Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Go all in and get Galindo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I'm doing a game as Pittsburgh right now (because I like pain I guess) and the league decided to go to 5 years of team control in 2023 and its made viability so, so much harder for a small market team.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm digging Corley, since that doesn't seem like much to give up for Jeff Kent but hopefully not an rear end in a top hat, but tell me how bad his fielding stats really are.

he's....mediocre. 50s across the board. he's young though, and might improve, but he definitely won't be a gold Glover.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

bewbies posted:

he's....mediocre. 50s across the board. he's young though, and might improve, but he definitely won't be a gold Glover.

That's not terrible. Not going to win any gold gloves, but probably isn't a net loss defensively.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
After hard negotiations, we make the following trades:

Billy Beck ($15m retained), Corn Taylor, and Ed Cardenas for Juan Galindo and Dan Bryant, a 1B/DH, a minor league DH who might step in for Kalafut.

Peter nearly has a stroke at this trade he hates it so much, but what are you gonna do. Nice that we pulled it off and kept Double Lopez.

We then trade Mike Miner ($5m retained and Dan Clark (#69 overall for Shawn Corley (#14 overall) and Mike Hemmer, a decent looking CF prospect who is a bit behind developmentally but has a good glove and potentially good power.

Peter also hates this deal.

But, we've got potential stars locked in at 2B and 3B and cut nearly $40 mil out of our salary budget for next season.

Sun-Ho Ryu, the amazing Korean pitcher discussed a few pages ago, signs a megabuck deal with the Mets: 6/229, with an opt-out after his 3rd year during which he's paid a cool $42 mil. Holy poo poo.

We actually snag a potential gem in the Rule 5 draft: Mike Nichols is a 23 year old OF who has 30/30 potential, and is the #53 overall prospect. Seems very Mets-like they'd leave him unprotected. He's a CF now, but looks more like a COF long-term. Since we now have a hole in left field, we'll give him a good long look this spring. For free!

We now have a big decision to make with Danny Raiff. He's an elite starting pitcher -- no doubt about that. The going rate for players of his caliber is now north of $30 mil AAV. We have him in arbitration for 3 more seasons...do we want to extend him past that? Or are pitchers (ie, Ty Madden) too much risk? Extending him would take roughly all of our free money for next year.

Tatum Marsh is now expendable, we sent him off for a 2.5 star 24 year old 2B prospect, the cornerstone of any franchise.

Our first trade: Evan White, owner of no fewer than 8 gold gloves (and 14.5 career WAR) heads back home to Seattle for his twilight years. Has any player ever had more gold gloves than WAR?

Reggie Crawford turns a 1.7 WAR season (263/346/454 as 1B/DH) into a 4/128 contract?? What the hell, Astros??

Jordan Thompson beats out Shawn Corley for the starting 2B gig. So, that's a good look. Hopefully that won't last too long.

We look to get Ty Madden back in about 8 weeks. Hopefully he'll be looking good with a reconstructed elbow.

Humberto de la Torre is the #11 overall prospect, and is starting in AAA as a 19 year old. Not too shabby.

Daemon Wrona looks every bit the generational talent he was predicted to be. The Yankees are keeping him in AA, but he's probably already a top 10 OF on the planet. He needs a nickname, also.

Opening Day Roster

1. Ken Shank, 1B
2. Heeney Groce, SS
3. Josh Gibson, C
4. Joe Kalafut, DH
5. Double Lopez, RF
6. Lawnmower Briggs, CF
7. Mike Nichols, LF
8. Juan Galindo, 3B
9. Jordan Thompson, 2B

Logan Tanner, C
Shawn Corley, 2B
Roger Barreras, OF

1. Riff Raiff
2. Jeff Critz
3. Chris Grimmer
4. Tommy Coressel
5. Mike Koepnick

Victor Mederos (CL)
Josh Dinkins
Mike Taylor
Joel Harris
Danny Bagley (L)
Joe Getts
Kevin Wright
Jeff Flowers
Joe Bradley (L)
Joe Kalafut (L)

