Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
ShB feels like it did a complete 180 on how players feel about the writing of Matsuno and Yoko Taro. Now Matsuno is good and Taro is bad.

Obviously we need Taro to write EW’s relic grind to make up for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I see through Matsuno's plan - he can't get another Ivalice game made so he's slowly worming it into FFXIV until it becomes an official Ivalice title.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

thetoughestbean posted:

ShB feels like it did a complete 180 on how players feel about the writing of Matsuno and Yoko Taro. Now Matsuno is good and Taro is bad.

Obviously we need Taro to write EW’s relic grind to make up for it

I don't think Taro's writing is bad, they just didn't let him go full Taro and it wasn't what we wanted. We wanted hosed up and depressing and got mostly a straight forward hero tale with celebrity guest stars 2B and 9S.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

stev posted:

I see through Matsuno's plan - he can't get another Ivalice game made so he's slowly worming it into FFXIV until it becomes an official Ivalice title.

I actually like 14's version of Ivalice because it's a little more conventionally heroic and doesn't have the weird-rear end reverse chronological order apocalypse looming over it?

Eimi posted:

I don't think Taro's writing is bad, they just didn't let him go full Taro and it wasn't what we wanted. We wanted hosed up and depressing and got mostly a straight forward hero tale with celebrity guest stars 2B and 9S.

The weird thing is that it would actually be really interesting spending time with those two even in a conventional narrative. See what 9S and 2B think about being suddenly around a world full of human-like beings!

We just don't get to for some reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't want full Yoko Taro in ffxiv but also the story we did was extremely boring to me, so even I'm not happy with leashed Taro and they probably should have just unleashed him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If Ivalice didn't have so many words, I'd consider it better than Yorha but they're about equal to me, I liked both fine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just can’t get into the Bozja story. I wish I found it more engaging. I just have found it incredibly loving boring. Granted, I’m not too deep in - I’m at the stage where I need to do CLL. So far, I find myself more bored than anything else.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

We got plenty of yoko taro stuff, it was just focused around the dwarves rather than the sexy cameobots

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

We got plenty of yoko taro stuff, it was just focused around the dwarves rather than the sexy cameobots

The dwarf stuff is just really surface level though. A village of dickheads act like dickheads and nothing really comes of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

stev posted:

The dwarf stuff is just really surface level though. A village of dickheads act like dickheads and nothing really comes of it.

I don't know how that's the read you got on it. What did you want to come of it?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That Yoko Taro got us again

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Mordiceius posted:

I just can’t get into the Bozja story. I wish I found it more engaging. I just have found it incredibly loving boring. Granted, I’m not too deep in - I’m at the stage where I need to do CLL. So far, I find myself more bored than anything else.

that's like barely into the story tbh? but if you're not jiving with it, that's fine

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Man, that last choice in Bozja is heavy. I had to think about it for a while before making my decision.

She doesn't have the right to ask that of me. I don't think anyone does.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

stev posted:

I’ve never played a Yoko game, but I read an interview which got at his interest in deconstructing and subverting RPG conventions. That in turn had me thinking is that one way to view the events of Dark Automata is as the starter village for the Anogg RPG. You have a special but misunderstood child, with a dark secret in her past, who is one day confronted by a villain who destroys her home village. Rising from that tragedy, she goes off on a great adventure, never to return.

The characters all fit into fairly well-worn stereotypes in that model. Even the WoL is the overpowered first act guest who carries you through the starter fights (or, more relevantly to FFXIV, the random acquaintance who always happens to be nearby to help when the raid starts).

And then the epilogue is really about : what exactly happens to the starter village NPCs when they’ve played their part? For most of the village, the answer is pretty much nothing. It reverts back to the status quo, playing their old NPC roles, because the starter village exists to be stagnant and irrelevant. The exception is Konogg, who (depending on how you want to view the ending), either plays the Lucca/Chrono Trigger role of the childhood friend who catches up later, or comes to an end to drive home the complete abandonment of home by Anogg.

It’s all hideous over reading of the plot, of course, but I’m pretty sure that’s the point of Nier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chocobo posted:

Always spare fem Roe, they're an endangered species. If it were a Lala or Mi'quote she'd have an axe through her skull before the question was even asked.

Rhonne posted:

Same, also the fact that she looked almost exactly like my character(but with a different hairstyle/hair color) made me really not want to see her die.

the way people talk about female roes is extremely sexist and weird. like imagine this post but reversed with 'kill female roe because theyre disgusting, spare miqote' or whatever. its gross!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/rumminov/status/1397703980617195525

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That reminds me how funny the scene was where the moon came out from behind the clouds and everyone just stared at the moon for a good long while for no reason while fancy music played

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i mean i'd stare at a moon that bright too

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was really expecting some big momentous thing to happen right then, so it was pretty funny when the credits started rolling instead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

wizardofloneliness posted:

I was really expecting some big momentous thing to happen right then, so it was pretty funny when the credits started rolling instead.

Yeah same I expected something to happen to make everyone go "holy poo poo we gotta go to the moon" but nope

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s your favorite attack name in Bozja, mine’s “Crustal Dynamics”

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

i mean i'd stare at a moon that bright too

Yeah if it was completely overcast and then the clouds parted directly over my head and the giant rear end moon looking like it was 20 seconds from entering the atmosphere appeared I think I'd stare too

Dedekind posted:

I’ve never played a Yoko game, but I read an interview which got at his interest in deconstructing and subverting RPG conventions. That in turn had me thinking is that one way to view the events of Dark Automata is as the starter village for the Anogg RPG. You have a special but misunderstood child, with a dark secret in her past, who is one day confronted by a villain who destroys her home village. Rising from that tragedy, she goes off on a great adventure, never to return.

