Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Randalor posted:

But there are men in the Adeptus Sororitas though. I mean, look at the Penitent Engines, and the Arco-flagellants, and the Preacher and Missionary, and..

adepta sororitas are part of the ecclesiarchy, but the ecclesiarchy is not part of the sororitas
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So I decided to get into this hobby and bought some tiny titans. Ordered the current Adeptus Titanicus starter set, which has two Reavers, two Warhounds, and a couple of knights of some sort, and also an additional pair of Warhounds. The starter set hasn't arrived yet, but the Warhounds and my first set of paints and brushes have, so I assembled and did a godawful job of painting them. I asked for some tips about painting over in the painting thread, but here I'd like to ask about what else, if anything, I should pick up model wise, both to continue practicing on and to build two playable armies, since I don't think anyone I know has any titans and I'd like to be able to actually play the game.

Also, I want to magnetize the weapons on everything bigger than the Warhounds, where should I buy magnets and I assume a drill bit?

And is there a better option than Gorilla gel superglue for assembling models? It seems to work, just want to verify.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

peer posted:

adepta sororitas are part of the ecclesiarchy, but the ecclesiarchy is not part of the sororitas

If they list them in the book, they're a part of the faction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Randalor posted:

If they list them in the book, they're a part of the faction.

By this logic we already have female space marines because they can be servators and servo skulls.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kylaer posted:

So I decided to get into this hobby and bought some tiny titans. Ordered the current Adeptus Titanicus starter set, which has two Reavers, two Warhounds, and a couple of knights of some sort, and also an additional pair of Warhounds. The starter set hasn't arrived yet, but the Warhounds and my first set of paints and brushes have, so I assembled and did a godawful job of painting them. I asked for some tips about painting over in the painting thread, but here I'd like to ask about what else, if anything, I should pick up model wise, both to continue practicing on and to build two playable armies, since I don't think anyone I know has any titans and I'd like to be able to actually play the game.

Also, I want to magnetize the weapons on everything bigger than the Warhounds, where should I buy magnets and I assume a drill bit?

And is there a better option than Gorilla gel superglue for assembling models? It seems to work, just want to verify.
I'd grab a Precept Maniple box if you can. It comes with a Warlord, a Warbringer, a Reaver, and two Warhounds, at a way lower price than getting them individually. Then maybe get another Warlord if you want both sides to play with a big guy. You can also get a box of 4 Cerastus knights, so both players can have a banner of 3 small dudes.

Anything bigger than a Warhound comes with slots for 5x1mm magnets, but the Reavers only have them on the carapace weapon, so It'll need some work. Ideally, you'll magnetize both the shoulder joint and the "wrist", so they can use a power fist as well as guns. The shoulder is a ball joint, so that's a little annoying.
I've used a mix of 5mm and 3mm magnets, since my pin vice can't fit anything bigger than a 3mm bit, but it works fine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

Goonhammer.com have extensive Titanicus writeups by Legio, Titan and book.

Magnets you can buy online. EBay has loads. I would get 5x1mm magnets since those are what the pre-cast holes in the Warlord and Warbringer are designed for. They're also handy for Reavers and Warhounds. The Warmaster needs 6x2mms.

For making holes you will find milling bits (like what you get with Dremels) better than drills. Since your magnets are so thin, most drills are going to penetrate much further than the 1mm you need. Use a pin vise with a 1mm drill bit to make a pilot hole, then use the milling bits to carve out the hole slowly. If you're brave you can use a Dremel but I hand-turn mine (I hold the bit with my fingers).

For assembling plastic models the best glue is Tamiya Extra Thin which is a solvent that literally welds the parts together. Reserve superglue for gluing metal to plastic or painted plastic together.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

For assembling plastic models the best glue is Tamiya Extra Thin which is a solvent that literally welds the parts together. Reserve superglue for gluing metal to plastic or painted plastic together.

Is there any trick to using this stuff? I've been a super glue purist for a long time, and finally picked up some Tamiya. I built an Ambot for my necromunda collection about a week ago, let the glue dry for a couple days, primed it, and the model half fell apart while I was painting it. I guess maybe I didn't use enough, but it looked like plenty and I didn't want it to run out of the joints and dissolve any detail.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

thocan posted:

Is there any trick to using this stuff? I've been a super glue purist for a long time, and finally picked up some Tamiya. I built an Ambot for my necromunda collection about a week ago, let the glue dry for a couple days, primed it, and the model half fell apart while I was painting it. I guess maybe I didn't use enough, but it looked like plenty and I didn't want it to run out of the joints and dissolve any detail.

No idea what you were doing for it to not fuse. IMO you should put a generous amount on each side of the part, and make sure you put pressure on the join for at least 30 seconds to help encourage the fusing. It doesn't need to be gushing out of the join on anything, and it doesn't have to be clamped with a death grip.

