Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

I think I'd rather have the military service.

This orb gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Oh, it's just great being a young female in retail-type situations, yes indeed! Especially back in the Long Ago when we were just expected to tolerate (with a smile!) the sexual harassment and generally demeaning attitudes from customers and coworkers!

This short rant brought to you by all the women in the 1980s who started filing law suits.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My favorite part about being AFAB in retail was every old guy who would call me sweetheart and ask me for a hug or grab my rear end when I was loading their stuff into their cart.

Real good. Great even. I had a complete loving breakdown over the guy who came across my desk at me and put his entire body weight on me, and my manager at the time said "oh, he's harmless."

Is he?

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

"oh, he's harmless."

Is he?

God that poo poo is infuriating. "Just be professional!"

xcheopis

Not that this is a thing of the past, just that now we (mostly) have ways to fight back.

https://www.askamanager.org/2015/12/update-coworker-keeps-calling-me-baby-mama.html

cruft

Can we get back to poopin' on the clock or something, before I decide humanity just isn't worth my time and start taping aluminum foil to all the windows of the house

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My boss has made me run an email by him eight times so far today. An email I should not be sending because the prospect is already buying from another vendor, one much bigger than us, and they're buying a house brand from that vendor.

I'm not going to do this much longer.

Finger Prince

One of the side benefits of working from home that isn't often mentioned is being able to have an omelette for lunch.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like I literally do not know how to deal anymore.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

My boss has made me run an email by him eight times so far today. An email I should not be sending because the prospect is already buying from another vendor, one much bigger than us, and they're buying a house brand from that vendor.

I'm not going to do this much longer.

Micromanaging is the worst. Especially when it's over something you know is the wrong way

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Like I literally do not know how to deal anymore.

I know you're situation is worse than mine is at the moment, but I really feel you on this. Just having an owner tell you how to do something, even if you tell them it's the wrong way, with evidence, they just keep harping on it with more details. It's incredibly wearing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm just so close to leaving. I am tired of being treated as incompetent when I'm clearly not. I'm tired of my boss thinking I'm a literal child when I am thirty seven. I am tired driving 35 minutes one way at weird hours to sit in an office, as I have during the entire pandemic, next to a screaming baby.

This is such bullshit.

xcheopis

The person who is only in the office for two days a week - and not full days, either - does not get to dictate how things are done right now. We do things this way because we have had multiple conversations around being short-staffed and also people moving offices and also all the Covid work being done and you were not part of any of those conversations because you work from home, so just sit the gently caress down and shut the gently caress up god drat.

xcheopis

Vacation!

Escape From Noise

Boss just sent me a four page document to translate. It's like some description of a company in Australia that sells Japanese foods and other things? The format is weird and uses a lot of jargon I barely understand in English. Not sure what he wants from me.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Escape From Noise posted:

Boss just sent me a four page document to translate. It's like some description of a company in Australia that sells Japanese foods and other things? The format is weird and uses a lot of jargon I barely understand in English. Not sure what he wants from me.

Should ask in the GBS Aussie thread, sure they can translate their jargon into proper English.

Escape From Noise

Zil posted:

Should ask in the GBS Aussie thread, sure they can translate their jargon into proper English.

It's not Australian jargon. Just standard business jargon about sales and stuff

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Escape From Noise posted:

It's not Australian jargon. Just standard business jargon about sales and stuff

Ohhh, that makes more sense

cruft

I recommend you make up translation and then do what everyone has always done to me when translating something from Japanese: launch into a 5 minute lesson about 800 years of history in order on explain the cultural context of a single word.

Escape From Noise

I can't really translate something I don't understand. It's like a whole page with links copied as well. Does he want that translated as well? Also my Japanese isn't that good. I dunno. It's just dumb and frustrating.

cruft

I bet hamjobs could translate it for you. Maybe into a slide deck.

Escape From Noise

He just wanted very broad strokes. Okay. Bleh.

Escape From Noise

Owner is trying to push back on the fermentation schedule changes based on not understanding basic fermentation things. Going to try and head this off next meeting by explaining some things again, if I can't I really think I may quit and go back to my old company. I'm starting to think sitting around at home doing nothing would be better than this.