We're tagged to win 100 games.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
His name is literally Demon Crow.
No nickname can outcool that.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
On Raiff, I’m leaning towards pitchers are risky, but what kind of pitcher is he? Can you show us his page?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

NiftyBottle posted:

On Raiff, I’m leaning towards pitchers are risky, but what kind of pitcher is he? Can you show us his page?

the old fastball/slider/screwball sidearmer, this one

His durability and injury history look solid, and he's definitely a workhorse. Also he endorses numerous products. That said, two of the most durable pitchers in the game -- Jack Leiter and Ty Madden -- both just went down long-term with injuries, and we don't know what they'll look like when they get back to the field.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

bewbies posted:

the old fastball/slider/screwball sidearmer, this one

His durability and injury history look solid, and he's definitely a workhorse. Also he endorses numerous products. That said, two of the most durable pitchers in the game -- Jack Leiter and Ty Madden -- both just went down long-term with injuries, and we don't know what they'll look like when they get back to the field.

I demand that all pitchers who throw forkballs or screwballs are given extensions

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Glad to see we pulled the trigger on Corley, he seems legit, which means he will naturally flame out horribly and turn in to a lesser version of Todd Walker

Let's extend Raiff

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Yeah, this guy has a good setup, plus we can't dump a baseball player from Brooklyn.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Also, just evaluating what Raiff would look like in real life:

A dude with side-arm action who can dot the corner with a 98 mph fastball and throw a slider/splitter/screwball combo is the stuff of nightmares for a hitter.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I wonder how minus movement works with a plus splitter and plus plus slider & screwgie?

Hitters probably just gotta sit fastball and adjust to the changeup.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

habeasdorkus posted:

I wonder how minus movement works with a plus splitter and plus plus slider & screwgie?

Hitters probably just gotta sit fastball and adjust to the changeup.

Movement being the "how well do they keep Homeruns under control" stat for pitchers in ootp makes me think that he's prone to a meatball on his breaking stuff.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My personal take on "stuff" vs "movement" is stuff is how nasty pitch breaks are, whereas movement is how reliable the breaking stuff is. So, he'll strike out a ton of guys and can place his pitches pretty well, but he's definitely prone to hanging breaking stuff and getting hit hard as a result.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

bewbies posted:

My personal take on "stuff" vs "movement" is stuff is how nasty pitch breaks are, whereas movement is how reliable the breaking stuff is. So, he'll strike out a ton of guys and can place his pitches pretty well, but he's definitely prone to hanging breaking stuff and getting hit hard as a result.

late kershaw like in his ability to hang a slider over the middle of the plate

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So we've talked it out, and Raiff is on board with a 7/196 ($28m AAV) contract with a TO in the last year. That'll take him through his age 34 season. Is this a go?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

bewbies posted:

So we've talked it out, and Raiff is on board with a 7/196 ($28m AAV) contract with a TO in the last year. That'll take him through his age 34 season. Is this a go?

28 aav for a cy young award winner who's durable and just posted a near 6 WAR pitching season is pretty good especially as you're playing with inflation.

i'd take it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Riff Raiff extension is a DONE DEAL.

This brings us to the difficult decision of Joe Kalafut. He's the reigning MVP, and probably the best hitter in baseball. He's also now for sure gone after the season. What shall we do?

Here are our best trade candidates (note all are with 100% retained salary...no reason not to at this point)

Jimmy Stephens (2.0/3.5) is a pure DH, but looks like a 40 HR/380 OBP kind of hitter. He is said to be lazy, however.

David Rodriguez (2.0/3.0) is an absolute monster power bat: 50 HRs is a possibility. He'll probably top out at a 350 OBP guy and has no glove, but could win some dinger titles.

