Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H5dSDUr34w

I typed notes for you all because I'm a nice fella.

Cody opens with how happy he is to get back on the road soon. The first question is about the "AEW Rampage", the new hour of television. He wants to use the show to get people "Off the bench", that the show will be used to tell storylines with these characters on TV that might not be involved heavily in stories on Dynamite. Izzy, the mascot for the 1996 Olympics then asks Cody about going into the match as the American Dream, what it means to him. Cody talks about how memorial day weekend was a good time to start this patriotic story. He says he'll be the american dream for one night only, and he's still the american nightmare.

Cody is asked about Ogogo's potential. Cody talks about how Ogogo is in his mind AEW's very first developmental wrestler, DDP introduced the two, and Cody was instrumental in his signing. Sean Ross Sapp asks about the stupid rumors that the EVPs all hate each other, of course he does. "Is it true?!" Cody says the EVPs all talk often and support each other's projects, Tony Khan is the boss and they are all good, no fighting. Sean Ross Sapp makes a cringy joke that gets no reaction about "Friendship" being "sexy". Some guy asks about Cody's "Focus group" for his patriotic promo. Cody says he used the wrong term, didn't know what focus group actually meant and shouldn't have used that term. What he meant was he works on his promos hard, voice memos them and sends them to veterans and colleagues for their take on it and advice which is what he was really referring to. He says watching the Rock and Brian Gerwertz work together really inspired him in his own promo writing.

He talks about the nightmare factory, mostly just students there he is high on. He talks about how amped everyone is to be performing for a crowd, he says he wouldn't be surprised if the crowd being back in full force changes some plans as they're now able to really play off the crowd and have that back and forth that's been missing. He is asked about Rampage and says it's not a secondary show, it's more like the TNT title to AEW World Heavyweight, both are going to be significant. He talks about wanting the TNT Specials to be like Clash of the Champions and be the converging of stories and very significant shows as that's what they're being paid a lot of money for. Cody talks about if the company is living up to his vision for it two years ago. He talks about being a pessimist, growing up hearing a lot of plans in a wrestling family not work out but he is amazed at how quickly they are expanding. He says he and Tony and the EVPs all have different visions and he thinks that works best for the company and keeps things fluid and evolving. His personal vision he feels has been "truly respected" and he's been happy with how things have gone thus far.

He talks more about touring, he says states that allow full capacity they will be at full capacity, in other states it will be a percentage, whatever is allowed. [my note: I imagine they'll focus on full capacity states either way]. He says "I am not in control of the action figures...they are going to make the action figures that sell...She's got to be on the list soon [In regards to Britt]". He puts over Shida a lot, nothing new just facts about how she's carried the division and performs at a high level. He is asked about a TBS title, he as previously mentioned in here, hints at a stables or trios title of some kind. He calls the TNT belt his favorite in all of wrestling. Some doofus named Kyle can't figure out how mute works, he then hyperventilates in a Deputy Dog voice a question about Dark or Elevation talent, it makes no sense. Cody does mention that Dark and Elevation will be featuring talent from different markets across their touring schedule instead of just southern workers. Cody is asked about pay increases for AEW Shills on forums like Punchsport Pagoda, he says Tony assures him that they'll be giving us all a raise very soon, and to keep up our good work [Thanks boss].

Lastly he talks about the heel/face dynamic in his match with Ogogo, how some see Ogogo as the good guy and Cody as the bad guy due to the political nature of Cody's promo. He reiterates the points of his promo, says we have tons of problems as a country but hope outweighs it in his mind, wasn't trying to mainsplain racism he is just incredibly proud of his multi racial family. He thinks only pointing out the flaws and not pointing out who is working to fix it isn't something he agrees with, he talks about Memorial day and the sacrifice involved there. For the most part he doesn't care who people think is the good guy or the bad guy, the debate demonstrates there's a lot of interest in the match. He's proud of Ogogo being AEW's first developmental talent however the match ends up as far as a winner and loser. Some more kayfabe stuff about strengthening his core to defend against Ogogo's body blow.

Alright.

CODY RULES, GO CODY.

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I forgot all about this game and this weird little fucker

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was thinking about an earlier discussion about Lance Archer RE: if he loses the title match does that mean he's ruined as a character. And I think AEW is going for something different than past wrestling companies. It has felt like since the beginning they put the titles on the most over acts and no one gets a gold watch or pity title run. So I would honestly be find if there are plenty of guys who never win a title as long as the title holders are always over.

Take the champs we've seen vs companies like WWE or WCW or even ECW. There were plenty of head scratchers in all of them. I'm sure this is just because the company is early on and there will be title holders that probably shouldn't be but so far they have done a good job.

Lance is the perfect challenger because it is believable they could win. But I don't think he'd be the best TNT champ right now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its ok for your monster guy to choke in a title shot and then have another long and winding run at it. Both Lance and Miro are pretty compelling dudes plus you have Jake Roberts in the mix. It'll be a great match and I can't wait to see it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't believe for a solitary second that Cody doesn't know what focus groups are

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't believe for a solitary second that Cody doesn't know what focus groups are

dude skipped out on college to train at OVW. Its pretty good money he just knows the words.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Cody can't spell and he's fake as gently caress

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the eddie show is a garrett show 😡

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

smarxist posted:

look how peaceful Darby looks :unsmith:

calm.jpg

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

Just a reminder to the mods: I :toxx:'d myself saying if Miro doesn't retain the title at the PPV then I will eat a prob for a month. If he doesn't retain the title this Friday I'll eat that prob then as well. Bottom line - my guy is holding onto the title past Sunday.

