Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Graven looks sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I do not think I will ever tire of booting up the Going Down mapset with Russian overkill, I think it is dead center of the Venn diagram union of retro FPS, Ludicrous wad, and good maps

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What I am hearing about Graven is that it's super undercooked at the moment and needs a lot of work before it is worth $20ish dollars.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tim Thomas posted:

I do not think I will ever tire of booting up the Going Down mapset with Russian overkill, I think it is dead center of the Venn diagram union of retro FPS, Ludicrous wad, and good maps

I agree completely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UBWaTDvtug
The EA trailer

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Graven looks amazingly badass and I have no idea why anyone would want to ruin it by playing it unfinished. Steam sent me two emails about both Graven and WRATH being for sale and I was so disappointed to see it's just EA.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is it supposed to be compatible with old voodoo graphics cards?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Is it supposed to be compatible with old voodoo graphics cards?
Graven's a UE4 game, so no. It does have a "3DFX Mode", IIRC, but I think it just enables (shudders) texture filtering and a couple of other minor effects.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

Graven's a UE4 game, so no. It does have a "3DFX Mode", IIRC, but I think it just enables (shudders) texture filtering and a couple of other minor effects.

I can’t find any details on what 3dfx mode does from a quick search, but it would amusing if someone wrote a bunch of shaders to emulate the weird dithered filtering and 22bit internal color calculations (with 16bit output) that those cards did.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Lol, I had forgotten it was UE4.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I played through whats in EA Graven and its pretty good but I think the big problem is the enemy AI. They're really dumb, and kinda buggy and not a challenge at all. The way the game looks and feels is spot on though, its what I would have pictured Hexen 3 being like.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
We're at this annoying point where the first wave of good, retro-shooters came out a few years ago (DUSK, Ion Fury, Amid Evil), the second wave is just in Early Access or the "near" future (WRATH, Viscerafest, AE and IF expansions) and the third wave (Core Decay, Selaco, CULTIC) is nothing more than a bunch of digital teasers. Gimme dem games!

Oh well. I just started the first episode of Ashes 2063, seems real dope so far.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hoping to be playing both graven and dusk on the nintendo switch by the end of the year :pray:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mordja posted:

We're at this annoying point where the first wave of good, retro-shooters came out a few years ago (DUSK, Ion Fury, Amid Evil), the second wave is just in Early Access or the "near" future (WRATH, Viscerafest, AE and IF expansions) and the third wave (Core Decay, Selaco, CULTIC) is nothing more than a bunch of digital teasers. Gimme dem games!
Which of these weren't created by homo/transphobic nazis? I know Ion Fury was, but not sure about which others I should avoid.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Weedle posted:

hoping to be playing both graven and dusk on the nintendo switch by the end of the year :pray:

They said Graven will be in EA for a year, maybe a bit more. So I don't think that will be possible.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which of these weren't created by homo/transphobic nazis? I know Ion Fury was, but not sure about which others I should avoid.

Any of them that used electricity during production, ethical consumption under capitalism is a lie!!

Or just play games that you might enjoy, rather than trying to remember why you where offended. It's ok, nobody will actually care.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Oh well. I just started the first episode of Ashes 2063, seems real dope so far.

Yeah Ashes is the bomb (ahyuk). Sounds like the devs are in the home stretch for episode 2 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcmmthGGRg Video for ep 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I sitll have pending to play the first episode, given he seems to be finishing Ep 2, I was waiting to that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Serephina posted:

Any of them that used electricity during production, ethical consumption under capitalism is a lie!!

Or just play games that you might enjoy, rather than trying to remember why you where offended. It's ok, nobody will actually care.

i think its fair to not want to give money directly to nazis and bigots.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

as far as i'm aware its just ion fury, they employed some long time duke nukem modder to help them get the build engine running and he was the insane piece of poo poo. but then they backpedalled on their apology when chuds got mad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's very much a build engine game but made in gzdoom, needs more exploding walls tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

It sucks all I'm looking forward to besides Elden Ring are retro FPS games that won't be out for years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

It sucks all I'm looking forward to besides Elden Ring are retro FPS games that won't be out for years.

