Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oldstench posted:

I'm sure the modders will have a working fix for the bp mod within 4-6 hours of the patch being released.

But I want it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I just started researching purple science and got started on automating mk3 belts/sorters. I guess I don't mind having to restart at this point, it'll fix a lot of my beginner mistakes at least. Like so much wasted iron and coal, and a huge farm of rocks to silicon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IMO the second you get mk3s focus on automating them. Mk3 sorters are especially easy to get going early and they really help during the spaghetti phase.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

God I hope the new update doesn't break saves. I'm too far in a new game to go back.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

SettingSun posted:

God I hope the new update doesn't break saves. I'm too far in a new game to go back.

The update says you'll need a fresh session to use any of the new content.

Also, some recipes are probably getting changed.

Also, Multibuild mod will break.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

zoux posted:

IMO the second you get mk3s focus on automating them. Mk3 sorters are especially easy to get going early and they really help during the spaghetti phase.

I started making green motors on my lava planet but then got tunnel vision and tried to get interstellar transport first so I don't have to planet hop with an inventory full of stuff. Then realized I probably don't need 100 of them right now lol so I switched to focus on producing purple instead.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Sucks that the new patch is killing saves. What are the highlights of the update? If it just adds that mod I already have, I'll avoid this update until I finish my current game

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Grevlek posted:

Sucks that the new patch is killing saves. What are the highlights of the update? If it just adds that mod I already have, I'll avoid this update until I finish my current game

It's not killing saves, you just won't get the new world types generated in an existing universe. The only impact to existing saves will be changes to recipes and (temporary) mod incompatibility.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grevlek posted:

Sucks that the new patch is killing saves. What are the highlights of the update?
Copy inserters, multiple foundation colors, “new planets”, and some sort of online leaderboard.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm holding off for a bit myself, but real blueprints will hopefully be coming. For now even "just" a mass-build option like this is a huge QOL improvement for most users. Probably spent half my playtime on those damned offset sorters.

Blueprints really make it boring and when I use the MultiBuild + Blueprint mod right now I usually don't even bother with the blueprinting, just care more about sorter copying and multibuild.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Oldstench posted:

I'm sure the modders will have a working fix for the bp mod within 4-6 hours of the patch being released.

As long as they have it done in less time it takes to get my new savegamet to the point where I need a blueprint

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

The game having multiple worlds really cuts back on sperg paralysis imho. In Factorio and Satisfactory I worry a lot about scalability and being optimal. What is my plan for hour X after I get technology Y and need product Z?

In DSP I'm content to string things along and iterate because there are other worlds to develop later.

That being said the game kinda needs enemies or more pushback on player development. I don't feel as much urgency to expand and grow as I do in the other games, so much so that I'm content to walk away with the game running while it spools up a few thousand research.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 25, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is this new content coming ?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"this week"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I put my game on hold until the new patch. My anticipation of a new game will make playing it much sweeter and I get to avoid burnout.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Gameko posted:

That being said the game kinda needs enemies or more pushback on player development. I don't feel as much urgency to expand and grow as I do in the other games, so much so that I'm content to walk away with the game running while it spools up a few thousand research.

I really hope they don't do anything like this. Or, if they do, they make it entirely, 100%, even in recipes, optional. I like DSP as a bonsai tree game, I don't need every game in existence to motivate me through stress.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Zurai posted:

I really hope they don't do anything like this. Or, if they do, they make it entirely, 100%, even in recipes, optional. I like DSP as a bonsai tree game, I don't need every game in existence to motivate me through stress.

I agree.

I might be a scrub, but I've never been at a point where I can think "boy I sure don't have anything to do"

I KNOW there is something unoptimized, or I could do better, or a planet backing up production. There is no better motivator in this game then KNOWING you are slightly sub optimal

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Grevlek posted:

I agree.

I might be a scrub, but I've never been at a point where I can think "boy I sure don't have anything to do"

I KNOW there is something unoptimized, or I could do better, or a planet backing up production. There is no better motivator in this game then KNOWING you are slightly sub optimal

Same. I'm old. Let me chill out and be old and just relax with some optimization and robots.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

TehSaurus posted:

Same. I'm old. Let me chill out and be old and just relax with some optimization and robots.

:same:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They said they got a combat patch in the future, but hopefully they don't make that mandatory. It might be fun to gently caress occasionally with but I turn off biters in Factorio

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I imagine it would probably be something more passive-based rather than aggressive based. i.e. far-flung hostile planets with unique resources that if you want to take over you'll build missile frigates and bomb the poo poo out of nests or airdrop tanks and clear them out, rather than having aliens constantly invade your planets at a whim and break your poo poo over and over. i don't see them doing the aggressive-factorio combat design where anything you have anywhere in the universe at risk of invasion at any time.

in any case i'm sure there'll be mods to remove it, probably even option for it.

