Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Loan Dusty Road posted:

While this sucks and this isn’t going to take off the sting, but do you think little lots like this are going to inspect a car in more depth than you are? If the Carfax was clean and they didn’t do their own inspection and hide what they found then there wasn’t any fraud.

Now if they bought a wrecked car and fixed it up and did some title fuckery to hide it that’s another story. Do a google search on the VIN. A lot of wrecks will go through auction and you can find them posted online with post damage, prefixed pictures.

Vin came back clean. Checked with my agent too for any insurance claims. This guy knew enough to see it. This was a back yard mechanic job.

I don’t expect to actually get any cash back from this guy. I’m just really praying hoping that the alignments fine and this is a hard lesson about used cars that I can warn others about. I actually still really like the car which is what sucks. Hopefully it’s fine and I can just baby the paint job by using a car cover that’s breathable. Still handles great! Gets great gas mileage, is very comfortable. Looks great.

For reference, I work from my home office, put about 8000 miles a year on a car, and that’s including two trips from Southern Oregon to LA and a trip or two to Portland. I really don’t drive that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

bird with big dick posted:

Get a Shelby GT500.

stop

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Loan Dusty Road posted:

While this sucks and this isn’t going to take off the sting, but do you think little lots like this are going to inspect a car in more depth than you are? If the Carfax was clean and they didn’t do their own inspection and hide what they found then there wasn’t any fraud.

Now if they bought a wrecked car and fixed it up................

They didn't. This was bought at auction and they were taken by the carfax too.

I can say this with over 99% certainty, because that's how used car lots operate. If they had the ability to do that level of repairs they wouldn't be selling average used cars. They would be selling much more expensive couple-year-old luxury/sports cars that they did this to.

Maybe they COULD have seen it, but it's really unlikely they give a gently caress enough to look. All that matters is that it drives okay and their mobile detailer can make it look good. Put a price on it and move the unit. Don't think there's more to it than that. There isn't.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Vin came back clean. Checked with my agent too for any insurance claims. This guy knew enough to see it. This was a back yard mechanic job.

I don’t expect to actually get any cash back from this guy. I’m just really praying hoping that the alignments fine and this is a hard lesson about used cars that I can warn others about. I actually still really like the car which is what sucks. Hopefully it’s fine and I can just baby the paint job by using a car cover that’s breathable. Still handles great! Gets great gas mileage, is very comfortable. Looks great.

For reference, I work from my home office, put about 8000 miles a year on a car, and that’s including two trips from Southern Oregon to LA and a trip or two to Portland. I really don’t drive that much

I mean, there's knowing a lot and then there's having limited time to sell a lot of cars. I would expect my money back, at least ask earnestly

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ethanol posted:

I mean, there's knowing a lot and then there's having limited time to sell a lot of cars. I would expect my money back, at least ask earnestly

I can’t have them look at the alignment till next Wednesday, (they’re a busy good shop) and I got the car last Tuesday. I am supposed to meet up with the dealer next week because of a seal that I noted was missing (hatch) and he had on order. Today I’m certainly too worked up about it to be effective, but are you saying try to get the money back before the alignment check?

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 28, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

LionArcher posted:

I can’t have them look at the alignment till next Wednesday, (they’re a busy good shop) and I got the car last Tuesday. I am supposed to meet up with the dealer next week because of a seal that I noted was missing (hatch) and he had on order. Today I’m certainly too worked up about it to be effective, but are you saying try to get the money back before the alignment check?

I'm not familiar with the specifics, but IIRC there's a cooling off period in some states where you can ask for your $$ back within a certain number of days

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LionArcher posted:

What's the 4D chess game you are playing here?

Yes. Call them. Tell them what was found: the car was not as represented. Don't blame THEM for it, because they probably didn't know. See how they react.

You go in all guns blazing and you'll almost definitely get nothing. This is basic human interaction stuff. See what they have to say before you go on tilt with them.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Sorry I didn't catch that you already own the car, I thought you were just taking it to a mechanic and were talking about deposit. I would still try to get money back, like tomorrow if possible, don't wait. Alignment doesn't matter if you don't end up owning the car

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ethanol posted:

Sorry I didn't catch that you already own the car, I thought you were just taking it to a mechanic and were talking about deposit. I would still try to get money back, like tomorrow if possible, don't wait. Alignment doesn't matter if you don't end up owning the car

Yes I own it. I’ll call tomorrow. I think the chances of me getting my money back are slim to none.

