Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Franchescanado posted:

Did you order it from Arrow or Diabolik? My Diabolik order came in immediately. They either do it on-time or a few weeks early. (Santa Sangre 4k box set came in two weeks early for me.)

Arrow's been a little weird about their shipments. They finally agreed to fix my order that got hosed up in shipping, and then I had radio silence for a few more weeks. I e-mailed them occasionally asking "Did this ship? Can I get a tracking number?"

They finally e-mailed me back today saying "This shipped, here's the tracking number!" and it's out for delivery today. Feels like they sat on the tracking info until they were sure it was going to be delivered.

Best Buy, but I'm seeing that apparently it was pushed to 6/1 actually. So lol on me for getting a little squirrely.

Looks like a couple 2-packs are in the pipeline from... Paramount? But I'll probably upgrade my Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Ln this way when it goes down to like... $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well this is loving awesome:

DISC ONE - FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY):

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
Theatrical trailers and TV spots
Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos

DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY):

The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
* EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE *

Special Features:

Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor

Where’s my 4K edition of the extended cut that Lynch had his name removed from? I demand a ten-minute intro narration about the history of the universe while the camera slowly pans over an oil painting of a robot killing some dudes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Best Buy, but I'm seeing that apparently it was pushed to 6/1 actually. So lol on me for getting a little squirrely.

Looks like a couple 2-packs are in the pipeline from... Paramount? But I'll probably upgrade my Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Ln this way when it goes down to like... $20.

10 Cloverfield Lane 4k UHD is $10 on Amazon right now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Getting ready for the Vinegar Syndrome sale tonight. I've really enjoyed some of their releases (Christmas Evil, Angel Collection, Tammy and the T Rex, The Undertaker)

My list for tonight is:
Psycho Cop Returns
Malibu High
Fade to Black

Anything else I should add based on what I like?

Dial Code Santa

You should look up Patty Hearst, Taking Tiger Mountain, and Putney Swope to see if those interest you.

Action USA is also a ton of fun, not sure if that'll be on sale though.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Liar Lyre posted:

I will sing the praises of Alphabet City until all of y’all buy it. Basically all of Fun City Editions titles are aces.

This movie is loving great. It was the first thing I ever bought from Vinegar Syndrome, completely blind, and I loved it. Hard recommend.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh yeah and Liquid Sky is a must

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MacheteZombie posted:

Dial Code Santa

You should look up Patty Hearst, Taking Tiger Mountain, and Putney Swope to see if those interest you.

Action USA is also a ton of fun, not sure if that'll be on sale though.

Action USA was a limited thing that instantly sold out. Thankfully MVD are reissuing it with the same transfer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Action USA was a limited thing that instantly sold out. Thankfully MVD are reissuing it with the same transfer.

Oh my bad I thought the slip cover was the limited part.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

Those two movies are $10 a pop on Amazon right now.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh my bad I thought the slip cover was the limited part.

Nah, it was part of the VSA subline.

Another to add to the recs list is are Wacko and Pandemonium. They’re trying to be like Airplane! for horror, but they don’t quite hit the same highs. Wacko is probably the better of the two. Also, Hell Comes to Frog Town and Spookies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Nah, it was part of the VSA subline.

Another to add to the recs list is are Wacko and Pandemonium. They’re trying to be like Airplane! for horror, but they don’t quite hit the same highs. Wacko is probably the better of the two. Also, Hell Comes to Frog Town and Spookies.

Oh yeah, so it is!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks, bought the Cloverfield UHD! I still don't have a UHD player yet, but Cloverfield on Blu-Ray was my very first Amazon purchase like 13 years ago and :10bux: is too good to pass up for when I eventually have a way to play it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

https://twitter.com/arrowfilmsvideo/status/1397961528926683137?s=21

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just didn't really care for Wacko at all, which may surprise some of you. :v:

Greydon Clark is more miss than hit, and there's a lot of misses. Although I do need to check out Uninvited sometime, it looks nuts.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, but… I want them in a single case.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I had my cart set up before the VS site went down so hopefully it won't reset like last time. In the event that it does, I have a tab folder with each title that was in my cart ready to go.

