Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should cast Mark Dacascos as Miguel’s father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ruddiger posted:

:bisonyes:

Also, work Michael Dudikoff and Cynthia Rothcock in there somehow.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ruddiger posted:

They should cast Mark Dacascos as Miguel's father, but his character doesn't know martial arts and never fights on the show. He's just there for sad, intense conversations about abandonment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Found this on Snopes of all places and didn't see it posted here but they've transcribed Johhny's ALL CAPS FACEBOOK MESSAGE to Ally from S3. I'm gonna leave it in its original formatting.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cobra-kai-facebook-message/

"Johhny Lawrence, Founder, Eagle Fang Karate posted:

AND THEN IN 1992, IRON EAGLE 3 CAME OUT. YOU KNOW WHAT? I DON’T CARE WHAT THE CRITICS SAY, I THOUGHT IT WAS PRETTY GOOD. NOT AS GOOD AS IRON EAGLE 1 AND IRON EAGLE 2, BUT HEY, WHAT MOVIE IS? I THINK WAYNE’S WORLD WAS THAT YEAR TOO. THAT ONE WAS OKAY. THOSE NERDS HAD GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC, AND THE CHICK WAS HOT. WHAT WAS SHE DOING WITH HIM? HOW COME THE HOT CHICKS GO FOR THE LOSERS IN THESE MOVIES? ANYWAY, OTHER THAN THAT 1992 WAS A PRETTY QUIET YEAR. GOT FIRED AGAIN, BUT WHAT THE HELL DO THEY KNOW. I DIDN’T LIKE CONSTRUCTION ANYWAY. THEY ALL SPEAK SPANISH AND I’M PRETTY SURE THEY WERE MAKING FUN OF ME SOMETIMES. DO YOU KNOW WHAT A “GRINGO” IS? I STARTED LEARNING A LITTLE BIT OF SPANISH FROM MIGUEL AND HIS FAMILY. I KNOW “HOLA”, “PLANTAIN”, “TACO” AND “DINERO.” PRETTY GOOD, HUH? WHERE WAS I? OH, RIGHT, 1993. THERE WAS THAT DINOSAUR MOVIE. PRETTY GOOD FOR THE NINETIES. I MEAN, NOT ANYWHERE NEAR WHAT WE HAD BACK IN THE DAY. REMEMBER PREDATOR? THAT MOVIE WAS BADASS! THIS DINOSAUR THING WAS PRETTY COOL BUT TOO MUCH SCIENCEY STUFF FOR ME. I GUESS YOU PROBABLY LIKED THAT THOUGH, RIGHT? I MEAN, YOU’RE A DOCTOR NOW. I COULD NEVER BE A DOCTOR. NOT AFTER THAT INCIDENT AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (I TALKED ABOUT THAT A COUPLE PARAGRAPHS AGO, DOES FACEBOOK LET YOU GO BACK AND REREAD?) STILL THINK THEY OVERREACTED. ALL THE GREAT SCIENTISTS SET THINGS ON FIRE, RIGHT? LIKE EINSTEIN OR WHOEVER. ANYWAY, 1993. DUTCH GOT ARRESTED. THAT ONE WAS PRETTY STUPID. I WAS DRUNK FOR MOST OF IT, BUT I’M PRETTY SURE HE HOTWIRED A GOLF CART FROM THE COUNTRY CLUB. I LOOKED UP FROM THE BAR AND DUTCH IS DRIVING THIS THING AT HIGH SPEED, OR I GUESS AS HIGH AS SOMETHING LIKE THAT CAN GO, AND CRASHES IT INTO THE POOL! THEY HAD TO BRING A CRANE IN TO GET IT OUT. HE DID SOME TIME BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! ANYWAY, I DON’T THINK I’VE BEEN BACK TO THE COUNTRY CLUB SINCE THEN. SID WON’T LET THEM BAN ME BUT THOSE GUYS ARE ALL UPTIGHT, AND THEY ONLY SERVE FOREIGN BEER. IT’S OFFENSIVE. WE WON TWO WORLD WARS DRINKING AMERICAN BEER. WHAT THE HELL HAS BELGIUM EVER DONE EXCEPT GET INVADED? WHO WANTS TO DRINK THAT poo poo? I THINK I GOT OFF TOPIC AGAIN. LET’S GET BACK TO THE MID-NINETIES. 1994 WAS A SLOW YEAR. THE NINETIES SUCKED. MAN, YOU TURNED ON THE RADIO AND IT WAS JUST CRAP. WHO WRITES A SONG ABOUT BEING A LOSER? AND ALL THOSE GRUNGEY TYPES WITH THE FLANNEL. LET ME TELL YOU MUSIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT BEING BADASS AND AWESOME, NOT ABOUT WANTING TO KILL YOURSELF. THAT poo poo CAN’T BE GOOD FOR KIDS TO HEAR, RIGHT? LOOK AT ME, WORRYING ABOUT WHAT THE KIDS ARE HEARING. I GUESS BEING A PARENT CHANGES YOU. NOT THAT I’M ALL THAT GREAT OF A PARENT. WELL, MIGUEL SEEMS TO LIKE ME OKAY. ROBBY DOESN’T, I MESSED THAT ONE UP PRETTY GOOD. CAN’T EVEN GET THE KID TO TALK TO ME ANYMORE. HE’S STUCK IN THERE FOR A FEW MORE MONTHS, AND HE’S GOT NOBODY. HE WON’T TAKE MY CALLS. I HOPE HIS MOM IS TALKING TO HIM AT LEAST. I THINK IT MIGHT BE TOO LATE FOR ME AND HIM. I MESSED UP TOO MANY TIMES. NOT THAT I’M A TOTAL SCREW UP. I’VE DONE SOME GOOD STUFF TOO! WHICH BRINGS ME TO 1995 AND HOW I MADE TWO GRAND BETTING ON THE OJ TRIAL.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This first and last sentences are incredible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ruddiger posted:

