Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've had my Vive on extension cables before (not quite that long, but still) and it worked fine, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

I thought it was pretty bad. It's amusing for a whole 90 seconds of time.

Then you didn't enjoy snake nearly as much as I did. Its snake in VR with multi-player with a really fun cute art style. you didn't enjoy it. Its not "Bad".

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Slither.io in VR? I am on loving board

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, drat, I might still try it due to my love of slither.io though

I actually love it. I'm slightly bias because I really like the devs but seriously, its fun and a game I regularly boot up for 30 or so min. Speaking of. I need to go back through and reclaim #1 on all the leaderboards. XD

With that said. Its a casual game. Its supposed to be something you pop on and play an hour or two here and there, not grind for days. So yeah, if you get "bored' at the idea of playing snake over and over with slightly different levels, duh, its not for you. But this is basically all casual games with a gameplay loop.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How is the roguelike aspect of Until You Fall? I played it briefly on Vive when it was just the fights, how much is there in terms of enemy/area/run variety? In Death was a lot of fun but the runs were far far too samey for me to play more than 7ish hours or so

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

The Walrus posted:

How is the roguelike aspect of Until You Fall? I played it briefly on Vive when it was just the fights, how much is there in terms of enemy/area/run variety? In Death was a lot of fun but the runs were far far too samey for me to play more than 7ish hours or so

The runs are very samey in Until You Fall but you can try different weapons and get different powerups which keep it kind of fresh

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Mmm subdued? It's well behind other 2d roguelikes in variety and permutations.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Anyone else finding the Quest 2 firmware updates progressively making everything worse and less stable? v23 was rock solid, v28 and v29 crash all the time.

I keep encountering this bug where when the headset wakes up from sleep it doesn't display anything other than the three loading dots, then nothing, but game/environment sounds etc are playing. If i restart the headset, it will black screen and nothing will load, even with subsequent power cycles/restarts. I have to leave the headset alone for a while and then everything's fine. though it appears to have hiccuped as it boots me back to the guardian setup. It's not heat as it gets much warmer when playing games, and this can happen at random, even when left overnight.

Also, the new menu sucks, stop trying to make me interact with facebook messenger.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pantsfree posted:

Also, the new menu sucks, stop trying to make me interact with facebook messenger.

Yeah that is pretty bad.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

If you're really good at it. You'll potentially be bored after a few clears unless you just really enjoy the combat/gameplay.

WIth that said, I still enjoy it after a dozen hours or so. It still kicks my rear end if I really get into it, and IMO the difficulty on higher settings is fuckin rough unless you're maxed out or w/e.

Its got really good gameplay. So its kinda hit or miss IMO with people for the content side. If you're a grinder you might get bored fast. But if you play a few hours here and there its a lot of content for a while. Heck I'm still having new spawns and stuff and I have some time into it. Fun game. In fact, ima boot that up later.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 28, 2021

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve also thought that a Katamari damacy type game in VR would be fun given the scales from tiny foot tall character to giant city smashing ball of crap that you go through.

Yeah I think vr needs a game about switching world/ scale on the fly, I think Katamari or something in the vein of Alice in Wonderland would be a good fit for that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

pantsfree posted:

Anyone else finding the Quest 2 firmware updates progressively making everything worse and less stable? v23 was rock solid, v28 and v29 crash all the time.

I keep encountering this bug where when the headset wakes up from sleep it doesn't display anything other than the three loading dots, then nothing, but game/environment sounds etc are playing. If i restart the headset, it will black screen and nothing will load, even with subsequent power cycles/restarts. I have to leave the headset alone for a while and then everything's fine. though it appears to have hiccuped as it boots me back to the guardian setup. It's not heat as it gets much warmer when playing games, and this can happen at random, even when left overnight.

