Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I just cut my grass, man. I don't give two shits about it looking good by bothering with stripes or whatever, lawns are just an extra, boring loving chore that takes up time when you could be doing something else you'd actually want to do. I'm assuming this guy feels the same hence robomower.

My 1960's john deere go brrr (well it stopped half way through yesterday).
It's currently parked in the lawn until i find the right belt. I'm sure the HOA assholes across the road (not part of it) love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just swapped the seat cushions on my S2000. The driver’s side bolster was more worn than the passenger side, and it was an easy 30 minute job. I’m considering buying a seat set off eBay that has a good passenger seat missing some of the trim pieces so I can make that side look better as well, then maybe re-sell the meh set I’d have left over.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I thought the seats were ungodly expensive for s2ks? Like that would total the car (before they shot up in price maybe) if they got stolen.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

I hate that I'm now the middle aged creep looking for ethanol free gas for my older car. In the 80s I woulda been the dork that knows the location of every leaded gas pump in the county

Late on this- I also have a ton of pumps local that have ethanol free gas for a little more than e10, for now. They tend to have 87, 89, 90, with the 89 labelled as "contains less than 10% ethanol", in season, I'll often go with the 89 if the 90 has spiked in price as it seems to do once everyone gets their boats out.

However,

https://www.pure-gas.org/ is a decent resource.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Suburban Dad posted:

I thought the seats were ungodly expensive for s2ks? Like that would total the car (before they shot up in price maybe) if they got stolen.

I think it was more of an issue when they came out two decades ago? (Oh God). Brand new car with desirable seats that can be easily stolen. Plus dealership prices for that kind of stuff can be astronomical, look at what they want for factory alloy wheels.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

All gasoline in Alaska and Hawaii is ethanol-free unless otherwise marked.

All the rest of you have funny smelling gas stations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Suburban Dad posted:

Depends on what you buy. There are $1k seats that are decent and then there are $4k seats that are showroom fresh.

The ones I have my eyes on are $550 but the driver’s seat is fairly trashed and the trim pieces are missing from both. I really just need the passenger cushion so the price is still reasonable.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

chrisgt posted:

It's currently parked in the lawn until i find the right belt. I'm sure the HOA assholes across the road (not part of it) love that.

They're gathering and pointing and saying to themselves "that's why we have an HOA" then later complaining that they have to ask someone to bring in the trash while they're gone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Depends on what you buy. There are $1k seats that are decent and then there are $4k seats that are showroom fresh.

The ones I have my eyes on are $550 but the driver’s seat is fairly trashed and the trim pieces are missing from both. I really just need the passenger cushion so the price is still reasonable.

drat, seats went up in price. I couldn't give mine away a couple of years ago.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Guess I found my next automotive project

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

drat, seats went up in price. I couldn't give mine away a couple of years ago.

Couldn’t give away S2000 seats? That seems like a Twilight Zone episode

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Couldn’t give away S2000 seats? That seems like a Twilight Zone episode

Yeah, I think most people wanted AP2 seats though.

I think I sold them both for like $350 or something. It has been a while.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

StormDrain posted:

They're gathering and pointing and saying to themselves "that's why we have an HOA" then later complaining that they have to ask someone to bring in the trash while they're gone.

Normally I'd get the attex and drag it back to the garage, but i know it annoys Karen sitting there....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

StormDrain posted:

Personally, because I'm something of a contrarian, I'd be inclined to leave that mower there, buy another one, and just start mowing around it, solely because of the HOA across the road.

chrisgt posted:

Normally I'd get the attex and drag it back to the garage, but i know it annoys Karen sitting there....

Your doing God's work. Good man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Personally, because I'm something of a contrarian, I'd be inclined to leave that mower there, buy another one, and just start mowing around it, solely because of the HOA across the road.
Your doing God's work. Good man.

I had to check if you were Elviscat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm not a fan of HOAs.

I don't generally intentionally make messes, but I tend to get hostile to people who aren't governments trying to tell me what I can and can't do on and with property I own. PArticularly if enforcement is... selective.
I solve the problem by not buying property in an HOA, of course.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm not a fan of HOAs.

HOAs decrease property values. Change my mind. :colbert:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I purposely bought in a neighborhood without a HOA because even the possibility of idiots complaining about my hobbies.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I purposely bought in a neighborhood without a HOA because even the possibility of idiots complaining about my hobbies.

:same:
An HOA was a deal-killer when we were shopping, even 20 years ago.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Darchangel posted:

:same:
An HOA was a deal-killer when we were shopping, even 20 years ago.

