Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArielCohen37/status/1397959572388782086?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
It's funny, the one place I go that still requires masks and yet I would feel the most comfortable going maskless is my workplace. Everywhere else feels uncomfortable and like I'm exposed if I think about going in maskless.

There's at least one wackadoodle in the department leaving Dr. mercola printouts on the break room table, but I helped a lot of people in my department bad with computers book and find doses. If I had to guess, probably 90% of my department has been fully vaccinated.

We work with vulnerable populations (sector of government, not healthcare) so it makes sense that most of us are aware our clients are less likely to be vaccinated and more at risk if they were to contract covid. The other departments, gently caress them, I don't trust them.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Lmao this owns

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

learnincurve posted:

U.K. is beginning to see a rise in deaths and hospitalisations amongst the unvaccinated elderly due to the Indian variant. Only 2% of hospitalisations are fully vaccinated.

Current mood of entire country is incredibly pissed off at all the dreadful old plague enthusiasts, we tanked our economy and employment figures for this gaggle of absolute shits and now there is no way we can think about dropping any more measures until the kids are vaccinated in case their dreadful gammon anti-vax grandad gives them the Indian variant.

The latest info from public health England says that astrazenica is around 60% effective against the Indian variant after two shots and around 33% effective after the first. The latest data also shows its much more transmissible than the Kent variant. A lot of the UK population still aren't fully vaccinated. If the Indian variant starts spreading like wildfire, that's still a large amount of people not fully protected and could still result in another big wave.

Given that, don't you think it's wise to hold for a few weeks for a bit more data before declaring mission accomplished, pandemic over?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

learnincurve posted:

U.K. is beginning to see a rise in deaths and hospitalisations amongst the unvaccinated elderly due to the Indian variant. Only 2% of hospitalisations are fully vaccinated.

Current mood of entire country is incredibly pissed off at all the dreadful old plague enthusiasts, we tanked our economy and employment figures for this gaggle of absolute shits and now there is no way we can think about dropping any more measures until the kids are vaccinated in case their dreadful gammon anti-vax grandad gives them the Indian variant.

Only 34% are fully vaccinated at the moment, so that is cause of concern. Elderly also seem to be the minority of hospitalisations based on the success of the vaccines, more under 65s hospitalised than over 65s https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995456102342659/photo/1

So, I think it's not fair to blame this on just stubborn unvaccinated old people. We haven't given out enough double doses (compared to Israels circa 55% target) and the new variant is raising the stakes of where we need to be to starve off a third wave.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Something the Feds could have addressed to actually increase vaccination numbers instead of just doing some weird dramatic mid-week exploding of mask regulations: mandate PTO for post-vaccination side-effects.

This poo poo isn't rocket science. AAAAAAAAAGH!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/27/time-off-vaccine-workers/

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I’m am now vax.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Poker Party posted:

I’m am now vax.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Something the Feds could have addressed to actually increase vaccination numbers instead of just doing some weird dramatic mid-week exploding of mask regulations: mandate PTO for post-vaccination side-effects.

This poo poo isn't rocket science. AAAAAAAAAGH!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/27/time-off-vaccine-workers/

I'm not sure, but this sounds like something that would have to go through Congress. Then the senate and yeah Republicans aren't going to allow anything even slightly good for workers even if it is for the greater good of the country.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fallom posted:

That threat wasn’t real to people

Maybe next time the media can put the work in to get releases to show the masses of people suffocating to death. I think I saw the same 30 second footage of a single ICU room for 9 months of last year. A single interview of a woman on oxygen whose daughter had just died.

Mask wearing was also treated like a joke among interviewees all over the media, and anchors, and everybody else for months and months. Anchors sat a few feet apart and chatted about stuff without wearing masks. Personalities on tv did the same. People ripped their masks off all the time on tv to talk. Trump did not help. All the while, hundreds of thousands of people died.

If you'd had the television people using masks and stopping "FUN FISHING FOR EVERYBODY THIS WEEKEND ON THE LAKE!" with people unmasked and laughing and the old normal as early as last May, it would've been completely different.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you'd had the television people using masks and stopping "FUN FISHING FOR EVERYBODY THIS WEEKEND ON THE LAKE!" with people unmasked and laughing and the old normal as early as last May, it would've been completely different.

The worrying about stuff outdoors was a pretty big misstep though, it was way safer than it was portrayed as being. The ventilation and UV made spread far, far lower than indoor stuff could ever be and it would have been a good alternative for people over riskier options, there’s been a few articles about it I’ll try to dig up.

