Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

Which one?

I forgot, and I don't have my bag right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Gnomon by Nick Harkaway

This is one of the trippiest novels I've ever read.

Synop:

From the widely acclaimed author of The Gone-Away World and Tigerman, comes a virtuosic new novel set in a near-future, high-tech surveillance state, that is equal parts dark comedy, gripping detective story, and mind-bending philosophical puzzle.

In the world of Gnomon, citizens are constantly observed and democracy has reached a pinnacle of ‘transparency.’ Every action is seen, every word is recorded, and the System has access to its citizens’ thoughts and memories–all in the name of providing the safest society in history.

When suspected dissident Diana Hunter dies in government custody, it marks the first time a citizen has been killed during an interrogation. The System doesn’t make mistakes, but something isn’t right about the circumstances surrounding Hunter’s death. Mielikki Neith, a trusted state inspector and a true believer in the System, is assigned to find out what went wrong. Immersing herself in neural recordings of the interrogation, what she finds isn’t Hunter but rather a panorama of characters within Hunter’s psyche: a lovelorn financier in Athens who has a mystical experience with a shark; a brilliant alchemist in ancient Carthage confronting the unexpected outcome of her invention; an expat Ethiopian painter in London designing a controversial new video game, and a sociopathic disembodied intelligence from the distant future.

Embedded in the memories of these impossible lives lies a code which Neith must decipher to find out what Hunter is hiding. In the static between these stories, Neith begins to catch glimpses of the real Diana Hunter–and, alarmingly, of herself. The staggering consequences of what she finds will reverberate throughout the world.

A dazzling, panoramic achievement, and Nick Harkaway’s most brilliant work to date, Gnomon is peerless and profound, captivating and irreverent, as it pierces through strata of reality and consciousness, and illuminates how to set a mind free. It is a truly accomplished novel from a mind possessing a matchless wit infused with a deep humanity.

take the moon

by sebmojo

Pleiadian Light posted:

Gnomon by Nick Harkaway

Synop:

From the widely acclaimed author of The Gone-Away World and Tigerman, comes a virtuosic new novel set in a near-future, high-tech surveillance state, that is equal parts dark comedy, gripping detective story, and mind-bending philosophical puzzle.

In the world of Gnomon, citizens are constantly observed and democracy has reached a pinnacle of ‘transparency.’ Every action is seen, every word is recorded, and the System has access to its citizens’ thoughts and memories–all in the name of providing the safest society in history.

When suspected dissident Diana Hunter dies in government custody, it marks the first time a citizen has been killed during an interrogation. The System doesn’t make mistakes, but something isn’t right about the circumstances surrounding Hunter’s death. Mielikki Neith, a trusted state inspector and a true believer in the System, is assigned to find out what went wrong. Immersing herself in neural recordings of the interrogation, what she finds isn’t Hunter but rather a panorama of characters within Hunter’s psyche: a lovelorn financier in Athens who has a mystical experience with a shark; a brilliant alchemist in ancient Carthage confronting the unexpected outcome of her invention; an expat Ethiopian painter in London designing a controversial new video game, and a sociopathic disembodied intelligence from the distant future.

Embedded in the memories of these impossible lives lies a code which Neith must decipher to find out what Hunter is hiding. In the static between these stories, Neith begins to catch glimpses of the real Diana Hunter–and, alarmingly, of herself. The staggering consequences of what she finds will reverberate throughout the world.

A dazzling, panoramic achievement, and Nick Harkaway’s most brilliant work to date, Gnomon is peerless and profound, captivating and irreverent, as it pierces through strata of reality and consciousness, and illuminates how to set a mind free. It is a truly accomplished novel from a mind possessing a matchless wit infused with a deep humanity.

this sounds dank op

i read queer and liked it cuz i could relate to some of it. finished the 2nd earthsea book and it was ok up to the end which was really well done. started some random collection of apocalypse stories. the king one sucked, the bagliucci (sp?) one was ok.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

Which one?

