Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I would put a huge amount of money on "Joker 2: Harley Quinn."

I dunno...but why do I feel that they are gonna try to connect the new Batman movie with this one, now for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
what if the Joker does something out of character and fights a guy who dresses like a bat or something

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm just wondering if a sequel to that would even work

The whole point is his slow descent into madness, which is completed at the end

With the Joker being like King of Comedy Todd should keep the ball rolling and make the sequel After Hours. Just an uptight businessman dragged into an increasingly bizarre and dangerous Gotham underbelly by Harley Quinn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joker 2 would work best as a different movie with a different actor. Just drop a new, wildly different origin out every few years

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm just wondering if a sequel to that would even work

The whole point is his slow descent into madness, which is completed at the end
Remember that American Psycho got a sequei.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Remember that American Psycho got a sequei.

so you're saying we need Mila Kunis to be Phoenix's Harley Quinn

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
With Joker being a Taxi Driver homage then it wouldn't be that out of place to style Joker 2 like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

There's plenty of lesser and well know headcases to fill the movie with from Batman's rogues. Scarface is personal favorite as one who can be adapted easily. Along with being ripe for the Harley Quinn corruption story line. It really would not be a question of if Joker escapes, but there could be tension on how many sympathetic or deserving characters he kills to do it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Joker 2: Batman would be incredibly funny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E. Revenant posted:

With Joker being a Taxi Driver homage then it wouldn't be that out of place to style Joker 2 like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

There's plenty of lesser and well know headcases to fill the movie with from Batman's rogues. Scarface is personal favorite as one who can be adapted easily. Along with being ripe for the Harley Quinn corruption story line. It really would not be a question of if Joker escapes, but there could be tension on how many sympathetic or deserving characters he kills to do it.

Or make a movie where mental illness doesn't make the main character violent.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Joker: The Musical.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

bessantj posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlAKDJzAkyg

(rip jim steinman)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Alhazred posted:

Or make a movie where mental illness doesn't make the main character violent.
In the sequel, it will be revealed that his mental illness is actually contagious, and he jokerfies our entire society.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slugworth posted:

In the sequel, it will be revealed that his mental illness is actually contagious, and he jokerfies our entire society.

There was a mini series where this happened

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

All I ask is for a movie where the Joker tries to patent a fish.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

JordanKai posted:

Joker 2: Batman would be incredibly funny.

bessantj posted:

From Joker To Batman

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If they want to keep it away from traditional comic book stuff they could just do a love story thing with a more grounded Harley.

I personally thought the Joker movies story and themes sucked and were way too basic. The movie was a vehicle for Joaquin to act his heart out and for that reason, and only that reason, I enjoyed it. So they should get some awesome female actress who can rise to Joaquins level and just have them do stuff, any stuff, really

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know that you could do Harley Quinn with this Joker, at least not any recognizable version of her. Like, the original Harley, as much as I love the character, is kind of a laughingstock and punching bag. At worst, she's an extended "Women, am I right?" riff. More modern stories have leaned into how utterly hosed up the Joker's treatment of her is and have had her break out on her own but I'm not sure that direction would make sense for a debut movie, so we're left with a character whose very existence seems incompatibly cartoonish compared to the first movie.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Well the "Joker" in the Joker movie wasn't really like the most iconic joker characterizations we've seen either. They could do just about anything with Harley to make her fit into this new grounded Joker style

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point is just that I think you'd have to completely alter the character's backstory and origin as a doctor who falls in love with the Joker because the second you try to sell that in a more "grounded" story it's going to suck IMO.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

All I ask is for a movie where the Joker tries to patent a fish.

I know right? Is that so much to ask?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

My point is just that I think you'd have to completely alter the character's backstory and origin as a doctor who falls in love with the Joker because the second you try to sell that in a more "grounded" story it's going to suck IMO.

