Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why does karma still have a prosthetic leg?
it impresses women. alternately, artist goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Some folks wanna keep the scars they've earned.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why does karma still have a prosthetic leg?

Same reason Wolverine still has an adimantium skeleton.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

She's significantly more powerful that way?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

She's significantly more powerful that way?

She's had it do long she considers it part of her identity.

Like, I bet Laura's claws are still coated in adamantium but she didn't upgrade to an adamantium skeleton.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drat that sucks. Well gently caress him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

X-Force already shows Forge keeps a pool of the stuff in case they actually need to revive him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don’t understand why he needs a pool of adamantium when one of the Five is a reality changer. It was a minor plot point over in X-Force that Quinten Quire has been requesting cosmetic changes each time he’s resurrected.

I guess this can be chalked up to “didn’t have things 100% hashed out at the start.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

X-Force already shows Forge keeps a pool of the stuff in case they actually need to revive him.

He's also died at least once in X-Force.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So, Mystique was set up to fail right?

New Mutants was pretty good; I think Vita is doing amazing character work with these characters and Rod Reis's artwork is beautiful as usual.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

radlum posted:

So, Mystique was set up to fail right?
I want to say "absolutely" but I guess it's a question of whether having Nimrod being created is more or less of a problem than Destiny being resurrected.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, maybe it's a calculated risk ("if Krakoa stands we can handle Nimrod, but if Destiny is around, Krakoa will fail and we'll still get Nimrod")

Also, would the diaries include this? Is Moira playing 4-D chess with Mystique, Charles and Destiny?

This was such a simple issue but opened so many questions; I loved it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gotta say, I'm taking Mystique's side here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

radlum posted:

Yeah, maybe it's a calculated risk ("if Krakoa stands we can handle Nimrod, but if Destiny is around, Krakoa will fail and we'll still get Nimrod")

Also, would the diaries include this? Is Moira playing 4-D chess with Mystique, Charles and Destiny?

It's an interesting concept seeing as the idea is that apparently Destiny can't 'see' Moira, just her effect on things around her, so is that enough to let her obscure her intent?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I think the diaries include Destiny telling Mystique to burn it all to the ground if they don't bring her back.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotta say, I'm taking Mystique's side here.

I hope we get "Mystique Was Right" t-shirts

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I hope we get "Mystique Was Right" t-shirts

Make them pink or purple this time instead of red.

Edit: Or blue, don't know why that wasn't my first thought.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It seems like there's probably a few more layers here, but it's hard to imagine what, assuming Moira hasn't just been feeding everyone a line of bullshit directly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure why, but mystique obviously flubbed that mission on purpose. why else would she wait around and watch while they brought nimrod online?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Look, Rahne, you mean well, but this is the loving Shadow King. What are you doing leaving a child in his hands.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She could have ended it in her previous spotlight issue, but wanted to use it as future leverage to get Destiny back.

We got Mystique, Onslaught, and Shadow King ready to blow. poo poo is going to be bananas.

EDIT: Rahne: Look at her word balloons.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Be real interesting if Moira and Destiny had a long chat in her last life. I'm guessing she already knew what she was going to do going in (given she had no way of stopping Nimrod coming online in that life). Lay the ground works for this life, Destiny knowing exactly what she'd do in the event she saw the whole precog ban coming. What she'd tell Mystique to do. The two of them planning out a long chess game spanning two lives that one of them would be entirely unaware they were playing.

What if, just like the Sentinels, there was no way to stop a Nimrod from happening? But there was a way to have it come online on their terms? Too early and they're defenseless. Too late and they've gotten soft or fallen apart.

But what about when there are twenty million of them?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
funny, I always thought they would prevent Nimrod coming online by just showing Orchis what happens in the future if they win: humans get gobbled up by the black holes

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

funny, I always thought they would prevent Nimrod coming online by just showing Orchis what happens in the future if they win: humans get gobbled up by the black holes

Has the threat of our own destruction ever stopped us from doing anything?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"Yeah, sure, nice try. In fact, we're not even gonna try to put in black hole safeguards, because that's probably your big long-game plan, mutie!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gologle posted:

Look, Rahne, you mean well, but this is the loving Shadow King. What are you doing leaving a child in his hands.