I would say that you should install SideQuest to make a backup of your saved games and then factory reset your headset. It's solved problems before.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

Yeah I think vr needs a game about switching world/ scale on the fly, I think Katamari or something in the vein of Alice in Wonderland would be a good fit for that.

Final Approach and... shoot, one other one, kind of a base defense game, I forgot the name were very early VR games that had scale changing like that. Honestly that first couple years of VR was the best for innovation, there were some rough edges and too many wave shooters but there were a ton of cool ideas everywhere.

This Carve snowboard game is pretty fun but actually pretty difficult - getting beyond the first time medal on the first course requires good lines, good routing, and if you gently caress up in the wrong spot where you can't get momentum back you may as well just restart.

the game desperately needs AI competitors and the ability to reach out and smack them off their boards during races.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

pantsfree posted:

They will never ever stop.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve also thought that a Katamari damacy type game in VR would be fun given the scales from tiny foot tall character to giant city smashing ball of crap that you go through.

King Vidiot posted:

That, and you could control the entire game while standing in place with just your arms. Don't know how a game like that would handle the player not standing (or sitting still), and what they'd do once the ball is bigger. I imagine you'd have to scale the player up along with the ball.

I spent years building this and then just never completed it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSYm6yiqhCM

That's a fairly old version from before hand tracked controllers came out that I built on the DK2. I later added the ability to roll the ball with your hands which is pretty fun.

In both the controller and hands version I did have the player grow with the ball which works really well, although now I kinda wanna build a version where you stay the same size and operate it via remote control and teleporting or jetpacking around the level to follow it. I feel like the scale would come across even more impressively that way and it would offer a more comfortable experience for non smooth-locomotion people.

I really want to go back and finish it at some point, but I have so many easier projects that I believe in. I'd also be more inclined if I thought I could get it working on Quest but it's a real processor hog.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tip posted:

That's a fairly old version from before hand tracked controllers came out that I built on the DK2. I later added the ability to roll the ball with your hands which is pretty fun.

In both the controller and hands version I did have the player grow with the ball which works really well, although now I kinda wanna build a version where you stay the same size and operate it via remote control and teleporting or jetpacking around the level to follow it. I feel like the scale would come across even more impressively that way and it would offer a more comfortable experience for non smooth-locomotion people.

I really want to go back and finish it at some point, but I have so many easier projects that I believe in. I'd also be more inclined if I thought I could get it working on Quest but it's a real processor hog.

That is super cool

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

So, When are you going to finish this and vr clone katamari? Because this is really fuckin cool.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tip posted:

Wanna pilot that Katamari Madcat

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tip posted:

Whaaaat why would you stop building this, you should build all of this and more of it !

Seriously, that already looks really loving cool for such an early prototype. Especially at the end as it starts to get big.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Thanks everybody!

Maybe I'll return to it in a few months after I've gotten my other game out of early access and completed the VR mode for it.

It's tough because I also have a bunch of other VR prototypes and concepts that I'm really excited about, like one that's kinda half Rocket League half Gorilla Tag, but with a brand new twist on VR locomotion.

If someone would just give me a million dollars I could make everything. :(

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

KakerMix posted:

They will never ever stop.

They also seem to have removed the ability to chat/message Oculus friends from the companion app. Because it’s so much more convenient to be forced to type with a touch controller.

Edit: never mind, chat tab is back again. Seems to disappear intermittently.

pantsfree fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pantsfree posted:

They also seem to have removed the ability to chat/message Oculus friends from the companion app. Because it’s so much more convenient to be forced to type with a touch controller.

It looks like I can still type into chats on the android Oculus app, but maybe you've received some update I haven't.

As far as typing in VR I recommend hitting the mic icon and trying out the dictation, it works really well for me and makes it much less annoying to enter text.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm surprised no-one has tried swipe input, I'd have thought it would work pretty well in VR. A lot better than jabbing at keys, anyway.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
I wish PokerStars VR would at least announce they’re working on craps (and maybe roulette). It’s such an obvious thing I have to believe they are, I just…need it.

