Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Coolguye posted:

a generic training lounge where you can assign a teacher and a student, and the teacher slowly brings the student's stats and skills up to their level, would make it so a lot of this jank poo poo is actually extremely optional as you can just go play the game the fun way to raise someone up and then assign them as a teacher to get a cool buddy to roll with.

That would be a cool mod. I’d download that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Leal posted:

Every other game: You failed, eat rear end.

Kenshi: You failed, get even.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Saul Kain posted:

That would be a cool mod. I’d download that.

i normally hate mods in my games because it messes with my ability to talk about the game to others (lots of convos just sort of stop cold because someone's using a mod) but man i was so crushed that a simple mod like that didn't exist for kenshi that i spent a long afternoon trying to figure out how to mod it in

like most goon projects it failed horribly

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If it didn't result in a death trap for children it went better than most

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just get training dummies expanded and headcannon it by keeping the “trainer” following the trainee

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Azhais posted:

If it didn't result in a death trap for children it went better than most

hey I like that band

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Training dummies, and the various training dummy mods, are a decent way to give zero-stat recruits a bit of a boost mid/late game. You are also gated from them in early game, and they don't even train you all that far. I think they're fine.

I've also found that the game is more fun when running with LESS characters. It's too easy to fall into the hole of recruiting a massive army and rolling over everything through sheer numbers. Right now, I'm limiting myself to 5 guys for combat and exploration. I'm currently at 2 after having one die. So far its p fun.

Also holy molly it's easy to level up sneak and assassination! Don't even bother with the training dummies, just find some poor peasants at night and you'll be past 30 in a fraction of the time. And sneaking is easy since it doesn't depend on who can or can't see you. Just sneak when traveling between cities.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It actually does, if you monitor it while on the move you'll see at times it stops increasing, but yes it's not a big deal at all to train those to useful levels. Clothing buffs like from ninja rags ar alo easy to come by because item quality doesn't matter for those.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I did a writeup on this probably over a year ago at this point but the Foglands is one of the absolute best zones to jump-start your team in the early-game. You can set your whole team to sneak behind a group of fogmen who are praying at a sacrifice pole and your sneak will shoot up to like 80+ in a few minutes because of a combination of the volume of enemies and the levels of the heavies and princes. You do have to be near an NPC for stealth to go up, but certain actions (like sleeping or the fogmen praying) will disable/significantly lower an NPC's stealth detect level, so you can gain free points

You can also have your whole team assassinate the same fogman to skyrocket that stat as well, but just like sleeping, trying to KO a fogman during prayer will have a chance to activate them and then a small group will turn and try to fight you. A few failed hits against even a basic Fogman will bring your stat up to like, 20 or so, and from there it's easy to just chain knockout enemies to get up to 80. From there you just KO a fogman, put them on the pole, which draws more fogmen, and then you KO and loot the prince heads for a ton of cats

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 23, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I did a writeup on this probably over a year ago at this point but the Foglands is one of the absolute best zones to jump-start your team in the early-game. You can set your whole team to sneak behind a group of fogmen who are praying at a sacrifice pole and your sneak will shoot up to like 80+ in a few minutes because of a combination of the volume of enemies and the levels of the heavies and princes. You do have to be near an NPC for stealth to go up, but certain actions (like sleeping or the fogmen praying) will disable/significantly lower an NPC's stealth detect level, so you can gain free points

You can also have your whole team assassinate the same fogman to skyrocket that stat as well, but just like sleeping, trying to KO a fogman during prayer will have a chance to activate them and then a small group will turn and try to fight you. A few failed hits against even a basic Fogman will bring your stat up to like, 20 or so, and from there it's easy to just chain knockout enemies to get up to 80. From there you just KO a fogman, put them on the pole, which draws more fogmen, and then you KO and loot the prince heads for a ton of cats

Also seems mildly insane but once you've got some stealth stat, and a few levels of lockpick, if you're Playing Stupid Games in a deathyard and get swarmed you can break aggro by climbing up a sacrifice pole. You might get hit once or twice but fogmen (and most NPCs) will stop attacking prisoner restrained in a cage/pole/etc owned by their faction (wild animals will still eat you alive, which can be used for toughness training).

