Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Are the resulting demon skills in a fusion only from the pool they have at their disposal at the time of fusing them or is it based on the level of the resulting demon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Dorkopotamis posted:

Yeah, the game isn't so much balanced around the DLC they released with the deluxe edition.

My advice to anyone buying the remaster: don't buy the deluxe edition or separately, the Mercy and Expectation Map Pack. If you don't know what you're doing (and I didn't) you'll become over-leveled extremely quickly and the game will become trivial.

:stonk:

I finished the game (TDE) at level 76

edit:

Spermando posted:

Are the resulting demon skills in a fusion only from the pool they have at their disposal at the time of fusing them or is it based on the level of the resulting demon?

It's the pool of skills that the fusing demons have, with the caveat that demons and skills have traits, and inheritable skills are restricted by them. For example, the Elements don't have mouths, so you can't fuse elements (or mitamas, since those come from fusing elements together) to have mouth skills, like war cry, or fog breath.

b0lt fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 26, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Nobody should be taking Dorkopotamis seriously here, there's no way to "accidentally" get to level 70 or whatever.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.fangamer.com/collections/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne/products/smt3-poster

Apparently Fangamer added the Fiends artwork I posted in poster form. Def grabbed one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is really weird, that's the Incubus in Yoyogi park who is talking about the woman in the healing room, right? I talked to him and chose both options and I don't remember him saying this to me yesterday

No, it's a reference to Mother Harlot.

The demons in SMT have always had out of place dialogue. It's one of their things. They just exist in a weird state of non-time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's a screenshot from "Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

well have you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably been asked a lot in this thread, but what's the best strategy for Matador? I assume lowering his attack is a must, but I don't know what to recruit or fuse to get Tarunda.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Get to L18 and fuse an Ame-no-Uzume. She helps a lot because she nulls Force IIRC and has Media. Nozuchi also drains Force, and you can equip the Hifumi magatama from the Ginza Underpass shop to null it yourself. If you debuff him enough he’ll just cast Dekaja and remove your debuffs, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing because he has to waste one of his two actions for that!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Get to L18 and fuse an Ame-no-Uzume. She helps a lot because she nulls Force IIRC and has Media. Nozuchi also drains Force, and you can equip the Hifumi magatama from the Ginza Underpass shop to null it yourself. If you debuff him enough he’ll just cast Dekaja and remove your debuffs, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing because he has to waste one of his two actions for that!

I don't think Matador actually has Dekunda or Dekaja? I had 4 Sukukaja's stacked on my team and 4 Tarundas and Rakundas on him and he never did anything about, just kept attacking like normal.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably been asked a lot in this thread, but what's the best strategy for Matador? I assume lowering his attack is a must, but I don't know what to recruit or fuse to get Tarunda.

Shiisa gets War Cry at level 14, like ChaosArgate says get a wind immune demon (or equip Hifumi) to force him to waste press turns. I'd also get something with Sukukaja so you can keep pace with his Rep Capote boosted agility.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

you can buy Iyomante at the Shibuya junk shop for 2k macca, it teaches tarunda as the first skill at level 10. Lilim is really easy to fuse, learns it at 11, Shikigami is recruitable somewhere real early and learns it as like, the first skill from levelling.

Also I'm pretty sure he prioritizes re-upping red capote if you use sukunda on him even once? So you can waste one of his press turns that way.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Matador deffo has Dekunda and not just Red Capote

The speedrun strat for Matador is hilariously simple. Get a single demon who nulls force (they use a Shiisa), teach one demon Rakukaja (they also use Shiisa), have someone with Media (Inugami) and someone with Sukukaja. Cast your four Rakukajas ASAP, then use the four Sukukajas to make it so you can actually hit him, then just attack. They win the fight at level 14 or something, with TWO demons who are weak to force just because they have good movesets.

Ame-No-Uzume is like the perfect demon for the fight due to null force and access to Media, and she is fused from Jack Frost who can pass on Dark Might. Having a team with like 2/3 demons with Dark Might also makes the fight significantly easier.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He absolutely has Dekunda, he popped it the first time I tried cancelling out his Red Capote.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alacron posted:

I don't think Matador actually has Dekunda or Dekaja? I had 4 Sukukaja's stacked on my team and 4 Tarundas and Rakundas on him and he never did anything about, just kept attacking like normal.
Shiisa gets War Cry at level 14, like ChaosArgate says get a wind immune demon (or equip Hifumi) to force him to waste press turns. I'd also get something with Sukukaja so you can keep pace with his Rep Capote boosted agility.

