Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

smellmycheese posted:

I mean I can see it looks insane and absurd but could someone translate the lols a little further for us non code whisperers ?

It's mostly hilarious because it's showing how far they've gone in their 'gas tracking' super tech. Without knowing exactly how they're doing it, the room setup also seems extremely weird.

First off it's assigning a gas consumer/producer to a room. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the Odyssey Undersuit is producing or consuming gas. Perhaps both if it's some kind of spacesuit.
The odd thing to me is that the 'room' that the undersuit is being assigned to is the HELMET that Beetwagon is wearing.

I think this could make sense in that the atmosphere that is relevant to the character is the atmosphere inside the helmet. Anyway, it's just generally insane for a game to actually be tracking all this kind of atmospheric gas mixture bullshit when so far it has zero gameplay influence besides gas-related bugs probably making people die randomly all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

peter gabriel posted:

The amount of erros is incredible, I'd post a scrfeenshot but it'd probably have my credit card number in there or somehting

Yeah this isn't normal game logging, this is "poo poo is broken and dumping error messages everywhere" logging, with some strong undertones of "desperate programmer trying to figure out why poo poo is broken". I can imagine some desperate programmer trying to figure out why poo poo isn't working AT ALL and adding these little "Hey I just spawned / hey I just triggered" debug messages everywhere to see if the scripts are even running, and if they're even reaching certain subroutines.

We've all been there. Usually not with a release that goes out to the PUBLIC but not all of us are code whisperers.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

UnknownTarget posted:

It looks like they're bundling rooms as gas producers and consumers...and also treating each player's helmet as a "room". So everyone on the server is getting data about the other person's helmets?

Maybe that's how hackers are scoring those instant kills? Just fill your opponents helmet full of argon?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah this isn't normal game logging, this is "poo poo is broken and dumping error messages everywhere" logging, with some strong undertones of "desperate programmer trying to figure out why poo poo is broken". I can imagine some desperate programmer trying to figure out why poo poo isn't working AT ALL and adding these little "Hey I just spawned / hey I just triggered" debug messages everywhere to see if the scripts are even running, and if they're even reaching certain subroutines.

We've all been there. Usually not with a release that goes out to the PUBLIC but not all of us are code whisperers.

It's also the kind of stuff that absolutely should be behind some kind of verbose logging flag and not the default behavior.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Developer: *busy trying to make sure pushcarts don't destroy the spaceship they are on*
Chris Roberts: I want you to make sure we're modeling the gas inside of the players helmet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My personal fav was a project where we had to look into a wordpress site for someone.
The site was on a dedicated server that cost £600 a month, it was pretty odd.
Anyways, at some point the old web devs had installed a caching plugin, which is fine, but when it came to disabling it they just disabled the plugin rather than do it properly.
This meant the .htaccess file was trying to send data to a plugin that wasn't there anymore.
They had a .txt error log file that was 38gb in size :lol: It had been doing this for years

marumaru
May 20, 2013

alternatively,
christorberts: "we need to model the gas inside the players helmet"
overworked developer with a deadline: "sure chris, sure"
*adds "helmet atmosphere" logs in the terminal*

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

[...] Anyway, it's just generally insane for a game to actually be tracking all this kind of atmospheric gas mixture bullshit when so far it has zero gameplay influence besides gas-related bugs probably making people die randomly all the time.

There is zero gameplay at all yet and you've already got a clusterfuck of code handling this gas stuff that will inevitably be scrapped some day for being useless and never having worked in the first place.
I wish the source code was accessible and some more technically inclined people could have a look inside, there must be so much insanity in there beyond our wildest dreams and nightmares.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

wilderthanmild posted:

It's also the kind of stuff that absolutely should be behind some kind of verbose logging flag and not the default behavior.

Yeah absolutely, this is the kind of poo poo that you sometimes want to see as a developer (although not all the time. If you're trying to figure out why the UI is crapping out it may not be helpful to get 1000000 debug messages from the networking stack. Or it might, depending on the issue!) but you disable it when you put anything in front of people.

peter gabriel posted:

They had a .txt error log file that was 38gb in size :lol: It had been doing this for years

:catstare:

In my current job my predecessor had set our Node.JS project to output all the console output (and there was a LOT of it, numerous messages for all user actions firing, their server counterparts etc) to a text file. It was also in the high gigs when I finally discovered it, but god drat. 38 is respectable.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

smellmycheese posted:

I mean I can see it looks insane and absurd but could someone translate the lols a little further for us non code whisperers ?