I’ll never buy a used car again. This was like two weeks of my life stressfully researching and this was the best I found, and now I’m put right back in the hell again. Yes, this is a first world problem, but this is extremely frustrating.

People in this thread. Use my stupidity as a good lesson. PPI forever and always.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Motronic posted:

They didn't. This was bought at auction and they were taken by the carfax too.

I can say this with over 99% certainty, because that's how used car lots operate. If they had the ability to do that level of repairs they wouldn't be selling average used cars. They would be selling much more expensive couple-year-old luxury/sports cars that they did this to.

Maybe they COULD have seen it, but it's really unlikely they give a gently caress enough to look. All that matters is that it drives okay and their mobile detailer can make it look good. Put a price on it and move the unit. Don't think there's more to it than that. There isn't.

The 1% exist (I’m sure it’s much much smaller than that) unfortunately and just something to at least consider if you actually think you are a victim of fraud. But as my post explained and what you repeated, small dealers are just trying to turn and burn as much volume as they can. They aren’t paying attention to the details so fraud shouldn’t be your first concern if your $9,000 car has issues and you didn’t get a PPI prior to purchase.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I have a 2008 Saab Turbo X that I'm about to put up for sale, since the wife and I are both working from home (and will carpool even when we do go back to the office, as our hours are similar and we work near each other). So I'm not looking to buy for a bit (certainly not until the used car market returns to some semblance of normalcy).

But- when I do, I'd like to get another fun car.

Budget- around $10-12k
Location- Mobile, AL
Type of car- agnostic. 2 or 4 doors, convertible or hardtop. Preferably something from this millenium (I'd rather drive cars than work on them). Cargo space/mileage/etc is not a concern. I just want it to be fun and at least somewhat reliable. Unique/weird cars are a plus.

I've done the Miata thing for a decade, and love them, but want something different. Someone put the Fiat 500 Abarth bug in my head with the magic words "insanely fun to drive", and I'd love to find out more about it. But I'd also like other recommendations for things to try. I like weird/unique cars (see first sentence), so Camaro/Mustang/etc probably isn't in the cards.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Weird? Murano Cross Cabriolet. Don't do this

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GD_American posted:

I have a 2008 Saab Turbo X that I'm about to put up for sale, since the wife and I are both working from home (and will carpool even when we do go back to the office, as our hours are similar and we work near each other). So I'm not looking to buy for a bit (certainly not until the used car market returns to some semblance of normalcy).

But- when I do, I'd like to get another fun car.

Budget- around $10-12k
Location- Mobile, AL
Type of car- agnostic. 2 or 4 doors, convertible or hardtop. Preferably something from this millenium (I'd rather drive cars than work on them). Cargo space/mileage/etc is not a concern. I just want it to be fun and at least somewhat reliable. Unique/weird cars are a plus.

I've done the Miata thing for a decade, and love them, but want something different. Someone put the Fiat 500 Abarth bug in my head with the magic words "insanely fun to drive", and I'd love to find out more about it. But I'd also like other recommendations for things to try. I like weird/unique cars (see first sentence), so Camaro/Mustang/etc probably isn't in the cards.

Once the market calms down, you'd probably be able to find a Fiesta ST in your price range. It's gonna be better and more reliable than a Fiat.

Not really weird, but not super common either. Probably best bang for the buck fun wise besides a Miata.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 28, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Once the market calms down, you'd probably be able to find a Fiesta ST in your price range. It's gonna be better and more reliable than a Fiat.

Not really weird, but not super common either. Probably best bang for the buck fun wise besides a Miata.

Do they have the same head gasket issues as the RS?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No I don't think so, no major issues afaik. I drove one and loved it but it was just too small for my needs.

