Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
my favorite trailers are for comedy movies that put ~all~ the funny stuff in the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
For a lot of people it's hard to tell the the low from the high
because even the bad works are made by people who are good at their execution of art.

They know how to connect with that lizard brain.
They understand the rhythm of stories, and cinematography, how people react to facial expressions and body poses

Then just hit those brain neurons with a sledge hammer.

Until the Algorithm took over, the smartest people in the world were probably advertisers / commercial makers.
Insert your madman reference.

Use all the tricks of high art with a huge budget to get you to buy Body Deodorant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYWb7S503-c

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:45 on May 28, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I still say when it comes to movie fans, people who enjoy 80s schlock horror are the most tolerable bunch. Doesn't matter if it's critically panned! It's fun and it's got funny dialoague!

ive been watching fuckloads of awful 30 year old b horror movies but then i watched ghoulies II and it finally broke me and i cant anymore for a little while

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Farm Frenzy posted:

ive been watching fuckloads of awful 30 year old b horror movies but then i watched ghoulies II and it finally broke me and i cant anymore for a little while

What the hell? That's like the best Ghoulies.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

vyelkin posted:

i blame grade inflation in american universities for making people think the only acceptable score for a video game is 9/10

i saw something a while back where an IGN reviewer said that they mostly give scores of 7+ because IGN doesnt review the sort of game that would score lower. so like the entire bottom 5/10 is just there if a game is completely technically hosed or unfinished

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Farm Frenzy posted:

i saw something a while back where an IGN reviewer said that they mostly give scores of 7+ because IGN doesnt review the sort of game that would score lower. so like the entire bottom 5/10 is just there if a game is completely technically hosed or unfinished

I saw a 3 once but it was for like a completely broken indie horror game that could be finished in under 30 minutes.

I mean that is fitting for a 3. Maybe?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

What the hell? That's like the best Ghoulies.

Ghoulies 2 is the closest to being a functional movie, for sure. Ghoulies 1 is dull and meandering and completely useless, Ghoulies 3 is lovely horror-comedy but at least conceptually weird enough to be interesting, Ghoulies 4 is as close to nothing as a movie can be and I hate it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

trailers are loving garbage

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sultry, smoky female voice, heavy on the reverb some body once told me THIS SUMMER the world is gonna roll me

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Blood Boils posted:

Smh at all the 'high vs low art' and 'it doesn't mean anything' platitudes, in the lefty poo poo posting forum of all places

shameful stuff

if superhero movie fans were just honest about liking expensive toy commercials more than actual movies, things would be a lot less annoying overall imo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Blood Boils posted:

Smh at all the 'high vs low art' and 'it doesn't mean anything' platitudes, in the lefty poo poo posting forum of all places

shameful stuff

We haven't even gone Full Adorno yet

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

if superhero movie fans were just honest about liking expensive toy commercials more than actual movies, things would be a lot less annoying overall imo

It's a lot healthier for the brain to just like something because it entertained you instead of having to make yourself justify it by measuring it to other things.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

StashAugustine posted:

We haven't even gone Full Adorno yet

[ominous distant jazz noises intensify]

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Stravinsky is better the Schoenberg.
Schoenberg is still drat good and foundational to new voices.

Schoenberg's authenticity is a dada wall.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Ghoulies 2 is the closest to being a functional movie, for sure. Ghoulies 1 is dull and meandering and completely useless, Ghoulies 3 is lovely horror-comedy but at least conceptually weird enough to be interesting, Ghoulies 4 is as close to nothing as a movie can be and I hate it.

yes it was the realisation that i had watched the best ghoulies movie that did it to me

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GarlicCorgi/status/1398047565401280513?s=20

