Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintersorg posted:

Is that why JK Simmons got so swole? Like, I thought he was gonna be all buff in Justice League but I guess he just wanted to be swole for the gently caress of it?

He was getting into character for Omni-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

From what I remember, JK started working out because he got told he would have a nude scene on OZ and had a bit of a panic that he would look terrible naked, and so he started working out and just never stopped because, well, he felt better, moved easier, had more stamina, all the stuff that comes along with working out.

But I believe those pictures of him showed up just after he had gotten Gordon and when someone asked him about it he joked that he needed to swole up since he was going to be in a Snyder movie. Reality was, he’d been doing it for years, just that nobody gave a poo poo because none of the roles he did before that moment involved working with directors that have the “everyone looks like they were carved out of marble” aesthetic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's inspiring me and im not even old.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hard to imagine that an actor would work out alot

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

He was probably lying for that GQ interview, but I do like to think about Robert Pattinson stuck in quarantine in the middle of filming Batman huddled in a corner inventing pasta sandwiches and refusing to work out because that poo poo loving sucks, man.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Pierce Brosnan looks great in False Positive, love that guy

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

This premise is beyond stupid and I have to agree with one of the Youtube comments. That's how dumb this film is.

"Wouldn't it make more sense to go back in time and alter human civilization to prepare for the arrival of the aliens?."

Like, duh!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

This premise is beyond stupid and I have to agree with one of the Youtube comments. That's how dumb this film is.

"Wouldn't it make more sense to go back in time and alter human civilization to prepare for the arrival of the aliens?."

Like, duh!

I haven't watched this trailer and I have about 0 intention of watching the movie, so have no dog in this fight, but that's one view of time travel--you can't change what already happened.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I haven't watched this trailer and I have about 0 intention of watching the movie, so have no dog in this fight, but that's one view of time travel--you can't change what already happened.

And pulling people out of the past to bring them to the future as soldiers isn’t changing it?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thaddius the Large posted:

And pulling people out of the past to bring them to the future as soldiers isn’t changing it?

They're not from your past, they're from their "present".

(so either time travel is actually impossible, or this is the proof for some form of "alternate timelines" theory)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 27, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The idea there, I guess, would be that pulling Chris Pratt out of the past wouldn't change anything. Meaning past Chris Pratt could meet current Chris Pratt, because, as far as the regular time line is concerned, he was never removed from it. It's kind of what Avengers did (except where they broke their own rules), where "changing your past doesn't change your future".

Time travel makes no sense, so each movie makes its own rules. But that version is my least favorite way of doing it, because it removes most stakes from the whole "time travel" aspect of it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckvY9NeaRAo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

motherfuggin boring af

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought this came out already but I guess The Rock demands he's seen on the big screen.

TBH I am kinda getting sick of his schtick and Ive been following him on Insta for a bit now. I mean, the guy has a show all about him. Kinda obsessed.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thrawn527 posted:

The idea there, I guess, would be that pulling Chris Pratt out of the past wouldn't change anything. Meaning past Chris Pratt could meet current Chris Pratt, because, as far as the regular time line is concerned, he was never removed from it. It's kind of what Avengers did (except where they broke their own rules), where "changing your past doesn't change your future".

Time travel makes no sense, so each movie makes its own rules. But that version is my least favorite way of doing it, because it removes most stakes from the whole "time travel" aspect of it.

My eyes went crossed trying to understand this, this is why I prefer Time Cop rules, because I get it. Don’t mess around or stuff changes, don’t touch yourself or you blow up, mullets are forever

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It looks like The Mummy, which means I will probably have to cave and watch a Dwayne Johnson movie. I probably won't like it and will complain about the lame humor and the cartoony physics and the overreliance on big empty CGI setpieces and such, but at least I know that going in.

Being a big Indiana Jones fan is tough because the vast majority of the riffs on it are dreadful :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My eyes went crossed trying to understand this, this is why I prefer Time Cop rules, because I get it. Don’t mess around or stuff changes, don’t touch yourself or you blow up, mullets are forever

The sliver of the Venn diagram where Time Cop rules and Catholic household rules overlap on "don't touch yourself or you blow up."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

The one saying 'living on borrowed time' is his daughter, calling it now. Him going to the future made her want to prepare for it Sarah Connor style.

The twist at the end better be that he ends up stepping into the past portal to recruit the next group of past meat fodder.

