Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I traded in my Microkorg and Bass Station 2 to make some space. I picked up a Bitbox Micro, Euphoria, a couple 1U modules, some blank panels, and a pile of patch cables with the sales.

I'm loving the Bitbox Micro, I loaded it up with a ton of video game samples. This was a huge pain in the rear end to setup to record, but I'm happy with how it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCtIlA3x7oc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

me when i hear literally the world's worst FM pipe organ preset

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

literally me

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

landgrabber posted:

can't remember if i've asked this here before but what's a good way to get into being able to make my own patches? i have a lot of synth VSTs of real analog synths but i'm limited to cycling through presets. how would i pick that up?
https://learningsynths.ableton.com/ for the basics

https://www.syntorial.com/ for the advanced stuff

https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets despite having many flaws (no sound demos) the best free option

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

gonna go pick up an old electribe today

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://learningsynths.ableton.com/ for the basics

https://www.syntorial.com/ for the advanced stuff

https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets despite having many flaws (no sound demos) the best free option

Another cool one to look through, although it's written specifically for the Nord Modular, is this one: https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html

A lot of the concepts translate to other Modular environments

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Are there any good 2 directional midi Eurorack modules? If not, what are the best options for midi output from a Eurorack?

What I'm specifically trying to do is hook my Eurorack up to my PC, I have a bunch of projects that will be easiest to start on that way, with a USB or Midi connection to my PC. Longer term, I'll probably make dedicated Raspberry Pi driven modules, but for now I want to iterate via PC.

I'm looking to build things like a Twitch connection so I can have CV that's driven by Twitch chat. I would also like to output data to OBS so I can have my stream overlays change based on midi data coming from the Eurorack. The project I might try and build next is a connection to my SNES, I want to send output as CV while playing Link to the Past Randomizer (get hit, a gate goes high so I can trigger based on that), as well as CV back in (change colors of enemies or other information based on what's going on with the synthesizer).

It looks like the Expert Sleepers ES9 is probably my best bet https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es9.html

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah an expert sleepers interface or adat module sounds like exactly what you want

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

An often overlooked module for midi/cv is the Tubbutec uTune, it's primary purpose is microtuning, but it offers lots of midi options generally.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

some day the manual will be written for it and the firmware will be finished

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ornament and crime does midi in and out over usb, there's a load of different firmware apps for it I'm sure one would do what you want - I've only messed around sending my modular midi from my pc

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I spilled iced tea on my first synth, a little Korg Volca Bass, and now half the notes just stick on nonstop when you turn it on. Tried all of the cleaning and drying actions I could muster but it's still malfunctioning. The cheapest synth of mine I could have chosen to damage but it was my first one so now I'm upset. :mad:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw this on BoBeats and ordered it immediately. A good, solid modular desk stand is something the synth industry has needed for a while now. Got it for my Digitakt, Crave, and TD-3. They have a lot of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdPdzPEhtfU

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 25, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Catastrophe posted:

I spilled iced tea on my first synth, a little Korg Volca Bass, and now half the notes just stick on nonstop when you turn it on. Tried all of the cleaning and drying actions I could muster but it's still malfunctioning. The cheapest synth of mine I could have chosen to damage but it was my first one so now I'm upset. :mad:

Sounds like an internal component shorted out. Time it learn electrical engineering, it might be as simple as replacing a diode or something

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Did you take it all the way apart? Sometimes all they need is a little deep clean, but capacitive sensing traces will definitely react badly to corrosion.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
All of the Moog iOS apps are free right now, the Model 15, the Model D, the Animoog and the Filtatron. I believe the Model 15 was like 30 bucks too, maybe 20, but either way it's worth getting if you have an ios device. I already bought the Animoog unfortunately, but I like it a lot.

A MIRACLE posted:

gonna go pick up an old electribe today

What model? I've been trying to sell my old ES-1 forever, if you wanna buy mine, I'll sell it for cheaper!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Animoog is split into separate iphone and ipad apps so if you got one of each, make sure to pick it up on both.

IAP doesn't transfer between the two which is infuriating, but such is life. Blame Apple for being dumb or blame Moog for not making a universal app. :iiam:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Imhotep posted:

All of the Moog iOS apps are free right now, the Model 15, the Model D, the Animoog and the Filtatron. I believe the Model 15 was like 30 bucks too, maybe 20, but either way it's worth getting if you have an ios device. I already bought the Animoog unfortunately, but I like it a lot.
What model? I've been trying to sell my old ES-1 forever, if you wanna buy mine, I'll sell it for cheaper!