Harleen was a more grounded origin story and it didn't suck.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's super easy to do Harley in Joker 2. She's a right wing, cruel, bad person who's trying to make a quick buck and then gets radicalized by Joker and helps him bust out to kill more billionaires. You just drop the abusive relationship stuff cause you're only using the bones anyway, and it's not like Suicide Squad didn't already totally excise that in a movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It absolutely did not, the implication of abuse is all over Joker and Harley in Suicide Squad. He abandoned her after throwing her in the vat and left her after crashing the car too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He dove into the vat to save her, what movie did you watch? He doesn't abandon her until he drives the car off the pier.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...that’s technically correct, but ignores the fact that he very obviously gaslit her into jumping into a vat of dangerous chemicals and then rewards her with affection once she engages in self-destructive behaviour that he approves of. Their relationship is, like, textbook abusive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

And then spends the rest of the movie feeling guilty about it and literally declaring war on the government trying to get her back. And him getting her out at the end is played as a straight romantic ending. He's not abusive in that movie, he's a dude who panicked and made a bad choice. I don't like that version of the relationship, at least not as "the" main line movie version, but it's for sure what the movie is presenting.

E: where's the gaslighting? He told her jumping in would do the same thing to her it did to him. He didn't lie or mislead, and clearly himself does not see it as self destructive. He's happy with his life and who he is. He thought he was doing her a favor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It could also be said that he doesn't even a abandon her in the water, he just thought she'd jump out faster and she didn't. Like, that film sucks but Joker clearly wants Harley.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

E: where's the gaslighting? He told her jumping in would do the same thing to her it did to him. He didn't lie or mislead, and clearly himself does not see it as self destructive. He's happy with his life and who he is. He thought he was doing her a favor.

This interpretation only works if you ignore objective reality and only accept Joker’s viewpoint as valid. I’m sure to a lot of abusers alienating yourself from your loved ones and focusing exclusively on each other seems perfectly rational and healthy, but that doesn’t make it objectively true.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Phylodox posted:

This interpretation only works if you ignore objective reality and only accept Joker’s viewpoint as valid. I’m sure to a lot of abusers alienating yourself from your loved ones and focusing exclusively on each other seems perfectly rational and healthy, but that doesn’t make it objectively true.

The Jokers viewpoint of “jumping into a vat of chemicals will set you free” holds a lot of weight in a universe where that did happen to him.
It holds even more weight here where doing that works and gives Harley super powers too.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I think the problem is they cut the majority of the overt textual abuse which just leaves the movie with the subtext residue of the abusive plot so we can still recognize the implied red flags.

He does excitedly give her electroshock in addition to testing her with the chemical bath and cultivating codependency but if you're not used to spotting that poo poo in real life your mind might not fill in the blanks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Karma Tornado posted:

I feel like that happened in Fraction's Punisher run

It happened in Spencer's ASM run, too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait a minute, isn't this Joker also the one that puts her through some electrocuting?

Am I being pranked?

E: The loving and played straight romance of her being held down by goons screaming and crying. This of course followed by verbal berating and straight up torture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY14QRBl6BU

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 28, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Harley character has been moving away from being romantically involved with the Joker recently so it's probably not a good idea to go back to that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

https://deadline.com/2021/05/marvel-movie-release-date-changes-eyes-of-tammy-faye-disney-theatrical-1234766379/ posted:

An untitled Marvel movie moves off of Oct. 7, 2022 to Oct. 6, 2023. There is already an untitled Warner Bros. movie on that 2023 date. As a result of the move, Disney has taken off an untitled Disney live action title that was on Oct. 6, 2023.

Disney has also scrubbed a 20th Century untitled movie off of Nov. 10, 2023 and replaced it with a Marvel movie. That untitled MCU title had a previous release date of Nov. 3, 2023. On Nov. 10, 2023, Paramount already has the Ron Howard-directed animated movie The Shrinking of Treehorn, while Warner Bros. has an untitled film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So this year we get Black Widow, Shang Chi, The Eternals, and Spider-Man No Way Home (which I don't remember if Marvel counts that as one of 'theirs')

2022 is what, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, and something else? I know GoTG3 is kind of at the back of the list of confirmed films so that may be 2023.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thor is next February, and there's also the GOTG Holiday Special.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
don't forget Doctor Strange 2; Now with Wanda!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1389233085837762564

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I kept thinking The Marvels was a Shazam sequel.

Just rewatched Spider-Man: Far From Home and the undead Iron Man illusion was really cool and I hope it reappears somewhere in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep thinking that strange 3 and no way home are reversed. They really fast tracked all the Spider-man movies it feels.