And why are all conquering aliens just mini Cloverfield things that don't use tech.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 27, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
The twist will them going back into the past and trying to wipe out the aliens homeworld before the aliens invade, failing to do so, and starting the war.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPlmnFrbl1U

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Huh. That seems to be significantly departing from the comic in some ways.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I thought this came out already but I guess The Rock demands he's seen on the big screen.

TBH I am kinda getting sick of his schtick and Ive been following him on Insta for a bit now. I mean, the guy has a show all about him. Kinda obsessed.

I swear the pitch for this movie was "what if The African Queen, but sapped of what makes The African Queen a good movie"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I like how the portal opens up in the sky

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Werewolves Within. Looks like an alright dark comedy/horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WzPQNIBJ4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

...Ubisoft?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's a videogame adaptation.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Werewolves Within. Looks like an alright dark comedy/horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WzPQNIBJ4

Richard Splett from Veep is getting some work between this and that lovely chris pratt movie it seems.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

not trolled not crying posted:

It's kind of hilarious/sad how you can see this checking most of the generic boxes in Bezos' vision of a good TV show/movie:
https://twitter.com/pkafka/status/1392105849468985347?s=20

Pick a tv show you consider fantastic and see how many of Jef Bezos' criteria it's missing.

The Wire:
No heroic protagonist, no wish fulfilment, no diverse worldbuilding, no cliffhangers as a rule, no civilizational high stakes, and very few positive emotions.
Bezos certified conclusion: The wire is trash

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Disagree on the diverse worldbuilding, considering each season incorporated a new facet of Baltimore. Otherwise, on paper I'd agree.

That said, I think his description was more about what makes for a popular show, not necessarily a good one. Think about who Bezos is and why his definition of "good" might be different from yours.

In other news, there is a trailer out for Lansky and it looks awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kanonvandekempen posted:

Richard Splett from Veep is getting some work between this and that lovely chris pratt movie it seems.

Also Harvey Guillen (Guillermo) from What We Do In The Shadows :neckbeard:

E: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPPcdhgh26H/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 28, 2021

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I have to assume there's some kind of twist to the whole time machine thing because why the gently caress would you send people forward in time instead of just getting the entire world on war footing and then spend the next 30 years preparing?

If it wasn't an extra generic rear end made-for-streaming movie, then something like "meat grinder for the sake of thinning and disciplining population Starship Troopers style" reveal would've made sense

not trolled not crying posted:

It's kind of hilarious/sad how you can see this checking most of the generic boxes in Bezos' vision of a good TV show/movie:
https://twitter.com/pkafka/status/1392105849468985347?s=20

Bezos is a dunce that should just stay away from creative as far as possible and that list is pure cringe but I am a tiny bit reassured by him highlighting "violence", thats cool
shame that in the past various mr. moneybags in movie business would've just said VIOLENCE AND TITTIES in the memos and we would get some nice films out it

trying to make the Rock a romantic lead in anything is futile, he is a sexless american dream homunculus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The way jungle cruise looks makes me feel sick

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do admit Jungle Cruise will scratch an itch for adventure movies but I think Emily Blunt is doing some heavy lifting for it.

And I concur on the Rock being some kind of sexless dream homonculus and I think it has to do with the artificiality of hisself and his “brand” If you’re going to be a romantic lead type there needs to be something genuine coming out of you to latch onto.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, I'm bored of The Rock. I'm all in on the Bautista train now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

teagone posted:

Yep. It helps that Bautista has great taste when it comes to projects, and Johnson has godawful taste.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

teagone posted:

Bautista actually took acting lessons and seems willing to take try to push himself a lot more. The Rock seems to know the gravy train won't last forever and is happy to make a fortune on generic family style movies while he can.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Bautista is starting to wear on me too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
We only have so many big beefy boys, you've gotta choose one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Rock knows his ceiling and that's fine, I think. He's usually charismatic enough in his big dumb action roles that I don't mind watching them.

I am eagerly awaiting the announcement for the next Jumanji movie, and I'm kind of surprised they haven't actually said it's happening yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Yep. It helps that Bautista has great taste when it comes to projects, and Johnson has godawful taste.

It’s less of a taste issue and more that Johnson is now a Brand and as such every project he picks/joins needs to warp into his style of performance/entertainment. Which makes all his movies the loving same.

Will Smith had this going for a long rear end while before he started doing some good stuff again.