The characters all fit into fairly well-worn stereotypes in that model. Even the WoL is the overpowered first act guest who carries you through the starter fights (or, more relevantly to FFXIV, the random acquaintance who always happens to be nearby to help when the raid starts).

And then the epilogue is really about : what exactly happens to the starter village NPCs when they’ve played their part? For most of the village, the answer is pretty much nothing. It reverts back to the status quo, playing their old NPC roles, because the starter village exists to be stagnant and irrelevant. The exception is Konogg, who (depending on how you want to view the ending), either plays the Lucca/Chrono Trigger role of the childhood friend who catches up later, or comes to an end to drive home the complete abandonment of home by Anogg.

It’s all hideous over reading of the plot, of course, but I’m pretty sure that’s the point of Nier.

I mentioned this in the other thread but I think they're supposed to be (NieR: Replicant/Automata) analogous to Devola and Popola, but they get the happy-ish ending of being reunited as androids/machines/whatever the gently caress they are in the end instead of dying in shame like all the Devola and Popola units do (though I like your interpretation too)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Endorph posted:

the way people talk about female roes is extremely sexist and weird. like imagine this post but reversed with 'kill female roe because theyre disgusting, spare miqote' or whatever. its gross!

also hosed up that "femroe" is the community consensus and not "roegadame"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mazed posted:

also hosed up that "femroe" is the community consensus and not "roegadame"

I saw some people try to use “femhroths” instead of “hrothgals” and I was, frankly, disgusted

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something that has struck me about the first major Zadnor choice, as I've read people's longer justifications, is that we're overthinking this to such an extent that we'll probably be disappointed when that choice somehow becomes relevant. I personally chose execution but for purely utilitarian reasons based on the Resistance's current position (since she'll be undoubtedly judged guilty anyway, and right now independence still isn't assured, it's best not to risk a revolt by people who want swift justice); that, or putting the blame on Gabranth to make him think about the Bozjan state's problems that caused her... we've talked ourselves into very specific corners, so we'll probably just be disappointed when the game takes a much more direct road.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I chose not to execute the two remaining Crystal Brave conspirators because I specifically wanted to sit down in front of their prison cell eating spicy dodo wings and pelt them with the bones for hours on end.

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that later choices of a similar nature yield equally unsatisfactory results.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Endorph posted:

That's a weird take, they are statistically the least played race/gender combination by a significant margin, and under-represented in the story as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, some people get really, really weird with Roegadyn women. A minority, granted, but the way they're obsessed over, or dare I say fetishized, go well beyond any other combination.

At least in public. I don't know what lala or hrothgar people are into, but roe fans just let it out.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The depravity will only deepen when Hrothgals enter the scene.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I initially fantasiad to lalafell because I got too many creepy /tells from people when I was au'ra and roe. People are absolutely really weird about roe women, I don't want people sending me PMs about stepping on them.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's a little strange how often statements adjacent to "kill all lalafells" gets a pass, but I'm pretty sure they're just jealous

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vitamean posted:

it's a little strange how often statements adjacent to "kill all lalafells" gets a pass, but I'm pretty sure they're just jealous

I think it’s kind of fun to play up Lalafell as incredibly suspicious because they’re small and cute but some people really take it too far

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Pagaga, the lalafell beastmaster, seems to have made a fast impression.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

I've seem some real eyebrow raising poo poo about Xaela and Mooncats from time to time too

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Somehow I never been creeped on since fantasiaing from Swolelander to Catgirl.

Is it because I'm a suncat? Or because I tend to wear clothes that don't show much skin? :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I went from Duskwright to FEmroe for the longest time and had to stop being afk in Limsa for too long because I got a couple dozens of tells asking me about poo poo along the lines of whether or not I had a big girl dick or was interested in Futa RP (which was extra off putting at the time I was still a closeted trans woman).

They stopped bothering when I was a HIghlady and I have not spent significant time in non-guildhouse zones since I became a rabbit.

Rogadames bring out the absolute freaks DMing you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you're gonna idle in Limsa, do it up in the Drowning Wench. Not in the plaza where all the crazies sit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mazed posted:

I chose not to execute the two remaining Crystal Brave conspirators because I specifically wanted to sit down in front of their prison cell eating spicy dodo wings and pelt them with the bones for hours on end.

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that later choices of a similar nature yield equally unsatisfactory results.

I was annoyed you had to judge them as a pair. We got that cutscene where one was having regrets, possibly could move toward atonement, but the potato is irredeemable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How Wonderful! posted:

I initially fantasiad to lalafell because I got too many creepy /tells from people when I was au'ra and roe. People are absolutely really weird about roe women, I don't want people sending me PMs about stepping on them.

I'm glad I had two fantasias (one from MSQ, one from something back before I first quit or in the interim, I had it when I came back) because my creepy encounters went up when I changed INTO a Lala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Rogadames bring out the absolute freaks DMing you.

I have gotten two weird Says and no tells so it sounds like I've had it lucky