Also, I've found that it doesn't dissolve detail. Even when I've gotten some on the outside of a model it's invisible after priming, as long as you leave it alone and let it dry.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
If it's Tamiya extra thin, you don't brush it on like normal. You hold it up to seams and use capillary action similar to panel lining. It's not really of use for all assembly. Brushing it onto halves generally just has it dry too quickly to join parts together.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I prefer Revell's old precision applicator for normal assembly, but I like Tamiya for filling small seams or melting mold lines.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lumbermouth posted:

Does it have a campaign system as involved as Necromunda's? That's the main reason I want to play it.

Yes.

THE BASICS (FREE)

Core Rules – all the rules you need to play the game on a single page
Army Books – army books for all of the factions available in the game
Basic Rulebook – beginner’s guide that explains the rules more thoroughly
Solo Rules – Campaign Rules – Competitive Rules – Mission Cards – Play Tokens
Official FAQ – Battlescribe Files – Community Translations – Community Wiki

PATREON CONTENT

Full Rulebook – expanded rulebook with tons of additional content
Point Calculator – create custom units and armies to play with any miniatures
Narrative Campaigns – Paper Terrain – Official Miniatures

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

thocan posted:

See what spiky said. If you're brushing it on and then joining the parts, you're doing it wrong. You want to hold the parts together or very nearly so and then just touch the loaded brush to the seam and the glue will suck into the gap. Then you press the parts together to fuse.

Tamiya extra thin doesn't have any "body", it literally melts the parts that are in contact together. If the fit on the mating surface is poor, you won't get a good join. This is very different to superglue, which polymerizes into an acrylic that bridges the parts together. You can bond poorly fitting parts together with superglue since it will just bridge all the gaps, and ironically if the surfaces are rough its even better since that provides more surface are for it to grab onto. I've had superglue joins pop simply because the surfaces were too smooth .

You can gapfill with Tamiya Extra thin as well, but it works differently. You follow the joining procedure above but you flood the join with extra glue. Then when you press the parts together you will get a bead of molten plastic pressing up. When it's cured you sand that off and the gap is gone.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Electric Hobo posted:

I prefer Revell's old precision applicator for normal assembly, but I like Tamiya for filling small seams or melting mold lines.

Same, I mainly use the revell plastic glue (the one with a thin metal pipe). When it gets clogged you just take out the pipe and burn off the dried glue with a lighter, preferrably while holding it with some tongs or something as it can get quite hot.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
So I don't have skin in this convo (I.E. Women space marines), I offer this possible suggestion:

X character asks Y chapter "Do you only recruit boys or girls as well?:" The reply simply being "We've never tried it." to basically insinuate that they only pick boys because that's just what they've been doing forever. Plays on the whole "We don't ask, we just do" aspect of mechanicus/imperium and opens up possibility.

Other possibilities: Cawl doing it apropos of G-man's orders. G-man asking to make it happen just for the recruit potential. Sister's attempting to do so among their ranks as an elite unit etc.

So many possibilities to make it happen but someone just needs to make it happen. Doesn't even need a huge reveal or a big deal about it: just do it. I would also mention that I have never seen GW specifically mention that Custodes were all from male recruits. Only thing I am aware of is that Sisters of Silence were all female, I see no reason why Custodes couldn't be from both male/female since they're recruited even earlier than Astartes.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
IIRC ADB asked if he could include female Custodes in a book and was told no, since all the models are males.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's weird how rqndom stuff like all-male marines will just stick around due to inertia

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
When gw added female Sigmarines there was no huge announcement or lore explanation. They just did it

They should just do the same with female space marines

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Moola posted:

When gw added female Sigmarines there was no huge announcement or lore explanation. They just did it

This is exactly how they should do it. Or maybe with an OOC annoucement along the lines of 'this part of the lore is BS therefore we're ditching it'

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Major Spag posted:

Other possibilities: Cawl doing it apropos of G-man's orders.

In universe explanation:

G: Female space marines are impossible to make. Even the emperor couldn't do it.
C: Hold my beer.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

In universe explanation:

G: Female space marines are impossible to make. Even the emperor couldn't do it.
C: Hold my beer.

I don't really like the first line because it wasn't worded as impossible, just not what the E-man did. The fact that other authors had Malcador indicate that there was an option for the Primarchs being non-male means that it was more of the Emperor being kinda a dick and less about it being technologically impossible.

That said, no real reason why Cawl who had 10k years to mess around with full genetic blueprints couldn't have figured it out.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Emperor: I don't want to make female Astartes because there's a risk they could reproduce with male Astartes and then the Astartes would be their own species and would become a threat to humanity, and my goal is to protect humanity. I have made Astartes geneseed so it doesn't work on women, because these are my priorities.
Cawl: Yeah those aren't really my priorities. I changed the Primaris geneseed so it works on women.
Guilliman: I'm not convinced my father would have approved of this.
Aid to Guilliman: Here is a report of a recent battle in which several of these new female space marines comported themselves with honor in battle.
Guilliman, a single tear running down his cheek: I'm convinced!