Finger Prince

+ switching to a compressed work week
- 6am start time
- double the workload

That last one is a doozy, but I know how my director operates. Prove things are unmanageable at current staffing, ie force failure, in order to justify increased staffing. It sucks being in the set up to fail group though.
On the plus side though, compressed work week opens up the opportunity of being able to move somewhere cheaper and more pleasant and just renting a room or cheap studio near work and commuting in for my shift.

Escape From Noise

Today we are having a meeting and Ive asked for time to make a quick presentation on a subject that is industry standard and considered a universal truth within the industry. The only person I need to convince of this is the owner. If this doesn't work I give up.

Also going to try and convince him to stop bottling from kegs and switch to sanke kegs because I am a masochist.

Escape From Noise

Made a fairly lovely off the cuff presentation about why we really need to increase fermentation times and go by measurements and sensory analysis instead of just times. Boss seemed to get it and said we will correct it. That's good, but I don't know if it'll stick. Coworker who's been here three years says he'll agree to changes and walk them back a few months later bases on some perceived issue. I've also experienced this a few times. I'm sticking around for now, but I'm leaving if he goes back to shortened fermentation times if my last place hasn't gotten their license by then. It's just so critical and basic. If I can't fix that issue actual, real improvement of the product and brand are impossible and no other improvements I make will matter.

Twenty Four

Achtane posted:

It should be mandatory that everyone put in a year of retail work.

This or the service industry, doesn't even have to be a year, but either way everyone would be so much nicer to each other.

Escape From Noise

Just checked my work schedule really quick to see if the restaurant would be open tomorrow to see whether or not bringing my own lunch would make sense. Pretty sure my schedule got changed again. This constantly shifting schedule makes zero sense for a brewery and I would argue actually makes things way more complicated.

My coworker is going to be putting in his notice either next month or the month after. I'm considering doing the same even if my last company doesn't have their license by then. I don't think I could do this poo poo without him. I got a bit of a break from it rehabbing my collarbone, but now that I'm back on a normal schedule that's just all over the place with lots of unpaid overtime...gently caress. I'm really leaning towards walking.

Finger Prince

Forgot about another fun aspect of office work, the loving savages that piss on the seat. Bonus points for not flushing.
And drink some loving water dude, that's loving gross.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Forgot about another fun aspect of office work, the loving savages that piss on the seat. Bonus points for not flushing.

No

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Teach boys to pee sitting down, y'all. I'll go to the grave saying this.

Escape From Noise

It's my toilet, I'll use it as I see fit!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Y'all have it easy. Trust me. I've seen some poo poo in work bathrooms.

Farecoal

There he go
I mentioned getting fired in the chat thread due to not wanting to use my own car for dog walking work without gas reimbursement (or at all tbh). It's a pet supply store and they hired me on as a sales associate. Then about two months in they started training me to do dog-walking, as their business was picking up again after a pandemic lull. They said I would do it "occasionally", then this week they had me scheduled for dog walking all day M-F. Apparently I wasn't good at talking to customers (they only said anything about this after I was fired) so they decided to switch my job around without telling me or bringing up any issues with my work at all so I could, I don't know, try to improve?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Farecoal posted:

I mentioned getting fired in the chat thread due to not wanting to use my own car for dog walking work without gas reimbursement (or at all tbh). It's a pet supply store and they hired me on as a sales associate. Then about two months in they started training me to do dog-walking, as their business was picking up again after a pandemic lull. They said I would do it "occasionally", then this week they had me scheduled for dog walking all day M-F. Apparently I wasn't good at talking to customers (they only said anything about this after I was fired) so they decided to switch my job around without telling me or bringing up any issues with my work at all so I could, I don't know, try to improve?

Sounds like you're fine at communicating with the customer and they're bad at communicating anything at all in general.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm on a hell conference call and my coworker will not stop loudly complaining in the background. It's embarrassing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

She just cackled and slammed the door.

I'm going to fire her if she does not loving stop.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If the next 48 hours are like I think they're going to be I'm going to be blissfully unemployed because I'm loving angry.

Escape From Noise

God that sounds awful. I hope things work out for you! Bleh. Conference calllls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I just want one person to ever have any faith in me. Even myself.