Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Short load time/60 fps Deus Ex is a significant improvement.

The problem with fps boost is that Microsoft said they wouldn't do it if the developer planned to enhance the game themselves, so if a game is boosted it might be confirmation that there's no next gen patch coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

didnt prey get FPS boost for series X like months ago? i jumped back in where i left off on my 30fps play thru on my one X and was confused and asked the thread about starting again.

pretty sure it was 60fps when i did that revisit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Laserface posted:

didnt prey get FPS boost for series X like months ago? i jumped back in where i left off on my 30fps play thru on my one X and was confused and asked the thread about starting again.

pretty sure it was 60fps when i did that revisit.

Yeah the Bethesda games were before the last big batch.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

folks who have bought an xsx 1) not at launch and 2) in australia: how’d you do it. what’s the secret. Stock seems to just drop randomly?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

folks who have bought an xsx 1) not at launch and 2) in australia: how’d you do it. what’s the secret. Stock seems to just drop randomly?

I had a pre-order @ EB that i got in the second wave of deliveries.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cinara posted:

When most people refer to 2k they are talking about 1440p, not 1080p.
That makes zero sense.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Akuma posted:

That makes zero sense.

it makes as much sense as switching to 4K as the name for 3840x2860 after measuring everything on the vertical axis.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

it makes as much sense as switching to 4K as the name for 3840x2860 after measuring everything on the vertical axis.
Yes and no. It's cumbersome to make that switch but if we're going to use 4K to refer to 3840 vertical lines (which we do) it makes zero sense to use 2K to refer to 2560 vertical lines and not 1920 which is half of 3840.

No part of 2560x1440 is anywhere near "2K"

I know you know this I'm just annoyed by this knowledge.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have never seen anyone use “2K” to refer to 1440p, or any other resolution for that matter.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have never seen anyone use “2K” to refer to 1440p, or any other resolution for that matter.

In actual real-life usage it's primarily a film industry term and refers to 2048×1080 resolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 26, 2021

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Go on Amazon and search for a 2K monitor. It's a thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

2.5k is the res of a lot of those 360 cameras

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any idea if Death of the Outsider is ever going to gamepass?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Anytime I have seen 2K mentioned, I always assumed it to be 1080p defined in the current descriptive manner.

I also noticed a strange thing with me. I've been gaming for 40 years now. Frame rate never bothered me. Loading times never bothered me, resolution never bothered me. All because I started playing on systems with probably a 240p resolution with 2 FPS and loading times of 10 minutes.

I've recently gotten myself a Series S (I only have a 1080p TV) and have been playing Dishonored with the FPS boost. I installed Dishonored 2 last night which doesn't have the FPS boost and was immediately struck by how much the lower frame rate actually made a difference to my thoughts about the game.

However, that thought only lasted about 2 minutes. Once I was actually playing the game I didn't care because I was now invested in the story and gameplay instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dishonored 2 is definitely at the extreme end of bad 30fps. It has insanely high input lag as well, I HATED playing it on PS4. It really annoyed me because I love Arkane's games so I'm really hoping it gets the FPS boost treatment.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played them both on a PC with at the time a decent GPU and I absolutely hated the performance of Dishonored 2 after 1 ran flawlessly on my older card. I kept seeing 2 pop up in GOTY lists and such and Prey's FPS boost has made me realize that actually a game running well is a lot more important to my enjoyment of it than I thought

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

a game running well is a lot more important to my enjoyment of it than I thought

Absolutely. To be honest, I don't mind 30fps THAT much, like most of the great Sony exclusives were 30fps but the killer for me is bad input lag, which Dishonored 2 and Prey both had. I can't wait to see what MS does with the FPS boost stuff. I'd LOVE if they did Kingdom Come: Deliverance. That was another CryEngine title that ran like absolute poo poo on PS4.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Should Kingdom Come receive an fps boost, I know I'll just buy it again. I had it as well on the PS4 but I can't go back to that machine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Any idea if Death of the Outsider is ever going to gamepass?

Imo if you already played d2 you have seen the best parts of doto already. Maybe if you are more into the narrative than me you'll like it, but having paid for rehashes of d2 levels and a few lovely linear new levels i was not satisfied

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

John F Bennett posted:

I just played Maneater for about an hour and that seems like enough for me.

Best thing about that was the Dunky video.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Imo if you already played d2 you have seen the best parts of doto already. Maybe if you are more into the narrative than me you'll like it, but having paid for rehashes of d2 levels and a few lovely linear new levels i was not satisfied

I stopped very very early into D2

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Microsoft is holding an Xbox and Bethesda showcase on June 13th

TIme to get excited about.... something or nothing?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm incredibly excited! I can't believe they're gonna give free Series X's to everyone who watches!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Dragon's Dogma should get a fps boost patch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A problem I'm having with gamepass is that there's enough games on there I want to try out but I don't have nearly enough time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Include a free ESO subscription for Game Pass Ultimate is about the only thing that could come out of this that I would care about.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
sea of thieves 2 and killer instinct 4 (っ.❛ ᴗ ❛.)っ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sot 2 is called everwild

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Next gen update for Minecraft... coming mid 2023.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Pre-order here.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Absolutely. To be honest, I don't mind 30fps THAT much, like most of the great Sony exclusives were 30fps but the killer for me is bad input lag, which Dishonored 2 and Prey both had. I can't wait to see what MS does with the FPS boost stuff. I'd LOVE if they did Kingdom Come: Deliverance. That was another CryEngine title that ran like absolute poo poo on PS4.