It was an es-1, the sale fell thru but I’m kinda glad it did. Made me realize I really miss my sp 404 and kinda hate my octatrack

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

time for a matched dr-202/sp-202 set

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I still have my DR 110 but almost never break it out. Gonna sell it in twenty years for a zillion doll hairs

E it’s getting really hard not to buy the mpc live 2

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 27, 2021

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

A MIRACLE posted:

It was an es-1, the sale fell thru but I’m kinda glad it did. Made me realize I really miss my sp 404 and kinda hate my octatrack

thankfully i dodged the octatrack bullet after absolutely hating the digitakt before they apparently fixed a ton of poo poo on it

i had a love/hate relationship with the 707 for a while but about 9 months ago poo poo just started making sense once i stopped trying to make it something its not… and then they did another 2 updates which fixed 2 huge things i hated. first was having to design in the box synth sounds from scratch and now ill just use the random function until it gets close (the algorithm is actually really good) and the second was finally adding an arpeggiator which was worth the wait since it’s one of the best ive used in any synth so far

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

do you mean the mc 707? that seems like a full daw in a box

this is coolhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4tR9fur7k

edit, its been forever but who still has a Pocket Operator and which one and do you still use it?

edit 2, has anyone seen this thing before ? https://www.perfectcircuit.com/percussa-ssp-demo.html

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 27, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

edit, its been forever but who still has a Pocket Operator and which one and do you still use it?

edit 2, has anyone seen this thing before ? https://www.perfectcircuit.com/percussa-ssp-demo.html

Yes I have a PO rhythm and arcade and I still sometimes use the rhythm for fun.

The percussa ssp has been around for sometime but it seems to be the opposite of what I'm after in eurorack. That is basically a PC on a module (also it draws no less than one full ampere of current so you need a beefy power supply)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I don't use my po-35, pocket operators are too compact to use comfortably

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I sold all my POs other than the Rhythm. Hate the UI.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Any serious synth musician should never be without their Rick and Morty pocket operator.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I have the po office and the sampler. I use both pretty regularly. Very fun to doodle on, especially with someone else.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The two Capcom Pocket Operators are pretty great. I've ended up with a lot of POs because they have been easy gifts to ask for for my birthday, the Capcom ones are the only ones I think I've bought for myself, otherwise I'm pretty sure the rest were all gifts.

Before covid and before I got my OP-Z, I would usually bring one or two with me when traveling, they were great for that. Now the OP-Z reigns supreme as my travel synth.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Chainclaw posted:

The two Capcom Pocket Operators are pretty great. I've ended up with a lot of POs because they have been easy gifts to ask for for my birthday, the Capcom ones are the only ones I think I've bought for myself, otherwise I'm pretty sure the rest were all gifts.

Before covid and before I got my OP-Z, I would usually bring one or two with me when traveling, they were great for that. Now the OP-Z reigns supreme as my travel synth.

Oh wow, teenage engineering chat! Yeah, love my POs, particularly the microtoniq, because I have the VST already. And I loving LOVE the UI.

But I'm not here for that. I wanted to ask what USB to DIN MIDI convertor I should get. I'm seeing a lot of options and I want to have the widest compatibility at the lowest price. Is there really that much difference between a Kenton and a DoReMIDI?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I play with my sub and tonic all the time, but they are still pretty new to me. I plan on learning and using my speak a lot in the next 2 weeks. I haven't had the chance to really dive in to it yet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

I play with my sub and tonic all the time, but they are still pretty new to me. I plan on learning and using my speak a lot in the next 2 weeks. I haven't had the chance to really dive in to it yet.

If you have the microtoniq you can use patternarium to DL some really nice patterns and sounds to your VST and from there to the PO. The interface on the PO isn't capable of creating quite as wide a variety of sounds but it can download them from the VST.

The sub, tonic and KO are all that I need. Imma sell my Arcade. And I made a sweet discovery a few weeks ago. I have a Korg digital metronome with headphone out, and if you run it into the tonics you can use it as the tempo controller. That way you don't have to reduce one of your POs to mono out.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 27, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve been thinking of getting a pocket operator but aren’t the melodic ones or at least up until a certain series locked into a scale?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

i’ve been thinking of getting a pocket operator but aren’t the melodic ones or at least up until a certain series locked into a scale?

HAHA POs are very rudimentary in some regards. Part of what makes them so fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've had a couple and basically never used them, I just did not at all enjoy using them. Just not a form factor or UI I like at all.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I cracked the LCD on my Teenage Engineering PO-12 and have been angry about it for like a year. It still works but you can only see about 1/4 of the screen now.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Catastrophe posted:

I cracked the LCD on my Teenage Engineering PO-12 and have been angry about it for like a year. It still works but you can only see about 1/4 of the screen now.

Yeah, you really have to get cases for them. There's a guy on ebay printing them who has a great price and I'm really impressed, I bought three. They have a goofy gumball feel that is really a hoot.

https://i.imgur.com/cIBg7T5.mp4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The POs are cooler than most big synths to me. They’re full of character, sound wonderful, the interface and hands on tweaking/playing/sequencing absolutely rules. I got the official cases with mine and even with my relatively huge hands they’re very comfortable. It’s so cool to have a synth that can literally hang on a lanyard around your neck.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kilometers Davis posted:

The POs are cooler than most big synths to me. They’re full of character, sound wonderful, the interface and hands on tweaking/playing/sequencing absolutely rules. I got the official cases with mine and even with my relatively huge hands they’re very comfortable. It’s so cool to have a synth that can literally hang on a lanyard around your neck.

I'd prefer to have big, reliable arcade buttons and it looks like an easy thing to do. But then they wouldn't be fun size.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/all_caps_rin/status/1397978136613171206?s=21

i enjoy making things for human consumption :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have absolutely no need for one of those, and have no idea what I'd do with it, but I've very nearly bought one about four times in the past couple of weeks. It would probably end up just being a very weird art/conversation piece in my studio, which I suppose is at least part of the intention behind it.