UnknownTarget posted:

It looks like they're bundling rooms as gas producers and consumers...and also treating each player's helmet as a "room". So everyone on the server is getting data about the other person's helmets?

I'm not a code guy but it appears to be logging almost everything that happens in the server (or at least every error and some key stuff about players), not just for me, but everyone and everything on the server. Which items of clothing are giving you gas, which NPC animations didn't play, which ship animations didn't play, etc. There's stuff in here about a guy unloading an ARGO MPUV out of a Crusader Starlifter:

code:
<2021-05-21T19:18:11.096Z> [net][bind]CEntity::OnOwnerRemoved: moving zone hosted child id = 2279049192775 name = "ARGO_MPUV_2279049192775" to unblock removal of parent id = 2281252270150 name = "CRUS_Starlifter_M2_2281252270150" into zone host id = 2282179795327 name = "stanton3"
<2021-05-21T19:18:11.185Z> CPhysicalProxy::OnPhysicsPostStep is trying to set position in the grid (CRUS_Starlifter_M2_2281252270150) that's different from the grid of the current Zone (stanton3) the Entity is in: ARGO_MPUV_2279049192775	(manual grid transitions disabled)
And stuff about me suffocating because I wasn't wearing a helmet:

code:
[STAMINA] RoomStack for Occupant: Beetwagon_breathingHelper
[STAMINA] 	-> RoomName: OOC_Stanton
[STAMINA] Not Wearing Helmet
<2021-05-21T19:25:53.189Z> [STAMINA] CSCActorStaminaComponent::LogSuffocation Player Beetwagon suffering depressurization
[STAMINA] RoomStack for Occupant: Beetwagon_breathingHelper
[STAMINA] 	-> RoomName: OOC_Stanton
[STAMINA] Not Wearing Helmet
<2021-05-21T19:25:53.318Z> [STAMINA] CSCActorStaminaComponent::LogSuffocation Player Beetwagon started suffocating
And I had to look this one up, but as best as I can tell they hosed up the scaling on the Bengal and now some of the animations don't work:

code:
<2021-05-21T19:21:30.043Z> CryAnimation: non-orthogonal matrix: objects/spaceships/ships/rsi/bengal/exterior/rsi_bengal_back_door.cga
<2021-05-21T19:21:30.043Z> CryAnimation: non-orthogonal matrix: objects/spaceships/ships/rsi/bengal/exterior/rsi_bengal_back_door.cga

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

UnknownTarget posted:

Star Citizen: Getting data about other people’s helmets

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Back in the 2003 Freelancer was released 2 years late and with a greatly reduced feature set. This only happened because Microsoft bought Digital Anvil and forced them to abandon Roberts crazy vision and endless feature creep.

Chris Roberts vowed that never again would someone force once of his games to actually release.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

wilderthanmild posted:

Developer: *busy trying to make sure pushcarts don't destroy the spaceship they are on*
Chris Roberts: I want you to make sure we're modeling the gas inside of the players helmet.

Chris will not rest until it's possible to re-enact this scene in Star Citizen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAF1EExpek&t=92s

Loved that movie when I was a kid.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What if you fart too much inside the suit, will the rising methane levels displace oxygen realistically and kill you on the spot?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

So basically there are hardcore whales out there with Beet Wagon living rent-free in their logs?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Star Citzien: [CVARS]: [CHANGED] CXConsole::LoadConfigVar(): variable [r_GasCloudStepLengthMultiplier] is marked [Not Whitelisted] with a value of [1]; config file attempting to change to [0.7] as part of a cvar group - IGNORING

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Bronze Fonz posted:

So basically there are hardcore whales out there with Beet Wagon living rent-free in their logs?

If you breathe on someone, then they close their helmet, the CO2 from your breath will be tracked inside their spacesuit indefinitely. A part of you will live forever.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Credit where it's due, that's really good debug logging.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Does that mean that you can grief commandos by filling up their SSDs, simply by virtue of being logged in?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In my current job my predecessor had set our Node.JS project to output all the console output (and there was a LOT of it, numerous messages for all user actions firing, their server counterparts etc) to a text file. It was also in the high gigs when I finally discovered it, but god drat. 38 is respectable.

I kept it for posterity, my memory was off, it's like 31gb and there were a couple more that were 2gb each or so

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What if you fart too much inside the suit, will the rising methane levels displace oxygen realistically and kill you on the spot?

No because the player itself is not registered as a producer/consumer of gas events. For whatever reason it's the suit/helmet/etc that are registered.