I actually expect it's not going to make the cut into the final game anyways. It seems like an item added early-on in some form of marketing/selling point wishlist like oh we're going to have this and that and this and that and x and y and z. They probably haven't really started and if they do start, I think they'll be pretty overwhelmed and nix it. It's a shitload of work to implement whereas this game is like 95% complete already and ready to ship out the door. There's no systems in place for building health and repairing, there's not good system for pathing dozens of enemy units across terrain at once, not really a system for attack or RTS-style move-attack, probably not a system for real projectile and hitbox stuff and the like. I really just don't see it happening for how small the team is. It's just such a massive amount that would need to be done to make it work and I just don't see it given how the game is virtually complete as it is. The best I can see is sort of a abstracted resource tug-of-war way of sending the equivalent of launching Dyson Sails into the Sun, except at hostile, rather than setting up walls and turrets and refueling them with ammo factories.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 26, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is it possible to mod out the noise the ray receivers make? Every time I'm working near one I have to hit mute because that humming drone drives me insane

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Xaris posted:

I imagine it would probably be something more passive-based rather than aggressive based. i.e. far-flung hostile planets with unique resources that if you want to take over you'll build missile frigates and bomb the poo poo out of nests or airdrop tanks and clear them out, rather than having aliens constantly invade your planets at a whim and break your poo poo over and over.

Reading the reactions to my post I immediately though the same thing. Put alien infestations on planets for you to invade when you want. Better yet give the infestation a radius where they'll invade worlds until you knock out the primary nest.

Tuning the enemy type feels difficult in a game that is already very chill. Maybe make it some type of robot trying to colonize be system. That would give a reasonable in-game reason for them to occupy space quite methodically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I posted this in the thread that I thought was the dsp thread, but I did not

https://twitter.com/DysonProgram/status/1397894844668727298

Solomonic wisdom from the devs

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Patch out.

Looks like oil deposits will now deplete.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Patch out.

Haha that could be an enourmous change

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Depletion of oil is very significant! Wish I were home so I could jump right into it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Time to make a planet totally covered in tanker stacks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I play again I think I’m going to do “no terraforming”

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LifeSunDeath posted:

Time to make a planet totally covered in tanker stacks.
Maybe. The note kind of hints that the harder you suck it out, the slower the flow gets or something.

Edit: maybe not

. Crude oil is now a consuming resource. Collecting crude oil will gradually reduce the production of blowout wells down to a minimum of 0.1/s. The rate of decline is now related to the resource magnification setting and mineral utilization level.

. Increased the production of crude oil blowout wells in the beginning planet and reduced the production of crude oil blowout wells in distant planets

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 28, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Patch out.

Oh wow, that's huge. No more oil power for me once organic crystals get figured out, apparently, and there goes an easy hydrogen and graphite source without doing fire ice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Chinese translation on those notes is adorable

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I hope the No Tutorial Guy mod is updated by the time I get home, listening to a person read machine translations in perfectly accented American english is really grating.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
Yeah, not sure how I feel about this change: oil was basically infinite in Factorio because the map was infinite. You could always find more oil spots to tap.

Here, though, the cluster is finite, which means there's kind of a limit to how much you can exploit oil. This also makes it somewhat easier to screw yourself before warpers if you take too long using it for power on your home planet before then.

Pyre File fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 28, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I never use oil for power. Well except when I'm burning it as waste, but that's incidental. Use coal.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Guarantee it was a Fiverr job of some form on the VA.

Also, for those who aren't in the management thread, new smelters are 2x speed for:
1x normal smelter
5x frame material
4x plane filter
15x unipolar magnets

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
Factorio was kind of developed in the opposite direction: nobody used oil for power at first because of all the refined products required for other things. So they rejiggered a science recipe to use medium oil directly to show that, no actually, it's okay to use some oil for power if you set things up right.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't hate on the VA at all. In fact I love it. Welcome to the Actual Universe!

The oil change doesn't bother me at first blush, but I'll see over the weekend when I get a game going.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I can't hate on the VA at all. In fact I love it. Welcome to the Actual Universe!

The oil change doesn't bother me at first blush, but I'll see over the weekend when I get a game going.

It’s mostly that it triggers tutorial messages constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Does it? I get each relevant tutorial once and then nothing for the rest of the game.