Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
We use notion at new job, and it seems fine? Like any documentation system, you need people to actually keep it up to date, and while the search doesn't wow me, it lets me edit things easily enough that I can just rewrite docs as I need.

My personal preference is for text-based docs in a repo, at least for developer use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I use Notion for my own note taking. But for team use I’ve heard people talk back and forth about Notion v Roam.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Notion is okay, but it just got an API for interacting with it literally this past week.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

gay_crimes posted:

Has anyone used Notion as an alternative to Confluence? Our docs are spread across Confluence, Google docs, GitHub wikis, and more, and we don’t particularly love any of those locations, they all have their faults. Some people on my team and I thought Notion looked nice, and a few have used at other places, but we never pitched adopting it, we joked about how we would be adding to the problem with yet another place
Frankly speaking, if the issue is your documentation is spread out too much then things won't magically solve themselves by adding yet another tool. If nobody is curating any of it, Notion will just end up being yet another dumping ground of docs nobody can find.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

the CEO of my company says "frankly" multiple times a day and i've yet to hear him be frank about anything

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Travv0 posted:

the CEO of my company says "frankly" multiple times a day and i've yet to hear him be frank about anything
does he also say "challenges" instead of "problems"?

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Sagacity posted:

does he also say "challenges" instead of "problems"?

we don't have those things so neither i guess

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Travv0 posted:

we don't have those things
he's better than i thought

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
"opportunities for growth"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

if we think outside the box and open up some bandwidth for us to pivot our product to better navigate these unprecedented times... new normal... circle back... take this offline

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Sagacity posted:

Frankly speaking, if the issue is your documentation is spread out too much then things won't magically solve themselves by adding yet another tool. If nobody is curating any of it, Notion will just end up being yet another dumping ground of docs nobody can find.

Yeah, this.

Stuff like this is why I'm bummed I didn't get a library degree or some kind of arts degree - as the only in-house software tester, I have a whole bunch of knowledge swirling around my head, a lot of it is not very well explained nor properly documented anywhere (besides inside test plans/bug notes/stories, but those usually don't really explain the full logic, existing limitations, interactions with other parts of the software developed later, nor why I wrote a particular test unless you happen to have a good grasp on how the system works), and I feel like I'm ill-equipped to document and catalogue this info properly. Yet I'm doing it anyway, so I guess someone else can find my half-baked documentation 5 years from now and hopefully has a better chance than I did when I started at this organisation.

Speaking of, this past week I discovered a feature that had apparently existed before I arrived at the company, that wasn't set in any environments we had, was never documented anywhere, and the first I heard of it was last week in the form of a passing reference to it while looking for something else in a document written 3 years ago.

What makes this even more aggravating is this bit of functionality is very useful and yet apparently nobody knew about it, I assume coz most of the devs have since left.

Surprisingly, it still works, hurray. :toot:

Edit: Software archaeology is a real thing, yes? :v:

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 25, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My transfer from SQA to Junior Dev got approved. Yay

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RC Cola posted:

My transfer from SQA to Junior Dev got approved. Yay

Congrats!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Got eviscerated on my first feature pr today. Two senior engineers just tag team ripped this thing to shreds in review. I already felt like I took too long to get this feature built in the first place.

But at least I was extremely familiar with the code by then. I took it on the chin, worked through three rounds of review for the afternoon, ended up with a far superior pr by the end of the day.

I hope their impression of me is the guy quickly fixing things up and not the code I originally pushed, woof.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Got eviscerated on my first feature pr today. Two senior engineers just tag team ripped this thing to shreds in review. I already felt like I took too long to get this feature built in the first place.

But at least I was extremely familiar with the code by then. I took it on the chin, worked through three rounds of review for the afternoon, ended up with a far superior pr by the end of the day.

I hope their impression of me is the guy quickly fixing things up and not the code I originally pushed, woof.

The only time I would think poorly of a junior is if they kept making the same mistakes over and over.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're there to help you grow, by telling you how bad and wrong you are. They won't be upset if you actually grow, it's the opposite, they will be delighted that you can be better.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Volmarias posted:

They're there to help you grow, by telling you how bad and wrong you are. They won't be upset if you actually grow, it's the opposite, they will be delighted that you can be better.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"Ripped to shreds" as in a lot of corrections and comments, or as in "this is bad, you are bad, what tortured mind hath wrought this misbegotten function"?