In other words, in SC, your RSI undergarments fart for you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Since state is being shared between everyone I imagine you could probably spoof another players state packets and send to the server an update that they are suffocating.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Since state is being shared between everyone I imagine you could probably spoof another players state packets and send to the server an update that they are suffocating.
there is a comprehensive suite of cheats for star citizen online where you can do just that

and give people a crime stat beforehand so they get sent straight to space jail when they respawn lol

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

I kept it for posterity, my memory was off, it's like 31gb and there were a couple more that were 2gb each or so

Holy god. And yet the faithful expect CIG to deliver a space second life with 10 K players per server/area with life-like NPC that you can't tell apart from other players. :gary:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not a code guy but it appears to be logging almost everything that happens in the server (or at least every error and some key stuff about players), not just for me, but everyone and everything on the server. Which items of clothing are giving you gas, which NPC animations didn't play, which ship animations didn't play, etc. There's stuff in here about a guy unloading an ARGO MPUV out of a Crusader Starlifter:

Star Citizen: Which items of clothing are giving you gas?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

punishedkissinger posted:

drat they are gonna nail server meshing any day now huh
Already got a head start on log meshing.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

TheAgent posted:

there is a comprehensive suite of cheats for star citizen online where you can do just that

and give people a crime stat beforehand so they get sent straight to space jail when they respawn lol

Finding myself suddenly wishing the game actually releases just so 5 trillion $ worth of shipcoins get blown up by hacks while the whales turn on each other, trying to surpass each other in the "CIG owes you nothing, you should be grateful they let your ship get blown up" department.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kQ3ViU-oIw

Some great resemblances to Star Citizen:

FPS is crap
Promised stuff that's shown working in trailers is somehow missing
You can put out persistent entities to crash server and other players
Distribution of the "alpha" is completely mismanaged and anyone can download the client
Crazy community trying to defend that stuff (turning faster than SC's, though, for obvious reasons)

Have to admit SC has their own assets, though. Too bad Dreamworld doesn't have code whisperers like CRoberts or ZTony.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Armitag3 posted:

code:
<Jacket spawnid=33963562> FOUND YOU!!!
    <Jacket spawnid=121233562> FOUND YOU!!!
        <Jacket spawnid=92142362> FOUND YOU!!!
            <Jacket spawnid=5412312> FOUND YOU!!!
                <Jacket spawnid=124422> FOUND YOU!!!
                    <Jacket spawnid=874443122> FOUND YOU!!!
                        <Player /> RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
                    </Jacket> RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Mostly Dead
Aug 8, 2007

Mirificus posted:

For those that may not have the history here, some of us have been fans of Tony's work for a very, very long time now ...

(bonus trivia: wonder where they came up with "Crusader" for Star Citizen? Well, wonder no more!)

It is clear that he's significantly advanced and refined his understanding of game making in the last 25+ years, and it's pure joy to see his contributions to SC. Class act!

Like, what the gently caress has Tony Z even done other than the Crusader game? Looking on Moby Games, he doesn't have a game credit since 1996. 25 years. What has he been doing for the past 25 years? Obviously not game design, so how exactly has he refined and advanced his understanding of game making?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

The amount of erros is incredible, I'd post a scrfeenshot but it'd probably have my credit card number in there or somehting

<2021-05-27T12:40:21.896Z> [SPAWNING_PU] Spawn point [Bed_Single_Spawnpoint_Side-003 2314759583487], location [INVALID_LOCATION_ID]
<2021-05-27T12:40:46.041Z> CryAnimation: trying to allocate memory for an animation-file that doesn't exist on disk.<2021-05-27T12:41:26.776Z> NPC_AlleyDweller-015 <2021-05-27T12:41:26.776Z> NPC_AlleyDweller-015 Has exit anim that didn't get played! Fragment name 'usable' and tags 'standard+backrest+sit+exit'
<2021-05-27T12:38:07.150Z> [CVARS]: [CHANGED] CXConsole::LoadConfigVar(): variable [r_GasCloudStepLengthMultiplier] is marked [Not Whitelisted] with a value of [1]; config file attempting to change to [0.7] as part of a cvar group - IGNORING

They got one thing right though
<2021-05-27T12:38:17.966Z> [disconnectlight] Game does not exist!
<2021-05-27T12:39:19.540Z> Game mode destroyed

Star Citizen: [disconnectlight] Game does not exist!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PossibleCleverBlackbear-mobile.mp4

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

Blackstone posted:

The fun thing is, the same model as the Star Citizen “no-ships” (with my apologies to the estate of Frank Herbert) works for entire industries. I don’t know if any of you is into mechanical watches. You know, those writ things that have been kinda obsolete for fifty years, and utterly obsolete since the advent of the smartphone. A wristwatch is about as useful as an SC jpg.
The industry is booming, because it sells validation to an anxious middle class.
As an extreme example, take the wrist Idris, the Patel Philippe 5711 Nautilus: it’s a kinda pretty steel watch that is not really good in any particular respect. It retails for around 30 grand. Getting one at that price is utterly impossible. You’re lucky if you can get one under 100k. They recently introduced a limited version. The only difference is that it’s green. We’re talking about a quarter of a million for that.
On a smaller scale, I understand the same thing is going on with sports shoes. They’re produced for a few cents in China, they retail for hundreds and are resold for a multiple of that. And more often than not, they are used as much as the Star Citizen ships.
I’d love to see the take of a gifted social diagnostician like Veblen on this.

counterpoint
there are cheap wrist watches that still sell milions every year, you dont need to spend a lot of money to get a nice wristwatch
a watch is a far more convenient thing to tell the time with than a phone (glance at your wrist as opposed to fumble around in a pocket, pull out the phone and press a button to turn the screen on)
wrist watches will exist long after samrtphones have been consigned to the bin of old tech that did nothing to better anybodies life.

wristwatches are a tool to do a single job and they do it perfectly hence why they still sell in their millions

my old galaxy S3 still does all the things a new shiny I-phone will do but a lot of people would look down on me for using an old rear end phone so your argument doesnt really hold water

smartphones are just as much a fashion item and a statement of how much you'll spend on tat as a watch. people buy a watch and keep it for decades, people buy phones and MUST upgrade to the latests model practically every year just to be cool and own the latest thing. (phones are every bit as much about validation to your peers as a watch is, probably more so)

MostlyRandom fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 27, 2021

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

why did that just give me anxiety.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bingemoose posted:

why did that just give me anxiety.

It's a super cool gif actually, when the gondola passed beneath them I didn't look too close and thought it was a truck, then was pretty amazed when that flying mammal just launches off hundreds of feet in the air lol

To answer your question, you're probably afraid of heights.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Beetwagon_breathingHelper

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

No one at CIG is doing bare minimum, they are all working extremely hard to make the game a reality even if it has proven far more difficult than expected resulting in what appears to the outside to be glacial progress.

The market for SC is massive and the number of people backed to date is barely scratching the surface. You just need look at any gaming thread on it for the number of people waiting for release.

The more playable this game has gotten the more money they make, just look at their finance figures for the last couple of years and you'll see big jumps with patches that brought substantial improvements.

If CIG release this game with the promised features they are going to make absolute bank, it's not a risk. If they make less than $1 billion in the year following release I would be shocked, and CIG management gets to pocket the entire lot. The game is basically GTA Online in Space and that practically prints money for Rockstar. CIG have everything to gain and nothing to lose by getting this game to release quality.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Wanted for classified. It's now confirmed: the FBI does read craigslist.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

<2021-05-27T12:40:46.041Z> CryAnimation: trying to allocate memory for an animation-file that doesn't exist on disk.<2021-05-27T12:41:26.776Z> NPC_AlleyDweller-015 <2021-05-27T12:41:26.776Z> NPC_AlleyDweller-015 Has exit anim that didn't get played! Fragment name 'usable' and tags 'standard+backrest+sit+exit'

That certainly explains the T-poses.

The Titanic posted:

Was not aware Privateer 2 was made by high school kids and fresh full sail grads.

I mean, sort of.
It was done by ERoberts, various Elms brothers and probably other bits and pieces of the Roberts' production posse.

wilderthanmild posted:

But this is an alphaaaaaa! Everyone is a developer! Surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Mostly Dead posted:

Like, what the gently caress has Tony Z even done other than the Crusader game? Looking on Moby Games, he doesn't have a game credit since 1996. 25 years. What has he been doing for the past 25 years? Obviously not game design, so how exactly has he refined and advanced his understanding of game making?

He's been programming quanta AI so sophisticated that they can deploy fake logs to users to make them think that the game is such a buggy pile of poo poo that they couldn't possibly exist. "No one who would do things this way could actually birth the singularity," say the fudster goons, looking at the unbelievably janky garbage scrolling through 3.6gb logs of nonsense. "I guess we can ignore this project." But the faithful know, and yea, will be rewarded for their faith when the quanta AI become their in-game indentured servants and, eventually, RL waifus.