Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Joey Freshwater posted:

Speaking of traveling it really does seem like things are going back to normal. I'm doing Rosemary Beach all next week starting Saturday, then weekend after Savannah for a wedding. July I'm going to Nashville to see a buddy that works for the Nashville SC, gonna go see a game. August going to Portland, OR for a bachelor party.

Everyone on any of these trips has all been vaccinated. One of the requirements of the wedding was that guests could only attend if they're vaccinated - same for the bachelor party. The Rosemary trip we just got a house to ourselves and aren't planning on going anywhere except the beach until after the memorial day crowd has calmed down - it'll be my first time in Rosemary so I'm excited.

Anyone else have trips planned?

My parents want to come visit us early next week to see our new house...but are also thinking of booking an AirBnB for their time here?

Other than that I have a cousin getting married in Michigan in July, but beyond that we don't have poo poo planned. Buying a house and having a partner trying to turn her startup profitable doesn't leave a lot of money for travel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Gotta say, it’s been a very strange experience with the girlfriend as things are opening up. We started seeing each other last August, and so we’ve obviously gotten pretty comfortable together in general, but actually going out and spending time together doing stuff in public is almost a brand new thing. Not a complaint at all, if anything it’s been pretty fun to shake things up from a very consistent status quo, just a twist on my usual experiences.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yours are cooler than mine

I do! Going to be in a friend's wedding in Chicago this September. They're the type of couple to have a small party at an outstanding restaurant and/or bar. Covid combined with two kids, plus the fact that I'm going alone, means this is the most I'll have been able to cut loose in... two years?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

D-LINK posted:

July 14 - Aug 3rd. Venice, Florence, Antibes. Couple nights in Paris on both ends.

Hell yeah, Bastille Day in Paris

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

T-Square posted:

Yeah my fiancé and I did Keto together for a few months and I lost like 10 pounds and then gained 20 back lol.

The real super secret diet is anxiety I’m back under 170 for the first time in like 2.5 years :smug:

I spent most of my 20s around the same weight (mid 180s). In 2017 I went through some massive anxiety where I could barely eat anything and dropped about 10 pounds within a month. When my appetite came back I started to overeat to basically overcompensate, then ended up past the point where I was way over my original weight. Whoops! I stayed there until this last year when I finally started working out while making sure I didn't overeat. Now I'm under my 20s weight and I did it in a healthy way!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Speaking of traveling it really does seem like things are going back to normal. I'm doing Rosemary Beach all next week starting Saturday, then weekend after Savannah for a wedding. July I'm going to Nashville to see a buddy that works for the Nashville SC, gonna go see a game. August going to Portland, OR for a bachelor party.

Everyone on any of these trips has all been vaccinated. One of the requirements of the wedding was that guests could only attend if they're vaccinated - same for the bachelor party. The Rosemary trip we just got a house to ourselves and aren't planning on going anywhere except the beach until after the memorial day crowd has calmed down - it'll be my first time in Rosemary so I'm excited.

I am dying to get back to the pacific northwest, but our vacation last year was off the table because of covid.

And now we have the baby. No way am I traveling all day on airplanes with a baby lol.

I'm thinking maybe we drive down to Savannah in November when she's a little older and the weather has cooled off. I just want to get away from work, stay somewhere nice, eat good food and relax.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Hell yeah, Bastille Day in Paris

I'm stoked, my friend

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I am dying to get back to the pacific northwest, but our vacation last year was off the table because of covid.

And now we have the baby. No way am I traveling all day on airplanes with a baby lol.

I'm thinking maybe we drive down to Savannah in November when she's a little older and the weather has cooled off. I just want to get away from work, stay somewhere nice, eat good food and relax.

I've never been to Portland (or even Seattle) so I'm looking forward to it. The bachelor isn't much of a partier and just wants to be outside so we're gonna do Mt. Hood and some other stuff in the area.

I don't think I realized you were driving distance to Savannah - Savannah is okay but I like Charleston so much more.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think if you're vaccinated fully, it's fine to travel now with precautions, at least domestically. Air flight isn't usually where the 'rona spreads. Obviously if you're traveling with kids who can't get vaccinated (or you're coming home to unvaccinated people), think twice about it.

