Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BeefThief posted:

Can I choose to pay my taxes to the aliens instead of the government since the government is weak as gently caress?

I'm afraid it seems like the aliens follow egalitarian/meritocratic Randian philosophy and think we haven't "earned" our reprieve from this horrid suffering world so it'll do you just about as good either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Recruitment maybe? But nobody worth their salt is going to enlist and contracting already pays better than the both actual fed work and private sector jobs so I don't get that angle either

Yeah they contract everything that demands high pay out because they aren't allowed to pay competitively. They wouldn't be able to retain people even if they got more enlistments.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm starting to think I shouldn't have clicked all the disasters in sim city when I got bored

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

This would explain a lot of poo poo. Thinking particularly wrt the account of the tic tac "pinging back and forth" above a T-shaped object just below the surface of the ocean - maybe it was a submarine projecting a hologram

https://newatlas.com/touchable-mid-air-holograms/40845/?amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

At this point it's like, what is easier to believe; that the US government has access to secret tactile holographic technology, that these are extremely hyperspecific atmospheric events that are very rare to trigger, or that there are just aliens?

It's like the aliens are the simplest explanation compared to some of the poo poo I'm seeing floated as "a possible real cause"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't buy that it's government testing because the government would inherently, you know, let their people know testing is occurring so they can get good data. They're not gonna prank themselves for laughs because they'd want the radar data for study. Would make more sense that it would be a private organization or foreign government, and if it was a special access program they wouldn't risk involving anyone not briefed in like that Carnival cruise ship.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I think these things are angels

God's angels

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

obv the hill is garbage but still - more media push

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/555761-extraordinary-explanations-for-ufos-look-increasingly-plausible

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

At this point it's like, what is easier to believe; that the US government has access to secret tactile holographic technology, that these are extremely hyperspecific atmospheric events that are very rare to trigger, or that there are just aliens?

It's like the aliens are the simplest explanation compared to some of the poo poo I'm seeing floated as "a possible real cause"

doing stuff like leaking phone recordings of a loving radar screen or posting public patents for future tech UFO navy ships without hitting the little “uhh this is secret do not post publicly” box is absolutely performative for the public and/or some adversary. There is a degree of manipulation of public perception with this stuff, to currently unknown ends.

I hope it’s aliens or something cool but will be extremely unsurprised if the end result of the recent UFO media blitz is “lol we don’t know” or some other stupid poo poo.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

it's cool though because these are the kinds of paragraphs you want to see in this, the futuristic year of 2021

"Indeed, by eliminating unlikely explanations for these mysterious phenomena, two mind-boggling explanations are increasingly plausible. Either theory – a remarkable technological leap by a foreign government or “non-human technology” at work – would have profound global implications. "

heartwarming

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

also, stop all the space exploration bullshit and find that drat underwater alien base

like stargate atlantis

that's exactly where you wanna be

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Crazy-rear end things I'm starting to expect within the next couple of years include some motherfucker successfully injecting Vitamin-C production genes back into a human being and something previously thought to be supernatural being proven real (aliens at the top of the list, but I'd accept ghosts, psychic powers, or a couple of high-profile cryptids for this one). So come on, lemme see them aliens

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

it's cool though because these are the kinds of paragraphs you want to see in this, the futuristic year of 2021

"Indeed, by eliminating unlikely explanations for these mysterious phenomena, two mind-boggling explanations are increasingly plausible. Either theory – a remarkable technological leap by a foreign government or “non-human technology” at work – would have profound global implications. "

heartwarming

If the Chinese made magic EM drives or some other reactionless drive system that would be an amazing outcome , almost as cool as aliens, because of the implications that would have for mankind being trapped on this dirt ball until we choke ourselves out with GHG

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

some motherfucker successfully injecting Vitamin-C production genes back into a human being

i don't know what this means

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If the Chinese made magic EM drives or some other reactionless drive system that would be an amazing outcome , almost as cool as aliens, because of the implications that would have for mankind being trapped on this dirt ball until we choke ourselves out with GHG

just think of how easy it will be to finish the starlink constellation with chinese made magic em drives

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

pancake rabbit posted:

it means scurvy will be a thing of the past

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

pancake rabbit posted:

sounds perfectly crazy-rear end to me

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't buy that it's government testing because the government would inherently, you know, let their people know testing is occurring so they can get good data. They're not gonna prank themselves for laughs because they'd want the radar data for study. Would make more sense that it would be a private organization or foreign government, and if it was a special access program they wouldn't risk involving anyone not briefed in like that Carnival cruise ship.

otoh the us military has a long long history of testing things on uninformed and unsuspecting people.