Just make sure you choose a pole with a low enough level to lockpick, and activate sneaking before escaping if you want to get out without getting hit again.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
There's definately a point where too many dudes makes the game unfun and is a logistical nightmare to keep everyone fed, however, if you have a few low level dudes with no stealth ability, seperate one from the pack slightly and get them to follow one of the others, then get all the others to follow that person, stealth, and perhaps give some some rocks or copper to carry, you might need to adjust the formation, but they will trot around in wobbly circles while you can concentrate of shopping or whatever you are doing, while the FCS is not immediately obvious hopw to fiddle with, its got lots of ease of use features, like select all object of x type and bump up the stack size a little.
Also, I guess I can try to merge all the training stuff together so building a Dojo is possible, although unless you did something odd and recruited someone with minus 30 strength, (time for dumbells on the roof of a storehouse or something,)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://steamcommunity.com/games/233860/announcements/detail/2999939903833917404

kenshi 2 river raptor render

game's 40% off for the weekend as a part of steam's open world sale

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I love him

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Also Cheepy on humble.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kenshi

Also, i tried stripping out and combining the training stuff from Genmod and the other couple of mods affecting training and i keep loving up and missing stuff, I'll have another go in a bit.
I'm also trying to make a body horror mod where sentient sexdolls replace their inflatable limbs with robolimbs and run amok. because thats wyd when the paranoia sets in about non mask wearing idiots and a govt purely devoted to the economy over human life.
*sharpens javellin*

staberind fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 28, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I don't know where to post something like this so I'm going to ask here, I did something dumb and bought Kenshi! (because my free time is so vast and I totally have enough of it for a game like this... yeah right.)

Anyway, I got it from HumbleBundle and the key it gave me activated just fine on Steam, but it comes up as "Kenshi (without Registration Key)" when I went to check under;

Account details > View licenses and product key activations >

This seems odd to me, did I not get the full game? Do I need to contact support, either Steam or Humble about this?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I assume it's fine. I've never heard of anyone having an incomplete version of the game.

I think they had a plan for registration keys and didn't end up doing anything with them. Or maybe it has to do with selling on different platforms. Or maybe it's an artifact from somewhere in it's lengthy development. :shrug: All I know is every time I open the game without having played in a while, it reminds me of a registration key I've never had to input anywhere (I bought it through Steam).

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 16, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It's probably some legacy key that isn't used anymore. Likely for forums registration or something like that. I have a key in Steam that I've never used and don't know what it's for.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I got a hiver game going and after making some bucks princehunting in Mongrel I went off to explore a bit. I found an ancient tower. You know how when you're outside a tower, the doorway is pitch black so you can't see inside?

:ughh:

Motherfucker.

I hired two teams of mercenaries when I left Mongrel and figured they would carry me a good while. Well, I've never seen two merc teams so utterly hosed through and far beyond all oblivion so fast as I just did. Good thing is Moo and Beep are fine. :unsmith: And my cow only had all its legs pasted so I have to carry it a month or something

e: and by that I meant Beep will carry it. It'll make you strong, Beep.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What the gently caress are those things?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

They hosed me up when I walked in there too. Had a group of like 15 and those fuckers were punching off limbs left and right. Then after everyone was down they just walked the out and left me all the loots.

Donkringel posted:

Is from a mod. I forgot which one but it comes in that blood and sand collection. It's like a mega boss and her entourage.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 22, 2021

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Donkringel posted:

Ah, I thought they were vanilla first but mist ghouls are from this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1877448247

They're pretty cool. Saw solo mist ghouls in fog islands too, whipping up hordes of fogmen. Never really knew who to cheer for.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's crazy how if you use mods, a little elbow grease in mod editor, and your imagination that this game is by far the best role-playing experience of any game period. It makes Arcanum look like Dragon Quest in terms of "role-playing".

I just played the game for fifteen hours this past weekend and it feels as engaging as playing a crafted story based RPG at times.

I wrote about my playthrough experience in the LP thread in case anyone cares.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well my save file got botched.

I started a new character in Strenn Desert.