I'm still hesitant to travel internationally, especially considering a lot of countries are lagging in getting the vaccines they need.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't think I realized you were driving distance to Savannah - Savannah is okay but I like Charleston so much more.

Charleston is one of the cities I randomly went to on a business trip, and yeah it's a super cool city being in the middle of the deep south and all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

D-LINK posted:

I'm stoked, my friend
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1397965741916360714
Speaking of Bastille Day I long for the day of revolution when yinzers can do that to Bob Nutting's house

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

That's kinda why I'm not just hopping on a transatlantic flight right now. Just gonna let it ride a little longer

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've never been to Portland (or even Seattle) so I'm looking forward to it. The bachelor isn't much of a partier and just wants to be outside so we're gonna do Mt. Hood and some other stuff in the area.

We've done a lot of trips to Charleston as well. I like both cities a lot. I give an edge to Savannah because I prefer the restaurants.

Two years ago we did Savannah right around Halloween and it kicked rear end. Walking around an already kind of creepy city during that time of year was so cool.

Molly loved it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yours are cooler than mine

I love Rosemary beach.

GF and I will take a long weekend to Atlanta here shortly to buy home stuff. Already did the Punta Cana trip.

Next trip will likely be a big one to SE Asia, assuming things normalize.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking of Bastille Day I long for the day of revolution when yinzers can do that to Bob Nutting's house

lol that dumbass 1B it's a force out you don't have to chase him

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

If I were a Pirates fan I would have left

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I have never really travelled in my life, outside of going to Niagara Falls when I was kid, trucking it down to Daytona to race every few years with Dad and going to Austin for Formula 1. All of my vacations as an adult have just been driving a few hours north to stay in cabins and stuff, which is all fine and dandy. I really want to be able to get out of country for the first time within the next few years.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hot Diggity! posted:

Mark Cuban is a coward for not buying the Pirates from that dipshit Colbert looking jagoff who I don't know why owns the Pirates because I don't imagine they bring him that much money

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hot Diggity! posted:

At first I was like "thats so dumb, just tag the base" then I was like, "Oh, thats smart, he's faking dumb to get the double play" and then it wen back to being dumb and just bad. I can still tell you the whole line up of the 92 Pirates though...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ehud posted:

I've done it, two cross country round trips, DC to SEA, albeit in pre covid times. If you wanna try it, AMA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Where at? My in-laws are in Thailand and apparently everyone who flies into the country has a mandatory hotel quarantine for 1-2 weeks on arrival, even if you're vaccinated. Not sure how other countries there are handling it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

swickles posted:

At first I was like "thats so dumb, just tag the base" then I was like, "Oh, thats smart, he's faking dumb to get the double play" and then it wen back to being dumb and just bad. I can still tell you the whole line up of the 92 Pirates though...

There were two outs!! This was t-ball level ineptitude by a professional baseball player!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hot Diggity! posted:

There were two outs!! This was t-ball level ineptitude by a professional baseball player!!

Oh god, I didn't even see that part.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

T-Square posted:

I have never really travelled in my life, outside of going to Niagara Falls when I was kid, trucking it down to Daytona to race every few years with Dad and going to Austin for Formula 1. All of my vacations as an adult have just been driving a few hours north to stay in cabins and stuff, which is all fine and dandy. I really want to be able to get out of country for the first time within the next few years.

Travel rules, buddy. I am aware that I am super privileged, but everyone who can should do their best to visit and mingle with other cultures. It is very good for the empathy and understanding muscles

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Where at? My in-laws are in Thailand and apparently everyone who flies into the country has a mandatory hotel quarantine for 1-2 weeks on arrival, even if you're vaccinated. Not sure how other countries there are handling it.

thinking south thailand, to bangkok, to hanoi. Basically want to do beach first, party second, STREET FOOD APACOLYPSE third

again this is assuming things normalize.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

shirts and skins posted:

I've done it, two cross country round trips, DC to SEA, albeit in pre covid times. If you wanna try it, AMA

Oh my god. How long did it take?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Coco13 posted:

Set small achievable goals that you feel you can sustain for years. Snacking on pork rinds and promising to drop carrots is a big sign that you're creating a future failure, not making meaningful and repeatable changes to your diet.
Well my small change is giving up potato chips. I can just do that fullstop instead of switching to pork rinds, maybe more fresh finger food veg.