Le crépuscule au loin.

Jesus I'm dr,f.

3D Megadoodoo

I checked on-line that the signature is real. But he has come to Finland to sign his name (it's a Finnish translation). I hope it's a good book, as I paid all of 1,5 euros for it.

nut

i started reading Captains of Consciousness by Stuart Ewen after i saw him consulted as an expert about the history of advertising on part of the Century of the Self (as presented by the byob movie night) and I'm blown away. I'm dumb so even Ewen's very accessible style is slow for me, but he thoughtfully charts how consumptionism and advertising transformed the class of increasingly angry workers into self-deprecating consumers, each striving to wastefully consume as much as the rich they used to hate. It's wilder because he turns to old PR journals to show how brazenly this transformation was sought by advertising execs.

It is cool and good

nut

I also finished Omon Ra a while back and totally recommend it to if you want a very funny take on conspiracy in the cold war space race (this time from the Soviet perspective).

To tempt you, one of the funniest parts of the book involves Henry Kissinger hunting humans (just like in real life!)

ulvir

im reading to the lighthouse, and its v good

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ulvir posted:

Its one of my favourites OP

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
StupidSexyMothman

KaBob posted:

Gnomon by Nick Harkaway

this sounds like it rules, and I loved The Gone-Away World so I'll have to give this a read

I just finished A Death In The Family, by James Agee, since I am suddenly on a "read the books you skimmed in high school English class" kick. Gotta say this book hits different when you've actually had a death in the family & have a frame of reference for the reactions & emotions people go through. Young teenage me was fortunate not to really get the vibe of this.

wimsy

ulvir posted:

I'm reading the sequel, From the Lighthouse

wimsy

2Lighthouse

ulvir

lighthouse returned

ulvir

the bride of lighthouse

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
50 Shades Lighter House

take the moon

by sebmojo
all the pretty horses :unsmith:

----------------

more falafel please

forums poster

Light Another House

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

3D Megadoodoo

I'm on page 230 of a novel and I'm still not sure what the gently caress it's actually about.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Chewed through Max Barry's latest Providence and it was a wild ride. Very much begging for a film adaptation with every page. It's a bit of Enders Game, a bit of Aliens, and some of the claustrophobic vibe from Sunshine or Moon. A solid scifi thriller that just kept me glued to it.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm on page 230 of a novel and I'm still not sure what the gently caress it's actually about.

I read something like that once, it wasn't until the last 20% of the book that the author started thing everything together.

3D Megadoodoo

KaBob posted:

I read something like that once, it wasn't until the last 20% of the book that the author started thing everything together.

Yeah I sure hope that happens.

e: I guess it happened. Loads of things happened.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 27, 2021

wimsy

ulvir posted:

lighthouse returned

ulvir posted:

the bride of lighthouse

KaBob posted:

50 Shades Lighter House

more falafel please posted:

Light Another House

wimsy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah Finnegan's Wake can be a tough read

3D Megadoodoo

wimsy posted:

Yeah Finnegan's Wake can be a tough read

That's about farts, right?

nut

it’s p obviously a story about the waves behind a boat driven by a guy unfortunately named finneagan

3D Megadoodoo

nut posted:

it’s p obviously a story about the waves behind a boat driven by a guy unfortunately named finneagan

oh you could've spoilered tht :(

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

The Loop, about a cephalopod brain virus thing that infects a small town and turns the residents into thrill seeking murdery rage monsters

Providence, about the crew of a space warship being bored by the AI doing all the war so they go a little nuts but then also end up doing some real fighting

And still plugging away on Underworld, Don Delilo's weirdo paranoid novel about ... America, is the short way to put it. It's 1000 pages give or take and it jumps time and place and character pretty often so it's a bit dense for me. Been reading it off and on for the better part of three years

Dukes Mayo Clinic
I burned through a lot of Tom Clancy as an impressionable youth and revisiting some of it now is a trip. Red Storm Rising remains the Clanciest of Clancies for the fighter pilot shot down in Iceland evading capture because the Russian helicopter pilots think he’s just some nekulturny Icelander out fishing and showing off a handful of his local girlfriend’s titty.

