Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yup. Nuon and Postnord are two of the worst blows to Swedish finances historically when compared to GDP, up there with the sinking of Wasa.

fnox posted:

I'm hearing this repeatedly being said in SFI but what's this about immigrants to Sweden not wanting to be vaccinated? It's not hard to believe considering how Folkhälsomyndigheten has handled things, but what is actually causing this?

It's true, and FHM has reports on it:

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/publicerat-material/publikationsarkiv/c/covid-19-vaccinationstackning-och-fodelseland-/

"Vaccinationstäckningen bland personer som är 80 år och äldre är högst bland personer som är födda i Sverige (91 procent). Därefter kommer personer som är födda i Norden (85 procent), i Nordamerika (81 procent) och i EU (77 procent). Lägst vaccinationstäckning ses bland personer födda i Nordafrika (59 procent) och i övriga Afrika (44 procent)."

As for the reason why, I don't think there are any scientific reports but mostly a bunch of more or less founded guesswork. Everything from how well information is spread in other languages than Swedish to how signing up for vaccination works to varying degress of trust of government in general and vaccines in particular. Sweden has traditionally less problem with anti-vaccination ideas than some other parts of the world.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There are areas with great coverage among immigrants. In those places the most influential component has been having VC staff who can speak the patients' languages.

I'm sure there are a billion confounding factors, but I'm willing to bet that information/informing is way more important than any supposed cultural baggage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blame the bumblefucks at the CIA.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-cia-fake-vaccination-campaign-endangers-us-all/

tldr; The CIA arranged a fake vaccination campaign in areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan as a cover for collecting intel about Bin Laden. No information of value was gained, but it absolutely devastated public trust in vaccines in those countries. This distrust has since spread with the help of various fundamentalist groups.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I’m thinking it’s the lack of info in other languages.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just got scheduled for vaccination!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Randarkman posted:

Just got scheduled for vaccination!

hell yeah! congrats!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

teen witch posted:

Yeah I’m thinking it’s the lack of info in other languages.

If that's the case then we're hosed. Government has made it a point to make information inaccessible in other languages than Danish in recent years. NGO's even had to translate the official pandemic guidelines in the beginning.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I swore i once saw a offical coronaposter in polish and arabic in Norway, but now i am not sure.
Why don`the culture minister get in touch with the biggest muslim congregations to personally ask the Imams there if they could encourage people to get vaccinated?
Goverments using spiritual leaders to get out vital information is nothing new so why not do it?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SplitSoul posted:

If that's the case then we're hosed. Government has made it a point to make information inaccessible in other languages than Danish in recent years. NGO's even had to translate the official pandemic guidelines in the beginning.

English is everywhere, do you mean other moon languages?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

English is everywhere, do you mean other moon languages?

Yes, the NGO's had to translate it for the major immigrant language groups, but I've noticed a lot of official sites have even removed their English versions or scaled them back considerably. All municipal communication is in Danish now, AFAIK. It was much better in the past, but it became a battleground around the same time as the abolition of native language education (for everyone except EU citizens and "westerners").

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it's been a real shitshow for my Indian colleagues, when trying to interact with any sort of public or official information. It's all in Danish, they get sent letters in Danish, sometimes with very critical information that they need to act on.

Google translate can only go so far.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Brøndby superspreader festivities now at 37 infected. If only this had been at all preventable. Oh well!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Baudolino posted:

I swore i once saw a offical coronaposter in polish and arabic in Norway, but now i am not sure.
Why don`the culture minister get in touch with the biggest muslim congregations to personally ask the Imams there if they could encourage people to get vaccinated?
Goverments using spiritual leaders to get out vital information is nothing new so why not do it?

The official website certainly has information in a number of languages and if you look at the vaccination information it makes a point to say you are entitled to an interpreter and gives info on how to get one.

Of course if you're in my age group you're not actually entitled to a vaccination yet so it's all rather moot. :argh:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Age might actually be another factor. In a lot of places the immigrant population trends younger since the elderly generally have trouble making the trip at all.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/524123/sweden-number-of-immigrants-by-age/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/521717/sweden-population-by-age/

Looking at the full population roughly 20% of the Swedish population is over 65

Only about 2% of the immigrant population is over 65. The significant majority are 35 or under.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

The official website certainly has information in a number of languages and if you look at the vaccination information it makes a point to say you are entitled to an interpreter and gives info on how to get one.

Of course if you're in my age group you're not actually entitled to a vaccination yet so it's all rather moot. :argh:

We make them pay for translation themselves when it comes to healthcare and other life-saving medical information, even to the detriment of white citizens (see above).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/valfardsutskott/status/1398301761648091140?s=21

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Incidentally, this probably doesn't help with the non Danish speakers' trust in the government.