If it's the first - don't take it personally. It feels rough to start, but it's part of the learning process and over time your average comments-per-PR will drop. One of my favourite things about my job is working with Jrs. and watching their overall PR completeness rise over time. We expect a lot of comments and corrections to start, because the more we get worked out now the better course you're on for the rest of the job.

If it's the second? :sever:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
At my company we have some FW that runs on an MCU as part of an IoT device. This FW must support the commercial application, but also R&D functionality and production functionality. Is there any general best practices regarding either maintaining a "single" FW that just supports everything, vs. separate commercial, R&D, and production builds/releases?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

N-thing what everyone else said. As long as they weren't being assholes about it, this is about helping you improve and maintaining code quality for everyone. Everyone was a junior once, and they're devoting some extra time away from their assigned tasks to help you along the learning curve. Keep at it and you'll be on the other side of these soon enough.

Also, and this may just be me, but I actually appreciate when the reviewee ask questions when they don't understand or pushes back a bit when they don't agree with a suggestion. Some juniors are reluctant to do that and just take my word as law. I've been doing this a long time, but I'm not infallible, and having to justify requested changes has helped me catch some of my own mistakes and unquestioned assumptions that I normally would have missed. And even if I'm usually right, it can still be useful to have both sides understand the other's reasoning.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Being ripped to shreds is unusual in my non-FAANG experience. Don’t you have a senior developer watching over you to make sure you’ve been on the right track the whole time?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

chglcu posted:

Also, and this may just be me, but I actually appreciate when the reviewee ask questions when they don't understand or pushes back a bit when they don't agree with a suggestion.
Agree with this, some of the most productive work conversations of my career have been started by this type of questioning, either asked by me or asked of me.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

If it's the first - don't take it personally. It feels rough to start, but it's part of the learning process and over time your average comments-per-PR will drop.

This. Nobody is expecting you to write perfect code, especially as a junior dev. Everyone makes mistakes - willingness to work with feedback and improve is what matters. I do try to phrase my comments a little more softly when I'm dealing with someone new though just so they don't take it the wrong way.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
There is no way a dev team worth their salt is NOT going to shred your first PR. As others have said, as long as it's stuff like, 'This is not the convention we use' and not 'ur bad and you should feel bad', that's a good sign. They want to mold you into a better engineer and I'd personally be really scared if my first PR with a new team doesn't get a lot of feedback.

Speaking of which, I start on said new team in 2 weeks. I'm excited and scared. My background is a lot of C# and C++ and I think my first project will be Python, a language I haven't touched in years, so it'll be fun/scary to spin back up on that. I expect my PRs to get shredded.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If they were being dicks about it I wouldn't have been cooperative. They were honest and blunt but I definitely felt a vibe of "we're doing this because we see potential".

I think the worst comment was "this is interesting", which I read as "lol wtf ru doin," because that's what I thought of when I fixed it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GFD wrong thread

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 27, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Boyfriend Won’t wear headphones when I’m home

:sever:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If they were being dicks about it I wouldn't have been cooperative. They were honest and blunt but I definitely felt a vibe of "we're doing this because we see potential".

I think the worst comment was "this is interesting", which I read as "lol wtf ru doin," because that's what I thought of when I fixed it.

That's a good one, ha. Right alongside "I would not have thought of this" in terms of mystery.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cyril Sneer posted:

At my company we have some FW that runs on an MCU as part of an IoT device. This FW must support the commercial application, but also R&D functionality and production functionality. Is there any general best practices regarding either maintaining a "single" FW that just supports everything, vs. separate commercial, R&D, and production builds/releases?

Keep them separate you'll have to do insane bullshit in your qc support tests or whatever that you don't want to be in the wild. the r&d stuff is a little more open but probably same. if you really want to you can use cmopiler flags for different build profiles in your CI I guess.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
To give perspective from another viewpoint, I joined as a senior, replacing the outgoing senior. I tend to work primarily on a green fields project but have to maintain some legacy stuff every now and then.

My junior/intermediate has a lot more experience with that stuff so he tends to have useful feedback for me on my PRs, and I’ve learned a lot more about the legacy codebase from his feedback than by just working on it directly.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah, I basically learned professional python on the job as a Sr., and without an incredibly detailed reviewer early in that project I wouldn't be nearly as competent as I am today.

