Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Hey guys, I'm looking for a solid budget mechanical 100% keyboard, preferably between $50-$100 USD. I was looking at getting the Ducky One 2 but it's pretty pricey. What would you guys recommend on the lower end. I'm in Canada btw.

EDIT: I'm looking at this keyboard, https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Mech...691&sr=8-5&th=1

Terebus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Cancelling my GMMK Pro batch order, totally forgot that Glorious uses DHL to ship to Canada. The shipping fee + additional brokerage would just not be worth it. I can always order from MemoryExpress and local vendors, though with the chip shortage, it'll probably be the non-QMK compatible (for now) ones that'll ship so I don't know if I'd even bother tbh. Might as well wait for a second revision or just wait out a Satisfaction75 R3 or whatever similar comes up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Terebus posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a solid budget mechanical 100% keyboard, preferably between $50-$100 USD. I was looking at getting the Ducky One 2 but it's pretty pricey. What would you guys recommend on the lower end. I'm in Canada btw.

EDIT: I'm looking at this keyboard, https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Mech...691&sr=8-5&th=1

I'd suggest this one with browns unless you really want reds

https://www.amazon.ca/Redragon-K582-Mechanical-Keyboard-Anti-ghosting/dp/B08G4P83F3/

e: only thing that sucks is the gamer font keycaps but any standard 104 keycap set will swap right in

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

mewse posted:

I'd suggest this one with browns unless you really want reds

https://www.amazon.ca/Redragon-K582-Mechanical-Keyboard-Anti-ghosting/dp/B08G4P83F3/

e: only thing that sucks is the gamer font keycaps but any standard 104 keycap set will swap right in

Haha, yeah that keycap font looks like they were sourced from a 90s gaming mag. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Cancelling my GMMK Pro batch order, totally forgot that Glorious uses DHL to ship to Canada. The shipping fee + additional brokerage would just not be worth it. I can always order from MemoryExpress and local vendors, though with the chip shortage, it'll probably be the non-QMK compatible (for now) ones that'll ship so I don't know if I'd even bother tbh. Might as well wait for a second revision or just wait out a Satisfaction75 R3 or whatever similar comes up.

The KL-90 Polycarbonate might work for you if you are willing to spend Sat75 money: https://www.ashkeebs.com/product/polycarbonate-kl-90/
But it's not going to ship until next Jan. If you are willing to chance it (and spend at least $550), there is an aluminum version of the KL-90 that is currently in production. So you could see if there are extras to try and buy on of those.

Also know that the rotary encoders and OLED screen will have to be soldered on by you, even if you choose the hotswap pcb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_1tN0RBMA

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Terebus posted:

If you can stretch your budget slightly, the GMMK full size might be an option. It's $110 USD with brown switches.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
A really great budget option is the Keychron C1 hot swap.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

.Z. posted:

The KL-90 Polycarbonate might work for you if you are willing to spend Sat75 money: https://www.ashkeebs.com/product/polycarbonate-kl-90/
But it's not going to ship until next Jan. If you are willing to chance it (and spend at least $550), there is an aluminum version of the KL-90 that is currently in production. So you could see if there are extras to try and buy on of those.

Also know that the rotary encoders and OLED screen will have to be soldered on by you, even if you choose the hotswap pcb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_1tN0RBMA

Yeah, I saw that as soon as the GB launched but I'm gonna pass on paying $400+ USD on a poly case. I'm sure the "budget" keeb manufacturers like KBDFans/YMDK/KPRepublic will probably get on the encoder + OLED fad someday and put something out more affordable in alu anyways. Hell, they'll probably try to add in a touchbar like the one found in the Sol 3 or something just to stand out and get some hype.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Epsilon Plus posted:

I made an account on Geekhack pretty much just to watch the Boston to see how it shapes up. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106501.0

yeah fingers crossed for that one. I would smother it in SA Spectra if I thought a metal version were going to make it to GB.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
GMMK said my pro had shipped a couple weeks ago so I decided to check in to see where it’s at.
Looks like it took a detour from California to Germany on its way to Canada…

mewse
May 2, 2006

Opioid posted:

GMMK said my pro had shipped a couple weeks ago so I decided to check in to see where it’s at.
Looks like it took a detour from California to Germany on its way to Canada…

That's absurd but DHL is german

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
Man, the Logitech G915 is just what I'm looking for in a keyboard (tkl, volumewheel, handy stuff, not poo poo looking) so of course the bastard is 200 :mad:

e: no I take that back. It is like €240. dammit

CredulousAtBest fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 27, 2021

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks everybody for the rotary recs last page!!!

