Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Overall, the devs did more right than wrong throughout the patch history IMO. About the one thing I won't stop bitching about was the change to battle-length buff abilities in Endless Harvest. LAwnmower Leper cutting down the waves was a goddamn treasure, especially after how he spent almost the entire history of the game being maligned before CoM's release made him the King of the Farmstead. And then they had to nerf it. :(

Also, in terms of fun-looking mods, some absolute madman managed to use assets from the similar game Warsaw to let you fight Lost-in-Time-and-Space nazis:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2408180864

There's even a bossfight against an "Eldritch Mechanical Thing." (It's a Panzer IV. :allears:)

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I decided I really wanted to make a character of mine as a playable class, so I guess this is a thing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Neat. Looking forward to it!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ditto. What's the idea behind them?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Samovar posted:

Ditto. What's the idea behind them?

As of right now I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking of them as a character specifically meant for being anti-riposte and anti-guard, with specific focus on ranged fighting and having changes of attack states if becoming afflicted or virtuous. If you mean the character, he's just... The Sentinel. I don't have much more than that, and I try to not write much about him even now because he's cooler the less known. The best I can say is that he's meant to fix a broken world, but has been sent here instead somehow and is trying to find a way back.

Anyway, more progress, with the legs in place now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Looks like one of those assassins from 40K.

Edit: Sorry, just realised that sounds as if I'm calling you unoriginal, that's not my intent.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/nm5ovf/dd2_news_the_pc_gamer_article_is_out_and_with_it/

Someone on Reddit scanned the PCGamer article with all the new info on Darkest Dungeon 2. Sounds more roguelike-ish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

InnercityGriot posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/nm5ovf/dd2_news_the_pc_gamer_article_is_out_and_with_it/

Someone on Reddit scanned the PCGamer article with all the new info on Darkest Dungeon 2. Sounds more roguelike-ish.

Salient points:

* Intended to be much more of a roguelike, and shorter than DD1's campaign.

* Five act story, boss fight at the end of each.

* Characters have much more personality and aren't disposable this time - they can die, but this is no longer meant to be a meat grinder.

* General concept is a wagon train to the mouth of madness, the wagon train serves as your home base.

* Confirmed returning classes: grave robber, occultist, plague doctor, man at arms, leper, jester, hiwayman, and hellion. At least one new class. All classes have many more skills than before.

* Accuracy has been removed. Intent is to make combat feel more like a puzzle, and less reliant on luck.

* Tone is intended to be more hopeful - still dark and bleak, but you *can* make a difference and you *can* save the day despite the odds and the cost.

* The story concept is that after the end of DD1, you play a group of adventurers setting out from the hamlet towards a mysterious mountain in a wagon train. Nothing further about why you're going there or what you'll find beyond "The Ancestor isn't done being a horrible rear end in a top hat yet."

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 28, 2021

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

* Tiny heads.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
At least they understood why everyone only took +Accuracy trinkets.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Cool. With so many changes it probably won't really be directly comparable to darkest dungeon, but it sounds like it might be good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So for classes missing we're looking at Antiquarian, Arbalest, Abomination, Bounty Hunter, Crusader, Houndmaster, Vestal, Flagellant, and Shieldbreaker

Antiquarian probably gets cut if the campaign is more focused and you don't need a 'collector' unit to build up resources. The others are a bit of an odd mix of characters not to be returning though. I wonder if they're going to be doing something with the 'Religious' characters being dead or turning against the group since the only one who's confirmed is the Leper.

Looking forward to it though RIP best boi Abomination

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing the head dev specifically addressed is that he knows how a lot of people never finished DD1 due to how long and grindy the game got. His intention with 2, then, is to have a shorter campaign with more replay value via branching paths in the journey. You're always heading for the mountain, but you'll have some choices about how exactly to get there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

So for classes missing we're looking at Antiquarian, Arbalest, Abomination, Bounty Hunter, Crusader, Houndmaster, Vestal, Flagellant, and Shieldbreaker

Antiquarian probably gets cut if the campaign is more focused and you don't need a 'collector' unit to build up resources. The others are a bit of an odd mix of characters not to be returning though. I wonder if they're going to be doing something with the 'Religious' characters being dead or turning against the group since the only one who's confirmed is the Leper.