Pretty sure like half the goons in the AI Hot Hatch thread own FiSTs, that would be a good place to ask any questions about them.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

GD_American posted:

They shouldn't, the FiST shares the turbo 1.6 with a Fusion, instead of the HG mixup between the Focus 2.3 and Mustang 2.3. The Fiesta also feels less cramped inside than the Focus, despite being a tiny car.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
We're considering revamping our car situation in the next few months. We currently have a 2010 Civic and a 2017 BMW X1. The Civic runs fine and fills its purpose as generic kid hauler but it's a little busted on the inside (speakers are broken, aftermarket stereo I installed is awful, 5 years of gross kid wear and tear). I'm a little worried the BMW is a ticking time bomb of reliability issues now that our extended warrenty expired but replacing it isn't dire.

We're thinking about replacing both cars and getting a minivan as kid hauler and slightly nicer SUV as more all-purpose fun adult car. I'm open to other arrangements. I've previously toyed with the idea of a giant SUV, but they seem absurdly more expensive than a minivan and I don't really understand why.

Proposed Budget: prefer <70k out of pocket
New or Used: New or recent year used
Body Style: Minivan + SUV or SUV + sedan or SUV + SUV?
How will you be using the car?:

* We have two kids in car seats who we will be hauling to activities with a fair bit of stuff. Vacationing by car has become more of a pain because there's just too much poo poo for the back of the BMW. We spent way too long in the lead up to our camping trip optimizing space and I don't want to do that again.
* We take relatively frequent trips with two additional adults that we'd prefer to do in one car so ease of using a 3rd row is important.
* We will occasionally have to navigate OR/WA mountain passes which make AWD really attractive from a chain requirement perspective for both cars.
* I'll have somewhat frequent business trips via an airport 1.5 hours away from our house. I'd prefer to do those trips in a cushy car that's also fun to drive on weekends (decent acceleration, fun on twisty roads). It really doesn't have to be fastest car in the world, but something with a little more pizzaz than the X1 would sure be nice.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

I'd prefer something super reliable for the kid hauler. I care less about reliability for the adult car so long as it's within reason. I don't mind replacing that one in a few years. MPG should be >20mpg.

If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot.

I live in the US.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a new AWD Sienna and a CPO X3 M40 that I can get a "we cover all service" warranty on. Now please tell me why I should actually get 2 Priuses.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nomyth posted:

Proposed Budget: The big boy job I got last year is starting to give me the (over)confidence I need to look at sporty and/or legitimately hot cars and destroying their warranties with a tune as soon as I'm tempted.

For fun per $ nothing will get close to a supermoto, get a license, gear, training and a used DRZ-400SM for $5k all in.

bergeoisie posted:

Currently, I'm leaning towards a new AWD Sienna and a CPO X3 M40 that I can get a "we cover all service" warranty on. Now please tell me why I should actually get 2 Priuses.

You should look at a Macan if you can get the child seats in the back. I moaned in AI about a loaner bass Macan I had for a bit but once I'd taken it up to the mountains a couple of times it made a load more sense as an upgrade over a regular SUV, compared to when I was just trundling round town.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 28, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If it helps anyone as a data point, buying a new Ford from the factory in the UK currently has a minimum 4-5 month lead time due to covid-related shortages and delays. That's for commercial vehicles, but probably the same for others.

Also, shopping around dealers might've saved me £5k, but I'm not quite counting those chickens yet.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 28, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GD_American posted:

I think a Fiat 500 Abarth cab would work very well for you. They are not the most reliable things in the universe, but it's going to be a lot more quirky and fun than a FiST. Plus, roll top.

Minis are an option for something weirder or more unique as well, again with a reliability/cost of ownership penalty.

Hyundai Veloster has three doors and looks like a motorcycle helmet but save for the N they are not all that fun to drive IMO.

LionArcher posted:

PPI forever and always.

There's a reason that everyone in this thread is constantly loving this particular chicken. Sorry it bit you badly, though.

bergeoisie posted:

Currently, I'm leaning towards a new AWD Sienna and a CPO X3 M40 that I can get a "we cover all service" warranty on.

Why not buy a car for the second choice? It will be significantly more fun to drive than most of BMW's lovely CUVs, and they're all available with AWD for your mountain pass requirements. Whatever BMW calls the lame M-sport version of the G20 or even the F80, the Audi S4, or if you want to go a size up the S6 is pretty good. Or if you want to kick it more over towards the comfort side of the equation, there's the E-Class.