Ehud posted:

This isn't really what you asked, but my best tip is that diets like this aren't sustainable for most people. You'll lose a bunch of weight if you stick to it, but what is your plan once you've hit your target weight? You cannot eat like that forever.

I always tell people the same thing, which is the advice I was given from a dietician and nutritionist. Work towards eating meals where you fill your plate with 50% non-starchy vegetables, 25% complex carbs and 25% protein. You'll consistently lose weight and it's way more sustainable and practical. It's not even a diet. It's just something you can do forever and you'll be way healthier and maintain a good weight :shrug:
When I get to a target weight I would change to something more like that. My brother-in-law and one of my friends had great success losing weight and keeping it of by going keto then just general low carb.

"fill your plate with 50% non-starchy vegetables, 25% complex carbs and 25% protein."

Eating meals like that is hard on the road because it's all fast food or convenience store stuff. Those meals just don't exist outside of salads.

Braksgirl posted:

Just eat mostly plants and move a lot. It’s the only thing you can do.
"Move a lot" is my other big problem because I'm in the truck for basically 100 hours in a row. I'm in the sleeper berth right now about to nap at 65mph.

FizFashizzle posted:

I do 16/8.

Have you already been doing IF? That's a lot of diet change to make all at once.

Gum will generally be considered breaking both fasting and keto since most gum has sugar.

Depending on how strict people are no one will care about celery.
I already skip breakfast so I'm on 12/12, this is more about not snacking late after my dinner. And not snacking late when at home.

Is sugar free gum ok? It's more about something to do to keep my mind distracted from white line fever.

I'm starting at 315 and want to get below 250 for the first time in a decade. I already talked to my PCP and am being set up for some stuff like a dietitian. I'm just wanting to get a start with something I know has worked for two people I know.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

I'm starting at 315 and want to get below 250 for the first time in a decade. I already talked to my PCP and am being set up for some stuff like a dietitian. I'm just wanting to get a start with something I know has worked for two people I know.

I understand. And it's good that you already have some experience with fasting.

Main two problems with Keto is food prep and compliance. Due to your work, getting keto foods if you're on the road is going to be difficult. Because point 2, keto requires very strict compliance. There's no such thing as 80% keto. You're either in a ketogenic state or you're not

99% of people that say they're on keto are not actually in a ketogenic state; they're usually just doing something like paleo which will produce results anyway.

doing both IF and Keto starting from 315 is a LOT.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Heading up to Door County, WI in a couple weeks just to get a away from Chicago for a few days. Booked a trip to NC to stay in the mountains in October again. Can't wait until my kid is a little older because my wife and I both want to take longer trips. It's not really worth it with a little kid though. Everything takes longer, he still takes afternoon naps, and he's not going to remember anything.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I'm assuming I'll end up back in San Jose for work now that travel is open and we don't have to do a ten day quarantine before going on-site. We'll likely make a weekend out of that and see my wife's cousins in that area.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just landed in Palm Springs to see my family and roast next to the pool for a few days. Feeling very happy to be vaccinated and that things are slowly getting back to normal

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

achillesforever6 posted:

I love Javy, but the Pirates are so bad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CannonFodder posted:

"fill your plate with 50% non-starchy vegetables, 25% complex carbs and 25% protein."

Eating meals like that is hard on the road because it's all fast food or convenience store stuff. Those meals just don't exist outside of salads.

Oof. I didn't realize you were driving for a living. I'm not sure if keto and IF are going to be any easier than my advice when we're talking about eating on the road though.

Do you have access to any sort of refrigeration?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Heading up to Door County, WI in a couple weeks just to get a away from Chicago for a few days. Booked a trip to NC to stay in the mountains in October again. Can't wait until my kid is a little older because my wife and I both want to take longer trips. It's not really worth it with a little kid though. Everything takes longer, he still takes afternoon naps, and he's not going to remember anything.

