Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Unfortunately this is true. I had a labradoodle for 14 years (he was a rescue, but we chose him partly because of the doodle background). He absolutely was not hypoallergenic, and he shed like nothing else I've ever seen. Fine, white hairs all over everything.

If your particular dog has a silky coat, it's less likely to shed and produce a ton of dander, but there's no guarantee.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So far he (and his whole line) shed almost exactly zero.

The fur in the air was a non starter for me to begin with, and I was always going with a hair dog over a fur dog, no matter what.

I get the idea, though. So far, FIL, who can't see a dog without getting asthma hasn't had any issues with short visits, so at least he's not allergic to HIM.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Unfortunately this is true. I had a labradoodle for 14 years (he was a rescue, but we chose him partly because of the doodle background). He absolutely was not hypoallergenic, and he shed like nothing else I've ever seen. Fine, white hairs all over everything.

If your particular dog has a silky coat, it's less likely to shed and produce a ton of dander, but there's no guarantee.

There's also the fact that a ton of people are actually allergic to dog skin flakes (mmmm, barf) vs the actual hair shed by dogs a lot of the time. Allergy tests can tell you iirc, but I mean I just roll around in 20 ft of dogs 24/7 anyhow so, whatever.

The coat in that picture looks not silky but puppy coats can change a lot.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife is not allergic to dog fur or dander, but is absolutely allergic to their saliva. But even that appears to depend on the dog. She rarely had issues with our previous labradoodle, but she breaks out if our new lab/border collie mix licks her arm.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

He's very much not silky. Within minutes of a brush, he looks like that again. His parents are both super curly, and only one of their brood so far is silky.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife is not allergic to dog fur or dander, but is absolutely allergic to their saliva. But even that appears to depend on the dog. She rarely had issues with our previous labradoodle, but she breaks out if our new lab/border collie mix licks her arm.

Sounds like me with cats. My reaction ranges from nothing through can't breathe within minutes of entering the house.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sounds like me with cats. My reaction ranges from nothing through can't breathe within minutes of entering the house.

I burst into flames if I get near any cat. Even during college, when I was hanging out literally every night with my friend and his single geriatric cat (and a lot of benadryl), I never developed any resistance.

With dogs, if I'm around the same one frequently, over time I don't seem as allergic to it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone remember what puppy prices from reputable breeders were before COVID? I'm seeing American Cockers regularly going for $2,500 or even $3,000 now which seems a bit nuts unless I'm misremembering.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
We got our staffordshire bull terrier from a reputable breeder for $1800 in February, but for the year prior the price was $1500. You could definitely spend $3000 on a stafford if you wanted to, but that's not what I would call the market value. Were cocker spaniels going for like $2k before covid?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm sure there's plenty of price gouging still going on.

That's one of the reasons we looked at the breeder we chose initially, her pricing was the same for this litter as previous generations.

There's a doodle breeder she's familiar with who's north of $10k for the exact same dogs with all the same guarantees and testing.

Fortunately, stuff is opening up and a lot of the slowdowns will start gearing up again soon.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Anyone remember what puppy prices from reputable breeders were before COVID? I'm seeing American Cockers regularly going for $2,500 or even $3,000 now which seems a bit nuts unless I'm misremembering.

Danes haven't really changed much, neither have Newfies. I have a border collie coming and they definitely raised their prices almost double, but I need a herder real bad.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This article is bleak as all hell when it comes to the market. Prices about doubled across the board, and everything is waitlisted to hell and back so it might not be going back to normal anytime soon.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tayter Swift posted:

This article is bleak as all hell when it comes to the market. Prices about doubled across the board, and everything is waitlisted to hell and back so it might not be going back to normal anytime soon.

Check your local rescues folks because they’re are a LOT of breeder puppies in the system now that people are going back to work and are dumping their dogs.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Go in person to some shelters too.

I think a fair number of smaller dogs and ones that look like pure breeds get adopted or pulled by rescue organizations before they get their glamour shots posted for adoption.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yeah, the local rescue here is churning through dogs as fast as they can get them posted on their website. They took in a batch of 55 puppies back in February, and they had permanent homes for all of them within a month. Even the older dogs are going pretty fast.

If you don't need a dog RIGHT NOW, just wait another six months or so. Those cute pandemic puppies will be 1-2 year old mostly-untrained adolescent assholes that aren't nearly as cute when they chew up your sofa. On top of that, a lot of people will be going back to work and will realize they can't take care of a dog anymore.

Unfortunately, I foresee a huge flood of young dogs showing up in shelters by the end of 2021. Great if you want your pick of dogs, lovely if you're a dog. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, the local rescue here is churning through dogs as fast as they can get them posted on their website. They took in a batch of 55 puppies back in February, and they had permanent homes for all of them within a month. Even the older dogs are going pretty fast.

If you don't need a dog RIGHT NOW, just wait another six months or so. Those cute pandemic puppies will be 1-2 year old mostly-untrained adolescent assholes that aren't nearly as cute when they chew up your sofa. On top of that, a lot of people will be going back to work and will realize they can't take care of a dog anymore.

Unfortunately, I foresee a huge flood of young dogs showing up in shelters by the end of 2021. Great if you want your pick of dogs, lovely if you're a dog. :(

Per usual all we have is a flood of pits in our local shelters (I wanted to look for the hell of it). Very few cats and dogs in general, honestly. But dogs have been selling really high here for a while now.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's okay, my mom has found an upcoming Cavalier she wants instead :signings:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GoodBee posted:

Go in person to some shelters too.