Looking forward to Deatloop and, uh

E: Oh, Total Warhammer 3 might be out this year

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

also new TimeSplitters in development at Neo Free Radical back in Nottingham

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Groovelord Neato posted:

Maybe the System Shock remake will actually make it's release date later this summer.....

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I realize it's a necessity, since most retro shooters are made by small independent teams, but I have no interest in buying linear singleplayer games in early access. It feels like a huge tease to play an amazing first level, then be stuck waiting for future updates.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ponzicar posted:

I realize it's a necessity, since most retro shooters are made by small independent teams, but I have no interest in buying linear singleplayer games in early access. It feels like a huge tease to play an amazing first level, then be stuck waiting for future updates.

I'm glad I waited on DUSK until it was done I woulda felt such blue balls blowing through the first episode. And I agree I only think EA works with roguelikes with enough content (Risk of Rain 2 EA would've been fine as a full release) or some kinds of multiplayer games.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Maybe the System Shock remake will actually make it's release date later this summer.....

I preordered this because they sweetened it up with the free SS2:EE offer, but now I'm wondering if they're gonna slip the release date again. :sigh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm glad I waited on DUSK until it was done I woulda felt such blue balls blowing through the first episode. And I agree I only think EA works with roguelikes with enough content (Risk of Rain 2 EA would've been fine as a full release) or some kinds of multiplayer games.

I HATE playing early access rogue like and procedural games because so much of the core gameplay is leaning the systems so that you can manage RNG fuckery, and it's during that period when those systems are most likely to be drastically changed, resulting in either having to relearn the game or worse, giving up a mechanic or play style you find fun.

I find it better to just wait for the final product.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

They said Graven will be in EA for a year, maybe a bit more. So I don't think that will be possible.

oh dang i thought it was coming out on all platforms this year. well, surely dusk will be released soon... probably.......

i also usually avoid early access but i bought hrot just because it looked so rad and it is. every time they push a steam update i frantically click over to the news to see if it's episode 2. so far no luck

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

I HATE playing early access rogue like and procedural games because so much of the core gameplay is leaning the systems so that you can manage RNG fuckery, and it's during that period when those systems are most likely to be drastically changed, resulting in either having to relearn the game or worse, giving up a mechanic or play style you find fun.

I find it better to just wait for the final product.

I shouldn't have said roguelikes as I only have experience with one and all the systems were in on Early Access launch.

Weedle posted:

i also usually avoid early access but i bought hrot just because it looked so rad and it is. every time they push a steam update i frantically click over to the news to see if it's episode 2. so far no luck

HROT's one I want bad but I'm waiting for the final release.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

https://twitter.com/daveoshry/status/1397817716812271618?s=21

Dusk should be soon at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SmoothBlood

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ITS EVIL

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
For as purposeless as Life Leech is in Blood's arsenal it's probably one of the coolest looking build game weapons imo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weedle posted:

Yeah, same.

It's taking forever :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks better than smooth Doom weapons but I still wouldn’t use.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the blood shotgun needs to do its lil vanish from your screen for a split second thats what makes it look punchy! the feel comes from launching a zambo 40 feet away

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

verbal enema posted:

the blood shotgun needs to do its lil vanish from your screen for a split second thats what makes it look punchy! the feel comes from launching a zambo 40 feet away

Looking again, the gif I posted is actually the shotgun from the Blood Alpha. Here's the real one:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MMF Freeway posted:

I played through whats in EA Graven and its pretty good but I think the big problem is the enemy AI. They're really dumb, and kinda buggy and not a challenge at all. The way the game looks and feels is spot on though, its what I would have pictured Hexen 3 being like.

Honestly I'd rather have AI that's kinda dumb than AI that's actually on the smart side, as it's not often particularly fun to actually play against(especially since making an AI seem smart usually is only really achievable by letting them cheat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the AI is too smart you won't be able to figure out how it beat you or what mistake you made and that's a bad feeling