Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

I don't have any advice on that, but it might also be worth asking in the Synths thread -- folks there might have some thoughts.

Good advice. Will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

petit choux posted:

LOL because she didn't want to reveal her checkered past :thejoke:

Can I appeal to this thread for advice? I'm looking at USB MIDI/DIN MIDI converters, sometimes known as USB MIDI hosts, and seeing three main products, Kenton, Camola aka DoReMIDI, and one other, the MIDIPlus. Anybody have experience with any of these? There are also some no-name and a few other brands.

I have a Kenton Thru-5 and have no complaints! I can’t compare it to other splitters as it’s the first one I’ve had; personally I went with that one because I didn’t want to work out whether my gear would provide enough phantom power for an unpowered splitter and worry about whether things I bought in the future would need something different. If you don’t have a lot of plugs to spare on your surge protector though it seems passive splitters work with most stuff.

Only other recommendation I have is that you might want to go for more splits than you think you’ll need. I almost immediately realized once I had control of multiple synths that I wanted MIDI control of some other gear as well for syncing and timed settings changes and wished I’d got the 12-way.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I have a Kenton Thru-5 and have no complaints! I can’t compare it to other splitters as it’s the first one I’ve had; personally I went with that one because I didn’t want to work out whether my gear would provide enough phantom power for an unpowered splitter and worry about whether things I bought in the future would need something different. If you don’t have a lot of plugs to spare on your surge protector though it seems passive splitters work with most stuff.

Only other recommendation I have is that you might want to go for more splits than you think you’ll need. I almost immediately realized once I had control of multiple synths that I wanted MIDI control of some other gear as well for syncing and timed settings changes and wished I’d got the 12-way.

I'm specifically referring to the Kenton USB MIDI Host. I may find the through 5 useful at some point but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the ref though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Melodicas are great fun. I've got two vintage Suzuki Melodions - I bought one on eBay, then my mum gave me the other after I told her about this, revealing she had one from before I was born. In a house full of various musical instruments, I'd never heard of or seen the drat thing for forty years.

See if she has any secret motor scooters lying around too.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

petit choux posted:

I'm specifically referring to the Kenton USB MIDI Host. I may find the through 5 useful at some point but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the ref though.

Ah sorry, didn’t read closely enough. I don’t have experience with that equipment but I’ll vouch for the brand in that I’ve had no problems and what I have is very solidly built, no wiggly ports and a metal case. Good luck with finding the right piece of gear for your setup!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Ah sorry, didn’t read closely enough. I don’t have experience with that equipment but I’ll vouch for the brand in that I’ve had no problems and what I have is very solidly built, no wiggly ports and a metal case. Good luck with finding the right piece of gear for your setup!

Yeah, I may well just go with the expensive one in hopes it has the best compatibility with the most gear. Hoping somebody can hep out here.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Picked up another Hondo Professional made in Japan copy of a Fender Lead because I don't have a two single coil version, and the price was right

Came with a bitchin' vintage case with the gold interior and an Ace strap with one awesome pin

Guitar will need electronics work, the selector switch is broken and only works for the neck pickup.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

petit choux posted:

LOL because she didn't want to reveal her checkered past :thejoke:

petit choux posted:

See if she has any secret motor scooters lying around too.

Ah gently caress. She can play trumpet and does have her motorbike license.

I hang my head in shame and shall never pick it up, pick it up, pick it up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I know I'm going to be ridiculed for this, but... once I got the idea in my head I couldn't resist. Lollars in my CE24.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, since you already had an American PRS, might as well lean all the way in.

Those tort covers look absolutely sick on that blue flame, good job. :swoon:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My stepson turns 15 in a week and a half and has been wanting to learn to play drums. Told him I needed to see him show some dedication if we're gonna drop $ on a kit, and he's been learning all he can about technique, rhythm theory, etc., and has been practicing rudiments for several months now. Next week this will be arriving:

Roland TD17-KV and a Pearl P1030R Eliminator pedal.

I'm looking forward to playing around with it myself...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Siivola posted:

Well, since you already had an American PRS, might as well lean all the way in.

Those tort covers look absolutely sick on that blue flame, good job. :swoon:

Yeah I figured might as well go all the way. The amber knobs look great too. Waiting on a gold tremolo arm to arrive and thinking of putting a black bridge in... But anyways it sounds amazing, stock was OK but these are so solid.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
bolt on and semi-hollow? that sounds like a good combo for a great guitar

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It's Les Paul day!

Early 80s Lotus L570, made by Samick in Korea. Damned nice set-neck LP Custom copy that originally came with DiMarzios. The logo is MoP, which is how Samick indicated DiMarzios, along with a "D" in the part # on the Hondo models. Now has an SD Phat Cat and Suhr Thornbucker. Replaced tailpiece, original brass nut, mini-toggle that's not hooked to anything anymore but was probably a coil tap. A tad under 10lbs. I have a nickel tailpiece to replace the gold one, thankfully.