Would anyone be interested in me doing a "let's play" esque story or would it be pointless since it would be impossible to top Leal?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 19, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Always down for kenshi LPs

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
:justpost:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
At the beginning of October 1815, and about an hour before sunset, a man travelling on foot entered the town of Mourn. The few people who happened to be at their windows or doorways observed him with a vague misgiving. It would have been hard to find a traveler of more disreputable aspect. He was a man in the prime of life, of medium height, broad-shouldered and robust, who might have been in his late forties. A cap with a low leather peak half hid his face, which was tanned by sun and weather and glistened with sweat. His coarse yellow shirt, fastened at the neck with a small metal clasp, gaped to reveal a hairy chest. He wore a scarf twisted like a rope, threadbare duck trousers frayed at one knee and in holes at the other, and a tattered grey jacket patched over one elbow with a piece of green cloth sewn on with string. On his back was a new and bulging soldier's knapsack and he carried a very large, knotted stick. His stockingless feet were in hob-nailed shoes and his beard was long. The dust and sweat of his day's journey added a touch of squalor to his down-at-heel appearance. His head was shorn but stubby, having evidently not been shaved for some days.

Suddenly, the villagers cried out in panic as a horde of beak things broke through the thin line of defenders at the gate. The traveler, slow to react to this unfortunate event, failed to avoid the pendulum head of a beak thing which cleanly severed his right leg from his body. The severed leg landed at the feet of his own bonedog companion, who snatched it up and jubilantly began to run in circles. As his blood and consciousness slipped away, the traveler saw a slaver with a bandage kneel over him.

"Welcome to Kenshi, motherfucker" the slaver whispered in his ear and clamped the manacles around his ankles.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Plot hole. He only has one ankle for the slaver to clamp manacles on, unless he retrieved it from the bonedog.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Being manacled to your own severed leg *would* make it harder to escape, I suppose.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'll be posting Chapter 1 of my Let's Play soon. I tried to make it as non-anime as possible but my character already carries around a giant sword and is grouped up with two waifus.

This would be great to me if it didn't guarantee that your captives wouldn't always "team up" with you. Like if it was based on RNG whether they'd join up, refuse to no matter what, or initially agree than run away or attack you as soon as you release them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

My Let's Play thread is up for people who care.

Feel free to read it and make fun of me and my terrible writing.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just got this game and after playing for a few hours and having characters die. I got to a point where I could build a posse. I'm out by the hub mining copper and getting my squad's asses handed to them by hungry bandits, bonedogs, and stiff breezes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's good. Getting their toughness stats up.

Any fight you survive is a good fight.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I haven't played in about a year or so. Last play through I built a full on mega base and made a literal 40 man army with probably 15 base farmers supporting the army and to take on the holy Nation face to face which I did defeat all with 0 mods. After that I felt.cool and good.

I'm getting that kenshi itch again but am wondering if anyone has any mods they'd recommend?

Also building a full personal faction is awesome for all.who haven't done it. Building your own fortress and repelling wrath of gods and then essentially laying seige to the holy nation was dope as hell. The final battle was nuts. Most of my dudes were around level 40 and probably 15 of them died capturing the phenix

Correction. I had a few QOL mods like increased recruitment

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 1, 2021

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

chainchompz posted:

Just got this game and after playing for a few hours and having characters die. I got to a point where I could build a posse. I'm out by the hub mining copper and getting my squad's asses handed to them by hungry bandits, bonedogs, and stiff breezes.

Just a note, I liked Squin better for that b/c the gate guards are better to run to for safety and backup when a roving band of bandits walks by your miners. Take the beatings that you can, b/c more toughness = damage reduction. You will also slowly get better at combat.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

moroboshi posted:

Just a note, I liked Squin better for that b/c the gate guards are better to run to for safety and backup when a roving band of bandits walks by your miners. Take the beatings that you can, b/c more toughness = damage reduction. You will also slowly get better at combat.

It's interesting how this game punishes you for sucking but then it rewards you for still trying. Reminds me of dwarf fortress in terms of difficulty being fun.

I was avoiding spoilery stuff but when I died for the fourth time I looked up early game helpful stuff and Squin is the place that came highly recommended. I kinda already fixed up a few spots in the Hub though and have been using it as my initial home base. One thing I noticed is that if I dig for copper by the Hub and then haul it to Squin or the Stack it is worth more than at the Hub.

I also picked up a bonedog pup which is pretty underpowered so far but I imagine it'll be a lil' death machine later. Probably should have gotten a pack animal, too.

For now I think five companions and one bonedog is plenty to juggle for mining, feeding, and training up.

I reckon once I've got melee attack/defense up to 15-20 on all of them I'll start exploring more than my immediate area.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 2, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'm getting that kenshi itch again but am wondering if anyone has any mods they'd recommend?

This list is likely out of date but you still get the kind of things I appreciated in mods.

Zesty posted:

Here's a bunch of mods I used. Don't blindly add things. Read things through. Some things I posted are not compatible with some things McSlaughter posted. Living World, Reactive World, and Genesis seem like huge sweeping changes that would not be compatible with each other.

Quality of Life
256 Recruitment Limit
Faster Bed Healing
Copper Ore Drills
shops have more items +
Minor Faction Pacifiers
More Plastic Surgeons
Recruitable Prisoners - with dialogue

More Options
Peeler Machine
Storage Plus
Expanded Craftable Weapons v2.1
Animal Traders
Moisture Farming
Rations & More
Defensive Gates 10x HP & 2x gate repair speed.
Little Camp Mod
Simple Camping Extras

Pretty poo poo Up
Dark UI
Nice Map [Zones + Zone names + Roads]
Animation Overhaul Mod - Crafting
Better Crop Fences
Race Blood
Interior (and Exterior) Design
KenshICONS
Loading Screens
Crucifixion

More Exciting World
Living World
Enhanced Shopping Economy
Taxman/Tribute/Prayer Relations+
Cannibals Expanded
Shrieking Bandits Expanded
Hives Expanded
Faction Caravans
Dialogue Expansion Project
Let's Talk
More Names!
Relatable Bandits

Dummies (cheaty, but gently caress it)
Advanced training dummies
Sparring Mats - Basic Training for Melee Defense & Martial Arts
Weight Bench - Strength Training
Wooden Dexterity Training Dummy (Animated)

Fix Broken poo poo
World State Checker
No Cut Efficiency
Fixing Clipping Issues
Free the Hair

From Babe Magnet:
just in case you weren't aware I actually made NCE patches for Hivers/Shrieking/Cannibals:

Shrieking Bandits
Cannibal
Hives

I had an itch a few months ago and played a bit. These are the mods I'm currently subscribed to. I don't like changing to core experience TOO much, so it's mostly QOL stuff.

Animation Overhaul Mod - Crafting
Copper Ore Drills
Dark UI
Faster Bed Healing
Fixing Clipping Issues
Free the Hair
Interior (and Exterior) Design
Kenshi: Genesis
-Genesis trade enhanced
Let's Talk
Loading Screens
Moisture Farming
More Names!
More Plastic Surgeons
No Cut Efficiency
Peeler Machine
Race Blood
Rations & More
Recruitable Prisoners - with dialogue (pls read description)
Relatable Bandits
Storage Plus
Taxman/Tribute/Prayer Relations+
World State Checker

Genesis is the big one there. But I also really like Relations+.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sparring Partners is great.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

chainchompz posted:

For now I think five companions and one bonedog is plenty to juggle for mining, feeding, and training up.

when you get the whole "running away sooner" thing a little bit mastered, consider hanging around in Vain right next door, which has clusters of copper nodes, many vendors, and huge hordes of friendly hive people who will marvel and gawk at your incredible feet

also immense amounts of meat and leather and if you are sneaky, beak thing nests with eggs that sell for 6250 cats each

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

when you get the whole "running away sooner" thing a little bit mastered, consider hanging around in Vain right next door, which has clusters of copper nodes, many vendors, and huge hordes of friendly hive people who will marvel and gawk at your incredible feet

also immense amounts of meat and leather and if you are sneaky, beak thing nests with eggs that sell for 6250 cats each

I always found it strange how "peaceful" the West Central Coast is, especially with the popular modded content. The Fog Islands seem to act as a giant wall to keep the assholes from the North and East out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

chainchompz posted:

I also picked up a bonedog pup which is pretty underpowered so far but I imagine it'll be a lil' death machine later.

Bone dogs are weird - they can’t dodge or defend themselves, but they’ll hit like a truck once they’re grown up. Their skills are under a massive penalty early on, which means they’ll level up incredibly quickly as a pup, but you won’t see the progress until they’re older. Make sure you have them fight a lot while they’re young!