He definitely has Dekunda and has always used it liberally with me. No Dekaja , though.

I don't even bother debuffing him. You do not have MP to waste at this time. Nozuchi comes with Rakukaja and Bicorn with Sukukaja. 4 of those and you are able to reliably hit him and tank most of his assault in the first phase.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Hao po learned maragi!
Yes!
Hao pos agi wants to change, will you let it?
YES!
Agi turned to lullaby
:doh: What the hell am I doing :doh:

At least she still has the mass spell but yeah that was smart...

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Letting demons change skills is always a trap

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he prioritizes re-upping red capote if you use sukunda on him even once? So you can waste one of his press turns that way.

Maybe if he has at least 2 or 3 debuffs applied? I tried it just now at 15 and he didn't care much to dispell my singular Sukundas.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe if he has at least 2 or 3 debuffs applied? I tried it just now at 15 and he didn't care much to dispell my singular Sukundas.

Probably just a random luck thing, I also assumed he hated it when you debuffed him since he immediately dekunda'd my debuffs

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

He definitely has Dekunda and has always used it liberally with me. No Dekaja , though.

YggiDee posted:

He absolutely has Dekunda, he popped it the first time I tried cancelling out his Red Capote.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Matador deffo has Dekunda and not just Red Capote

Huh, guess I just got absurdly lucky during my fight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Not always. Notably on my last run Taotie turned Megido into Megidola and then Megidola into Phys Drain.

Most ecently for me, Yatagarasu turneed Mana Gain into Mana Surge and Pazuzu got Recarm and then that Recarm turned to Samarecarm.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I’m practically the nuclear safety inspector of Springfield and The demons are giving me Burn’s mystery box...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright I got High Pixie who is now the ringer of the team and knows Mazio so she just nukes everything.

High Pixie/Queen Mab can still become Super Pixie, right? Just never dismiss her and you're good?

NikkolasKing posted:

Negotiating is just a huge pain in he rear end in Nocturne in general.
Persona 5's negotiation is the best in the franchise and it's entirely because it's the first negotiation system to not be bullshit.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Alright I got High Pixie who is now the ringer of the team and knows Mazio so she just nukes everything.

High Pixie/Queen Mab can still become Super Pixie, right? Just never dismiss her and you're good?
Persona 5's negotiation is the best in the franchise and it's entirely because it's the first negotiation system to not be bullshit.

Yeah even if you fuse her itll work, just don't dismiss the demon you fuse her into or sacrifice her in fusion

Also yeah P5's system is absolutely the best because the game tells you the rules and then actually sticks with it, so you can reason your way through any negotiation successfully. I honestly don't know what they were thinking with this game where your answers don't matter at all

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

If you did that after he used Red Capote he would still be at positive Agility so Dekunda wouldn't do anything.

Funky Valentine posted:

As long as you don't sacrifice or dismiss whatever you evolved or fused the original pixie into, they can still become the super pixie. In the original, they would always be in the first demon slot, which made it easy to track. Not sure if that's still the case.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can use Pixie as a sacrifice, you also don't need to keep track of her, she'll always be at the top of your party

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay I absolutely trounced the first Raidou/Dante fight. Cannot recommend the stacking Dark Might strategy enough, instead of passing turns to get to your buffs/debuffs twice per turn you just attack

Another hot tip for anyone new to the game/series is that the next-to-last ability on the Ice Magatama you get from Forneus (Fog Breath) is the best skill in the game

Fog Breath is pretty great, but if you're doing a physical MC build, it's probably not worth keeping around, because you'll want your turns to be something along the lines of focus, some combination of debuff debuff pass/high crit chance AOE skill, and then your MC doing a billion damage.