Relevant:
https://twitter.com/Prokaryota/status/1397132528985706498

Said reviewer was LG and I wanted to hate her so much but god dammit they were all good comments

e: yeah my first PR had 36 comments :negative: (we didn't have automated linting yet)

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2021

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So I'm the principal (backend) engineer at a really small little company launching a product, and I've been tasked/picked up the devops/deployment tasks. I've got the basics containerized and our deploy pipeline working (for a variety of reasons this is the best approach for us right now), but it's obviously very rudimentary and I'm kicking some cans down the road (things we don't need to deal with today, genuinely). But does anyone have a good watch/read on Docker (or really, containerization and devops generally...not wedded to Docker, but again for a variety of reasons it's the best approach for us today) best practices? I just want to make sure I don't write us into too many corners that'll be a pain to get us out of.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The worst kind of reviewers are the type that will make one single request to make a correction, wait for you to fix it, then go back to the pull request and make a single other correction, non stop until you have managed to finish every single issue they've fed you piecemeal for two weeks straight.

I had one reviewer have a very ageist stance during a pull request today and I'm debating whether or not to shrug it off or drop it on HR to deal with.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So I'm the principal (backend) engineer at a really small little company launching a product, and I've been tasked/picked up the devops/deployment tasks. I've got the basics containerized and our deploy pipeline working (for a variety of reasons this is the best approach for us right now), but it's obviously very rudimentary and I'm kicking some cans down the road (things we don't need to deal with today, genuinely). But does anyone have a good watch/read on Docker (or really, containerization and devops generally...not wedded to Docker, but again for a variety of reasons it's the best approach for us today) best practices? I just want to make sure I don't write us into too many corners that'll be a pain to get us out of.

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading up about 12 factor apps. It doesn't cover everything, but it's one of the best single-source resources for modern applications / "devops". Containers are really more of an implementation detail than they are a fundamental technology change, but you should be able to get a good handle on most of your future questions about using docker in prod by googling "how do I do <thing from 12 factor> in docker?".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

12 rats tied together posted:

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading up about 12 factor apps. It doesn't cover everything, but it's one of the best single-source resources for modern applications / "devops". Containers are really more of an implementation detail than they are a fundamental technology change, but you should be able to get a good handle on most of your future questions about using docker in prod by googling "how do I do <thing from 12 factor> in docker?".

Yeah, containers were our choice for a variety of reasons but a lot of it stems from a personal distaste of the many places I've worked where local development environments were more or less every developer for themselves with limited repeatability or consistency. This way everyone works with the exact same environment, from local to dev to QA to prod. But it's 100% just an implementation detail; I just want to make sure that we're not doing stupid poo poo with them. Thanks for the 12 factor thing, this will be super helpful as I make sure a bunch of cowboys don't make life hard for everyone.

Note this "cowboy" appellation includes me, I am not immune to just going #yolo

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I had one reviewer have a very ageist stance during a pull request today and I'm debating whether or not to shrug it off or drop it on HR to deal with.

:confused: what the gently caress? Did they call you a child for using a particular framework or something?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

:confused: what the gently caress? Did they call you a child for using a particular framework or something?

Zoomer called the millenial a boomer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

csammis posted:

I'm guessing the opposite. "Listen up, POPS, we use mandatory braces here, and if you don't like it why don't you go back to your PDP-11 and write a punchcard about it?"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
On that note can I just say how liberating it is to select a code style and enforce it from the get-go so there's no debate? My boss (the CTO) asked if I'd used it at previous jobs. No, no, I just don't want to debate code style. Black is good enough, it enforces a style, that's literally all I care about: ending debate about about style and forcing everyone to write code in a particular way.

Being able to just unilaterally make these decisions is so great, and I can't wait to see what awful decisions I make...but these are the right ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The worst kind of reviewers are the type that will make one single request to make a correction, wait for you to fix it, then go back to the pull request and make a single other correction, non stop until you have managed to finish every single issue they've fed you piecemeal for two weeks straight.
Sometimes I get into something similar with our juniors just because *glaring defect* means they're probably going to have to rewrite a bunch of things anyway.