This first and last sentences are incredible.

The whole thing is a work of art but the lack of any real typos takes it down a notch.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

The whole thing is a work of art but the lack of any real typos takes it down a notch.

I honestly think it's better this way, he's not typing in all caps (only) because he is dumb or rushing through in stream of consciousness mode. He is trying really hard with this letter he just doesn't realize that typing in all caps and recounting your life one year at a time is a faux pas. So he's dumb in a more subtle way than "he can't spell".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

WHAT THE HELL HAS BELGIUM EVER DONE EXCEPT GET INVADED?
I am crying

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Guy A. Person posted:

I honestly think it's better this way, he's not typing in all caps (only) because he is dumb or rushing through in stream of consciousness mode. He is trying really hard with this letter he just doesn't realize that typing in all caps and recounting your life one year at a time is a faux pas. So he's dumb in a more subtle way than "he can't spell".

That's a good point. I could have used maybe one "I should of done this" or "I would of done that"

Or maybe I mean to say "I could of used" one of those things.

Also, I forgot but I think it was a PM and not a post which makes it even better.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The show has gone all-in on deadly serious life or death karate, and has really dropped the tone that was in season 1 about how absurd it is to care about your high school karate tournaments when you're in your 50s.

In season one, the chop shop fight would have ended with one of the guys talking to the police and saying "Yeah, me and my friends here were just working on our cars together when these two guys came in and started doing spin kicks and loving poo poo up"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Don't they have a town meeting about how ridiculous all of this is?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Yeah, the first episode to get in the "I heard you were the bully!" point. Which is a good point, but this season it feels more like tacked on comedy instead of being the tone of the show.

The first season was all about how the stuff from when they were young was stupid, and they shouldn't repeat the mistakes from the past. The whole third season is just "we gotta karate harder than the other guys", with what feels like a few lines of fan service to the first season thrown in.

I would have liked to see Chozens character be successful and happy to see Daniel, which would throw him off balance and Daniel would eventually learn a lesson about letting old grudges go and how little the stupid stuff they did when they were young really counts in life. Instead Chozen is just a character who teaches harder karate literally developed to kill.

The show is still good, but a lot of the secret sauce that gave the first season its charm is gone.

For the fourth season my wish is for Mike Barnes to have grown into a Stephen Wonderboy Thompson happy positive kind of karate guy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

evobatman posted:

Instead Chozen is just a character who teaches harder karate literally developed to kill.

You might want to rewatch that part. You seem to have come to the opposite conclusion from the literal dialogue.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
OMG

https://twitter.com/cobrakaiseries/status/1397915505311182848?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH gently caress YES

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
WHICH BRINGS ME TO 1995 AND HOW I MADE TWO GRAND BETTING ON THE OJ TRIAL.

I'm literally dying lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

OH MY ACTUAL GOD

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CobraKaiSeries/status/1397916986793807885

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The part of Robby Keene will now be played by Dario Cueto.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Not surprised but hell yes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bill Conti's theme for Terry Silver is amazing and it better play sometime this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGw5UHJs_7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROtnT9xsrM

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Looks like it’s time for another Karate Kid III rewatch :woop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As an adult now It's actually my favorite of the three. My favorite was part two as a kid, but as an adult I have a whole new appreciation for Terry Silver. He's just so fun on screen. Thomas Ian Griffith knows exactly what movie he's in and he's playing the part perfectly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

When I went for Erasmus-studies in no-broadband-land the Rifftrax of Karate Kid III was one of the movies on my laptop. I've seen it an honestly embarrassing number of times and there's always something new.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I wonder if they'll ever fix the choreography. It's hard to take the flippy Power Rangers poo poo seriously.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
All of this recent hype on the Netflix and Cobra Kai twitter accounts makes me think S4 may come earlier than winter of this year. Hope I’m right.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

I wonder if they'll ever fix the choreography. It's hard to take the flippy Power Rangers poo poo seriously.

They had a high school karate fight in the middle of a Santa Barbara mansion with a heel-face turn in the middle of it.

Taking that seriously is like my lowest priority.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

I beg your pardon. It is ALWAYS time for the Bad Boy of Karate.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

pentyne posted:

They had a high school karate fight in the middle of a Santa Barbara mansion with a heel-face turn in the middle of it.

Taking that seriously is like my lowest priority.

They could at least look like they can actually fight. A silly plot doesn't mean it has to look stupid. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I beg your pardon. It is ALWAYS time for the Bad Boy of Karate.

Mike Barnes is like the most generic villain name ever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If they all got black belts in Kyokushin, I don't think it would make the California Karate Gang saga more believable.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So a show has to have bad fight choreography if its plot is out there?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Mike Barnes is like the most generic villain name ever.

Um, he successfully bargained for a fifty percent stake in a chain of karate dojos against a multimillionaire in a bubble bath so yeah, I think he's pretty good. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, but if he's so good why didn't he also bargain for Terry Silvers name and announce it like a Mortal Combat character. :colbert:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CobraKaiSeries/status/1398308089707761672

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spacebump posted:

All of this recent hype on the Netflix and Cobra Kai twitter accounts makes me think S4 may come earlier than winter of this year. Hope I’m right.

I'm sure it will. They can probably pump seasons of this show out pretty loving fast if they wanted too. I mean it's like ten 30 minute episodes and half of it is dedicated to them punching and kicking poo poo and / or each other.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm sure it will. They can probably pump seasons of this show out pretty loving fast if they wanted too. I mean it's like ten 30 minute episodes and half of it is dedicated to them punching and kicking poo poo and / or each other.
Action takes a LOT longer to shoot than people talking.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Simone Magus posted:

OH MY ACTUAL GOD

WOAHHH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUOoJBdvsNE

This show is the bountiful popcorn heap that keeps on giving.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just finished watching all three seasons of this show this week and I really love it, which means I'm gonna complain about it a lot.

The soap opera content of the story really needs to be reduced by like 84%. Season 1 remains the best season because it leaned into being clever and self-referential at its characters' own expenses, combined with a very, very coherent throughline and thesis statement. It reminds me a lot of early Glee and I say that with highest praise. Season 2 and 3 both take themselves a bit too seriously and start to mistake "being complicated" with "being interesting"; at this point you need a flowchart to keep track of precisely which characters are mad at each other for precisely what reasons from episode to episode. The best parts of s3 were just the casual scenes of Johnny and Miguel being hopeless goombahs in his apartment, and not the...*gestures vaguely*..."plot," such as it was. Amanda is the best character because she always seems to know what kind of show this is, and even then there was a vague stretch where they tried to make her into generic womanmom with the "No, don't do the good thing, think of your family instead" mindset. Thank goodness that seems gone for now.

Also, I get that the whole point of the show is that "nurture" is everything, but it'd be nice if the teen characters seemed less like mindless hordes of lemmings who imprint onto the nearest adult who gave the most recent motivational speech which then completely defines their personalities for the next foreseeable stretch of episodes. There's got to be a happier balance where these teachings actually shape these students' mindsets over time without them ping-ponging back and forth between worldview extremes every other week because of karate class.

Anyway great show about karate gangs, needs more dicks.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

As was mentioned upthread, Amanda is a normal person (or rather, a prestige drama version of a normal person) who is trapped in a weird ‘80s tribute karate show. Her slapping Kreese represents her giving up and accepting the new reality.