Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

are our working and hiring practices out of touch?

no. it’s the engineers who are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have an interview with a takehome prior to it. the takehome is probably in the top 3 most common system design question. idk what to expect from the interview because like, the solution to this is so well known. the only thing i can think of to make it stand out is to maybe show the “rush to market” solution, the best solution, and a list of tasks you’d need to get from the fast solution to the good solution

feels like showing off you know not only what to do, but also how to get there, would be kinda impressive to an interviewer. maybe.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i run tests for candidates and they're basically just a sanity check, I'm not looking to be wowed. but as long as you did the core thing right the other stuff would probably bone me up a bit

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

In every takehome I've delivered, the interviewer went "Oh wow, you wrote tests for this?", so I wouldn't sweat it too much

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is a no-code exercise, it’s all system design graphs and the like

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Personally I'd try to do a solid job that does what is asked, and doesn't go too overboard (who knows who's going to evaluate your work, and during what boring meeting, and with what deadlines), and use the solution discussion afterwards to wow them with the extra expertise (here's what I did, what I could have done, but didn't do because etc)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

never say anything but the most anodyne poo poo in an exit interview. good opportunity, new challenges, etc.

there’s no good outcome for you for saying poo poo. you’re leaving; who cares what you think?

about the only thing that will move the needle is if they’re cross-burning nazi sex pests iff you have receipts

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got one of the 6 hours zoom dealies with apple. lord loving help me. i'm going to schedule it a month out because i need to study my rear end off for algo poo poo and honestly some of the ios frameworks i don't use on the reg.

also apple hiring managers are very weird. the things they say make me feel bad for being an ios engineer that has touched service and backend code and also been put in positions where i had to write android and frontend js. as much as i would love to touch only swift, it hasn't ever worked that way for me.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

KidDynamite posted:

got one of the 6 hours zoom dealies with apple. lord loving help me. i'm going to schedule it a month out because i need to study my rear end off for algo poo poo and honestly some of the ios frameworks i don't use on the reg.

also apple hiring managers are very weird. the things they say make me feel bad for being an ios engineer that has touched service and backend code and also been put in positions where i had to write android and frontend js. as much as i would love to touch only swift, it hasn't ever worked that way for me.

You got this!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we're interviewing for a director of our team [I noped out of applying] and this guy we talked to yesterday, when asked the insanely normal question of what types of things would you do you do if senior management says they don't want to give our team the resources it needs? answered "I'd threaten to quit"

verbatim

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

we're interviewing for a director of our team [I noped out of applying] and this guy we talked to yesterday, when asked the insanely normal question of what types of things would you do you do if senior management says they don't want to give our team the resources it needs? answered "I'd threaten to quit"

verbatim

ask him would he follow through

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qirex posted:

verbatim

did he get the job

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

verbatim

why not be the director

you're going to end up doing half the new person's job anyway

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
what is the correct answer to “what would you do if your management denies you the resources you need to be successful”

i’m not being snarky, i’m genuinely curious

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
to me the right answer is "collaboratively redefine success so that it is attainable with our current resources" but for the people hiring for this job the answer is probably "have a bias towards urgency" or "take ownership" or some other excelsior-on-the-side-of-a-truck-rear end bullshit catchphrase

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
like i’ve never interviewed for anything managerial but i’m interpreting that as the director version of “what would you do if you were asked to do ic work on a substandard workstation without the appropriate software licenses?” like, i’d quit? i know it’s a salty, belligerent response but in major job markets we have better options available to us and i can’t think of a way or reason to pretend otherwise.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

raminasi posted:

what is the correct answer to “what would you do if your management denies you the resources you need to be successful”

you would make a plan for what is achievable with the resources you have and present it back so expectations were managed

if they say ‘tough poo poo you gotta do what we asked before but with half the resources’ or whatever you gotta state the risks clearly and get them acknowledged to both cover everyone’s rear end but also have a path forward when poo poo hits the fan

just throwing your toys and quitting is a legit thing to do if your management are assholes, but often they are doing their best and poo poo rolls downhill so you gotta make do

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Explicitly saying “I won’t try to address the problem” and implicitly saying “i will make it someone else’s problem” is possibly the worst response on the planet even if wholly justified. that question is there to figure out

imo the correct response is to make crystal clear in written communication what will be possible with the resources given, citing previous experience/whatever logic, and to state clearly that the result will not match the goals ordained by [metric setting authority]. Emphasize costs whenever possible. CC appropriate parties on that email; You should ensure this discrepancy has a paper trail as early in conflict as possible. Then you do your merry best given the circumstances while remaining communicative and polite.

One of the best pieces of advice I think I’ve received in terms of keeping people happy: don’t tell them no, tell them what it’ll cost

Standish
May 21, 2001

raminasi posted:

make sure that management understands what is and is not achievable with the resources available and present them with clearly defined options and tradeoffs, in a constructive and professional manner.

e.g. "With 3 devs for four months we can give customer A that distributed fizzbuzz feature they've been asking for. Alternately we can give customer B an alpha version of the TempleOS port. However the rewrite in the latest version of Brainfuck for customer C is not possible, we'd need at least six months plus someone with frontend experience for that"

If they're looking for any other answer you don't want their job

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

alright goons, i started my first day of funemployment today, and a second offer hit my inbox this morning from a FAANG-like lite. *cracks knuckles* time to shut the gently caress up and play hardball

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat, short enough that you can prolly leave it off the ol resume

good luck

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

poo poo I missed the opportunity to say this

a second offer has hit the inbox

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

drat, short enough that you can prolly leave it off the ol resume

good luck

well yeah, when I say funemployment I mean unemployment, my start date isn't until late June, I wanted to take a big gap between jobs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah ok lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