The Macan is a good choice as Knox mentioned but I think your budget is 70k for two cars, not 70k for one car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a GLC 63 S coupe

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

No, and you shouldn't worry about it anyways. The head gasket issue wasn't "there was a design issue with the engine" the issue was "the factory hosed up and put the wrong part in." I would be shocked if there were any cars left that didn't have the recall done.

bergeoisie posted:

I've previously toyed with the idea of a giant SUV, but they seem absurdly more expensive than a minivan and I don't really understand why.

Because for some reason I still don't understand, all the other millennials got together without me to decide that the new "cool car that shows you're a wealthy and interesting person" was going to be full-size SUVs and pickup trucks. I must have slept in that day. Maybe Gen Z will save us with 80s wedges again.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 28, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KillHour posted:

Because for some reason I still don't understand, all the other millennials got together without me to decide that the new "cool car that shows you're a wealthy and interesting person" was going to be full-size SUVs and pickup trucks. I must have slept in that day. Maybe Gen Z will save us with 80s wedges again.
Big car, big wife life.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

KillHour posted:

Maybe Gen Z will save us with 80s wedges again.

I hope we are so lucky :pray:

Speaking of, does anyone make small trucks anymore? My first vehicle was a '98 Ford Ranger, and I might have rose-colored nostalgia glasses because it saved my life in not one but two freak accidents, but I sometimes miss that hunk of junk and the utility of having a pickup. I would consider getting another, but the modern truck selection seems to be unilaterally and unnecessarily massive.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 28, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Speaking of, does anyone make small trucks anymore? My first vehicle was a '98 Ford Ranger, and I might have rose-colored nostalgia glasses because it saved my life in not one but two freak accidents, but I sometimes miss that hunk of junk and the utility of having a pickup. I would consider getting another, but the modern truck selection seems to be unilaterally and unnecessarily massive.

Might be the US market. There's a whole lot of big-rear end American cars that just aren't sold here, I assume the inverse is also true.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unsinkabear posted:

What I really want is a ute but I would settle for a truck like that generation of Ranger. The small trucks today are the large trucks of that era.

Because new ones don't exist there's a small culture of getting one of the last ones coming out in the 90s-00s and wrenching on it to keep it alive at all costs but I'm not a mechanic to want to get into that.

E. Ford is perpetually toying with the idea of bringing back a truck that size to the US market but realistically that idea is dead in the water because of the aforementioned bigger is better culture for people in trucks.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 28, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ford Maverick is coming out soon if all y'all want to put your money where your mouth is on small trucks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Access cab Tacoma is pretty dang small. I’m going with a Tacoma because the ranger is a) a Ford and b) more expensive when I add everything I have on my incoming Toyota

I guess there’s nothing quite as small as the first gens though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm recently in a CUV so I had every opportunity to size upgrade to a Bronco Sport already.

I totally forgot they had confirmed the Maverick for MY22. I think my brain blocked it out after I learned it was a pickup shaped Bronco and not a sexy utilitarian turn of the millenium Ranger. I'm not sure you can make a car shaped like that anymore because of safety.

This reply is typical of all the little excuses that are going to murder the Maverick in the crib.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford Maverick is coming out soon if all y'all want to put your money where your mouth is on small trucks.

Also the hyundai santa cruz if you’re feeling like a baja/brat/camino

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So is paying cash for a vehicle just a complete trap? I was genuinely surprised when I ran the numbers yesterday and even at relatively awful 7% interest rates, the finance cost is significantly less than a modest return from the market.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

So is paying cash for a vehicle just a complete trap? I was genuinely surprised when I ran the numbers yesterday and even at relatively awful 7% interest rates, the finance cost is significantly less than a modest return from the market.
Securities are very exuberant at the moment. How much do you trust markets to keep at 10-15%?