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

drat, when did adam friedland get jacked

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Steroids ftw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

the best marvel movie is thor ragnarok and it would have been ten times better if a year before it came out the advertising didn't give away what was clearly intended to be the movie's big twist moment

supermechagodzilla has argued that between king of the monsters and godzilla versus kong theres enough plot for one good monster movie and notes that combining the two could among other things have the big storm in king of the monsters destroy kongs island instead of clumsily having that important plot point happen offscreen without explanation

just sitting here thinking how apeshit people would have gone for kong to pop up unannounced in king of the monsters really sucks that you cant do twists like that anymore because were so oversaturated with media hype

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm about to watch the lighthouse with no spoilers :smugdon:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i'm about to watch the lighthouse with no spoilers :smugdon:

turns out the real lighthouse was the friendships the main character forged along the way

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nooo gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm also downloading terminator 2 because every scene is perfect and it's been like a decade since i last saw it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i'm also downloading terminator 2 because every scene is perfect and it's been like a decade since i last saw it

turns out the real terminator was the friends edward furlong made along the way

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
IGN gave god hand a 3.0/10 , that ruled

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
man, hollywood really destroyed kumail

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

IGN gave god hand a 3.0/10 , that ruled

I don't think bad reviews have ever been insightful into a game since Deadly Premonition, the most polarized game of all time.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I can't wait to see which stand up comic they force to take steroids next!

...maybe Patton Oswalt?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Reading novels ....errrereaahhaaaajrpgsrrrrahfulata s
After reading Wittgenstein and getting deep into James Joyce, most novels just look sloppy.

Well, yeah... Joyce and Gaddis and Pynchon and the like really raised the bar for what you can do with the written word. I'd rather read DFW than most other authors.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

scorcese's (anodyne, tame) comments really revealed some insecurities of the marvel enjoyers (or at least their most vocal supporters/media freaks)....... would have been a good opportunity for some reflection, but alas

That's a thing I've noticed a lot with liberals right now, that you can't just say "Whatever, you do you", but you must enjoy and celebrate and acknowledge their choices as the correct and moral and good ones.

This, basically (apologies for video quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgUjUTRoWZY

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/TURBO_VIRGIN_01/status/1398048746873704451

incredible lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lmao

what a faustian bargain. you get rich, famous, completely jacked, but your face is all mutated now and you can't ever go back.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

man, hollywood really destroyed kumail

yeah I wish he was uglier so he'd still be a standup, he was one of my favs around 2010 and I figured him for being like Bill Burr or John Mulaney tier in terms of sales/audience size

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

yeah I wish he was uglier so he'd still be a standup, he was one of my favs around 2010 and I figured him for being like Bill Burr or John Mulaney tier in terms of sales/audience size

he could still do it. and the idea of a guy who looks like that doing stand up like he's a regular guy is very funny to me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well first off all people who get buff indubitably become less funny, and second I'd be surprised if he's done more than a 5-10 minute set since 2017 so he's probably got no jokes

e: but if he laid off the dianabol and started getting up every night yeah he could turn it around

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

He was more handsome then. He is uglier now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

He was more handsome then. He is uglier now.

yeah but the initial handsomeness is what led him to becoming a full time actor

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
stand up is a lovely business so yeah of course he wants to be an actor, but what is the market for this look? this has to be body dysmorphia.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jim Carrey: got buff, less funny
Fat Kid From Superbad: lost like 100+ pounds, less funny (regained funny levels when he got fat again)
Dave Chappelle: got buff, less funny
Chris Pratt: got buff, way less funny

if you started out buff or nearly-buff (Will Smith, Kevin Hart) adding a bit more muscle doesn't seem to diminish your comedy abilities

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

stand up is a lovely business so yeah of course he wants to be an actor, but what is the market for this look? this has to be body dysmorphia.

it's cape movie poo poo. they set you up with a trainer and pump you fulla drugs so you end up looking like a super hero. he's doing a Marvel thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

uber_stoat posted:

it's cape movie poo poo. they set you up with a trainer and pump you fulla drugs so you end up looking like a super hero. he's doing a Marvel thing.

that's finished tho. but i guess they bring you back every other movie.

that movie looks like poo poo, by the way