Looking forward to it though RIP best boi Abomination

The 9 confirmed classes aren't a complete roster, there will probably be more returning classes added over time.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
My main concern is what switching to 3D mean for mods. Some of the most fun I had was with modded classes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I re-read the interview, and they made a note about combat: they don't like what could happen in DD1 where a less-than-perfect fight early in the dungeon could doom you in the long haul. They want to make individual battles more intense and interesting, with less emphasis on long haul dungeons where you can get ground down.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know how I feel about that. I think it may depend on the plot. Long haul and the war of attrition grinding you down was narratively and thematically significant in the first game. It wasn't just a gameplay choice made in a vacuum, it was the gameplay reinforcing and representing the themes of the narrative.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm kinda happy they are lightening off on the drudgery elements of the game/narrative. Like it was good and thematic and hit the tone perfectly but God drat was that tone oppressive and genuinely caused moments of dread and bad feelings.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
My expectations have been tempered significantly by learning they outright removed everything unique about Darkest Dungeon that people complained about :v: would have been happier if they just made accuracy less important and the campaign significantly shorter instead of a single run deal.
also the characters lookin' real Todd McFarlane when embiggened to more human proportions.

Also I feel like "character refuses to obey you because they're in a bad mood or hate another party member" is a bad recipe when combined with knowing for certain whether an attack would have succeeded or not had your own dude not decided to say gently caress it, lmao

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 28, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm ok with it being different enough to be unique from the first one. Then maybe I'll play them both instead of one of them just being better than the other.

But I'm one of the weirdos that loves Zelda 2 on the NES just as much as the original.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's impossible to say until we actually see how this plays but everything I've seen so far seems reasonable. I never finished a DD1 campaign as they were just so long I end up putting the game down and when I picked it back up a few months later I'd start over again.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Looks good to me so far, a few surprising things but a lot of reassuring changes. I have said before that the core combat in DD1 is great, but the strategy side of things was merely okay and I didn't really have any attachment to the Hamlet or stuff like that. One thing I really, really like from the article is them dropping hit and dodge %s and moving to easier-to-predict outcomes. I thought Into the Breach did a wonderful job showing you can still have challenging, decision-driven combat without all the RNG and percentages. IIRC, the only % in Into the Breach was a small chance that damage to your health would be ignored - so the only RNG is a small chance for things to go your way. Everything negative that can happen to you in ITB is clearly communicated - no damage ranges, no crit hit chances, no % chance to apply a status effect, etc. I think DD's combat will be well-served by moving away from RNG and towards these kinds of design goals

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not sure how I feel about the changes. I got so used to the proportions that making them more 'normal' looks weird. The token system is interesting but I was hoping for more of a hybrid system; like you have trinkets that have a base effect but you can activate them X times in a battle/mission /etc for an additional effect.

I do like the suggestion of affinities though. A lot of fun of the game is putting together a party and setting up synergies and I hope they really expand on that.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Count Uvula posted:

My expectations have been tempered significantly by learning they outright removed everything unique about Darkest Dungeon that people complained about :v: would have been happier if they just made accuracy less important and the campaign significantly shorter instead of a single run deal.
also the characters lookin' real Todd McFarlane when embiggened to more human proportions.

Also I feel like "character refuses to obey you because they're in a bad mood or hate another party member" is a bad recipe when combined with knowing for certain whether an attack would have succeeded or not had your own dude not decided to say gently caress it, lmao

This is my feelings as well. Going to keep an eye on it of course, not declaring it crap or anything. But the oppressive, grinding campaign where everyone was am expendable asset to be used and discarded was one of the big resons I loved the first game.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

rideANDxORdie posted:

Looks good to me so far, a few surprising things but a lot of reassuring changes. I have said before that the core combat in DD1 is great, but the strategy side of things was merely okay and I didn't really have any attachment to the Hamlet or stuff like that. One thing I really, really like from the article is them dropping hit and dodge %s and moving to easier-to-predict outcomes. I thought Into the Breach did a wonderful job showing you can still have challenging, decision-driven combat without all the RNG and percentages. IIRC, the only % in Into the Breach was a small chance that damage to your health would be ignored - so the only RNG is a small chance for things to go your way. Everything negative that can happen to you in ITB is clearly communicated - no damage ranges, no crit hit chances, no % chance to apply a status effect, etc. I think DD's combat will be well-served by moving away from RNG and towards these kinds of design goals

yeah, it felt to me like you needed to have a perfect team with exactly the traits needed for that zone and you still needed a ton of luck to win. Every encounter was a slow grind of damage and stress and there was only so much you could do to mitigate it. Exploring wasn't so much fun when I just felt like I had to bee-line it to the goals before either hunger or a random encounter made victory impossible. I like the dark tone and the risk/reward of exploration as a concept, just not one where a single RNG or human error screwed the entire expedition.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rydiafan posted:

I'm ok with it being different enough to be unique from the first one. Then maybe I'll play them both instead of one of them just being better than the other.

But I'm one of the weirdos that loves Zelda 2 on the NES just as much as the original.