Yeah, this is definitely a weird look for Rahne but maybe the Shadow King's already in her brain as he does.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Skwirl posted:

I think the diaries include Destiny telling Mystique to burn it all to the ground if they don't bring her back.

This is a head scratcher. It might give an excuse for Xavier and magneto acting like they are (they don't really need an excuse though) if they were deliberately pushing mystique towards this path.

Otherwise they either planned on her failing or dying succeeding. That way they wouldn't have to resurrect her or destiny.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dawgstar posted:

Sure doesn't sound like Charles.
Honestly, that was a little over the line even for Magneto.

Although if they are straight up betraying Mystique, why resurrect her at all? Charles is the only one who automatically knows when she dies. They could just say she was still undercover.

Open Marriage Night posted:

EDIT: Rahne: Look at her word balloons.
Oh wow, nice catch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Why has Mystique not brought up Destiny in front of the Quiet Council? Make those fuckers vote on it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I wonder who would be on her side if she did? Mystique doesn't have a lot of friends.

Probably Emma, Kate, Nightcrawler, and Apocalypse if he was still around. Cypher/ Krakoa probably, unless Krakoa knows the secret. Maybe Storm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I wonder who would be on her side if she did? Mystique doesn't have a lot of friends.

Probably Emma, Kate, Nightcrawler, and Apocalypse if he was still around. Cypher/ Krakoa probably, unless Krakoa knows the secret. Maybe Storm.

Jean would probably have been but obviously she's out. Sinister maybe for the lulz?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Moira’s space is in Krakoa so it most likely knows if it can be aware of conversations taking place within the island itself.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Jean would probably have been but obviously she's out. Sinister maybe for the lulz?

I don't think Sinister would want anyone around who could predict the time and place of his inevitable and convoluted betrayal.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

I don’t understand why he needs a pool of adamantium when one of the Five is a reality changer. It was a minor plot point over in X-Force that Quinten Quire has been requesting cosmetic changes each time he’s resurrected.

I guess this can be chalked up to “didn’t have things 100% hashed out at the start.”

Why the hell do they need the rest of the five when one of them’s a reality changer

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

thetoughestbean posted:

Why the hell do they need the rest of the five when one of them’s a reality changer

There are different tiers of reality changers.

Proteus isn't Jim Jaspers or God-mode Franklin Richards. He can make specific and dramatic shifts in his local environment, but they tend to snap back once he stops paying attention. It makes a certain amount of sense that he's part of the process.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

thetoughestbean posted:

I think it's heavily implied through decades of stories that "reality changer" doesn't mean "can create life" in most cases. The whole point of the Five- convoluted as it is- is that to properly recreate a perfect copy of a person, each is contributing an aspect of life creation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, that was a little over the line even for Magneto.

Although if they are straight up betraying Mystique, why resurrect her at all? Charles is the only one who automatically knows when she dies. They could just say she was still undercover.
Even he doesn't know when she dies. The entire conceit of X-Factor is investing mutant deaths to make sure they're actually dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Even he doesn't know when she dies. The entire conceit of X-Factor is investing mutant deaths to make sure they're actually dead.

Yeah, when they blow up the first Orchis factory in HoXPoX they need Psylocke boosting Jean Grey to maintain a connection with Xavier, using Cerebro he's got planet wide coverage, but his powers don't extend super far into space.

They only knew Mystique failed because she made it back to Krakoa shortly before she died.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Moira’s space is in Krakoa so it most likely knows if it can be aware of conversations taking place within the island itself.

Krakoan No-Spaces (or Places, can't remember which one was the mistake), from HoX #1

"...a habitat that exists outside the collective consciousness of Krakoa. A place within the island ecosystem that Krakoa doesn't know exists. A Krakoan tumor."

So nope! Not even Krakoa gets to know everything.

Also, I can't remember the issue, but in HoXPoX Moira is pretty annoyed that Magneto and Xavier promised Mystique that they'd ressurect Destiny- it wasn't something done with her permission. Glad she's been preparing...

e: it's the end of Powers 6. She's not really micromanaging things at all- the entire Council is left to Mags and Chuck. gently caress knows WHAT she's been doing in her little higey hole, other than dining in Paris (wonder where her exit in Paris is? any X-Men history there?).

Quotey fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Speaking of, now that X-Factor is cancelled, I wonder if we'll ever get to explore two Prodigy's being alive.