Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

611 is finally arriving at Paradise, PA after delays due to a broken stoker.

Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZ_VnPrzhs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wth am i looking at

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wth am i looking at

a train line. no trains yet though. there were some earlier, and there might be some more soon.

(Strasburg RR is a shortline that does steam excursions and cargo services for local industries. Paradise, PA is the location of its interchange with Amtrak lines that are also used by NS locals to deliver freight. Norfolk and Western steam engine 611, operated by the VMT, is visiting Strasburg to run excursion services for a few months. It will be arriving under tow but powered for lubrication reasons today, supposedly in the next few hours. It's a big, neat steam engine.)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Log082 posted:

This is why the British method of just having a guy is better :colbert:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

[swears britishly as my view is blocked by a commuter train]

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Log082 posted:

This is happening live now 4:23 Eastern Time

Edit: and all done 4:50 or so

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 26, 2021

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

It does rather limit the size of your locos though - even one which was infamous for being at the absolute limit of what a fireman could sustain ends up looking puny beside a not-especially-large American engine

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

At a certain stage the largest American locomotives reached the point that having two guys wasn't enough and after that you kind of run out of space on the footplate. 611's stoker has run (and existed) far beyond its original planned service life, plus it apparently had a flaw in the casting.

Another fun anicdote I read about the issues with hand firing a very large steam locomotive was that the Big Boy could suck the shovel right out of a fireman's hands with it's draft when working hard uphill. I'm sure that wasn't isolated to the big boy as there were locomotives with stronger drafting (the Allegheny for one).

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 27, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BalloonFish posted:

It does rather limit the size of your locos though - even one which was infamous for being at the absolute limit of what a fireman could sustain ends up looking puny beside a not-especially-large American engine

i want to have tender love with this two here trains

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I like big tenders and I cannot lie.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Another fun anicdote I read about the issues with hand firing a very large steam locomotive was that the Big Boy could suck the shovel right out of a fireman's hands with it's draft when working hard uphill. I'm sure that wasn't isolated to the big boy as there were locomotives with stronger drafting (the Allegheny for one).

I've heard this is still true today on those locomotives that the Durango & Silverton uses. I've only hand bombed a steam locomotive once, and that was more than enough for me. I prefer nice little oil flow controls, thank you very much.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tex Avery posted:

I've heard this is still true today on those locomotives that the Durango & Silverton uses. I've only hand bombed a steam locomotive once, and that was more than enough for me. I prefer nice little oil flow controls, thank you very much.

Great Western 4-6-0 locos, which have narrow fireboxes, long-travel valves and very fierce blastpipe/drafting arrangements were known for sucking the coal right off the shovel when they were working hard - the fireman just had to offer up the coal to the firebox door and *gone*

For instance:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCoR0b-O9E8

Clarence
May 3, 2012

A bit of hyperbole there in that video. The draught was helping to slightly pull the coal off the shovel when it's being tipped into the back end.

If the draught was hard enough to just pull the coal off then it would end up on top of the brick arch which isn't... ideal.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

A bit of hyperbole there in that video. The draught was helping to slightly pull the coal off the shovel when it's being tipped into the back end.

If the draught was hard enough to just pull the coal off then it would end up on top of the brick arch which isn't... ideal.

Good point - my lack of experience firing any loco bigger than 5" gauge is showing! Marine boilers don't have brick arches or such powerful draught!

I have read other references to locos lifting/sucking the coal off the shovel when working hard, but they were all accounts from firemen, who would know the reality and understand the subtlies behind the words

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I'm sure there would be some effect at high speed when working hard. It'd probably make it actually harder to get the coal down to the front because of fighting the draught to get it there!

There is a saying that to get the coal down to the front on something like a King you "need a wheelbarrow" because of the long firebox.

On the other hand, apparently with a Duchess at high speed the fireman doesn't need to place the coal at all, just drop it inside the door and the movement of the loco spreads it around.

FWIW I've not fired anything at faster than 40-something MPH, so I've no experience with what's happening at high speeds.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BalloonFish posted:

It's been years since I actually hunted this stuff down - as a Brit I first learned about the Milwaukee Road playing downloaded custom scenarios on Railroad Tycoon 2 about 20 years ago (which is where I picked up most of the rest of my knowledge about American railways and, indeed, American geography and history...)