I think a fair number of smaller dogs and ones that look like pure breeds get adopted or pulled by rescue organizations before they get their glamour shots posted for adoption.

This is exactly what happens around here. If you have a preference, get pre-approved and stay in contact about new animals. Lots are adopted or pending adoption before they get on the site.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 21, 2021

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Shove treats into him until he loves you?

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

breadnsucc posted:

what have i done

i adopted a dog that had been in the shelter for a long time and was noted as being poorly socialized, but he's really nice to me so far, I just want to take him on a walk with a leash but he won't let me leash him and I don't want to break trust by forcing it

what's he doing

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
It's sad that there was so much demand for puppies during the virus. We put off getting a puppy while people were quarantined because we wanted to make sure we were able to properly socialize the dog. I get people are social animals and isolation is difficult, but there's going to be so many young dogs that become reactive or develop separation anxiety. Hopefully they at least got potty trained more consistently with people working from home.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

breadnsucc posted:

He doesn't want treats!

Are you sure it’s a dog?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

breadnsucc posted:

He doesn't want treats!

Give him some time if you *just* got him. Mine didn't consistently take treats for maybe the first month but now he goes crazy for them. (Same story with his food too.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, if he's having trouble, you need to get him fully socialized with you and adjusted to your environment.

Once that trust is built, he'll be able to take social queues from you with much less anxiety.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

breadnsucc posted:

i opened the front door a tiny bit to go check the mail, he jumped off my second floor balcony and ran away fml

your chaos dog has succeeded in freedom once again

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is there some trick to getting a dog to shake water off? It'd be kinda nice if, once I finished giving my dog a bath, he'd shake excess water off before I started towelling him dry, but no, he always waits until I've soaked up a bunch of water with the first towel and then shakes. Like, buddy, there's no point now.

(Obviously not exactly a critical issue, I'm just curious)

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there some trick to getting a dog to shake water off? It'd be kinda nice if, once I finished giving my dog a bath, he'd shake excess water off before I started towelling him dry, but no, he always waits until I've soaked up a bunch of water with the first towel and then shakes. Like, buddy, there's no point now.

Clicker training is perfect for this. Click when he shakes and offer a treat. Then add a word (command) to it.
At least that's how one of my friends did it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

hahaha we taught "BRRRRRRLLLM" as their cue to shake. Just say it when they shake normally and they'll figure it out eventually.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GOD loving DAMMIT

Kid’s due any day now so fuckface and co are here to help out.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Kepler apparently has an appetite for eating rabbit poop. He doesn't care about his own poop or even other dog poop, but as soon as he sees/smells rabbit poop he makes a beeline for it. Our backyard at night is apparently a nonstop bunny orgy (mods, name change please), so every morning there are piles of pellets everywhere.

And... Now he has intestinal worms. The vet said it's an uncommon kind of tapeworm, which they usually get from eating rodents. Keps hasn't eaten any rodents, but I'd guess it came from the poop.

Easily treatable, but I feel like it's just going to keep happening. Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm doing some fence repairs to try to reduce the rabbit incursions, but I'd imagine it won't be super effective since the little bastards like to dig.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

Kepler apparently has an appetite for eating rabbit poop. He doesn't care about his own poop or even other dog poop, but as soon as he sees/smells rabbit poop he makes a beeline for it. Our backyard at night is apparently a nonstop bunny orgy (mods, name change please), so every morning there are piles of pellets everywhere.

And... Now he has intestinal worms. The vet said it's an uncommon kind of tapeworm, which they usually get from eating rodents. Keps hasn't eaten any rodents, but I'd guess it came from the poop.

Easily treatable, but I feel like it's just going to keep happening. Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm doing some fence repairs to try to reduce the rabbit incursions, but I'd imagine it won't be super effective since the little bastards like to dig.

About all the advice I have is that when I had skunks making their way into my back yard, I found the spots they liked to enter from, dug a short trench, put wire mesh in (secured to the back of the fence with some staples), and then filled the trench in again. It took a few iterations but eventually I found all their entry points. And the skunks, at least, weren't really gunning for anything in my yard; they were just using it as a transit path. Making it less appealing eventually got them to find alternate routes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

so, rabbits aren't rodents and they're vegetarians so your dog ate a mouse somewhere in there, my guy.

also, dogs love rabbit poo poo. you aren't gonna stop it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so, rabbits aren't rodents and they're vegetarians so your dog ate a mouse somewhere in there, my guy.

also, dogs love rabbit poo poo. you aren't gonna stop it.

The vet may have said "rodents" but we mentioned the rabbit poop, and she said "yeah, that could definitely be it". So. I can pretty much guarantee Kepler didn't eat a mouse. He is never unsupervised indoors or outdoors, unless he's in his crate at night.

It's possible he found some mouse poop, or apparently sometimes they can get worms by eating an infected flea.

I still want to keep the rabbits out of my yard. We're having a new fence built (not because of the rabbits, but because the old one is falling apart), so I'll probably try the chicken wire trick.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 21, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

breadnsucc posted:

oh man we successfully pooped outside two days in a row and haven't peed inside in 24 hours. We slept all night at the foot of my bed and we love car rides and wont jump out the window of a moving car and we love naps and long walks

and despite the fact that we were labeled as an evil biter at the shelter and were there almost two months we have not yet bitten anything(except food) or anyone though we are very skittish and most likely our last owner neglected us quite a bit and the way we jump away when we're about to be pet means maybe we were hit too we will work through this until we trust humans again.

your dog jumped off a 2nd floor balcony ad you're running around with the windows down in the moving car

come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 21, 2021