I guess the UI for all the different bets might be tricky, but I have faith.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Curious if anyone here has had issues/fix with with Oculus Link accessing their library on their computer. Using both wireless and wired, any time I select my library icon in link, everything freezes for a moment and then the "link" environment reloads. It's been a little while since I've used Link, but it was working fine a few weeks back.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been setting up my Quest 2 and my PC tonight and have been met with nothing but frustration. I can't get any game to work, from Steam at least.

I have the set and my computer connected with a USB-C to USB-3.0 cable. It works for all the native Quest 2 stuff like the virtual home. Oculus Link is loaded and running. SteamVR is installed. I try to load No Man's Sky (opinions differ on this, but I got it on sale and wanted to try it in VR) in VR mode and it works - only the first time. Every time after that, when I try to load the game, the view on the headset is only an endless void saying No Man's Sky is next up. I hear the game music playing, and the game is being displayed on my monitor, only in the top left corner of it. It won't display anything in the vr headset itself besides the loading component. The small portion that is being displayed on the monitor is laggy and is sort of responding to the movements of my head and controllers. I've tried reinstalling, restarting the computer, restarting the Quest 2, that hasn't helped.

What can I do about this?

I have a second problem too, but it's redundant if I can't use the vr set in the first place. The headset will, at completely random intervals, disconnect and stop everything. That's what stopped me from playing NMS in the first place. I don't know what to do about that. The only thing that comes up when searching for it is the suggestion to disconnect the cable when it's at max charge. However, I need the cable plugged in to play games on the computer! Besides, the Oculus program says its at 53% charge - and that hasn't changed all night for some reason.

I'll take any help I can get. I really don't want to surrender and return the thing.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 29, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I heard about this Neptune device from Valve. God I wish they hurry up with it.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I just realized that since I upgraded to Quest 2 I have two vive wands lying around not doing anything. Can I combine their tracking with the Quests to do full body tracking somehow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I just realized that since I upgraded to Quest 2 I have two vive wands lying around not doing anything. Can I combine their tracking with the Quests to do full body tracking somehow?

If you've got the lighthouses still, it's possible to reflash the wands with the tracker firmware and fudge it together with your Quest with a bit of software that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head. For full-body tracking you need three trackers though (hips, and each foot).

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've got the lighthouses still, it's possible to reflash the wands with the tracker firmware and fudge it together with your Quest with a bit of software that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head. For full-body tracking you need three trackers though (hips, and each foot).

Yeah, I still have the lighthouses up. I am going to try and figure this out then.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But, isn't the more important part the game support? It will only work if the devs bothered in supporting the option right? How many games do it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kikas posted:

The Psychonauts VR game has this as you jump to different people's perspectives. Unfortunately it's not very good, apparently it was an early VR game and it's aged quite badly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Party Boat posted:

The Psychonauts VR game has this as you jump to different people's perspectives. Unfortunately it's not very good, apparently it was an early VR game and it's aged quite badly.

I liked it a fair bit. I mean, yeah the entire thing is limited to jumping to different perspectives for two hours, but it gets a good mileage of that. The characters are fun, the art is pretty.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Node posted:

I've been setting up my Quest 2 and my PC tonight and have been met with nothing but frustration. I can't get any game to work, from Steam at least.

I have the set and my computer connected with a USB-C to USB-3.0 cable. It works for all the native Quest 2 stuff like the virtual home. Oculus Link is loaded and running. SteamVR is installed. I try to load No Man's Sky (opinions differ on this, but I got it on sale and wanted to try it in VR) in VR mode and it works - only the first time. Every time after that, when I try to load the game, the view on the headset is only an endless void saying No Man's Sky is next up. I hear the game music playing, and the game is being displayed on my monitor, only in the top left corner of it. It won't display anything in the vr headset itself besides the loading component. The small portion that is being displayed on the monitor is laggy and is sort of responding to the movements of my head and controllers. I've tried reinstalling, restarting the computer, restarting the Quest 2, that hasn't helped.