Dave Defrees (3.0/3.5) is another big time power bat, 40 HR/350 OBP guy with no glove. Questionable work ethic, but ML-ready, and destroyed the minors at every level.

Eddie Contreras (2.5/3.5) is a pre-arb SP with four solid pitches including a wipeout curve and 99 mph heat. He did...reasonably well in Coors.

Luis Contreras (3.5/4.0) is an amusing throwback - 80 contact tool, 80 avoid K's tool. He'll challenge for batting titles and plays a good 1B; is also kind of a super-utility guy who can play anywhere but C and center field for some reason.

Hsui-Chen Ding (3.5/4.5) is from China...like, PRC, not ROC. He has 3 elite pitches and a great track record through the minors and first few MLB seasons. Enters arbitration next season.

edit - we do have a possible successor DH in-house with Dan Bryant (2.0/3.5). He won't be winning any MVPs but he hits for power and average and is ML-ready. Expect something like an 850 OPS and no glove.

VOTE

1. Trade the reigning MVP. If so, for whom?
2. Play him out this season, make a QO, get the draft pick.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 27, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm worried our hit rate on picks post-Pete is likely to be a bit lower, especially for the not-top-of-board picks you get when players decline QOs.

I like Ding (though arb cost is tough), and of the bats the only one that is interesting to me is Contreras. Let's win some batting titles.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

How's Contreras' glove?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schnorkles posted:

How's Contreras' glove?

Great for 1B, decent-to-bad everywhere else. He's definitely not an everyday player anywhere but 1B/DH but he won't kill us as an off-day replacement. Except maybe at short, he's pretty bad there.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I'm sold.

Trade for the contact hitter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how has a dude with a 75 steal rating and above average baserunning instincts only swiped one bag in three years we gotta fix that

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Huh, can't tell if the most recent patch broke International Free Agents or just makes it so you don't always get whatever dude you offer 5m at.

e: Ah yep "- Fixed situations where international FA were not applying the correct “tiebreak” between teams who offer identical contracts."

Schnorkles fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 27, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2032 All-Star Break
60-31, .659, 1st Place, AL West

We pull the trigger on the Kalafut trade, sending him and 2 star SP prospect Arturo Carrasco to the Dodgers for Luis Contreras and Mike Peterson. Peterson was kind of a surprise add-in: our new scout whose name I don't remember has him at 4 star potential, and all-bat. He could be another option at DH if Contreras doesn't cut the mustard, and his TC clock hasn't started yet.

Fans nearly riot as we trade away the reigning MVP for two guys they've never heard of.

Great news: Ty Madden has a great recovery from his elbow explosion and gets back a full month early. We'll bring him along slowly with a couple of rehab starts.

Jarred Kelenic's amazing pseudo-iron man streak ends with an ankle sprain shortly after winning player of the week.

Some kid named Ichiro Suzuki shoots to the top of the batting average chart.

We lose star reliever Josh Dinkins for most of the year with a broken elbow. Guess it is good it was a bone and not a tendon.

The Yankees don't mess around with the Demon Crow -- he starts the season on the big club, and does just fine. His scouting report now reads 80/70/80/80/70 hitting; 80/80/80 speed/stealing/baserunning, and 75/75/80 fielding. Alright.

The Turducken looks good in his first starts back, but in mid-June he complains of some arm pain. After a few very scary days it turns out his arm was just tired.

A Bad Thing happens on June 26th. Josh Gibson, our heart and soul, the best player in baseball (probably)...suffers a severe concussion, along with post-concussion syndrome. We're talking...life-altering. His initial prognosis is 6-7 months, but these sorts of things can be pretty much permanent. Logan Tanner takes over catching duties. He is a good ballplayer, but he's no Josh Gibson.

Don't look now, but Tommy Coressel may have turned into a useful big league starting pitcher!

For our international prospect, we take a big-bat 1B named Hector Segovia. He is very slow, but has a good glove and good arm and the potential to absolutely murder the baseball.