I'm general, being mostly disconnected from society and living in parallel society is probably also bad for participation in vaccinations. And that is very much the result of 20+years of racist policies, plus the 30+ years before that of really bad but less directly racist policies, like building self sufficient housing blocks that turned into ghettos.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I heard second hand that two "experts" were discussing this on morning TV. One was annoyed with the slapping sound (from the loving) and the interviewer being distracted, the other wanted more description of the action.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dont even want to think about how much pointless extra work i would have to do if my office refused to communicate in english. Whenever there is a communication problem my job gets 10x harder. So yeah its super inefficent for the public sector to make itself lingustically unavailable.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Baudolino posted:

I dont even want to think about how much pointless extra work i would have to do if my office refused to communicate in english. Whenever there is a communication problem my job gets 10x harder. So yeah its super inefficent for the public sector to make itself lingustically unavailable.

I have to politely ask people to speak Danish to each other at work. Our two lead network guys will speak English if I'm in the room and frankly they're brilliant but like 7/10 in English each so I tell at them to discuss issues in DANISH then tell me what they decided.

I mean I'm pretty senior but having SVPs apologize to me for using Danish in Denmark is embarassing

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

I mean I'm pretty senior but having SVPs apologize to me for using Danish in Denmark is embarassing

OTOH, it's only right to apologise.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok so Denmark (Forsvarets Efteretningstjeneste) secretly helped NSA to spy on Swedish top politicians, company leaders and national agencies? WTF dudes?

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/usa-har-spionerat-pa-svenska-politiker-med-hjalp-av-danmark

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah next time do it openly wtf

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

brah, you know what danish sounds like.

lilljonas posted:

Ok so Denmark (Forsvarets Efteretningstjeneste) secretly helped NSA to spy on Swedish top politicians, company leaders and national agencies? WTF dudes?

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/usa-har-spionerat-pa-svenska-politiker-med-hjalp-av-danmark

danskjävlar!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 30, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The intelligence agencies in Danmark have almost no meaningful oversight. The latest scandal was in fact how the military intelligence branch were systematically lying to, and misleading, the oversight committee. It will never get fixed because 80% of the politician are terrified of muslims and have all made it part of their political identity. Also no amount of bowing and scraping to American interests will ever be enough for Denmark.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The intelligence agencies in Danmark have almost no meaningful oversight. The latest scandal was in fact how the military intelligence branch were systematically lying to, and misleading, the oversight committee. It will never get fixed because 80% of the politician are terrified of muslims and have all made it part of their political identity. Also no amount of bowing and scraping to American interests will ever be enough for Denmark.
It's pretty funny because history has shown everyone on the old continent's pretty much willing to ratfuck their neighbors and slobber uncle sam's dick to get the slight whiff of marginally better table scraps in return. It wouldn't suprise me at all if they had similar agreements with all the scandis.
The french are probably the notable exception, because nique ta mere is why.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Privatization was a mistake. This is just a giant gently caress you from SAS and their lovely Irish subsidiary.

https://twitter.com/jsjostedt/status/1399392000688934912?s=21

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think we probably made a mistake with the whole "intelligence agency" concept, friends

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk Pitt posted:

Privatization was a mistake. This is just a giant gently caress you from SAS and their lovely Irish subsidiary.

https://twitter.com/jsjostedt/status/1399392000688934912?s=21

Wallenbergarna needed to top up the bank account and, as always, our poo poo 'rulers' oblige their masters.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Have to say I’m enjoying watching the implosion of Liberalerna.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Star posted:

Came to post this. Lol.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Star posted:

Sabuni right now: "But Cardiac promised me that there is a large voter base for a strong pro-nationalist liberal agenda!"

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Sabuni right now: "But Cardiac promised me that there is a large voter base for a strong pro-nationalist liberal agenda!"

I never said that the actual voter base would reside within Liberalerna.
One could make an argument that Moderaterna stands for that agenda much better than L at this point.

SCB pretty much shows that L is hosed regardless of where they stand with respect to SD.
If you want a liberal party that is against SD, you vote for C and if you want a liberal party that is sort of ok with SD, you vote M/KD, it is kinda simple.
If you don't want a S government, voting L is going to be problematic given the last election and the outcome.
(Also, the thread definition of what constitutes liberal is hardly representative of the general public)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely like having Cardiac in this thread.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Beeswax posted:

I genuinely like having Cardiac in this thread.

Same. More Scanian representation is always good, even though it is of the (iirc) kranskommun-kind.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If nothing else, it prevents this thread from becoming an echo chamber

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

True, L has no room in current national politics, and the polls are representing that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Thought it's a hard sell to say that M or KD (or even L) are liberal parties.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

If nothing else, it prevents this thread from becoming an echo chamber

Exactly. And I admire Cardiac for staying level-headed (and wrong HEH GOTTEM) despite some posters ITT going apoplectic every time he posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
oh no the dreaded echo chamber

as if leftists don't argue amongst themselves