And a project

Hondo Deluxe 737 from the early 80s. Logo removed, neck pickup doesn't work, pickups held in by one screw(but the second is present), output jack has a screwhook through thin plastic acting as the plate. One knob missing and replaced with a teeny little one. BUT is has its factory Grover tuners and that sweet cobra.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Just welcomed two reverb pedals to my chain (please ignore my cable management):

The Digiverb is loving great, it definitely deserves its cult reputation. The DR600 I'm not impressed with. Based on my experience with the SF300, I figured it would be a great clone of the RV-6 for a drastically reduced price, but actually it's just cheap. Who knew!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I miss my Digiverb dearly. Lots of great modes and tons of reverb in all of them. Bummer about the Behringer, but at least the SF is a good clone.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Cloning a reverb is significantly more difficult than cloning a fuzz, and copying and reusing the programming is actually prohibited by IP law. See: EHX taking down the original Mooer Tender Octaver.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what are you a cop, clone all the reverbs you want

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah I find it really odd how behringer made a Boss RV5 'clone' and a Line 6 Verbzilla 'clone' in terms of the faceplate settings but since they can't copy algorithms idk what they did there.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If they sound the same then it's very likely that Behringer stole the DSP. No idea who's behind Mooer, but Uli is probably a bigger and more litigious target. Also Boss/Line 6 may not care as much as EHX.

Just conjecture.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJZa8yCMCQ

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

A bunch of Behringer clones aren't actual, part-for-part clones. They'll make something that strongly resembles a well-known product, have the controls laid out the same, give it a name that alludes to the original, do their best to give it similar sound and functionality, etc.

They're more than happy to have customers believe they're clones, because at that point they've usually done enough on their end to keep from getting sued, and customers are then tasked with making a choice that weighs cost benefit against a debate on intellectual property on the assumption that the products are otherwise functionally identical.

They do straight up clone a bunch of stuff (analog circuits are really difficult to have IP rights to) and they definitely do push their luck legally (they have a lot of money to play chicken with and like to bully smaller companies), but they also have the resources to program a product in a way that makes it sound close enough to what they're going for without doing something as stupid as explicitly copy-pasting the code of the original like Mooer did.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
A band I used to play with picked up a Behringer X32 board at one point and it was absolutely awesome. Personal in ear mixes managed via our phones! It was dream setup for a situation where the lead singer is the sound guy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

beer gas canister posted:

A band I used to play with picked up a Behringer X32 board at one point and it was absolutely awesome. Personal in ear mixes managed via our phones! It was dream setup for a situation where the lead singer is the sound guy.

We use these boards at the church I play and run sound at, they're absolutely wonderful. There are a few little weird intricacies in terms of importing/exporting EQ presets. Other than that though, it's really nice to work with, especially for someone like me who has really only ever worked with older analog boards...

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

If they sound the same then it's very likely that Behringer stole the DSP. No idea who's behind Mooer, but Uli is probably a bigger and more litigious target. Also Boss/Line 6 may not care as much as EHX.

Just conjecture.

I notice that the line 6 clones are no longer available, and also that the Line 6 devs on the forums openly poo poo talk behringer all the time so I wonder if there was some C n D action there.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
New gear today -- Vox AC10C1 Limited Edition Two-Tone Combo:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

brushwad posted:

Vox makes beautiful amps. They're just miles ahead of everyone else in terms of looking classy. They also tend to sound good. Congratulations!

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, that’s a really great looking combo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

brushwad posted:

drat that is absolutely gorgeous. Excellent choice!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

brushwad posted:

Hell yeah that’s awesome. Vox ftw

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Once I have a power supply I am gonna test every tube in sight

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

widefault posted:

Once I have a power supply I am gonna test every tube in sight

*sighs*

*unzips pants*

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

*sighs*

*unzips pants*

I was gonna say no, not that kind of tube but you know what, just be yourself. Stick it right in there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

petit choux posted:

I was gonna say no, not that kind of tube but you know what, just be yourself. Stick it right in there.

You should probably get someone to help you make it a vacuum tube though :wink:

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Basic Poster posted:

I got to stop. I really do. I will. This is the last one.i can manage my GAS. I'm okay.

I'll be okay.

Fender American Professional II. SSS, oly white, maple, tremolo, v-mod pickups.

i just bought tahis..... TONE

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

BDA posted:

I bought a cheap Rhoads and have been bashing out Metallica riffs all day:

I've got a couple of these JS32 Jacksons now and they're surprisingly nice for the money, I'd definitely recommend them to anyone in the market for a budget metal guitar.
Now I just need to find a way to get the thing on a stand.

I'm a blues dad myself but I saw one of these at the store today.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I just bought a set of black bobbin’s special lollar pickups for my American original jazzmaster. Really stoked to try them?

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

brushwad posted:

They call it two tone but I think you’ll find more tones than that OP ;)

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Picked up a couple cheap "vintage" hippie straps.

Ending up with quite a bunch, but normally use a couple newish wide leather straps and an ancient pink polyester Ernie Ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

drat im jealous af of that Van Halen one. Amazing haul!