besides they can still get all the data to study, after all the snoopie reports are what they’re refusing to release.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

pancake rabbit posted:

Most, but not all, animals produce Vitamin C naturally. Humans are one of the animals that don't. It's believed we probably lost this ability during a point in time in which we had a fruit-heavy diet with lots of vitamin C, and thus no evolutionary pressure against losing that ability. I'm fully expecting genetic modification treatments to accelerate rapidly in audacity over the next few years, regardless of what legal or moral boundaries they may bump up against, and I'm making a called shot that someone trying to make scurvy go away through genetic modification (and at least kind of succeeding) will be a major milestone soon.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Alternatively, every human will live in eternal high school graduation ceremony vibes forever, but I consider that the less likely outcome

i'd still mark it down as a successful call on my bingo card mind you

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It is 100% not the case but if it turned out that China going quiet about EM drive research was because it worked and got classified and not because it was garbage science, I would laugh until I died.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

otoh the us military has a long long history of testing things on uninformed and unsuspecting people.

besides they can still get all the data to study, after all the snoopie reports are what they’re refusing to release.

granted, but I'd be more inclined to believe that if we had a track record of them buzzing airport towers with F117s or loving with Washington DC with SR-71s for "testing" (which would be totally analogous with stuff going on now)

Also it's 100% not EMDrive, that's bunk pseudoscience and even if it was somehow real you're not going to see the lovely micronewton levels of force being optimized to propel large craft at hypersonic speeds in like two years (not to mention many sightings were before EMDrive was even a topic of conversation)

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 16:53 on May 28, 2021

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Most, but not all, animals produce Vitamin C naturally. Humans are one of the animals that don't. It's believed we probably lost this ability during a point in time in which we had a fruit-heavy diet with lots of vitamin C, and thus no evolutionary pressure against losing that ability. I'm fully expecting genetic modification treatments to accelerate rapidly in audacity over the next few years, regardless of what legal or moral boundaries they may bump up against, and I'm making a called shot that someone trying to make scurvy go away through genetic modification (and at least kind of succeeding) will be a major milestone soon.

It would be relatively easy to do too.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Log082 posted:

It is 100% not the case but if it turned out that China going quiet about EM drive research was because it worked and got classified and not because it was garbage science, I would laugh until I died.

If this were to happen I'd quit science as a profession, just totally give up and go found a brewery somewhere.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

mycomancy posted:

If this were to happen I'd quit science as a profession, just totally give up and go found a brewery somewhere.

I'm in. i drink a lot of beer, that's half the battle.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I feel like a lot of people who discount aliens offhand aren't thinking enough about timescales. Yeah, the odds that aliens just happened to reach earth semi-recently — like, in the past 50 years or whatever — are absurdly, unimaginably slim. But what are the odds that some alien civilization, looking for planets that can sustain life, stumbled upon earth 10k years ago, or 100k years ago, or 10 million years ago? The further back you go, the higher the odds get... So just playing the odds, if aliens are flying around now, they've most likely been here for a very long time

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:14 on May 28, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Polo-Rican posted:

I feel like a lot of people who discount aliens offhand aren't thinking enough about timescales. Yeah, the odds that aliens just happened to reach earth semi-recently — like, in the past 50 years or whatever — are absurdly, unimaginably slim. But what are the odds that some alien civilization, looking for planets that can sustain life, stumbled upon earth 10k years ago, or 100k years ago, or 10 million years ago? The further back you go, the higher the odds get

id be loving pissed if i spent millions of years driving here just to run into humans tbh

they probably saw dinosaurs, went "look at these things what the heck?!", packed an overnight bag into their lovely ford and by the time they arrived it was in the middle of WW2 and now they're just sort of awkwardly doing laps around the parking lot discussing where to go next

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
This week I believe the aliens come from the ocean and not space. I will reevaluate this position on Tuesday

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Crazy-rear end things I'm starting to expect within the next couple of years include some motherfucker successfully injecting Vitamin-C production genes back into a human being and something previously thought to be supernatural being proven real (aliens at the top of the list, but I'd accept ghosts, psychic powers, or a couple of high-profile cryptids for this one). So come on, lemme see them aliens

i watched a guy on youtube crispr himself out of lactose intolerance. it didnt stick in the long term (intestinal cells have high turnover) but it did work for a few months. i was seriously impressed lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i watched a guy on youtube crispr himself out of lactose intolerance. it didnt stick in the long term (intestinal cells have high turnover) but it did work for a few months. i was seriously impressed lol

Um what? Who did that?