KoRMaK posted:

well yeah, when I say funemployment I mean unemployment, my start date isn't until late June, I wanted to take a big gap between jobs

have you actually been approved yet or are you just understanding you will? idk how your state is, but i did not get my benefits for something like twelve weeks after my claim was filed. I got back-paid eventually but it was pretty rough. if the offers are good, and you can make them better, it might be good to just take the work. :shrug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mirthless posted:

I got back-paid eventually but it was pretty rough. if the offers are good, and you can make them better, it might be good to just take the work. :shrug:

please build a better emergency fund friend

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i got furloughed for 5 weeks once 6 years ago and in my (at the time) state if the furlough is less than 8 weeks or something youre exempted from the job search requirement

i got paid $400/week to go scuba diving and drinkin’ in mexico

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I meant unemployed only in the sense that I am currently not working. I'm not going to file for actual unemployment. This is basically my summer vacation

Okay so I bounced back new offers opening comp, now they are asking what my number is. Building on lessons from before, should I not say number, and if so how do I phrase that? Or do I say a number that I've come to after a couple weeks of thinking things through (as seen in this thread)?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you say "competitive" and hold it in front of you to make it through like the phial of galadriel

if they insist you just hold onto words anyways. "I'd enjoy a very material equity compensation" or somethin meaningless. brokebrain innumeracy is a material help here

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2021

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if they said a number, that's the goal when people say "don't say a number first." when they say a number, that number becomes the minimum final offer. when you say a number, it becomes the maximum. you want them to set the minimum first because you don't want to guess wrong and say a number that is below what they would have set as the minimum.

so, based on the minimum they have set, figure out what you would actually be happy with and then ask for significantly more than that. you should also bring up benefits now - I've had a lot of success getting to a number I'm happy with but then playing it as, "well, gee, i guess you can't go over that number, but I suppose I could accept some extra vacation time instead"

e: this is kind of a word salad. I'm saying that in my opinion, the goal is not to never say a number - it is to never be first to say a number.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you say "competitive" and hold it in front of you to make it through like the phial of galadriel

if they insist you just hold onto words anyways. "I'd enjoy a very material equity compensation" or somethin meaningless. brokebrain innumeracy is a material help here
thats probably good advice but i dont know how to wield it, sigh

Truman Peyote posted:

if they said a number, that's the goal when people say "don't say a number first." when they say a number, that number becomes the minimum final offer. when you say a number, it becomes the maximum. you want them to set the minimum first because you don't want to guess wrong and say a number that is below what they would have set as the minimum.

so, based on the minimum they have set, figure out what you would actually be happy with and then ask for significantly more than that. you should also bring up benefits now - I've had a lot of success getting to a number I'm happy with but then playing it as, "well, gee, i guess you can't go over that number, but I suppose I could accept some extra vacation time instead"

e: this is kind of a word salad. I'm saying that in my opinion, the goal is not to never say a number - it is to never be first to say a number.
now this i can wield. i just made a spreadsheet with all the numbers i want, and then figured out what they actually would be percentage wise over the base and then factored in what will it take me to actually want to burn this other offer and get me to move, so that whole exercise really helped me zero in on some stuff.

wrt to my response, i did a combo of what you and dobs said, didnt say a number but emphasized id like to see a material increase on base + bonus and started asking about benefits - pto, healthcare and 401k matching

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

please build a better emergency fund friend

not a lot of emergency funds could weather the year i had prior to this, haha

let's say 2020 was not a good year for Mirthless' career

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

That's where I am just now, dont start till mid June now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I gave apple some dates in July for a 6 hour remote "on-site" deal and the recruiter called to get me to move up the dates to late June. I'm sick and out of it today so I just went along with it but now that I think about it more I'm not very happy with the situation. I would like all the time I can get to study.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

KidDynamite posted:

I gave apple some dates in July for a 6 hour remote "on-site" deal and the recruiter called to get me to move up the dates to late June. I'm sick and out of it today so I just went along with it but now that I think about it more I'm not very happy with the situation. I would like all the time I can get to study.

it sucks but they may have a deadline and a lot of candidates

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fun fact: a guy I referred to my company got offered the job for the same position as me. his offer was 28% higher than I got offered 2 years ago, and more than what I’m currently being paid. my Canadian citizenship comes through v. soon, I think it might be soon time to be looking around once again.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

qhat posted:

fun fact: a guy I referred to my company got offered the job for the same position as me. his offer was 28% higher than I got offered 2 years ago, and more than what I’m currently being paid. my Canadian citizenship comes through v. soon, I think it might be soon time to be looking around once again.

i just saw a guy get an offer for the same role as me but coming from another faang and he got 3x the rsus :smith:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

tale as old as time. exact same thing prompted my last job hop

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
had an interview recently where they (extremely) wanted me to kiss their rear end about working for the company, ran me through the ringer on questions, and even pulled out the dumbass loving five ways to use a pencil question

it was for a $20/hr (not negotiable) contract job, where they treat you like a contractor forever and hold contract renewal over your head + poor/no benefits and no conversion to full term

i should have told them to shove the pencil up their rear end tbh

the gradual commoditization of the low end of IT professions into McJobs would be less irritating if every hiring manager wasn't still treating the hiring process like this. i just loving know if i was desperate enough to take this, that they'd be screaming at me for "job abandonment" the second i found something better :jerkbag:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
You can put the pencil in a museum, along with this interview question, in the "things we don't need in 2021" exhibit