Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Iran just banned crypto for 4 months because they'd rather use electricity for useful things than have rolling blackouts. This is good for bitcoin. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Seeing buttcoin on a bus is a good reason to sell any lol.

Also the medical blockchain chat, half the people working in the medical industry can barely figure out an EMR and a lot of the IT people in the medical industry are just straight up incompetent. Good luck getting them to use a regular database properly, much less something using a blockchain.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

Iran just banned crypto for 4 months because they'd rather use electricity for useful things than have rolling blackouts. This is good for bitcoin. Right?

this is good news for bitcoin! easier to mine those coins now y'all. go get your fractions worth!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
so this is loving nuts: in the past 4 weeks, something like $175-200mm of Bitcoin has been traded across all exchanges. In that same time period, roughly $20 billion in stablecoins has entered the system. That accounts for 10% of all trading

lol, absolute fraudulent and paper thin market

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a cryptologist and I say sell 'em all!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm a cryptozoologist and today I'd like to talk to you about a fantastic investment opportunity called ChupacabraCoin.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

oxsnard posted:

so this is loving nuts: in the past 4 weeks, something like $175-200mm of Bitcoin has been traded across all exchanges. In that same time period, roughly $20 billion in stablecoins has entered the system. That accounts for 10% of all trading

lol, absolute fraudulent and paper thin market
According to the latest on QuadrigaCX most of the action there was wash trading between fake accounts so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case at the majority of remaining exchanges.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

According to the latest on QuadrigaCX most of the action there was wash trading between fake accounts so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case at the majority of remaining exchanges.

yeah that just makes it all more sus lmao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

also this article is gold

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The gently caress are you so smug about? You don't understand it either. No one does. Actually building it requires solving a problem so complex that doing so would probably net one a Nobel Prize, and the ramifications of doing so would have such dramatic effects that the benefit to Bitcoin would be trivial in comparison.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

My cryptologist says I should insert more buttcoins

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Side effects may include: Confusion, anger or frustration, impaired thinking, a sudden loss of funds, the inability to articulate yourself, and a swelling of the ego.

Speak to your cryptologist today to find out if Buttcoin is right for your rear end in a top hat.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nessus posted:

Are funds safe?

safu? Not really. lol

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I mean, being a cryptographer is a valid career.. Moxie Marlinspike and Peter Gutmann being two prominent examples, but thread idiot certainly isn’t one.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I mean, being a cryptographer is a valid career.. Moxie Marlinspike and Peter Gutmann being two prominent examples, but thread idiot certainly isn’t one.

Look buddy, he clicks "renew cert" on a UI like 5 times a year. That's expertise, that is

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Cryptographer is a valid career, but with a very limited set of potential employers. One of the primary axioms of security engineering is not to roll your own encryption, use proven solutions. So cryptographers are generally in research roles whether public or private, not working as application developers solving real world problems. That might come down the line if something they've created turns out to be an improvement on existing technology, or as in the case of blockchain, it might not.

I strongly suspect that xtal isn't being paid as a cryptographer. It's just very important to him that the thread thinks he's really smart.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

We do not.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A cryptographer is someone that researched cryptocurrency and has invested in Bitcorn.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My crypt keeper says HELLO BOILS AND GHOULS! EHEHEHEHEHEHE

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm a cartographer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No no, a cryptographer is a crypto grapher, like so:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

craptography
buttcoin

it all makes sense now

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

spankmeister posted:

yep, definitely pyramid head

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

spankmeister posted:

5 million kinds of structural analysis in that graph.

What about the investment's fundamentals, like productivity, par value, dividends and... Oh. Bitcoin doesn't have any of those?

Neat.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Lol. Even "good" (ie- lucky) technical analysis folks will tell you that you ignore obvious fundamental trends at your peril.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Buttcoin fraud is fundamental.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
So according to the Single lunch article, tether has become the hodler of last resort that restricts the amount of Bitcoin hitting the open market so that... what? Some insiders can reap the gains?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

catspleen posted:

Buttcoin fraud is fundamental.

So which way is the fraud going?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

tehinternet posted:

About four ways simultaneously because no-one involved trusts anyone else involved

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

tehinternet posted:

up uP UP!!!

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Also down

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It’s going pretty well aamof

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

5 million kinds of structural analysis in that graph.

What about the investment's fundamentals, like productivity, par value, dividends and... Oh. Bitcoin doesn't have any of those?

Neat.

absolutely going gently caress yeah man at the fibonacci lines on that graph

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Andy Dufresne posted:

I strongly suspect that xtal isn't being paid as a cryptographer. It's just very important to him that the thread thinks he's really smart.

x- "bitcoin and bittorrent are similar because wallet addresses look a lot like magnet URIs" -tal is the furthest thing from a cryptographer possible.

Gazpacho posted:

So according to the Single lunch article, tether has become the hodler of last resort that restricts the amount of Bitcoin hitting the open market so that... what? Some insiders can reap the gains?

They're buying bitcoins with money they print themselves. When / if the market goes back up again they make a mint. Meanwhile they prevent the market from crashing too hard, which makes it more likely that there will be yet another cycle of suckers.

It's basically Modern Monetary Theory but for fraud.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Shumagorath posted:

yep, definitely pyramid head
excuse me how dare you compare that psychosexual monster to something so debauched as buttcoin

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

So they can prevent people from wanting to cash out. If too many do an exchange has to admit it doesn't have the money.

Or tether will have to remind people they have no contract that entitles them to any money if they own tether.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

Bitcoin: It's basically Modern Monetary Theory but for fraud.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Klyith posted:

It's basically Modern Monetary Theory but for fraud.

The best explanation of bitcoin I’ve ever seen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

only 10 days to financial independence and telling your boss to go gently caress himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gazpacho posted:

Well yeah, but here's the thing: they are the insiders -- or at least they feel like they are the insiders... that maybe they COULD be the insiders... maybe if it really does encompass the entire accumulated economy of planet Earth, they might just... maybe... if...