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

nvrgrls posted:

Thanks everybody for the rotary recs last page!!!

Same, thanks for the recommendations!

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Well, I ended up cancelling my gmmk pro preorder. Over the past two months, I first got on the murphpad group buy, and now I’m on the LCK75 group buy. I guess I’m all in on soldering, qmk programming and figuring out what to do with knobs and led screens.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I love my Durgold K320? (TKL with white lights, Cherry Brown and custom PBT XDA keycaps). But I'm tempted by the GMMK keyboard because of the nob and full RBG lightening, and am curious about trying out Gateron Browns if I like them as much as Cherry. Plus, I kind of want another set of PBT XDA keycaps (truly the superior keycap profile).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I'd go even further by trying out switches less similar to the browns, like Boba U4Ts or something

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

I'd go even further by trying out switches less similar to the browns, like Boba U4Ts or something

Too heavy.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Don't forget the bullshit processing fees that DHL tacks ontop of duties that they will do for you on your behalf. OneofZero is probably your best bet if you are seriously looking at the GMMK Pro in canada. They are not dicks about shipping and charge in Canadian dollars, not USD like other similar sites in Canada. They are looking at early June shipping date if you preorder today.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LionArcher posted:

Too heavy.

Try Kailh Polias. I picked some of them up before I picked some Bobas up and felt that they were a bit too soft for my tastes. (Bobas are the best switches I've felt so far personally with their nice sharp bump though, so ymmv.)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Novelkeys has them on sale for 30c each so they're a great option. But the best use for them is to harvest the stems to make Holy Bobas for cheap :)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Are there any "nice" (non-mechanical) multi-device wireless keyboards other than the Logitech MX Keys? I'll spend $100 if I have to but would strongly prefer replaceable batteries. I have a K380 but hate the circular keys, so that rules out the K780.

E: I ask this then immediately find more. Dell KM717 or KM7120W may be what I'm looking for.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 29, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hey people, need a decent budget keyboard in the Uk.

Needs to be quiet so I'm going with membrane.

Torn between the Hyperx Alloy Core RGB or the Razer Cynosa V2.

Near identically priced, and seem similar spec'd.

Anyone got a tie-breaking opinion?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Hey people, need a decent budget keyboard in the Uk.

Needs to be quiet so I'm going with membrane.

Torn between the Hyperx Alloy Core RGB or the Razer Cynosa V2.

Near identically priced, and seem similar spec'd.

Anyone got a tie-breaking opinion?

If I can offer a third option:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CMGWKMT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_QZZ759JRH278N5WRTRW1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's smaller than a full-size, which gives you more mouse space for gaming, especially for games where you want lower sensitivity like CSGO and Valorant. Also uses Outemu Red mechanical switches which are comparable to cherry MX reds. I'd give it some consideration, as I think you'd probably really like it over a membrane board, and it's an incredibly good board for the price.

If you want to stick to the other two options, I'd probably go with the Razer even though I typically shy away from Razer products. It's got much better reviews and people seem to find it a better all-around board.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you need quiet scissors are so much better than membrane.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Redragon. Don't like that font, but honestly, how often would I be looking at it. I'll look at some reviews, and failing that i'll get the Razer.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 30, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Edit: Double post

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 30, 2021

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Deptfordx posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Redragon. Don't like that font, but honestly, how often would I be looking at it. I'll look at some reviews, and failing that i'll get the Razer.