Dishonored 2 on One X is a huge improvement over PS4, and I'd say it's better than the PC version as well since that's just so utterly hosed. It got an X-Enhanced patch that stabilized to 30fps (mostly, nobody escapes some hiccups on the boat ride into Karnaca but it's minimal compared to the slideshow on PS4) and upgraded the resolution but even without an FPS Boost (I think it'll get one in the next batch, the first game and Death of the Outsider already have) that's the best way to play the game right now, imo. I'm really curious how Deathloop will run since it's basically Dishonored in a different art style that looks much less demanding, so I'd expect 60fps by default.

Curious about the future of Arkane as well. It's clear that they were told to make something new because the Dishonored sequels didn't become smash hits (which is tragic when you look at their competition) and Deathloop might have been a final chance scenario for them, but now they're under Microsoft I think they're safe and might hopefully return to the Dishonored franchise sometime. They created such a great world and it seemed like they would head to Tyvia in a theoretical Dishonored 3.

On a completely random note, I don't know if anyone's heard about this or if it's true but apparently NetherRealm Studios are working on a Marvel vs. X-Men game using the Injustice 2 engine. I really like Mortal Kombat but it seems a very weird choice for a Marvel versus game. I hope they make it 3v3 and can make it as chaotically fun as the older MvC games. Will be nice to see the Marvel & X-Men license together again as well. Will be a shame to see Capcom miss out but their fighting games have been utter disasters and they've been on a good roll with Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry. Hope we get DMC VI sometime, I think V sold really well?

BoosterDuck posted:

killer instinct 4

The KI devs are working on a new game but they confirmed it's not a new KI unfortunately. Hopefully we get lucky and it's their next project, it should be one of Xbox's core franchises imo since it's basically Microsoft's equivalent of Smash Bros. and after the Bethesda acquisition they can really go wild with the roster (Doom guy & Corvo please).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

The KI devs are working on a new game but they confirmed it's not a new KI unfortunately. Hopefully we get lucky and it's their next project, it should be one of Xbox's core franchises imo since it's basically Microsoft's equivalent of Smash Bros. and after the Bethesda acquisition they can really go wild with the roster (Doom guy & Corvo please).

Didn't realize it was confirmed no new KI. :( But if they are working on a new I.P. fighting game, that would still be really cool.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If I remember correctly, the way it was found out was someone asking "Is your new game a fighting game?" and the devs responded with "No" which instantly ruled out KI, and obviously any other fighter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Dishonored 2 on One X is a huge improvement over PS4, and I'd say it's better than the PC version as well since that's just so utterly hosed. It got an X-Enhanced patch that stabilized to 30fps (mostly, nobody escapes some hiccups on the boat ride into Karnaca but it's minimal compared to the slideshow on PS4) and upgraded the resolution but even without an FPS Boost (I think it'll get one in the next batch, the first game and Death of the Outsider already have) that's the best way to play the game right now, imo.

Thanks for the info. I have it downloading now. I’m absolutely hooked on Prey at the moment but I might play it next.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Haven't played Prey but apparently the Mooncrash DLC is amazing. It seems to be a replayable rogue-like type of experience that's pulled off really well, where there's some randomization to make replays fun but also necessary since I think they expect you to die a fair amount and learn new things each time until you can get that perfect run. I think an Arkane dev said it was actually what inspired them to make Deathloop, was taking the Mooncrash DLC and basing a whole game around the idea.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Haven't played Prey

It’s maybe the most underrated game of the past gen as far as I’m concerned.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its rated very highly tho

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Disohonored 1 was also like sleeper title of the year for the end of the ps3/360 era. was a better sequel to bioshock than bioshock infinite was.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It’s maybe the most underrated game of the past gen as far as I’m concerned.

I should really like it and I'm interested in Mooncrash a lot but I don't think it's standalone, and something about the base game niggles me. I like that it takes place on a big space station with different zones and seems kind of Metroid-ish? It has a nice art style, I like that you can go outside into space as well. I think it's the enemies? The black slime monsters seem kinda goofy but I get why with the whole mimic thing where they could be any random object? I know it's a dumb nitpick to have for a game but I think subconsciously I'm comparing it to the first Bioshock and how creepy it was with splicers crawling on walls/ceilings and the big daddies, and then the link to playing System Shock 2 and trying to fight weird animated corpses with just a wrench after a camera saw me was creepy. Meanwhile what I've seen of the enemies in Prey seem a little goofy. Dumb nitpick, I know. Should probably go back and watch review footage as I doubt it's as bad as what's in my mind right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Prey was very poorly marketed, much like anything Bethesda has put out in recent years that isn’t Elder Scrolls/Fallout, and was a new IP.

Also an immersive sim RPG. I honestly don’t think that particular genre has a ton of mainstream popularity. The Preys/Deus Exs/Dishonoreds of the world never seem to set the world on fire. I guess Cyberpunk is the exception since it sold like 13 million copies.