E:not the one I wanted but have the WaPo one for now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/13/covid-outside-safety/%3foutputType=amp

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 28, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Purgatory Glory posted:

Telling people they were entered into a draw to win a million dollars saw upticks. That pushes the population that stats don't register with. Too dumb to know that covid risk vs any fake vaccine risk cooked up, also too dumb to know they won't win the million bucks. I know of people that will get it once it is clear that travel is restricted if they don't. It's ridiculous, if I genuinely though the vaccine was gonna hurt me I wouldn't bend on it.what kind of character does someone have who puts themselves at a perceived risk because they want to travel?
They should do the lottery draw on live tv with the entire state population and if an unvaxed person wins they announce their name, say "sorry but you're disqualified", then draw again

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The worrying about stuff outdoors was a pretty big misstep though, it was way safer than it was portrayed as being. The ventilation and UV made spread far, far lower than indoor stuff could ever be and it would have been a good alternative for people over riskier options, there’s been a few articles about it I’ll try to dig up.

E:not the one I wanted but have the WaPo one for now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/13/covid-outside-safety/%3foutputType=amp

okay but publishing "everybody should go!" kind of stuff was loving stupid too

E: like, we should have probably cancelled the public fishing event that brought literally over 2,000 people out to the lake and there was 0 social distancing and nobody was wearing masks in May 2020. Not yelled about how great it was going to be all over the news so 2,000 people showed up.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

okay but publishing "everybody should go!" kind of stuff was loving stupid too

E: like, we should have probably cancelled the public fishing event that brought literally over 2,000 people out to the lake and there was 0 social distancing and nobody was wearing masks in May 2020. Not yelled about how great it was going to be all over the news so 2,000 people showed up.

Which event was this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShadowHawk posted:

They should do the lottery draw on live tv with the entire state population and if an unvaxed person wins they announce their name, say "sorry but you're disqualified", then draw again

This would be a good idea, but their database is probably incomplete and the person who was wrongly disqualified would sue, and then the person who won on the redraw would sue, and it would all be a big mess.

Better to not let people know if they lost because their name was never in the drawing or was there and simply wasn’t picked.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Platystemon posted:

This would be a good idea, but their database is probably incomplete and the person who was wrongly disqualified would sue, and then the person who won on the redraw would sue, and it would all be a big mess.

Better to not let people know if they lost because their name was never in the drawing or was there and simply wasn’t picked.
Still there's gotta be a way to exploit loss aversion somehow. Like maybe not even announce the name of the loser - just get everyone afraid that it might be them who threw away a million bucks by not getting their shot

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

That Hbomberguy episode is real good. I had no idea the amount of poo poo rear end stupidity is based on 8 parents and 1 “doctor” assuming its from a vaccine.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My county and 3 of the 5 neighboring counties are all over 50% vaxxed. The other 2 will hopefully reach 50% in the next weekish.

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

That Hbomberguy episode is real good. I had no idea the amount of poo poo rear end stupidity is based on 8 parents and 1 “doctor” assuming its from a vaccine.

Yeah. I knew the early bits about how it was on way too small of a sample size and didn't use real evidence as much as feelings from the parents, but holy poo poo I didn't know all the other crazy stuff. The conflicts of interest are especially eye opening. I knew there were some, but I thought it was like self interest in making an outlandish claim to sell books or something, not the nakedly transparent poo poo he did.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh my point was at the end there, we can’t drop any more measures till the kids are vaccinated, if grandad didn’t want his vaccine then gently caress him, he should have been fully vaccinated a month ago. We should be offering it to those aged 12-18 right now if they are more susceptible to the Indian variant.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Yeh my point was at the end there, we can’t drop any more measures till the kids are vaccinated, if grandad didn’t want his vaccine then gently caress him, he should have been fully vaccinated a month ago. We should be offering it to those aged 12-18 right now if they are more susceptible to the Indian variant.

Can't vote, unimportant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell trump voters that the new secret plan for trump returning to office requires that 90% of adults be vaccinated first, the vaccine is the only way to block hillary clinton's cancel culture rays

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s the current uk hospitalisation rate and seriousness/ages vs like 3 weeks ago? Where can I find this?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I guess the vaccination program is starting to have an effect:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ah, the cat chart.