It's got MX-compatible stems, so you can replace those caps with ~95% of the caps on the market.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
finally built the keyboard wooooo

GK87 base, nk_sherbet switches, jukebox MT3 profile keycaps

(i lost the F4 key)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just picked up the Razer PBT set to renew a ~7 year old Ducky board that came with ABS caps

Feels really nice and it's only 30bux. Comes with everything for ISO, ANSI, US and UK layouts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Got the Redragon K552 In the end. I'm very pleased with it. Really like the tenkeyless design. Thx.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

fishception posted:

finally built the keyboard wooooo

GK87 base, nk_sherbet switches, jukebox MT3 profile keycaps

(i lost the F4 key)

Goddamn, I love the colours on this. This looks amazing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wishing for Cooler Master's destruction. Second time my CK550 has fallen prey to key chatter, and this time it's the bloody space bar and W keys. Kind of important for literally everything I do. Unfortunately a replacement is kind of a mess as long as I'm dealing with cubital tunnel (so... probably forever), since no standard keyboard will have the right split/angles and no split that I've seen really works for much games...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
WTF is key chatter? You can always open it up and replace the switches.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

no split that I've seen really works for much games...

How so? I'm using a split for gaming and have no problem with it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Taffer posted:

The splits tend to awkwardly break right across where shortcuts would normally work for KB+M for a handful of games (mostly the Y and the inability to reach further number keys/F keys without hand off the mouse). It may work with practice on it & enough reassignment, in practical terms, I'm coming from workplace experience where the shortcuts are written directly into our software and can't be changed, and pose trouble with a split where they don't on standard.

redeyes posted:

WTF is key chatter? You can always open it up and replace the switches.

I was under the impression chatter was the standard name for keys repeatedly striking for one key press. I don't have the tools, workspace, or expertise to replace whole switches, and my only backup if it fails is an even more busted first-gen Blackwidow used heavily enough it has 5 or 6 switches worn to the point of chatter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I figured key chattering was a description of the sound, multiple inputs on one keypress sounds like a debouncing issue except it's probably caused by dust or something in the contacts instead of normal arcing. I've fixed some key repetition issues by just blasting a little deoxit (electronic contact cleaner) into the key while the stem is depressed and just tapping it a whole bunch of times. It doesn't always work but it was pretty successful on my dad's old NEC keyboard. My old complicated ALPS whites had that on the n and 0 keys and I ended up desoldering and pulling the switches apart to clean them and reassembling them, which worked pretty well. I haven't had that problem with most newer keyboards with cherry or buckling springs but it's likely the same deal with the switch getting dirty in the contacts and needing to be cleaned or replaced.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Taffer posted:

Likewise. But, I was already using a Belkin Nostromo n52 years prior so I knew I liked that style. I can certainly see how it would be annoying for those who play games that cross the divide.

That's actually one of the reasons I convinced myself to buy the split. I had failed miserably at 3D printing my way in to a mechanical conversion on the n52 and broke it in the process so I knew if I didn't like the Moonlander as a keyboard I could still use the left section as a gaming pad and get some value out of it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

The splits tend to awkwardly break right across where shortcuts would normally work for KB+M for a handful of games (mostly the Y and the inability to reach further number keys/F keys without hand off the mouse). It may work with practice on it & enough reassignment, in practical terms, I'm coming from workplace experience where the shortcuts are written directly into our software and can't be changed, and pose trouble with a split where they don't on standard.

Those are all pretty easily surmountable problems. I went from using exclusively standard form factor cheapo membrane keyboards to a split keyboard that I now use for everything (gaming, software dev, any other leisure stuff). There was a learning curve (mostly because the board I got uses a columnar layout vs staggered), but most of that is because I was drastically changing my typing style and shortcuts to prevent further strain and injury. You could go to a split that has a fairly standard layout without really changing any other habits if you wanted that.

As for shortcuts, besides the baseline ctrl-c ctrl-v type stuff that is used constantly, most shortcuts are nonsense and basically every application allows you to change them, it really only takes a few days of minor annoyance to adapt to new ones. If you have uses where you can't or don't want to change them, keyboards with firmware remapping and macro support or on-system macro tools can easily work around any wonky shortcuts you have to use regularly.

Gaming on PC is almost exclusively left-hand on keyboard only, so shortcuts that have keys that end up on the right-side of a split keyboard are going to be rare and infrequently used, and unless it's some really weird old game you're going to be able to reassign those easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, the left split is not really a problem for games nowadays unless you're playing Arma or MMO/RTS