Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Lunar Suite posted:

Sorry, I meant my post to be helpful, but may have come across as snide instead. I apologise for not communicating clearly.

I was making fun of office, not of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hammerite posted:

I would propose that if you're (impersonal you) interfering with functionality that is already working, and whose proper functioning is a matter of widely-accepted norms, and which it is not obviously your business to interfere with, then it makes you look particularly incompetent if your interference causes that working functionality to break.

Arguably, there's precedent for a similar behavior to the one you're talking about : the browser prediction bar. It takes over backspace, so I no longer get to think "ah, I've messed up the most recent key, I'll inform the computer" I have to be aware it was running ahead of me and the first backspace just tells it we're not going there, THEN I can finally backspace to remove my errant keystroke.

But anyway if I got to implement a predictive text box I'd have it change guesses or re-weight at every keystroke boundary because it's totally fine if tw gets me to twitter and twi gets me to twitch EVEN IF twi is still a valid prefix of twitter. It would save me marginal amounts of time if any and be completely inscrutable to lots of folks.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I was making fun of office, not of you!

Thank you for reassuring, I appreciate it. I hope you have a nice weekend!

Oh, coding horrors - I'm writing a python-based client to log into our lab's LIMS. The LIMS is called TelePath, and since my program is a more powerful TelePath, I named it Professor X.

It also horribly mangles all the ANSI codes it is fed, and there's loads of race conditions I'm bypassing with time.sleep(0.2) :shh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:allbuttons:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"And has the defence counsel gathered all the evidence they require towards the acquittal of these murder charges?"

"We have, your honour."

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

Arguably, there's precedent for a similar behavior to the one you're talking about : the browser prediction bar. It takes over backspace, so I no longer get to think "ah, I've messed up the most recent key, I'll inform the computer" I have to be aware it was running ahead of me and the first backspace just tells it we're not going there, THEN I can finally backspace to remove my errant keystroke.

But anyway if I got to implement a predictive text box I'd have it change guesses or re-weight at every keystroke boundary because it's totally fine if tw gets me to twitter and twi gets me to twitch EVEN IF twi is still a valid prefix of twitter. It would save me marginal amounts of time if any and be completely inscrutable to lots of folks.

I don't think the omnibar really takes over backspace per se. What it does is automatically select the suggested suffix, while keeping what you typed manually unselected. And of course it's always been the case that if you have selected text, backspace deletes all of it instead of deleting the previous character.

Maybe the effect is vaguely similar to the screwy inter-word space deletion thing, but there's a big difference in how the behavior is communicated to the user, which is part of what makes it okay. You'll also find similar auto-completion UX in other areas, which helps further.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The Cavern of COBOL › Coding Horrors: It would save me marginal amounts of time if any and be completely inscrutable to lots of folks.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

JawnV6 posted:

That behaviour is poo poo as well and should be abolished

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Turning off inline autocomplete is one of the first things I do any time I install Firefox anywhere. So obnoxious.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does this belong here?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I dread the day I go to buy a refrigerator or something and the only options are "smart" ones.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does this belong here?

I don't understand why this is a coding horror. Ovens, fridges, toasters, washers, dryers, etc are networked these days, that's just a fact of life, unavoidable.

- Give each kitchen its own vlan and subnet, and segment further into per physical location
- Ovens can coexist on the same subnet as fridges, but disable broadcast traffic because of bad hardware/software manufacturers
- The application owner is the team using the oven, likely the test kitchen people
- The oncall schedule is the same as anything else. When the oven is in use, the on calls are the oven operators/users, out of hours if the oven turns itself on, page NOC/security and have them unplug it or similar
- The oven should stay online and respond to pings. If it is not responding to ICMP or dropped off the network, page the oncall
- Almost all ovens do not support SNMP. I've seen a rare few washer-dryers that do.
- Monitor the oven manufacturer's website. For major western manufacturers there are usually mandatory firmware updates, usually involving DRM patches to ensure you can only use certain things with the oven
- With the startup techie ovens it's usually monthly or more (patch cycle)
- No
- Not ovens specifically but there are multiple CVEs assigned to things like fryers
- There are no premade signatures, just log it by mac address in inventory; you WILL need to prevent cryptolockers, shitcoin miners, etc, they will run on these
- You can also track by MAC OUI, for example June Life's smart ovens with built in GPUs and whatnot all start with c4:57:1f macs

This is just how appliances are made these days. If you want something dumb you pay the extra amount to get rid of the dumb. For example, June Oven requires an app and a monthly paid subscription in addition to buying the oven. You can pay 3x this price to get a normal oven that does wifi/ethernet without cloud.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Biowarfare posted:

I don't understand why this is a coding horror. Ovens, fridges, toasters, washers, dryers, etc are networked these days, that's just a fact of life, unavoidable.

:thunk:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

I don't like it either, but that's just the way things are. It's better [for the manufacturer] to sell you an item, then monetise your user data, then charge you a monthly sub, then sell your purchasing habits.