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Major Spag posted:

I don't really like the first line because it wasn't worded as impossible, just not what the E-man did. The fact that other authors had Malcador indicate that there was an option for the Primarchs being non-male means that it was more of the Emperor being kinda a dick and less about it being technologically impossible.

That said, no real reason why Cawl who had 10k years to mess around with full genetic blueprints couldn't have figured it out.

The easiest answer is "Cawl's tinkering to create Primaris geneseed required additional genetic modifications. Some of those resulted in fixing the incompatibility issues with females, doubling the potential pool of recruits. This was welcome news to nearly all of the hard-pressed Astartes chapters..." etc. etc.

They can just sell the Female Stormcast head upgrade sprue from Forgeworld as "Female Space Marines" and be done until they introduce new characters.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I cant believe there are monsters that use the human heads for the SM models instead of using just the helmets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Every space marine in my army that is helmeted is trans and gay

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
So are the unhelmed ones, that's equality

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I cant believe there are monsters that use the human heads for the SM models instead of using just the helmets.

Also only the pointy helmets are canon to me, FYI.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

There is this old polish movie called Sexmission, about two guys who after taking part in a hibernation experiment wake up into a future where all men have been extinct for generations, and society consists only of women who reproduce with parthenogenesis. By the end of the movie the two guys secretly mix gametes into the beakers at the incubation center. The movie ends with a nurse screaming in horror after discovering a newborn baby's penis.

Now I imagine introducing female space marines into 40k in a similar manner.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's weird how rqndom stuff like no primaris GK will just stick around due to inertia

Asking the real questions here. :colbert:

GW should just pull the trigger on female space marines with no in universe explanation, but an out of universe one. gently caress off huge titanic war machines get added to the game and no no they were there all along just off camera happens all the time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just have them come back from pacifying a Magellanic cloud.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

gently caress off huge titanic war machines get added to the game and no no they were there all along just off camera happens all the time.

I wondered the same thing about the Adeptus Titanicus, actually. Like, if those things exist, why would anyone bother with all the little soldiermans? It's not like the Imperium cares about preserving civilians and infrastructure through limited warfare, and it's not like most of the other factions do either, nor even taking and holding land, which is typically why you need infantry.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Every space marine in my army that is helmeted is trans and gay

rad!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Moola posted:

This is the correct answer, by the way. Presented without comment, ignore all screeching, quietly release some books involving them kicking rear end/taking names, end.

Or they can do it the Marvel comics way where they go "check it out a new space marine hero" and just draw her like, standing there without even a cool pose and no expression on their face.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I really dislike Marvel's trend of "check out our new female hero!" and it's just an old hero but gender swapped

It's like they're too scared to actually commit to an original new lady hero, so they just fall back on "Wolverine, BUT A LADY!"

Give me more Ms Marvels and Squirrel Girls!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moola posted:

]
Give me more Ms Marvels and Squirrel Girls!

Sometimes it's just a matter of putting characters out there and seeing what resonates. Squirrel Girl was originally just the most amusing member of a team of superheroes with lousy powers.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

Sometimes it's just a matter of putting characters out there and seeing what resonates. Squirrel Girl was originally just the most amusing member of a team of superheroes with lousy powers.

my only issue is they're usually just standing there doing nothing

have them beat up a guy or something you rear end in a top hat

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
99.99999% of the Imperium who isn't an actual Space Marine probably wouldn't even blink if you told them the Adeptus Astartes, the Emperors Angels of Death were male/female/both. In universe they're so rarefied and distant no one that doesn't have contact with them would know (or care).

The first in-universe chud who goes up to a female space marine and says "you cannot exist" will either (I) get every bone in their face broken if they're lucky or (II)strung up for immolation if they're not.

In other words GW should just do it and anyone who complains can go hang. Drug addicts don't complain when the dealer changes the formula, they'll keep buying anyway. I bet Arch-whateverhisname still plays with his little nazi-mans even after being made persona non grata by GW.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
unironically though how new is the concept of the adeptus titanicus tho? I thought they were a fairly established part of WH40k

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Older than most of it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

unironically though how new is the concept of the adeptus titanicus tho? I thought they were a fairly established part of WH40k

The original AT came out in 1988.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fun fact: Adeptus Titanicus caused the horus heresy as explanation as to why both sides had the same sculpts.

The "new" Warmaster class actually appeared in an old illustration. The fluff around it is also pretty cool, and explains why it hasn't been in previous games.