Since we were on the subject of VS titles, I would also recommend The Candy Snatchers, In the Cold of the Night, Blood Games, Star Time, and Snapshot.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

In the Cold of the Night is ridiculous. I am going to get the first two Giallo sets , some Rudy Ray Moore and then the halfway subscription.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rageaholic posted:

Thanks, bought the Cloverfield UHD! I still don't have a UHD player yet, but Cloverfield on Blu-Ray was my very first Amazon purchase like 13 years ago and :10bux: is too good to pass up for when I eventually have a way to play it.

I only knew about it because of the blu-ray deals thread; I bought them both myself last week. :shepspends:

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, but… I want them in a single case.

They’re both two-disc cases (UHD+BR), so what you do is buy both movies, take the Cloverfield Blu-ray disc out of the case, replace it with the 10 Cloverfield Lane UHD, take out the insert from the case, cut a piece of printer paper to fit the case, and write “BOTH CLOVERFIELD MOVIES” in crayon on the paper and put it in the case. Problem solved AND you have a spare 2-disc case for the next time you want to combine 2 movies! :smuggo:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I will continue to remind everyone that if you don't own a copy of Tammy and the T-Rex and you're like "What should I buy from the Vinegar Syndrome sale?", it's Tammy and the T-Rex. You should buy Tammy and the T-Rex before anything else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Sweet Sweetback will be included in an upcoming Melvin van Peebles set from Criterion (along with Story of a Three Day Tour and Watermelon Man, among others), so that may or may not be essential from VinSyn this time around.

My personal favorites have been Putney Swope, Liquid Sky, Psychos in Love, The Beastmaster, and of course, Tammy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/whmpodcast/status/1398132283568177155?s=21

I would only watch it once with the commentary. Can’t imagine owning Scanner Cop 1&2 and needing to watch it beside the one time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress, I love WHM but $60 is a hell of a blind buy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got a lot of fun (and nutty) recommendations reading these pages, thanks folks.

I'll say, since Phantom of the Mall reminds me, I recommend Shock Treatment (1981) to everybody. That movie rules, top notch Harper joint.

I just bought The Killer (1989) one of my favorite movies, from this cool looking fan restoration bootleg site. Hong Kong Rescue. Will it come, who knows, but it's nice that somebody is putting that out there without it being all messed up. Worth the 20 dollar try.

I don't understand what's going on with a lot of these great movies. Criterion remembered them 20+ years ago for DVD, why no blu-ray release. Plus The Killer only had one shoddy release here 10 years ago, so probably not much competition on that front.

Also, the lack of Stephen Chow classics is baffling. Where is the drat 20 film Stephen Chow (with Wong Jing and co.) Criterion mega box. They are asleep at the wheel here.

If it has Stephen Chow, Chow Yun-Fat, Maggie Cheung, it has to be on Criterion and preserved in pristine condition. Andy Lau too. At least up to the year 2000. We gotta preserve this stuff for the next 1000 years of film fans.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 28, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I didn’t even know Hong Kong Rescue was a thing. Immediately ordering Hard Boiled and The Killer next payday.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Heavy Metal posted:

I got a lot of fun (and nutty) recommendations reading these pages, thanks folks.

I'll say, since Phantom of the Mall reminds me, I recommend Shock Treatment (1981) to everybody. That movie rules, top notch Harper joint.

I just bought The Killer (1989) one of my favorite movies, from this cool looking fan restoration bootleg site. Hong Kong Rescue. Will it come, who knows, but it's nice that somebody is putting that out there without it being all messed up. Worth the 20 dollar try.

I don't understand what's going on with a lot of these great movies. Criterion remembered them 20+ years ago for DVD, why no blu-ray release. Plus The Killer only had one shoddy release here 10 years ago, so probably not much competition on that front.

Also, the lack of Stephen Chow classics is baffling. Where is the drat 20 film Stephen Chow (with Wong Jing and co.) Criterion mega box. They are asleep at the wheel here.

If it has Stephen Chow, Chow Yun-Fat, Maggie Cheung, it has to be on Criterion and preserved in pristine condition. Andy Lau too. At least up to the year 2000. We gotta preserve this stuff for the next 1000 years of film fans.