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

mycomancy posted:

Um what? Who did that?

i am reasoanbly sure he didnt fake this whole thing but he constantly makes it clear what hes doing is extremely unsafe

also i think i misremembered the crispr part. it was some other vector. im a liberal arts degree holder so take with a big grain of salt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FcbFqSoQY

and the 2 years later followup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoczYXJeMY4

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Think Less posted:

This week I believe the aliens come from the ocean and not space. I will reevaluate this position on Tuesday

i have also considered this option and whereas the aliens from space are cool and sexy, aliens from the ocean are deeply, existentially terrifying

i will be sticking with the chill space friends tyvm

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

i am reasoanbly sure he didnt fake this whole thing but he constantly makes it clear what hes doing is extremely unsafe

also i think i misremembered the crispr part. it was some other vector. im a liberal arts degree holder so take with a big grain of salt

If it's the guy I'm thinking of (and it appears to be), it has been reasonably pointed out that you can more reliably and potentially more permanently modify your gut flora and achieve a passable level of lactose tolerance.

Now if you want some wild stuff (and apologies for the lovely nyt source, but it's the first I found and I'm half asleep): https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/science/blindness-therapy-optogenetics.html or i guess https://www.sciencenews.org/article/blindness-retinitis-pigmentosa-gene-therapy-vision-optogenetics

We're just sticking random light-sensing proteins from entirely different branches of the tree of life into blind peoples' eyeballs to see if the brain will pick up on the new stimulus, no biggie. It requires blasting the inner eye with light of the correct wavelength which can destroy all the useful sensory cells that you could maybe repair to do the job better though lawl

We're already at some pretty wild poo poo and with everyone and their mother getting CRISPR or similar labs going now it's only a matter of time until someone tries to churn out the new scurvy-free ubermensch. I mean, assuming someone's not already significantly along in such a program somewhere.

E: Hanging out in CSpam too often makes me sound like the proud owner of a corkboard and a lot of red yarn, haha

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

several dudes have already exploded their balls with a crispr, we need more of that...lots lots more

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Yeah I don't believe that dude one bit.

Lactose intolerance is because you cant break lactose down into glucose and galactose, but bacteria can. That's why lactose intolerance triggers the shits, because your gut bacteria usually don't have access to a bunch of high-energy carbon sources like that, so the go crazy and start fermenting the lactose into CO2, lactic acid, and all manner of other things that cause pain via gas retention and diarrhea. If you're wildly vomiting after you eat lactose, you probably aren't lactose intolerant but allergic to some milk component.

Also, I have qualms about delivering adenovirus orally. There are a LOT of barriers to prevent you from being infected via your GI tract, and this would have to dodge all of them.

Finally, and this isn't evidence to it being bogus but does raise my eyebrows, if this did work then why hasn't big pharma figured this out yet and sent it to production? None of the things he described are new technologies; in fact they're all decades old. Since this isn't on the market and it's apparently easy enough for this chucklefuck to do it, that makes me think that either 1) this is the biological equivalent "stare directly into a hospital's cobalt-60 source" so companies won't touch it, or 2) it's bogus bullshit.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Saucer Hovers posted:

several dudes have already exploded their balls with a crispr, we need more of that...lots lots more

It'd be hilarious if all those stupid dingleberries mainlining garage-produced Cas9 RNPs wound up inducing an allergy to future cancer and life-extension treatments.

I'd spend my immortal life building a beacon powered by a neutron star that would broadcast a picture of Josiah Zayner with the caption "LMAO OWNED" omnidirectionally until every star went out and every black hole evaporated.

The last living thing in reality would trek to my beacon, seeking to uncover a trillion year old mystery. It would open my crypt, and my robotic form, countless aeons old, would croak out the last words uttered in this fragment of the multiverse:

"LOL"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Making drugs is the original science, maybe tied with growing plants in general or making paints

e is there a crispr machine you get in or something, is that what q people think the med bed is

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

Making drugs is the original science, maybe tied with growing plants in general or making paints

Word

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

this is now the scurvy thread

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

yarr ye landlubbers, i be needin an orange afore' i lose me last tooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If we're talking about fringe science, there is this Chinese lady who claimed to have invented gravity propulsion in the 80s, patented it, founded a company, and then left her university and vanished off the face of the Earth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ning_Li_(physicist)

Probably, she was just a fraud or deluded and did what frauds and deluded people do, which is just slink away and live in anonymity doing something else and it's just that nobody ever looks for them. Maybe she died. Or maybe things began to get very strange after that. Her job was at the University of Alabama, so I can see why someone would want to just walk away from that if they were not competitive for other physics jobs somewhere better.

I don't know poo poo about physics, so I don't know how good any of her stuff was, but there is this recent youtube video if anyone thinks it would be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_rEzKdzBA