‘No HOA’ is probably one of the top-5 buyer requests. *At best* they’re a neutral for buyers.

I don’t know anybody who likes HOAs.

Even as a kid it was obvious. They tried to make my parents pay the back dues from the former owner of the house. Later they put out a list of approved home colors so the guy next door to the HOA president decided to test the rules and painted his house with military surplus paint. Turned out they were pretty toothless, but because of their stupid rules there was an olive drab house for 20 years.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Advent Horizon posted:

I don’t know anybody who likes HOAs.

People who want a reason to complain about "the coloureds" that just moved in.

"No, I'm not racist, they just don't cut their grass short enough".

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Motronic posted:

So to me that means it just looks like poo poo. Evenly cut poo poo, but.....yeah. Random patterns aren't what I'd expect and if you have decent law it's gonna show that.

Although I looked at them and lol none are rated to do as much grass as I have (and am actively working to reduce).

Hey, I mow mine in 4 rotated patterns, you don't have to convince me. I just said it looks better than my immediate neighbor, who might mow his once every 2-3 weeks. Mowing is my zen time, when I don't have to worry about anything except making straight lines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So far the only HOA issue I have is the rule against vinyl/composite sheds and that was written 25 years ago so I'm hopeful they will change it or make an exception when I present my letter or appeal.
My new lawn is a third smaller than the last house but that one was an overgrown nightmare so I'm actually enjoying the mowing experience now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Lawns are cars and car parts. Aside from that, rock or sand.
HOAs are for karen and karen accessories.
lol gently caress a lawn and gently caress HOAs.

Managed to figure out how to mount the spare to my rolling house on wheels. Of course on the day I planned to pick it up I noticed a valve stem leaking during pretrip. Good things, pretrip. Would have sucked to get a flat at 65mph. Tech thinks it was hosed with. Was staying in a campground that got busy over the weekend, wtf, why? whatever.

Now I gotta move the rear camera because its field of view is T I R E. Didn't drag it on a jeep trail, minor victories, went better than planned.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

While I was gone, Rockauto figured out how to get blister pack light bulbs to me in one piece (:ssh: it's bubble wrap and a box, instead of a loving padded envelope). Of course, those - the H1s in Napa packaging (they're supposed to be Wagner +80 bulbs) - are meant as spares for Brokeback (they were on clearance for <$2/ea), which is currently in a wrecked condition. I'm hoping to be able to bring it back, but if not, I'll raid junkyards for BH Legacy dual beam/Outback headlamps, polish them, and sell them as having new bulbs in them on eBay.

The HELLA bulbs are for the Matrix. It uses 9006s, but 9012s are very easy to modify to fit, and put out ~870 more lumens without blinding anyone (same cutoff, bulb is positioned the same in the housing, just have to file one tab down). When I pulled the bulbs, one was a Sylvania, so likely original to the car. The other was some brand I'd never heard of (CEC), so probably replaced when the car failed inspection for a headlight out or something like that. Both were decently blackened. The car does run the low beams at almost full brightness as DRLs; bright enough that you think your headlights are on. Luckily, at least for this generation Corolla/Matrix, even the super bare bones models have full automatic headlights (with no way to shut them off when you park :argh: unless you set the parking brake, shut off the engine, then restart the engine). They kick on about 20 seconds after you release the parking brake (or go out of park on the automatic version).

Trimming in progress - this was enough to fit 9005s into the high beams on Brokeback, but the Toyota's tolerances were a bit tighter, so I had to trim a little more (you also have to trim off the top of the top tab on the 9006s, vs just the side of it)

I was so close already. Just had to nip a tiny bit off the top. I just used cheap wire nippers/cutters, though the plastic on these Hella bulbs is a bit brittle (they have a date code of 2012, so they've been sitting around for a minute or two... typical Rockauto)

FWIW, this is a stock 9006 bulb that came out of the Matrix - gives you a good idea of what you have to do to that top tab (e: I just noticed that one is 51W, wtf? no wonder that one seemed dimmer... the other was 55W)

This is what you have to do to adapt 9011/9012 bulbs to 9005/9006 headlamps:

Worthwhile upgrade for anyone using 9005 and/or 9006 bulbs - they sit in the exact same position in the housing, so no glare for oncoming traffic, it's basically like throwing those cheap 100 watt bulbs in instead of 55 watt. Except these are 55 watt that just run a little hotter. A phone camera can't really show the difference, but it's a very noticeable difference just against the garage. Might drive it around the parking lot in a few and see how much better it lights up the road. The high beams on it are already "make your favorite deity go "HOLY poo poo WHO MOVED THE SUN", so I don't feel the need to swap those to 9011s.