See ya in July.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

See ya in July.

If you're so confident, toxx yourself with the opposite result. Then this will be a gentleman's agreement

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cody's going to beat up the black man from England and in doing so end racism in America. Truly he is the greatest face of all time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

If you're so confident, toxx yourself with the opposite result. Then this will be a gentleman's agreement

Ha, no.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd be really surprised if Lance won, but I'll be really happy when AEW surprises me at this PPV so it's not like when we talk about surprises in other parts of the industry.

MJeff posted:

Ha, no.
Got all that important Sonic news to post about!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really want Ogogo to win because Cody needs to learn his place.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

This is the start of Codys politics run, right?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GenghisTron posted:

This is the start of Codys politics run, right?

lol leveraging AEW to make him a senator since he can't run for the world title

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd be really surprised if Lance won, but I'll be really happy when AEW surprises me at this PPV so it's not like when we talk about surprises in other parts of the industry.
Got all that important Sonic news to post about!

There's a Netflix cartoon and Colors Ultimate is coming, it's exciting times.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

smarxist posted:

lol leveraging AEW to make him a senator since he can't run for the world title

Me in 18 months: "I dunno, I just think it undercuts the storytelling of 'I won't run for this seat again if I lose the primary' if you turn around and immediately gerrymander him into another district hand-crafted for him specifically"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Me in 18 months: "I dunno, I just think it undercuts the storytelling of 'I won't run for this seat again if I lose the primary' if you turn around and immediately gerrymander him into another district hand-crafted for him specifically"

lmao

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Yes, please let the man who doesn't know what a "focus group" is be responsible for far-reaching policies in my country.

gently caress him up, Ogogo.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The United State of America is fine

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
magestic

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

the eddie show is a garrett show 😡

it's really good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They've been teasing tension with the Jake/Archer dynamic lately, or at least Jake has been finding it harder to control him, so I wouldn't rule out that Archer loses because of Jake somehow.

Part of that speculation is that Jake probably doesn't want to go on the road anymore when things open back up, and they might want to find another role for him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sticklefifer posted:

They've been teasing tension with the Jake/Archer dynamic lately, or at least Jake has been finding it harder to control him, so I wouldn't rule out that Archer loses because of Jake somehow.

Part of that speculation is that Jake probably doesn't want to go on the road anymore when things open back up, and they might want to find another role for him.

The amount of being on the road Jake would do wouldn't really change, he lives in Oklahoma.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think Jake bumps for Archer to help set him up as a newly unleashed megaheel and wipe away the pins he's taken so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

See ya in July.

Lmao if you think they're immediately jobbing Miro out after putting him over so hard

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Apparently Shaq just said he plans to wrestle again soon.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

Big Show joker in the Battle Royale, Shaq emerges from the bowels of Daly's Place where he's been living since the ambulance escape, eliminates Big Show, sets up Giant Fight

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i initially put shaq in my joker prediction but backed out and i desrve it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Helicity posted:

Yes, please let the man who doesn't know what a "focus group" is be responsible for far-reaching policies in my country.

gently caress him up, Ogogo.

Not knowing what a focus group is is unironically a positive trait in a politician at this point though.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Archer won't lose much by counting the lights for Miro, even cleanly, AEW can start a push for him easily because his wins are so dominant looking, hell, they could put him in 2v1

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mark Henry got hot after 15 years of mediocrity, Archer can be a big deal again any time with the right booking

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Lmao if you think they're immediately jobbing Miro out after putting him over so hard

What I think is that you guys may have misinterpreted the point of having Miro beat Darby and who AEW wants to get over out of all of this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
miro is cool and strong and i think aew is behind him really hard as a champ and i don't think it's fair to say that he's just keeping the belt warm to immediately hand it over to lance

my feeling is that archer's losing and it'll be the split between him and jake, but jake's going to be the one to dump him and it'll eventually loop around to lance coming to the aid of sting -- and then he can rematch for the belt and triumph

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Miro was on with ESPN talking his title win and other sports that he follows. Miro talkin' disrespect and violence to Luka Doncic, and that will not stand. It's nice to see him getting the interview, though! It's less goofy than trying to ambush an NBA team in their locker room for a quick photo, and also gives the wrestler a chance at a different kind of promo. It would be nice for more of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eVqMzR4vk

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Rarity posted:

Pylons posted:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Miro is hotter than Archer is right now, has more charisma, is a bigger name, is nearly a decade younger. I don't see any reason to have him lose to Archer. I think there's a stronger case to have Miro win a surprisingly decisive victory (not saying this is necessarily the best outcome, but having Miro clearly outfight the reigning Monster Psychopath would let you elevate his title reign from 'opportunist who picked off a hobbled Darby' to 'guy everyone on the roster is scared of')

Lance doesn't need a belt to be who he is, the giant menacing guy who devours jobbers and kicks the rear end of top guys even if he might ultimately end up losing to them. They definitely need to feed him meaningful wins to maintain his legitimacy, but you can do that by giving him a break from title programs for a while and keeping him in the upper midcard. Let him beat Jungle Boy so it'll feel like a big deal when Jungle Boy wins a rematch a year or two later; give him a win against PAC if you need to juke the rankings to cool PAC off and set someone else up for a title match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

What I think is that you guys may have misinterpreted the point of having Miro beat Darby and who AEW wants to get over out of all of this.

I'm gonna say both of them, op