Another protip is to go into the Labyrinth of Amala to get a deathstone and get to level 37 as soon as possible after beating Daisoujou, so you can fuse Daisoujou. He has the best healing skill in the game that heals your entire party to full, and an almighty life/mana drain that steals 100hp/mana (increased or reduced by makukaja/rakukaja/tarunda/rakunda) so you never have to worry about mana costs.

It's worth planning out a fusion path to get a bunch of buffs/debuffs on him. You can't get war cry or fog breath on him via mitama fusion, since they can't get it, so you'll need to have those skills on the demons you fuse to make him.

The path I used was something along the lines of this:

Get a Zhen by walking around on the big bridge to the east of Ginza and talk to him during full kagatsuchi (this is a pain in the rear end).

Get a Preta (walk around in Ginza) and a Shikigami (walk around in Shinjuku Medical Center).

Level all three of those to 8 to have them learn War Cry, Fog Breath, and Tarukaja.

Fuse Preta and Shikigami to get Jack Frost with Fog Breath and Tarukaja.

Get a Lilim and a Hua Po from Ginza, and fuse them together for Mou-Ryo.

Fuse Jack Frost and Mou-Ryo to get a Choronzon with Fog Breath and Tarukaja.

Fuse Zhen with Shikigami from your compendium to get a Jack Frost with War Cry.

Fuse Jack Frost with Choronzon when kagatsuchi is at phases 5 through 8 to get Daisoujou with Tarukaja, War Cry, and Fog Breath.

Next, you'll want to fuse a Kusi Mitama (which naturally has Dekaja) with Dekunda and Taunt:

Fuse a Pisaca using one of these formulas, level it up for 32 for Dekunda.

Fuse Pisaca with Zhen from your compendium to get Sarutahiko with Dekunda.

Fuse Sarutahiko with Sudama to get Erthys with Taunt and Dekunda.

Fuse Flaemis with any of these recipes.

Fuse Erthys and Flaemis to get a Kusi Mitama inheriting Dekunda, Taunt, and getting Dekaja naturally.

Fuse that Kusi Mitama onto Daisoujou to finish. As you level him, you'll definitely want to replace Mahamaon with Prayer, but the other skills aren't really worth learning.

b0lt fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 27, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Daisoujou renders every boss powerless because the Eye skills require MP and many bosses are so scripted that when they can't use the move they just keep wasting their turn trying to instead of even attacking normally.

Too broken for my taste.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ill be honest I am not completely sold on the consensus that a phys-based MC is "optimal." Granted, this is counting on the eventual Pierce/Friekugel, but hear me out: I've put zero points into MAG and my MC is the best spellcaster on my team by like, a non-negligible amount. All of the breath spells absolutely SHRED random encounters and bosses alike. Meanwhile, at this point in the game, my STR/VIT-dump puts me about on pace with Momunofu, who can already cast Focus and Brutal Slash which makes him way better than me at doing the one thing I'm supposed to be able to do. I feel like if you were going all-in on MAG the MC would be a total killing machine for like 90% of the game, and then for the final boss you can put him on healing duty or items or something because by then you can buy Pierce and will have Raidou/Dante with you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like SMT IV's negotiation because there were a billion conversation apps and having them all active at once was a riot. You'd talk to a Pixie or whatever and (!) Pixie had greatly lowered demands (!) Pixie gave you some money (!) Pixie gave you a chakra drop (!) Pixie has better stats (!) Pixie learned Media (!) Pixie invited her friend Jack Frost

Plus the apps that let you just ask a boss about their day and they'd lose press turns, or beg enemies for healing, or just the one where you shake them down for money. The best part was using the Fundraising skill on enemies that were frozen or paralyzed because you got something like five times the money out of them, and they bitched you out while it was happening.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Daisoujou renders every boss powerless because the Eye skills require MP and many bosses are so scripted that when they can't use the move they just keep wasting their turn trying to instead of even attacking normally.

Too broken for my taste.