e: just took it around the apt complex. The low beams are on par with Brokeback's now (which are really good for halogens, now that they're aimed properly and have +80 bulbs - the bulbs I put in the Matrix are just the cheapest bulbs I could find on Rockauto). I don't feel like I've taped a bunch of candles to the bumper now. I'm sure part of it was just ancient bulbs that are half blackened, but the extra lumen difference has been very noticeable on every car I've done this on.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 27, 2021

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
The wheels on this GTI had been curbed and bent before, so I had them welded up and powder coated the last time I changed the tires. The tires on them were finally used up, so I used it as an excuse to downsize to 17" and get chunky.

The whole car now looks like a Converse All Star, it's great, and I'm glad I finally spent the money to do it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I loving love OZ rally wheels :circlefap:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to see the whole car!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wzm posted:

The wheels on this GTI had been curbed and bent before, so I had them welded up and powder coated the last time I changed the tires. The tires on them were finally used up, so I used it as an excuse to downsize to 17" and get chunky.

The whole car now looks like a Converse All Star, it's great, and I'm glad I finally spent the money to do it.

White wheels = Best wheels, always always ALWAYS.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

WeatherTech floormats for the Jeep:

Krakkles posted:

These fit really well. I'd like to figure out a hold-down, since it appears that the driver side HAD one, but it must have been removed/broken off prior to my ownership. I wonder if I can just stuff a bolt in there. There's a hole there that I kind of always just ignored. edit: Apparently it's just this thing, which is easy enough.

They're more plasticy than I imagined, but I think that's actually a good thing - they seem like they'll be basically bulletproof.

And received parts to fix the Mustang, so I know what I'm doing Memorial Day weekend.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KakerMix posted:

White wheels = Best wheels, always always ALWAYS.

Wish I still had this even if it was a tinny French piss pot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

WeatherTech floormats for the Jeep:
And received parts to fix the Mustang, so I know what I'm doing Memorial Day weekend.

Those floor mats rule and also make me question my choices in life. Basically if I cover the entire floor in hard vinyl why did the truck need carpet in the first place.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Those floor mats rule and also make me question my choices in life. Basically if I cover the entire floor in hard vinyl why did the truck need carpet in the first place.
My experiences with Internationals tell me that it's certainly not going to do anything for NVH, so I'd say the only purpose it serves is absorbing and releasing terrible smells over long periods of time :v:

Really, though, the floormats will keep the carpet nice(ish, in my case - they're not wrecked, but they're not that nice, either) and easier to clean, the carpet probably does make for some comfort or something.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

After 18 months of being on axle stands, the old 1966 Ford Falcon XP ute is back on rubber. Next up is to get the engine pulled out to replace the leaky rear main seal, refresh the brake (put in a dual circuit master cylinder) and then body work

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

My experiences with Internationals tell me that it's certainly not going to do anything for NVH, so I'd say the only purpose it serves is absorbing and releasing terrible smells over long periods of time :v:

Really, though, the floormats will keep the carpet nice(ish, in my case - they're not wrecked, but they're not that nice, either) and easier to clean, the carpet probably does make for some comfort or something.

Hah! I should have specified I meant in my Sierra. It's got a bench front seat so basically you don't see a lick of carpet in it. When I vacuum it up I consider taking it out to have a carpet experience for a few months, but it's either winter snow, mud season from the jobsite, or camping. No good time for clean feet in it.

The floor in the Binder is vinyl, I zazzed it up by putting an underlayment beneath it though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I installed the head unit I got from sa mart today in my old ranger and wired up a backup camera to it.
Hooray!

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 31, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Hello old friend, haven't seen you in a while

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Spent $1200 on Rock Auto to fix all my hoopties.

$100 Mazdaspeed Miata - Coils, plugs, wires, filters, belts, gaskets
$50 Forester - Gas cap (evap code) and trans/air/fuel filters
$350 Wrangler - Oil filter/cooling housing, intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, filters
$700 F150 - Coil packs, plugs, plug repair threadsert tool+loctite, steering arms/joints (complete overhaul), evap can sensor, fuel filter, trans filter

I'm not excited about the ~20 hours of work ahead of me.
And now that I've wrote this I forgot about ordering a Master/booster for the F150. Shoot. Goodbye money.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

dissss posted:

Hello old friend, haven't seen you in a while

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Figured out why the Fiat kept throwing belts and gave it an oil change.

Fixed the headlight on the Locost.

Little stuff but garage time is good.