In the draft, we take Tim "Magnum" Brown, a polished college arm with a 4 pitch arsenal and a triple digit heater. He's still pretty wild at this point, if we can tame that a bit he could be very useful.

Humberto de la Torre rises to #4 in the prospect rankings. He'll be ML-ready next season, probably.

Luis "Cubby" Contreras skates into the all star break hitting a cool .405. :cool:

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Out of curiosity, any idea what specifically happened to Gibson? Sounds like it was something more than just a foul tip off the facemask.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like someone was mad he started out the game giving up back to back dingers.

fu nate pearson

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Oh dang that’s hosed up

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

What the gently caress Nate

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

If Nate Pearson ever comes to bat in a situation where you can bean him, you are required to bean him.

e: chuckin heat at heads is one of the scariest things in baseball

Schnorkles fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 28, 2021

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Also there was a great breakdown about Joey Vatto hitting .400 for half a season and its literally one of the most absurd things a batter can do.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh gently caress Nate Pearson. Someone break his arms.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo I am angry at a video game baseball man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

glad to see my main man Contreras posting a cool 400 but even happier to see that .190 ISO-P to go with it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2032 Playoffs
99-63, 1st Place, AL West

League News

Demon Crow turns it on in the second half; we start to see what this guy might become. Which is terrifying.

Gleyber Torres hits his 400th dinger.

Alex Bregman retires. He played for us for a year in Seattle.

Big Ron Acuna has the best season of his legendary career. He's earning that $40 mil.

Michael "Air" Jordan signs a 7 year, $334.5 million extension with the Tigers. The last 5 years of the deal will pay him $50 million annually. He's a good player, but....not that good.

Cubby Contreras is hitting .401 on August 1. It seems a longshot he can do the unthinkable and hit 2/5 over an entire season, but the national media is starting to pay attention...and pressure is building.

Almost on cue, he goes ice-cold and is hitting .380 by the second week of August, and is now behind some guy named Ichiro in the batting title race. Who, after a 5 for 5 day on August 15, is now hitting a cool .393. Ichiro then promptly suffers a bad ankle sprain and misses a month and a half.

He can't seem to find his stroke when he comes back, and goes ice cold for a couple weeks. He'll finish at .384

Seems like maybe a new age of contact hitting is upon us? Danny Ramirez out in San Fran just put up 380 and 352 in back to back years. The game may be evolving yet again....

Team News

Josh Dinkins suffers two setbacks in his rehab from a broken elbow. The second one pushes his recovery time out...8 to 9 months. A tough break for a very talented young reliever and a big loss for us. Tough year for good ballplayers on the A's named Josh I guess.

Felix Lopez breaks his hand in late August; he may be out for the season. We call up Mike Peterson from AAA, who has been on fire the entire year. He'll take over the DH spot, and Cubby will have to take a shift in the outfield the rest of the season.

Shawn Corley fails to break into the starting lineup regularly despite Jordan Thompson putting up a 48 OPS+ and -1.3 WAR. I have no idea what Sadler is thinking here but this may require an intervention. In any case, former 2x All-Star Liover Peguero is jamming away in Vegas. We put him on the 40-man and have a new starting 2B out of nowhere.

Our litany of injuries leads to a very slow autumn, and the Mariners overtake us in late September. Only by winning the season-ending series between us do we take the division title.

We await the winner of the Mariners and Cheatin' Stros, again.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, and I almost forgot: our LEGENDS OF BASEBALL entry this year is a man who sacrificed his career for the greater good of the game: Curt Flood. He's remembered as a labor icon, but he was a really solid ballplayer too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pretty good 4 tool guy for sure, and the pop wasn't awful considering the era

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My beloved Double Felix. Get well soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Should we consider transitioning Josh Gibson to 1B or OF from behind the plate? It's what the Twins had to do with Joe Mauer due to his concussion history.