I remember keeping him even up to the TDE because once his attack falls off, he makes for a magnificent healer

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

lmao, i decided to switch on merciful just to see what it's all about

Against the blue mitamas in the grind map, High Pixie at Lv10 went from doing 2 damage reliably on normal to doing 45-50 on merciful. Like i know it's supposed to be easier but wow

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, what exactly is the timeline that's going on in Nocturne? Like from the perception of our protagonist, the Conception was, like, yesterday, but the Demon civilizations seem to be well-established and basic poo poo like a 1000¥ bill is a rare treasure. Where did they all go in the last week? Honestly I'd just assume that the Demi-fiend spent a year or so in a chrysalis getting his demon juice installed, except that Chiaki and Your Other Human Pals probably would have mentioned if it took that long.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Okay, what exactly is the timeline that's going on in Nocturne? Like from the perception of our protagonist, the Conception was, like, yesterday, but the Demon civilizations seem to be well-established and basic poo poo like a 1000¥ bill is a rare treasure. Where did they all go in the last week? Honestly I'd just assume that the Demi-fiend spent a year or so in a chrysalis getting his demon juice installed, except that Chiaki and Your Other Human Pals probably would have mentioned if it took that long.

I wondered about that, too. Maybe, because the hospital was special, time moved slower for those in it? Everything outside the hospital is acting like the Vortex World has been around for a while, only our humans in it are acting like the Conception just happened.

His name is Isamu, by the way. A new player on Reddit asked if he was like Naoto because they looked kinda similar. Good times.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I will remember the name of Human Friend Number Two when he does something interesting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I will remember the name of Human Friend Number Two when he does something interesting.

See you in like 15-20 hours or maybe never, depending.

While Human Friend #2 is on the table...I was wanting to talk about a Reddit post calling him "Incelmu." That was inevitable because he's a weirdo teenage boy with an unhealthy fixation on his female teacher, and any loser young guy is gonna be called an incel these days, but other than that he really doesn't fit. I think he just hates everyone after a while and I really have no idea where his crush on his teacher is supposed to play into all this. I guess just general feelings of betrayal - betrayal by you and by her for failing to protect him.

I guess the score is that to side with any Reason, you gotta help in killing someone. Ms. Takao for Shijima, Hijiri for Musubi and Futomimi for Yosuga. If/when Hardtype is made into a mod, I might aim for Musubi. Just curious to see how different he is to you and all that. And I never wanna help Hikawa kill the one nice person in the game.

Although I have no idea what the game wants us to think of Hijiri.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 27, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Now I'm actually kinda curious how vanilla SMTIII would have gone over here in North America if we never got the Maniax version. There's probably a much more heated debate between the three Reasons if you don't have the TDE as the obvious "gently caress all y'all" option. Come to think of it, without the Mysterious Old Man & Dante & Fiend interludes, the base game is probably even more desolate. I mean, the modern version is the one we got for a reason but now I think I want to give the original a spin sometime.

I think my favourite part of rolling with SMT demons is that unlike most monster collecting games, I have absolutely no doubt that everyone in my party will devour me upon my death . This is why it's a game over on a knockout. It doesn't matter who I taught Recarm to, the moment I drop they're eating me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I understand that, but on the other hand, that's BS game design and I'm glad that the leader dying isn't an automatic game over in later games

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh, absolutely from a gameplay standpoint I hate it, but because I can't make it go away I will make an elaborate narrative framework to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Now I'm actually kinda curious how vanilla SMTIII would have gone over here in North America if we never got the Maniax version. There's probably a much more heated debate between the three Reasons if you don't have the TDE as the obvious "gently caress all y'all" option. Come to think of it, without the Mysterious Old Man & Dante & Fiend interludes, the base game is probably even more desolate. I mean, the modern version is the one we got for a reason but now I think I want to give the original a spin sometime.

I had the same thought when I heard the PC version had the option to go non Maniax. It's worth noting that in Japan the Maniax and Raido version were both limited releases. So for a large number of Japanese people the base game is what they got.

NikkolasKing posted:

I wondered about that, too. Maybe, because the hospital was special, time moved slower for those in it? Everything outside the hospital is acting like the Vortex World has been around for a while, only our humans in it are acting like the Conception just happened.

His name is Isamu, by the way. A new player on Reddit asked if he was like Naoto because they looked kinda similar. Good times.

I think the time line like the design of the Vortex world itself is made to disorientate the player. In temporal as well as physical location.

In some ways the Demons in the series are a product of Human will, and the Manikans are created by multiple Souls being shoved into a clay body. So it follows that most of the residents are very confused themselves.