I have a second problem too, but it's redundant if I can't use the vr set in the first place. The headset will, at completely random intervals, disconnect and stop everything. That's what stopped me from playing NMS in the first place. I don't know what to do about that. The only thing that comes up when searching for it is the suggestion to disconnect the cable when it's at max charge. However, I need the cable plugged in to play games on the computer! Besides, the Oculus program says its at 53% charge - and that hasn't changed all night for some reason.

I'll take any help I can get. I really don't want to surrender and return the thing.

I've had that and unfortunately it all came down to my pc being too poo poo for VR like this. Both Oculus and Steam is a massive overhead for any game, and NMS isn't as optimised as you'd think.
Once I switched from my i5 4690 and 8gb DDR3 memory to a new Ryzen 5 3600 and 16gb DDR4 it all just started working. Same cables, same setup, just new hardware (my Windows 10 install even survived the whole switch and ran just as soon as I plugged in the drive). My GTX1060 is still good enough for VR, I just never realised how badly bottlenecked it was by my other parts. Now I can crank NMS up to High and runs like a dream.
Gotta reinstall Alyx and see how it should have been played, not struggle with configuration every 30 minutes to make it run decently on low.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Node posted:

I don't know how you're launching the game but I've had issues with some games refusing to launch and play properly unless I launch them from within the SteamVR home environment. Most games you can just launch straight from steam and it'll start up SteamVR and put you directly into the game but some don't seem to like that. Maybe try launching SteamVR first and then launching the game from within that, assuming you aren't already doing that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Node posted:

Does it work with other games? Do games you install directly to the headset have similar problems? Maybe try one of those free Valve VR tech demos to test with. I assume if NMS works once then it's playable in VR under your system specs, so for one option, the good news is you don't need to have it tethered with a cable, they just added Airlink to the Oculus firmware recently so you can try connecting to your PC via WiFi and see if that works better.

Second option is to try Virtual Desktop which has worked well for me and is recommended by most people in this thread (and streamlines loading of games from your SteamVR library) but it costs money sand in not sure if you're up to dropping another $15 on something that might not work. It might be refundable if it doesn't, though? I'm not sure.

Other than that it might be a matter of your headset being defective, which hopefully isn't the case.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 29, 2021

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I definitely get the 'black screen but hear games' situation when i'm launching a steamVR game from Oculus Link, but it works okay once i've manually started steamVR, even launching the games from the link desktop. ALVR is a working, free solution for streaming steamVR stuff directly as well, you have to sideload an APK but it's lightweight and effective in my experience. No idea about the intermittent cutting out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I liked psychonauts, but the scale was all wonky, it seemed like you were in a little diorama area, not a massive undersea vortex. There's some fun bits though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Node posted:

I have a second problem too, but it's redundant if I can't use the vr set in the first place. The headset will, at completely random intervals, disconnect and stop everything.

Really long shot here but on the chance it could be, is this a ryzen machine with an old bios? I think maybe it was only on x570 chipsets, but maybe some of the other ones too, there was a whole 'USB random disconnect' thing that was only recently fixed.

It was a problem for me, so it can happen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Node posted:

If you are using Link, the random disconnects could be because the usb connection quality.

The charge issue is more strange, I never had that problem. It always charges to 100% in ~90 minutes.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Kikas posted:

This also describes some of Asgard's Wrath. You switch between your larger scale view as a god and your control of your avatar/champion. When in the large scale view you can do things to arrange the world to solve puzzles and open paths for your avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Yeah, I still have the lighthouses up. I am going to try and figure this out then.

This works but be ready to resync your playspace a bit regularly while playing things. 3 or 4 times an hour if I'm moving a ton typically. If i'm just standing still dancing in vrchat, once or twice an hour.