There's no right answer. Ex. banks selling car loans at 2-7% don't think securities are safe to go all in. But there are tons of car people who use their car loan as fuel to go hard into the market. I personally do my own planning on securities doing 3-5% a year which makes me treat auto loans as a wash and I let my monthly budget vs upcoming capital needs do my deciding. That means I'm leaving money on the table when the market is being dumb but my rear end won't be exposed in a recession.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There's not much reason to pay cash if you qualify for one of those stupid-low rates, like ~1% on a new car but when you're weighing a 4-6% interest rate, the calculus changes. The "modest" return from the market carries with it significant risk, don't forget, and the ~8% expected annualized return or whatever is over the long term, usually far in excess of the term you expect to be holding a car note.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Everyone I've spoken to is offering me 48 month 0% APR.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they usually add on additional doc fees and the like to still make money on the financing portion just not through interest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You also get into the wheels within wheels wealth management even at low or no interest. Does Canada have the equivalent of a Roth account? If you're in the US and aren't at the Roth limit but you're putting money into a traditional investment account, you are in most accounting plans loving up. The correct thing is to go back in time and not gently caress up and have your ducks in a row to get a 0% car loan. But if paying cash helps you restructure your monthly budget to feel safe putting what would be your car note into your Roth, I would consider that a win over putting a lump sum backstopped by your car loan into an investment account because of the differences in tax exposure.

That calculus changes again if you need that money short term for house renovation or something and there's moments you might want an investment account without being at your yearly Roth max.

A lot of this is just trying to look very busy accounting and that's why I play dumb and come at it from monthly and capital budgeting. My car money was never going to go into investments, it's in a competing pool of "poo poo gotta get done at some point" money. I'm an idiot but this makes me a happy idiot.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks for the advice, folks.

knox_harrington posted:

You should look at a Macan if you can get the child seats in the back. I moaned in AI about a loaner bass Macan I had for a bit but once I'd taken it up to the mountains a couple of times it made a load more sense as an upgrade over a regular SUV, compared to when I was just trundling round town.

Yeah, I really like the aesthetics of the Macan. My main worry was that the base model seems a little bit underpowered for the money and the S and GTS are much harder to find and tend to get out of my price range pretty fast for the used models.

KillHour posted:

Yeah, and I get it, minivans are boring. But hey, it's really loving practical and I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a boring dad who really doesn't need to tow 10,000lbs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why not buy a car for the second choice? It will be significantly more fun to drive than most of BMW's lovely CUVs, and they're all available with AWD for your mountain pass requirements. Whatever BMW calls the lame M-sport version of the G20 or even the F80, the Audi S4, or if you want to go a size up the S6 is pretty good. Or if you want to kick it more over towards the comfort side of the equation, there's the E-Class.

The Macan is a good choice as Knox mentioned but I think your budget is 70k for two cars, not 70k for one car.

I'll definitely check them out. I ruled out Audi's when considering the CUVs but I like their sedans a lot more. I really can't stand the grille of the M-sport version of the G20. The weird crosshatch thing feels even tackier than the G20 pig snout.

Yeah, I was hoping to only spend 70k additional after trade ins. I'm assuming I'll get a few grand from the Civic and 20ish from the X1. Let's assume 25k total for ease of math. I'm assuming a new Sienna will be around 35k. That leaves 60k. It puts things like a used Macan S close. I'll have to think about whether it's worth it to up the range a bit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

jokes posted:

I think they usually add on additional doc fees and the like to still make money on the financing portion just not through interest.

None so far, but they're presumably getting some money out of it. Perhaps Ford subsidises it, since 0% financing encourages people to spend more (and encourages sales in general).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bergeoisie posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to only spend 70k additional after trade ins. I'm assuming I'll get a few grand from the Civic and 20ish from the X1. Let's assume 25k total for ease of math. I'm assuming a new Sienna will be around 35k. That leaves 60k. It puts things like a used Macan S close. I'll have to think about whether it's worth it to up the range a bit.

I think you're undershooting just a hair on the Sienna. Base AWD is 37,6 MSRP including D&D, and you might want to step up to higher trim level for various reasons.

Someone on the forums got a F80 M3 for within your budget, you should do that. Although I guess it isn't AWD, so maybe a used RS5 Sportback would fit the bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bergeoisie posted:

(used) Audi S6, Genesis G70, BMW 540i.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 28, 2021