The FIBs are returning to Wisconsin, nature is healing.

(Take them to Al Johnson’s, goats should be on the roof by now.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

thinking south thailand, to bangkok, to hanoi. Basically want to do beach first, party second, STREET FOOD APACOLYPSE third

again this is assuming things normalize.

HMU when you start making actual plans and I'll try to get you a field report. The Thai government has apparently bungled a lot of the vaccine rollout but I doubt that would be super-obvious to tourists, since tourism is such a huge part of the economy.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CannonFodder posted:

I'm going to this thread instead of the YLLS low carb thread.

I'm planning on doing keto with intermittent fasting, aiming for 18-6 with the fasting/eating. I've been watching a few videos like this: https://youtu.be/tJICCFZLgHY
https://youtu.be/dR6TnC1RY_8
https://youtu.be/vhmtoAYVRSo

Are these legit? They seem good.

Anyone have tips for diet and how to handle cravings?

When I'm on the road I can get keto friendly stuff like chicken caesar salads and hard boiled eggs and single serve cheese, my big concern is how I usually eat celery and carrot sticks going late at night just out of boredom eating (yes, I will cut out the carrots) and how that would extend my eating time.

Does chewing gum count as eating to break the fast? That's another one of my tricks to just keep me awake. I think they are like 5 calories a stick but they have 1g of sugar alcohols which I think don't count as carbs for keto.

Just putting this out here because I know some of y'all have done this before.

I already miss potato chips. Pork rinds are good but just not the same.
Looks like other people have already given their two cents, but I spent way too much time writing this so I'm posting anyway.

Before clicking on your YouTube links I was going to suggest watching Dr. Eric Berg's videos, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that's what you linked. He's a very knowledgeable source on keto and I love his presentation style.

I am not a doctor like Fiz or swickles, but I have done keto before and have had success doing it, so I feel like I can share some tips based on my experience.

For starters, be patient and take things one day at a time. 315 to 250 is a reasonable goal, but it will take time to get there (especially without much physical activity).

My second piece of advice for you is to view keto as a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you view it as a "diet", you're viewing it as temporary, leaving you susceptible to failure. That said, allow yourself a cheat day every week. That way you won't be depriving yourself of the foods you love and go on a binge if you happen to have a misstep along the way. Feel like eating a bag of potato chips on a Saturday? Knock yourself out!

As far as cravings go, you will find that your cravings will decrease the longer you're on keto. That said, learn how to differentiate between needing to eat when you're legitimately hungry (as in you feel like you're body will shut down if you don't eat something) and eating because you're brain is telling you to, whether it's because of stress or boredom. Look up the Pavlovian response and how it relates to hunger.

As far as IF goes, 18:6 is somewhat extreme for someone just starting out. 16:8 is the baseline most people start at for IF. If you want to ease into it, I'd suggest starting at 14:10 the first week and then increasing/decreasing your fasting/feeding period every week after until you're at your desired interval.

You mentioned chewing gum to help keep you awake. Unless caffeine is a major problem for you, I suggest getting used to drinking black coffee instead.

If you have additional questions, feel free to shoot me a PM :D

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ehud posted:

Oof. I didn't realize you were driving for a living. I'm not sure if keto and IF are going to be any easier than my advice when we're talking about eating on the road though.

Do you have access to any sort of refrigeration?
I do have a mini fridge.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I just have to say in the midst of everything else, it's weird how TFF mods/admins rarely melt down, if ever. It makes me wonder what they're really hiding...

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Where are you going in Door County? My friend’s parents bought a loving gorgeous little three story house in Sturgeon Bay a few years ago so we get to stay up there for free whenever we want so long as it’s not being rented out. It’s such a cool area. I want to do the ferry-hopping thing and camp at Rock Island later this year or maybe next.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I love Rosemary beach.

GF and I will take a long weekend to Atlanta here shortly to buy home stuff. Already did the Punta Cana trip.

Any suggestions for Rosemary?

Should grab beers when you're in Atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1397965478027530246?s=21