It's like how it's completely impossible to buy a non-"smart" TV anymore, at least not without paying several times more.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 26, 2021

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Biowarfare posted:

- Give each kitchen its own vlan and subnet, and segment further into per physical location
- Ovens can coexist on the same subnet as fridges, but disable broadcast traffic because of bad hardware/software manufacturers
- The application owner is the team using the oven, likely the test kitchen people
- The oncall schedule is the same as anything else. When the oven is in use, the on calls are the oven operators/users, out of hours if the oven turns itself on, page NOC/security and have them unplug it or similar
- The oven should stay online and respond to pings. If it is not responding to ICMP or dropped off the network, page the oncall
- Almost all ovens do not support SNMP. I've seen a rare few washer-dryers that do.
- Monitor the oven manufacturer's website. For major western manufacturers there are usually mandatory firmware updates, usually involving DRM patches to ensure you can only use certain things with the oven
- With the startup techie ovens it's usually monthly or more (patch cycle)
- No
- Not ovens specifically but there are multiple CVEs assigned to things like fryers
- There are no premade signatures, just log it by mac address in inventory; you WILL need to prevent cryptolockers, shitcoin miners, etc, they will run on these
- You can also track by MAC OUI, for example June Life's smart ovens with built in GPUs and whatnot all start with c4:57:1f macs

This is just how appliances are made these days. If you want something dumb you pay the extra amount to get rid of the dumb. For example, June Oven requires an app and a monthly paid subscription in addition to buying the oven. You can pay 3x this price to get a normal oven that does wifi/ethernet without cloud.

How much for a normal oven that doesn't do wifi or Ethernet?

Like do these things have all the cool industrial knobs for controlling humidity inside the oven? What benefits does the user get from having it be networked?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

leper khan posted:

What benefits does the user get from having it be networked?

Why does the user need to benefit? The manufacturer benefits by being able to automatically upload images of everything the user attempts to cook to sell for marketing purposes, listens in on the network to see what other smart devices are there to sell for marketing purposes, etc.

Interestingly, a samsung 30" wall oven (smart) is $1.2k, and a GE non-smart single wall oven is $2.5k, with bunches of GE smart ones below $2k. I wasn't expecting this

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
sure, the "smart" oven foisted on you so the manufacturer could harvest your data was taken over by hackers to mine bitcoins, but that's just the way things are these days.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Biowarfare posted:

at least my knee-jerk reaction was "jesus christ, is this dude from the 90's? wasn't dhcp invented so we don't have to care about poo poo like this anymore?" people are walking around wearing sunglasses that have ip addresses nowadays.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

leper khan posted:

How much for a normal oven that doesn't do wifi or Ethernet?

Like do these things have all the cool industrial knobs for controlling humidity inside the oven? What benefits does the user get from having it be networked?

For industrial ovens (especially test kitchens) it's probably metrics so that you can be sure your test cook followed the right procedures, or for Applebee's you can make sure the cook doesn't just have the microwave on the whole time and only opening / closing the door. For home users it's "preheat the oven before you even get home, so that when you're done chopping it's been at the set temp for 30m instead of 15m and you can loath yourself more, and have an excuse for more wine!"

I also do not want a smart anything.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I particularly don't want "smart" on devices that involve fire.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I particularly don't want "smart" on devices that involve fire.

You've got nice dinner here. It would be a shame if something happened to it.

Now pay up the monthly subscription.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The next time I deal with a bug report I'm just going to close it with "This is just the way things are now, unavoidable"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

The next time I deal with a bug report I'm just going to close it with "This is just the way things are now, unavoidable"

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap >The Cavern of COBOL › Coding Horrors: that's just a fact of life, unavoidable.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Why do the heating elements look suspiciously like GPUs?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Why do the heating elements look suspiciously like GPUs?

:bitcoin:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap >The Cavern of COBOL › Coding Horrors: that's just a fact of life, unavoidable.

we took a wrong turn somewhere

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Do I have to sign a EULA to use these ovens???

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

namlosh posted:

Do I have to sign a EULA to use these ovens???

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Now the FBI can watch whenever I burn poo poo in the oven. Fantastic :thumbsup:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

lol they put an accelerometer in an oven

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Spatial posted:

lol they put an accelerometer in an oven

If you slam the oven door, an NSA agent loudly yells "DON'T DO THAT" at you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

If you slam the oven door, an NSA agent loudly yells "DON'T DO THAT" at you

Dad-yelling-about-the-thermostat-as-a-service

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Holyyyyyyy poo poo…

Do you have to click “accept” somewhere or is the purchase some kind of acceptance or do you have to accept for warranty? I would blow my gasket if I couldn’t disable that crap.

I realize Im less tolerant of invasions in my family and my privacy than most but WOW. I’d definitely be looking at any and all measures to keep that data from being shared. Voided warranty or not

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Hello user, your Jostle Score exceeds the limit and this oven will not allow you to cook this soufflé. Please remove the soufflé and insert a food with an difficulty of Tyson Dinosaur Chicken Nuggets or lower in order to reduce your Jostle Score.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

[Extend cooking time by 30 minutes INSTANTLY with only 4000 Jostle Gems!]

- Buy 7900 Jostle Gems for $15 (BEST VALUE)
- Buy 3700 Jostle Gems for $6
- Buy 1300 Jostle Gems for $4

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Me: *cooks chicken*

Ads: OH YOU LIKE CHICKEN WHY NOT BUY CHICKEN GOOD CHICKEN DEALS IN YOUR AREA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Where did I share the story about smart cars trying to upsell you on features while you drive?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, like that target article from a while ago:

“Are you sure you want to cook fish tonight? Your daughters pregnant”

I learned some networking so I could put IoT devices on a separate Vlan that had no access to anything else or the internet.

poo poo phoning home makes my skin crawl.

And I understand that others have a different tolerance than me about this privacy stuff, but the normalization of it makes it harder and harder for me to be comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where did I share the story about smart cars trying to upsell you on features while you drive?

You might have combined two news stories in your head.

BMW is trying to turn features like heated seats into a subscription service, and Ford just patented "sell ad space on the in-car display that plays when you drive past a billboard."