e: this is no kind of a spoiler; you already know everything that happens in this book even if you’ve never read it.

nut

I finished Breaking Things at Work by Gavin Mueller yesterday which starts with the Luddites but argues that the struggle directly between the worker and the work they do has always included sabotage up to today. instead of trying to push some idealistic instructions for change it looks at what people actually do and have always done and build some cohesive insight out of it. it was very enjoyable, is short, and is v fun to learn about some of the ways workers rebel against their workplaces.

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading a large paperback from 1947 and I fear it'll fall apart in my hands :(

Then again it's mine, and I gotta read it what good is it otherwise!

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I am reading a collection of short stories by J.G. Ballard called Low Flying Aircraft. A bit dated and twee as a result but good nonetheless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I'm on an Otessa Moshfegh kick and I really like her so far. I guess I'm accidentally reading all her stuff in order and next up is My Year of Rest and Relaxation which I hear is the big one.

I also am back on translating some Paul Scheerbart. I might translate his long essay on Cervantes next.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

take the moon

by sebmojo
if comix count im reading the first elfquest run

----------------

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

nut posted:

I finished Breaking Things at Work by Gavin Mueller yesterday which starts with the Luddites but argues that the struggle directly between the worker and the work they do has always included sabotage up to today. instead of trying to push some idealistic instructions for change it looks at what people actually do and have always done and build some cohesive insight out of it. it was very enjoyable, is short, and is v fun to learn about some of the ways workers rebel against their workplaces.

Thanks, I just bought this and incidentally a poster about the Luddite movement has been on its way to my house for like a week now!

Bilirubin posted:

I am reading a collection of short stories by J.G. Ballard called Low Flying Aircraft. A bit dated and twee as a result but good nonetheless

I have a collection of his stuff but I've really only read High Rise and that one about the people that inhabit an abandoned median in the middle of a highway? They were pretty enjoyable though. The High Rise movie wasn't bad either.

Man, I LOVED The Road but the movie was terrible.

take the moon

by sebmojo
the road was like the one mccarthy ive read that i wasnt that into. just felt long and meandering and the ending seemed flukey

i love like everything else by him tho. blood meridian and suttree were bangers, child of god, and the first two books in that trilogy (havent read the 3rd)

----------------

Finger Prince

KaBob posted:

Gnomon by Nick Harkaway

Synop:

I fuckin hated that book. It is 1000% full of its own fart smelling. I think it's the only book I ever read that when I got to the end I was actually upset that the author would be so blatantly smug and up his own arse. It's also the only book I ever stopped to leave a negative review for, and I never leave reviews for poo poo. So I guess it is powerful, but maybe not in the way the author intended.

I kinda want to read Obama's latest memoirs (a promised land), but it's still like $18.99 on kindle, and while that's probably a bargain.... Ehhhh....

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 26, 2021

beer pal

just finished the woman in white very fun novel

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm on an Otessa Moshfegh kick and I really like her so far. I guess I'm accidentally reading all her stuff in order and next up is My Year of Rest and Relaxation which I hear is the big one.

I also am back on translating some Paul Scheerbart. I might translate his long essay on Cervantes next.

ive only read her latest one death in her hands, i liked it a lot. been a bit curious about R&R, i gather its a bit polarizing

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Eileen was really funny mostly because it is so grim and the heroine is such a ghoulish creep, it's like if Edward Gorey had to direct a giallo movie about E/N. I really liked it, it's wild how satisfying her stories are for how much they steadfastly deny the reader what they want.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

3D Megadoodoo

I only have to finish 0,815 books a week for the rest of the year to achieve my goal of 2 books for every week :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Achtane posted:

Thanks, I just bought this and incidentally a poster about the Luddite movement has been on its way to my house for like a week now!

would love to hear what you think of the book when you’re done!