Usually it's a bunch of bullshit with rights issues. The rapidly dwindling market for physical media probably isn't helping either. Don't forget that in the early 2000s DVD was huge and everyone was just buying anything. Stores had multiple long aisles stuffed with movies. Now you're lucky if you can find some sad little corner with a dozen or so movies that came out in the last couple years. Blu-ray discs have never had the sales numbers DVDs did.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 28, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's true, for sure. I figure some of this stuff would compare favorably popularity wise to some stuff Criterion releases. But I am biased, since talking about some of my favs. Rights stuff is probably a quagmire, true true.

Having some more of these movies for rent on amazon and vudu would be something even. In any format, keep these neato films in the mix. A 2004 cd-r xvid by ECHiZEN (shouts out) is just not gonna do it forever.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
VinSyn order was surprisingly cheap shipped:

Patty Hearst
Psycho Cop Returns
Fade to Black
Let My Puppets Come
Putney Swope
Penitentiary
Penitentiary II
Uninvited
Decoder

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

dorium posted:

I didn’t even know Hong Kong Rescue was a thing. Immediately ordering Hard Boiled and The Killer next payday.

I've got a double feature disc with both, but I'm definitely looking at this. These are such fun movies, would be nice to get some good quality versions (and others like better tomorrow) since I can't seem to find any streaming options.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Heavy Metal posted:

This honestly makes me kind of sad we're never going to get quality versions of those on disc. :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Woke up, bought all the Rudy Ray Moore movies, Putney Swope and The Candy Snatchers. I'd call that a good morning.

See you next month for the Severin sale, where we all complain about their service and then spend anyways!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I ended up getting the halfway subscription plus:
Nightmare Weekend
Murder Weapon / Deadly Embrace
The Cardona Collection Vol 1
Forgotten Gialli Vol 1 - 3
The Beastmaster
Fade to Black
Pandemonium
Silent Madness
All the Rudy Ray Moore movies

and best of all a pair of those Don't Panic PJS to protect me from 99% blind buys.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I couldn't pull the trigger on the halfway subscription 'cause I blew about that much cash on the Pitchfork music festival this year, buutttttttttt

King Vidiot posted:

See you next month for the Severin sale, where we all complain about their service and then spend anyways!
I forgot just how well VS has their poo poo setup in comparison until I hit the instantly loading site at 9:01 and checked out by 9:04. :monocle:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 28, 2021

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Holy poo poo thanks for that Hong Kong Rescue link. Getting those John Woos, Wheels on Meals and trying to decide between Project A and Supercop for a fourth.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow August release. I'm in for Dune for sure.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

And my Django limited edition just shipped. Honestly though, I might return it and grab that standalone. I mainly want the movie and I’m not the biggest “extras” guy these days.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I hope Arrow’s Dune fixes some of the weird color timing of the Universal Blu-ray.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I went a little crazy on VinSyn.

Nightmare Weekend with slipcase
Silent Madness with slipcase
Patty Hearst
Malibu High
Fade To Black
Dolemite
Psycho Cop Returns
In the Cold of the Night
Liquid Sky
Putney Swope
Unmasked Part 25
Deadline

All blind buys.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is probably random anecdotal observation, but has anyone been to Best Buy this week and noticed that they restocked the movie section? At the one near me the shelves have been sitting near empty for like 6 months and they never restock anything ever, then all the sudden I went in there this week and the shelves are full and the selection is back up to a somewhat normal level. I picked up the recent Shout Factory King Kong(1976) release because I was like drat how often do I see a Shout Factory blu ray here?

My guess is that stuff has been building up in the back of the store for months and some manager just arbitrarily decided that this is the week they were finally gonna clear it out. But I'm wondering if there's been some sort of company wide policy change and if every store is doing this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Train to Busan steelbook was $16 on Amazon so I just picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I went a little crazy on VinSyn.

Nightmare Weekend with slipcase
Silent Madness with slipcase
Patty Hearst
Malibu High
Fade To Black
Dolemite
Psycho Cop Returns
In the Cold of the Night
Liquid Sky
Putney Swope
Unmasked Part 25
Deadline

All blind buys.

Deadline was a blast. I also put in my order but I'm ashamed how much I spent.