Crikey, thanks!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

meltie posted:

The fish duo make a great point! Where could we read or watch more about the Milwaukee Road?

So, pretty sure where I heard that tale about de-electrification, and I poo poo you not this is true. I got married at a former Milwaukee Road depot converted to a Hotel and it had a little display inside of some Milwaukee Road memorabilia and trivia, and I think it was one of the placards in there that that included that little tidbit.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tex Avery posted:

I know someone that works at the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad; they use the same types of engines. One is starting service "soon" (as in, this year) after having been converted to oil. Want I should ask about the "sucks the coal off the shovel?"

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Nah, I've got a friend who used to work for the D&S, and that's where I heard it from.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

This is an Unimog pulling some kind of new british EMU. That's cool in itself.

BUT LOOK AT THE WAY THEY PAINTED THE AIR TANKS. I love it because they store pressure energy :D

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Island Line uses old Tube stock. They're changing over to Class 484s, which are refurbished London Underground D78s. They've had to close the entire line to do this in order to make the loading gauge fit the trains.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I love those air tanks!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kilonum posted:

Island Line uses old Tube stock. They're changing over to Class 484s, which are refurbished London Underground D78s. They've had to close the entire line to do this in order to make the loading gauge fit the trains.

Didn't a load of refurbished tube stock catch fire a few years ago? They were trying to turn them into DMUs iirc?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Probably. I just have a hardon for the Island Line in particular for its quirks.

Also because it was the first train sim DLC I ever bought.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't a load of refurbished tube stock catch fire a few years ago? They were trying to turn them into DMUs iirc?

The Class 230

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Intended to replace the infamous Pacers (built in the early 1980s by putting the body and drivetrain from a Leyland bus on a BR 'high speed' 4-wheel freight wagon chassis).

The fact that northern cities and provincial bits of rural Britain had to make do with these bouncy, screechy improvised stop-gaps 20+ years after they were supposed to be withdrawn as 'proper' trains were cascaded from the main lines and London commuter belt as a new generation of rolling stock was introduced (which didn't happen due to the clusterfuck of privatisation and the surging passenger numbers which meant that old stock was retained to ease overcrowding) is a source of significant bad feeling and complaint.

So the solution is obviously to lash up some ex-Tube stock even older than the Pacers with a couple of Ford van engines.

The North Can Never Be Allowed Proper Trains!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tex Avery posted:

I love those air tanks!

Yup! :buddy:

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
recently i've been reading up on Jamaica's railways and it's an incredibly cavalcade of failtrains;

-initially the engines they purchased didn't have enough power to climb the 1-in-40 grades so they had to quadruple-head them
-during the late 1800s it was sold off to americans who re-equipped it with american stock and operating standards. this lead to the railroads maintaining 2 different fleet of knuckle/AAR-equipped stock and buffer and chain stock
-the railroad nearly never turned a profit; but continued purchasing locomotives there wasn't really any clear use for
-the railroad was built to a full size and standard gauge; considering the mountain climbing it had to do this was seen as a mistake

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Finally someone went and did it,

https://i.imgur.com/I7TMzY1.mp4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
.... ooookay thats enough internet for me today

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Baconroll posted:

"do not hump", I guess?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Baconroll posted:

Hey, that's FRED! :dadjoke:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

NoWake posted:

Hey, that's FRED! :dadjoke:

gently caress that scab.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Saw this today on Reddit and lol'd

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
It's not wrong! I learned recently that trainmasters at my railroad get an annual bonus based on the number of cars moved. This fully explains all of the times I get back to the yard with 30 minutes left before I go dead on the law and get a shout on the radio of "hey, can you just grab these cars really quickly on your way up?"

Tex Avery fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 25, 2021

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
Thinking about New York's car float terminals today

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Connie4800 posted:

Thinking about New York's car float terminals today

The C&O operated car floats across Lake Michigan, and it's the only way railcars get to Alaska, too. There is no overland link to Canada or the lower 48. I should have some photos from an Alaska Railroad terminal in a month or so, heading up there to guide an installation of some track material we made.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKa8K9qZBQ

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Uh, sir, that is a truck.

Still a good video, though. I love Robert's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E0P_UAcsJBY

Here's one of the full-size ones (in bus form) going through the middle of London.