Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I think maybe I'll start a youtube channel, but I know I could never bring myself to make a stupid face for all the thumbnails

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just be one of those guys that makes a single stupid face and then copy/pastes it onto EVERY thumbnail

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Augus posted:

just be one of those guys that makes a single stupid face and then copy/pastes it onto EVERY thumbnail
thanks for reminding me to check in with my man boxyfresh

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

But that's Jack Dee.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Can we really confirm whether Rob Zombie is real or not?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

This is actually a pretty good video to be fair.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DrVenkman coming out strongly against vaccines by omission.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Sometimes I think maybe I'll start a youtube channel, but I know I could never bring myself to make a stupid face for all the thumbnails

I understand but really if you are just starting a youtube channel because you want to share something with people or such and not trying to get ad money you are still free to make the video however you like. There's plenty of painters who paint things and couldn't care less if only 3 people see it.

Or be like this where it's doing the stupid click bait thumbnail and is still something that is fine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think one time I watched one of my own uploaded videos on youtube enough for it to get more than double-digit views.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Flannelette posted:

Or be like this where it's doing the stupid click bait thumbnail and is still something that is fine.

Is this a clickbait thumbnail? I really dont know when a thumbnail becomes clickbait. is it just making a funny face?

I guess, in the end, they all are trying to get you to click...

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's a re-animator reference

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Is this a clickbait thumbnail? I really dont know when a thumbnail becomes clickbait. is it just making a funny face?

Clickbait is thumbnail that is baiting you to click it (duh) it can be obvious like pulling a certain face or red circles or it could have a question on it or have something sexual on it. It can be less obvious like this where it's just an interesting picture. Even if it is based on a movie poster, they and VHS box covers are bait too.
If you want not click bait examples just see any video where the thumbnail is just a random frame from the video with no attempt to market it.

I'll add that there's the other definition of clickbait which is that the thing you click on isn't what the thumbnail was but people call all youtube videos with red arrows and such click bait now even if the thumbnail is in the video so it seems to cover just advertising in general.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 28, 2021

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Big Clive been working hard on his thumbnail game

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I usually think of clickbait as stuff like "Ghost in our swimming pool?" with a red circle around someone who has a sheet over their head.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

DrVenkman posted:

I usually think of clickbait as stuff like "Ghost in our swimming pool?" with a red circle around someone who has a sheet over their head.

well? was there a ghost in the pool?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that hbomb thumb is actually kind of clever. Didn't put together the reanimator ref til just now.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

:goonsay:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Words can't express how much I loathe YouTube Face

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I love that I can tell all of these guys have a pending divorce just by their stupid faces

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

ElGroucho posted:

I love that I can tell all of these guys have a pending divorce just by their stupid faces

That assumes they were married in the first place.

But I digress.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
gently caress the 3080

imma get the 3090, which is $1500 except everyone's gonna be out of stock until like 2023 so that means imma go on ebay and get a used one for $3500

except i wanna do nvlink so that means i need two so that means i get to buy two used ones for $7000

fun times :)

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

watermelon.

bitch.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Hihohe posted:

Maybe I'm biased because that particular thumbnail is for HBomber's new video, but I'm much more receptive to thumbnails that are custom art/unique regardless of if it features a silly face. The problem with all these YouTube face thumbnails is that they're low-effort, formulaic, and just look awful. They're the funko pops of online videos.

I know it's a result of YouTube's algorithm and I should be taking a "don't hate the player hate the game" stance, but it's hard when YouTube's homepage is just wall to wall people willing to debase themselves for clicks. It's a first world problem and doesn't necessarily affect the content of the video, but it's all gross to look at.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mumbling posted:

Maybe I'm biased because that particular thumbnail is for HBomber's new video, but I'm much more receptive to thumbnails that are custom art/unique regardless of if it features a silly face. The problem with all these YouTube face thumbnails is that they're low-effort, formulaic, and just look awful. They're the funko pops of online videos.

I know it's a result of YouTube's algorithm and I should be taking a "don't hate the player hate the game" stance, but it's hard when YouTube's homepage is just wall to wall people willing to debase themselves for clicks. It's a first world problem and doesn't necessarily affect the content of the video, but it's all gross to look at.

You don't see the ones that don't do it because -> the algorithm/human brain doesn't select for them -> because they don't want to debase themself -> So you don't see them etc etc
But fear not, with enough effort and a lot of luck those that don't do it can fall into their own little niche and rise to the top over time by natural momentum/accretion.

DrVenkman posted:

5 years ago it would be now it's just so homogenized that people just call every online ad clickbait, inflammatory news title: "you're a clickbait news source now", red circle: clickbait etc etc.

The "kidney stone" face

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

This was my favorite part of Disco Elysium's fascism spirit quest too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I’ve heard of blue balls, but this is ridiculous!