This is my stance. I enjoy original Darkest Dungeon. Darkest Dungeon 2 looks like it's trying to be its own thing, and hopefully it will be good by its own merits.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Any mod recommendations to make the game a little less grindy? I'm not looking to breeze through it or anything, but the work to get new recruits back up to max level just so they can die to an unlucky roll really gets boring after, like, the 50th or so time. I've already turned off all the pro-grind options.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think if you save edit a bunch of crests and portraits and whatever you can upgrade the stage coach to just start off with higher level dudes. The main limiter in progress is a combination of gold and antiques so just remove the antiques, and keep gold as your gate keep, should lessen the grind significantly while still giving you a number to make go up.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I’m cautiously optimistic but I can’t say I’m thrilled with the switch to 3D along with the more realistic proportions. They better have Wayne June back, or else.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I’m cautiously optimistic but I can’t say I’m thrilled with the switch to 3D along with the more realistic proportions. They better have Wayne June back, or else.

I read that he's confirmed in a few places, and he voiced the trailer, plus he made the game what it was so I reckon so. One source: https://darkestdungeon.fandom.com/wiki/Darkest_Dungeon_II

Did I misread the PC Gamer article or are they releasing on early access the first act, with the next 4 being added in future updates? If so I'm waiting for the complete journey before buying. Then again I'll probably hold off buying on Epic, despite a tenner off voucher.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe not the best thread for this, but having enjoyed DD, Warsaw and Iratus, are there any other similar games that one could enjoy?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mans posted:

Maybe not the best thread for this, but having enjoyed DD, Warsaw and Iratus, are there any other similar games that one could enjoy?

Star Traders: Frontiers is a mechanics dense game with an event log that you can let wash over you in story and healthbars decriments.

The character combat is basic compared to the three you posted, but your ship as your hamlet really makes decision making cool.

Also it's like Dune space not Mass Effect space. That's p cool.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Mans posted:

It if you are okay with a bit of Slay the Spire mixed in I would check out Trials of Fire. It is less 1-to-1 similar to DD as those others but scratched a similar itch for me in a way but with more run based 1 or 2 session campaigns.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mans posted:

I cant remember the name and im not home right now but there was a game set in space where you salvage derelict spaceships that felt similar to dd. It didnt stick with me but you may like it.

Im sure someone will know the name before i can find it in my library

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kly posted:

Im sure someone will know the name before i can find it in my library

deep sky derelicts. owned, noob

and yeah it's similar-ish but with card game elements

legend of keepers is also kind of similar if you squint.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cythereal posted:

Salient points:

* Intended to be much more of a roguelike, and shorter than DD1's campaign.

* Five act story, boss fight at the end of each.

* Characters have much more personality and aren't disposable this time - they can die, but this is no longer meant to be a meat grinder.

* General concept is a wagon train to the mouth of madness, the wagon train serves as your home base.

* Confirmed returning classes: grave robber, occultist, plague doctor, man at arms, leper, jester, hiwayman, and hellion. At least one new class. All classes have many more skills than before.

* Accuracy has been removed. Intent is to make combat feel more like a puzzle, and less reliant on luck.

* Tone is intended to be more hopeful - still dark and bleak, but you *can* make a difference and you *can* save the day despite the odds and the cost.

* The story concept is that after the end of DD1, you play a group of adventurers setting out from the hamlet towards a mysterious mountain in a wagon train. Nothing further about why you're going there or what you'll find beyond "The Ancestor isn't done being a horrible rear end in a top hat yet."

All this sounds fantastic. The tone part is whatever, i didn't have an issue with the tone DD was going for, but I did like the thing where party members could become inspired or whatever instead of insane, so I did like when the tone shifted from how bleak it could be. I hope they don't change that too much though, DD had a very good style. Though really as long as they keep the battle animations and sound effects feeling as impactful as they do in the first one, that's what's most important.

I really like what I'm seeing there regarding the difficulty or at least how punishing DD2 will be compared to one. I LOVED the first one, don't get me wrong, absolutely adored it. But I never even came close to finishing it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dear mushroom men,

Please stop groping my leper.

Love,

Cyth

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Cythereal posted:

Dear mushroom men,

Please stop groping my leper.

Love,

Cyth

They see in him a kindred spirit

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neurion posted:

They see in him a kindred spirit

I just barely avoided losing him on that trip into the Weald. >_> And I still came home with a newly masochistic vestal.

I like the thematic idea of the Weald, but mechanically that place can eat a bag of dicks. My least favorite part of DD not counting Crimson Court which I usually just turn off. Bringing a plague doctor helps (when doesn't it, my favorite class in DD), but still, ugh.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Noir89 posted:

Just dropping by to say that after tonight, gently caress the weald. Burn the entire lovely place to the ground and nothing of value would be lost. It's a mountain of lovely animals and mushroom-covered idots and the crazy old ladie getting high on them. And on this lovely mountain of crap stands a single figure, aptly named Hateful Virago. Reaching the Hag Witch was a relief. 3 loving viragos on the way over there, the next group worse than the one before. Took 3 tries until i finally managed to kill the witch.

This old post of mine still holds true about my feelings for the Weald :v: