Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I wouldn’t mind one. I missed a lot of PC games from like 2010-2020. Most older games can’t hold my attention but playing them portable when the tv is on or I’m on the road for work would be dope.

There are so many fantastic games in that time period too.

I was replaying FO NV on my GPD win Max and its been dope AF.

Also steam cloud saves are triple dope AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Remote play would be fuckin sweet too. I'm picturing the Vita/PS4 remote play but with a master unit you can scale up

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m getting real close to pulling the trigger on a 351v. I really haven’t seen many negative opinions of it except people who aren’t fans of the vertical orientation. I’m a little nervous about the screen size. Text on some games on my switch is already difficult to read at times for me.

Anyone got any tips or things to be cautious of?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rolo posted:

You’ll also find that the V glass protector fits the screen perfectly. There’s no room for error but it sits flush if you get it right. Recommend using it 100%.

yeah my 351P came with a protector, except the protective covering for the sticky side came with a wrinkle in it & now I have specks trapped under my screen protection :negative:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

There are so many fantastic games in that time period too.

I was replaying FO NV on my GPD win Max and its been dope AF.

Also steam cloud saves are triple dope AF.

Yeah I never played NV but I want to. I don’t know what it is about portable systems but it lets me get through games so much easier. Just throw on a series I’ve seen a million times and crack away on the couch.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m a little nervous about the screen size. Text on some games on my switch is already difficult to read at times for me.

Anyone got any tips or things to be cautious of?

So I have the same problem on my Switch lite but I can read things fine on my 351v even with it’s smaller screen. Main difference I think is that older games that were designed to work with a 640x480 resolution (or less) actually had sane text sizes and so everything stays readable. I get the impression that the vast majority of switch games are designed for TV first and then just shrunk down for handheld size without any changes and so they’re practically unreadable unless you’ve still got young eyes I suppose. This is also the same reason I’m not excited about this new rumored steam handheld. Games designed for 1080p monitors aren’t going to be fun squished down to the 5-6 inch screen the thing is going to have if it wants to pretend to be portable.

As an aside for the switch issues it might be time to invest in some reading glasses. Trying to read text in botw finally made me break down and get some and it’s a lot nicer honestly.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
What's the current best option for upgrading the OS on the Retroid Pocket 2? I'm not looking to get Google Play Store on this thing, just improve performance and have a more unified UI that isn't a confusing mess to anybody you hand it to.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

So, I have a kinda involved process I wanna run through. It involves "instant" syncing of saves and save states.

I (will) have a few Retroid Pocket 2s, an i7s, and a GPD XD+ and they all run Android. So, my plan there is just install the Google Drive app, then setting a spot on it as the save and save state location in Retroarch on each of the devices. Should be simple enough.

However, I'm also getting an RG351M and 351V. Those run some variation of Linux. Could I SSH into the two devices, install rdrive, mount my Google Drive, and then just do the same as above and have them all intertwined?

I use OneDrive. Usually the Android app doesn't let you create a local folder that auto-syncs for free, but you can use OneSync for that.

The easiest way I found was to create a folder for saves on your OneDrive and use OneSync to link that to the saves folder in your Retroarch folder. You might want to configure Retroarch to put savestates there as well.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Is it safe to pick up something like the 351v on Amazon? I see tons of people on Reddit and other sites ordering from Ali express or other sites but they’re on Amazon with prime shipping from some places.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TT59W6R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0Y91TBHE3CJAT7ZEFB6M

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is it safe to pick up something like the 351v on Amazon? I see tons of people on Reddit and other sites ordering from Ali express or other sites but they’re on Amazon with prime shipping from some places.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TT59W6R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0Y91TBHE3CJAT7ZEFB6M

Definitely. I am glad I got my 351p there because the first one had a bad battery and I ended up having to return it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I just got my 351M and V from Amazon. That same listing even.

Speaking of handhelds, I also got my Retroid Pockets in today and man — this is clunky as hell to set up. 9/10 times I want a device to use Android for its openness and support, but this is pure rear end. Hopefully once I get Pegasus installed, files counted for, all that jazz, hopefully it’s fine then. As it is out of the box, painful.

The build quality also isn’t as bad as people claim it to be. Or at least I don’t think it is. The way people compared the 351P and this made it seem like I’d be receiving a Fischer Price toy, but it just feels like a handheld made out of plastic. Nothing more, nothing less.

Out of the three, I think I like the 351M the most. Strong build quality, very portable, easy as clams to use and set up. The RP2 and 351V are head-to-head for me. If the Retroid ends up working the way I imagine it will, it’ll be perfect in usability, but it’s design feels…off. I can’t put a finger on it, but I think it was something to do with the small form but asymmetrical button layout. The V is very good however. Actually, now that I type this, the V is definitely second. And 100% off a preference thing.

In short, the Retroid can do more but it doesn’t do them nicely. The things the RG351 series does well more than makes up for missing out on some PS1 and Dreamcast.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I feel exactly that. I’d have a 351P if I simply didn’t prefer the vertical.

My RP2 was a great handheld but I didn’t use it as often cause I’d have to do so much just to get into the game. I loved the freedom of android but either never used it or, in my case, kept breaking it.

My biggest gripe is that the Anbernic devices don’t come in colors nearly as cool as the Retroids. Those semi clear “funtastic” colors are amazing.

Out of curiosity, why did you buy so many at once?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RP2 also has the issue of its specs are low enough some android apps, like say Xcloud, can't run so its usefulness as an android device is limited

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

The prices on Amazon seem to run significantly higher than AliExpress (which may be ok if you factor in shipping crib the US instead of from China) but there's also tons of vendors with terrible ratings, etc.
I think somebody previously mentioned ordering from Anbernic's first party store on Aliexpress, but that would probably ship from china so it's back to the crazy wait issue...

E: f,b
I think I had this thread open hours ago lol.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ordering from Anbernic directly is actually pretty magic. I ordered on a Thursday night and it made it from China to my door in the states the following Tuesday morning because I paid a little extra for FedEx.

They also give a free (very nice) travel case and glass screen protector for ordering direct.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 28, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barudak posted:

RP2 also has the issue of its specs are low enough some android apps, like say Xcloud, can't run so its usefulness as an android device is limited
Well that plus the tiny 4:3 screen and no L3 R3 and no real right analog and no analog triggers means the vast majority of Xcloud games would be unplayable to begin with.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

The prices on Amazon seem to run significantly higher than AliExpress (which may be ok if you factor in shipping crib the US instead of from China) but there's also tons of vendors with terrible ratings, etc.
I think somebody previously mentioned ordering from Anbernic's first party store on Aliexpress, but that would probably ship from china so it's back to the crazy wait issue...
You can also order directly from https://www.anbernic.com

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

LODGE NORTH posted:

In short, the Retroid can do more but it doesn’t do them nicely. The things the RG351 series does well more than makes up for missing out on some PS1 and Dreamcast.

Yeah, I abandoned my RP2. All I want is it to boot into a frontend and have consistent button commands for menu, exit games, etc, and everything is flaky at best once you start getting into other emulators besides Retroarch.

What I'd really want to do is ditch Android and just load Batocera or Lakka or something on it, but that's not an option.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, I abandoned my RP2. All I want is it to boot into a frontend and have consistent button commands for menu, exit games, etc, and everything is flaky at best once you start getting into other emulators besides Retroarch.

What I'd really want to do is ditch Android and just load Batocera or Lakka or something on it, but that's not an option.
I mean it has that via the Other OS option, and it's basically a tiny Pandoras Box 3D XS 15 Ultra Turbo or whatever they're called now. It has the screenshots and video previews and the tons of badly named numbered games just like the Anbernics and Powkiddys and such. It has standardized buttons for entering and exiting and bringing up menus and a single unified interface for adding controllers and button mapping and such.

The only thing is that the competitors have taken the hard work the emulation community has done with Batocera and Lakka and Recalbox and similar projects and leapfrogged the Android-based Pandoras Box clones in terms of interface and slickness and flexibility. But this was inevitable, as the Retroid Pocket 2 is nearly a year old at this point, and that's a long time as third party retro consoles go.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Want to add that my impressions of the Retroid Pocket 2 have gotten so much worse. This thing is horrible, absolutely horrible to the point where I do not understand how people compare the RG series to this. This is bad.

My initial plan that I touched on a bit above was to install Pegasus, the gameOS theme, and then be on my way. All of my other Android gaming handhelds have the exact same setup, so it's easy. The specs and UX of this make that a farcry from possible. The clunkiness I was talking about earlier was that the device didn't have a touchscreen, so I have to rely on gamepad controls or a virtual mouse. That was the tip of the iceberg.

Installing Pegasus worked fine, but the way the RP2 reads SD cards is somehow non-standard so I have to trudge through the file browser to find the SD card's contents. I eventually got my theme installed, Retroarch with the right cores, ready to go. Go to start a game and it doesn't load. Hit home, Pegasus has a white screen. Reboot, Pegasus is my new home launcher, so I boot straight to a white screen. Luckily Android was bugging me about my SD card, so I could open up the file browser and figure out a way to uninstall Pegasus from there.

So then I switched to the default OS, Retroid OS, which should be simple, right. Just plop your games and go. WRONG. You have to go one by one to add all of the games individually. And I'm one of those weirdos who adds entire game collections to flash carts, emulation devices etc, but labels the top games as favorites. Who knows, one day I may want to play Barbie Adventure on the GBC. Who knows. In any case, after adding a game to test it, the GBA game doesn't load. Try to find answers, some people on Reddit said they completely deleted Retroarch then reinstalled it to get it to work, but that is exactly 100% the opposite of a good idea. You need the specific one installed and then its clone that only has the GBA core installed. Luckily, I found a link to get backups of the original apps that come with the device, so that fixed that.

But now GBA games still aren't working, and that's where I am now. Other people have the same issue, there's literally no record of a fix, but the "solution" is to just use the on-device ROM download :filez: thing and I don't think I'm going to bother, honestly. I know it "works" and I know it can "work" but I absolutely do not want to do anything to get it to that point ever again.

Rolo posted:

Out of curiosity, why did you buy so many at once?

A bit of pride and idiocy. I saw a lot of reviewers say the bad parts of the RP2 were just that it's more difficult to set up (being on Android) than the RG351 since you just drag and drop files on that. I'm, like, deep into tech, I *know* computers, so I thought to myself that if it runs Android, it can't be that bad to set up. I ended up with two because I wanted the powder blue one, couldn't find anyone selling one, so I "settled" on my second choice, the orange one. Then maybe 5 hours later, a powder blue one pops up for sale.

I got the whole gamut of them (351M, V, and two RP2s) because a lot of reviews were split, but the negatives sounded like things I could overcome. I specifically got the RG series on Amazon because I thought "well if I hate them, I can just return them" but I've grown to love these and I'm probably going to have the Retroid Pockets as a memory of the most frustrated I've ever been at such a small, simple-sounding device. Like, it's wild the usability differences between Anbernic and Retroid.

e: Oh, I forgot to add that i was leaning towards the Retroid Pocket 2 since I was initially planning on using Android to have all my devices' saves be connected. Google Drive (or OneDrive) mounted as a drive on the devices, all sharing the same folder for saves and states. I can't really do that on Linux/351ELEC, but I'm reading about some sync options now, so that may just become the project instead.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 28, 2021

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The RP2 looks cool and that is the only good thing about it.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

LODGE NORTH posted:

a very bad time
Fuuuuuck that sucks. Guess I am keeping this stock and dealing with the emulators it came with (not counting that bullshit Chinese bootleg dual boot one), I am already used to Wii/PSP homebrew jank and different emulators having different ways to exit and access menus. Everything besides SNES in handheld mode works well enough despite the awful UI but the latency on HDMI out is total garbage. I don't regret the purchase because it helped out with someone's vet bills, but it's loving sad when my first Android phone, a 3 inch burner, played Yoshi's Island better than this ever can.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theotus posted:

The RP2 looks cool and that is the only good thing about it.

The triggers are better than the RGs and thats about it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the thing you have to remember is that when the Retroid Pocket 2 came out the RG351 series didn't exist, the RG350M was barely out and a generation behind in hardware, and hell the Odroid Go Advance clones were barely out and they were all terrible and the OGA itself was still in its infancy. If you bought a cheap chinese handheld back then it came with a terrible proprietary unmodifiable OS or at best OpenDingux, the Windows 95 of retro portables. And nothing else in the price range had wifi built in either.

Along comes this weird thing that surpasses all expectations set by it's terrible predecessor, with a built in Pandoras Box OS as well as no poo poo install whatever you want working Play Store Android 6 that requires a lot of work to set up but "hey we threw in an APK of DIG for you, figure it out." For a good while thanks to the Play Store and commercial emulators it can run Dreamcast better than anything else and it's the only thing that can play Nintendo DS and the dozen or so games that don't need the touchscreen. On top of this it was the only other device with a 640x480 screen and while not as nice as the 350m screen it was a good sight cheaper than the 350m to boot. This is the context in which months and months of forum discussions, real reviews, and shill reviews take place.

Now since then the Odroid Go vision of porting mature rasberry pi emulation box targeted linux distros to dirt cheap mobile hardware has finally borne fruit and we have dozens of OGA clones with mature, well supported software and incredibly slick, easy to use interfaces and it is the Retroid Pocket now which is a generation behind. We even have an OGA "clone" with a 640x480 screen (351v) now, so the Retroid Pocket 2 is finally obsolete. But for a time, it was something.

Having dealt with using the gba and ds homebrew and opendingux devices back in the day, nothing about messing with the RP2 is especially difficult, it's just different tradeoffs. As you note, yeah, you have to pop out the SD card and put it into your computer to copy files to it, but at least you don't have to deal with ext3 partitions. Yeah the multiple installations of RetroArch and old pre-installed cores you must use are something you have to get used to, but it helps to think of it as some weird proprietary device that needs specific software instead of something like your phone where you just download the latest versions of everything and keep them up to date.

Oh and if you're going to continue to try and configure things, it's android, so you can use a bluetooth or usb mouse. Doing so feels like using a tiny toy computer, it's uncanny.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 29, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what's the coolest and best thing to get? I'm very sorry.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

for my rp2, i just run everything out of the android os and load apps individually; trying to have an all-in-one launcher was a disaster

the installed cores run fine, except the gba one, which i replaced with a paid emu for $5. it was my first retro handheld, so i had no standards on the way i should be treated, and performance is/was way more important to me than form factor or ui

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cavauro posted:

people really like the anbernic stuff, especially the 351 series. what were you hoping to do

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i guess i don't really have specific needs emulation-wise but i'm a little framerate sensitive so without getting into full switch clone pc territory i'm mostly looking to avoid getting something over another similar option just because it can run one extra console but with significant stuttering or something. i'd never use it for that. it's looking like there aren't as many good options as i thought though. maybe the RG351M unless it's kinda iffy on running some stuff that it gets advertised as supporting

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Declan MacManus posted:

people really like the anbernic stuff, especially the 351 series. what were you hoping to do

Im hoping for mainly Dreamcast and PS1 emu, but im so lost as to what is good, because the last few pages make it seem like Retroid Pocket 2 is a bit outdated.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Cavauro posted:

Personally, considering the systems that are playable on it I think the 351v is the clear winner as long as you don’t have issues with the form factor. I think it’s going to take a more powerful chipset and bigger screen before there will be good competition.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks for interacting with a little fly buzzing in to check things out real quick. i'll probably come back around and more seriously consider getting something when the 'next gen' starts getting rolled out. You are good eggs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the key thing to remember is that yeah, the Retroid Pocket 2 has been surpassed, in that the RG351 series have now caught up to or surpassed Redream in Dreamcast performance and nearly caught up to Drastic in DS performance, and finally have a 640x480 screen to call their own as well. The hardware itself is still comparable so that part's not outdated yet, and some rare souls may have a need of Android for some reason, and it still remains one of the few handhelds with HDMI out if you want that for some reason.

Plenty of handhelds are truly outdated, in hardware power and specs and screens and software, rocking ancient dual core chips and RAM that can be measured in the megabytes, cloned from other handhelds that have long since gone out of business, coughing, sputtering, soldiering on... these handhelds are still sold, of course, and you have to watch out for that, though sometimes they may be really cheap, so you think they'll be fun to tinker with, to test, and you can always give it to the kid, you think to yourself... but it won't happen. They'll sit in a drawer, forgotten... forever.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Give me the SN30 shell with Retroid’s case colors and Anbernic’s everything else and I will write you a big check.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I want a powkiddy v91. Just keep making that more powerful and maybe add some analogue nubs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got a 351v off amazon and I can't believe how good it is. I expected a poo poo dpad but it's like shigeru miyamoto personally came on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Don Lapre posted:

Got a 351v off amazon and I can't believe how good it is. I expected a poo poo dpad but it's like shigeru miyamoto personally came on it.

Hell yeah. Game Boy feels so right on it. Playing Pokémon Silver for the first time and liking it more than the GBA ones.

Wario Land next. Nostalgia ahoy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Don Lapre posted:

it's like shigeru miyamoto personally came on it.

This kills the d pad

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Mine was supposed to deliver today but got delayed.

Have you put custom firmware on it or just rocking the stock OS?

Can’t decide if I wanna try ArkOS or Elec Reborn.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 28, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’m using Reborn on mine and some cool theme I found a mock-up of that someone eventually created.

https://youtu.be/vWU_M_nSSl4

It’s called Airen. Not sure if it’s on the theme browser thing, but manually plopping it into the right folder from the system’s file manager was surprisingly easy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
351V quick facts:

-351Elec is very easy to flash and worth it just to have everything pre-tweaked out of the box.

-With the V you can connect to your wifi and SSH themes directly into the OS! It’s also easy!

-Check my post history for an awesome theme customized for the V screen some redditor made. Easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Seconding 351Elec, everything just works without any tweaking required.