:powercatte:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Had my first dose of Pfizer on Wednesday (33, UK). No side effects except a dull pain at the injection site which has faded at this point. I did go home after the shot and sleep for 12 hours, but not sure if that was related. My little brother (30) has his lined up for next week, they seem to be working pretty fast.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

What’s the current uk hospitalisation rate and seriousness/ages vs like 3 weeks ago? Where can I find this?
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Issue we have is supply. Right now, we're only offering Pfizer/Moderna for under 40s, so for the early 30s that were opened up to in the last few weeks like myself, appointments available are mostly 40 miles away and about two weeks in advance. If you opened it up beyond 30 to 12 year olds, then appointments avaliable would be months in advance at the moment anyway. Delaying the doses for the 5/6% of over 65s who havent a second dose yet won't have any more effevt. We need more Pfizer than we currently have to get it done, or a longer time table for that to arrive and for as as many as people as possible to be dosed with both

Saying that, if we get the percentage of 1st/2nd doses to Israels percentages in the next few months, that may ne enough to start killing the cases naturally anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Only four more cases in Melbourne Australia today but dozens and dozens of new addresses have been added to the exposure site list, including this one where a person who later tested positive had been lining up at a vaxx hub to get the flu jab:

What lovely luck :(

The good news is that the outbreak has really shaken people out of the vaccine lethargy and jab numbers have soared and stayed way up:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

Lots of people I know have gotten their jab this week but a bunch of others are reporting that the appointment hotline is absolutely swamped and they just can't get through to book their vaxx even after hours and hours of sitting on the phone and having their calls repeatedly drop out

mr_jolly posted:

The latest info from public health England says that astrazenica is around 60% effective against the Indian variant after two shots and around 33% effective after the first. The latest data also shows its much more transmissible than the Kent variant. A lot of the UK population still aren't fully vaccinated. If the Indian variant starts spreading like wildfire, that's still a large amount of people not fully protected and could still result in another big wave.

Given that, don't you think it's wise to hold for a few weeks for a bit more data before declaring mission accomplished, pandemic over?

Here in Australia we're saving Pfizer for the under 50s and giving everyone 50+ AZ because of the clotting issue but the current outbreak in Melbourne is 100% India variant so I'm seeing a lot of older people showing vaxx hesitancy on social media because they'd really really prefer Pfizer and not AZ, which I guess is understandable. Again, some real lovely luck on how it's all unfolded. But 60% protection is still WAY better than 0% protection, the government really needs to start leaning on that messaging

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 28, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Only four more cases in Melbourne Australia today but dozens and dozens of new addresses have been added to the exposure site list, including this one where a person who later tested positive had been lining up at a vaxx hub to get the flu jab:

This has happened thousands of times in America. It’s just undocumented because the virus is everywhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tale as old as time

https://twitter.com/chrisvanderveen/status/1397928806443151368

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Some redneck pilot in my ex-wife's family was a COVID denier until recently. Their whole family has it now, and his wife has been hospitalized.

"Yeah, it's not just like the flu". Well no poo poo you idiot. Now get your asses immunized.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My mom is a huge denier. "As soon as people start getting those shots they'll die." Not because the first people to get it were 90+ or anything. Because the vaccine is cancer poison, ofc. It's revenge for Trump losing, I'm sure. Or whatever fox news told her to say to people.

Her and her boyfriend both got covid. They didn't die, and I'm pissed. She also still denies it, and got her vaccine like, immediately. She's not an essential worker or anything. She was pissed that she was basically forced to get the vaccine. She still denies covid is real.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sorry you probably had to grow up with that person but congrats on turning out different

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

I wish this could be condensed into one image and I'm not glad this guy died but people being aggressively idiotic reaping what they sow never fails to deliver.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wish this could be condensed into one image and I'm not glad this guy died but people being aggressively idiotic reaping what they sow never fails to deliver.

The guy had a bunch of neo-Nazi stuff on his IG so it's honestly probably for the best.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Vernii posted:

The guy had a bunch of neo-Nazi stuff on his IG so it's honestly probably for the best.

Okay, I take it back. Nazi lives don't matter.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm glad he died.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Wait, a white supremacist cop? No loving way, and he's a covid denier? Next you're gonna tell me he's a Trump supporter.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Wait, a white supremacist cop? No loving way, and he's a covid denier? Next you're gonna tell me he's a Trump supporter.

It's a good thing these guys know how to put their personal feelings aside and enforce the law justly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm sorry for his family because suffering should always be mourned but also absolutely gently caress that guy and everyone he hurt by infecting them because you know that gently caress infected shitloads.

E: The fishing thing was a local anecdote up at a lake in Appling, GA. It's just so dumb though. Every time there was anything going on locally these maskless talking heads encouraged everybody to go to it.