Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Floppychop posted:

I had to look up what you were referencing since I don't follow celebrities at all. Wright is an anti-vaxxer? I know minorities have more of a reason to be hesitant about government sponsored vaccinations, but still.

Crazy religious fundamentalist that said some bad things about gays, is an anti-vaxxer, and promotes a preacher that is a transphobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt when she was like “I’m just asking questions we got this vaccine so fast” but then you look past that and she’s got some very bigoted company that she keeps :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Black folks' opinions and who gets to be a role model being carefully pruned and shaped like a bonsai tree by DisneyCIA. Representation politics is a trojan horse.

On the other hand, Wright said some really dumb and dangerous poo poo to ten million followers at the height of the pandemic and then doubled down on it when called out. To quote Don Cheadle

the don posted:

jesus… just scrolled through. hot garbage. every time i stopped and listened, he and everything he said sounded crazy and fkkkd up. i would never defend anybody posting this.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Crazy religious fundamentalist that said some bad things about gays, is an anti-vaxxer, and promotes a preacher that is a transphobe.

:stare:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am happy to see Disney remove dangerous nutjobs from their shows and movies, whether they be named Gina Carano or Letitia Wright.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's something to be said about Wright getting buried, if that's even what's happening, while Chris Pratt continues to headline blockbuster movies but pushing Okoye over Shuri seems more natural from a storytelling POV. So far she's gotten more screen time and character development and just seems like a better character to follow.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Aren't most religious people in America anti-gay in some form since that's in the bible

Sorry I don't really know anything about religion

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Collapsing Farts posted:

Aren't most religious people in America anti-gay in some form since that's in the bible

Sorry I don't really know anything about religion

No, the Bible only mentions being gay like 1-2 times ever and the only guy who makes a big deal about it also says that you have to marry your brothers wife if he dies and you can’t wear clothes made with two different kinds of fabrics. Anyone who uses their religion to bolster their bigotry has literally not read the Bible.

I don’t know anything about how Jewish religion handles gayness but I assume like all Orthodoxy it’s probably incredibly heteronormative and stupid

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

live with fruit posted:

There's something to be said about Wright getting buried, if that's even what's happening, while Chris Pratt continues to headline blockbuster movies but pushing Okoye over Shuri seems more natural from a storytelling POV. So far she's gotten more screen time and character development and just seems like a better character to follow.

I know Pratt belongs to a questionable church but has he publicly said lovely things? Maybe Disney just wants people to keep their mouth shut

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Either Pratt is smart enough to keep his mouth closed, or he truly doesn't think that the church is anti-gay. Either way I don't think we should start banning people for what they might think.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Hobo Clown posted:

I know Pratt belongs to a questionable church but has he publicly said lovely things? Maybe Disney just wants people to keep their mouth shut

Pratt’s current church is only obliquely anti-LGBTQ though his previous church was much more outspoken about it. A simplistic white privilege narrative probably partially explains why he hasn’t seen any backlash remotely comparable to Wright but there’s actually something more interesting going on.

White political opinion is largely already controlled and managed, so who cares if some white actor follows a kooky pastor. Black political dissent still retains a revolutionary edge and so management is much more important. That’s why we see certain black figures who go along with the political headwinds uplifted (watch how the aristocratic, unproblematic, and conveniently dead Bosewick is being turned into the next Obama/MLK) whereas those with wrongthink (Wright, Stanfield, Snipes, Howard) are sidelined.

ANOTHER SCORCHER fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 28, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Oasx posted:

Either Pratt is smart enough to keep his mouth closed, or he truly doesn't think that the church is anti-gay. Either way I don't think we should start banning people for what they might think.

Anti-vaccine rhetoric kills children

I'm not saying Disney cares, it's obviously a business decision, but limiting the outreach of dangerous nonsense is good actually

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

As Disney has evidenced time and time again it isn't about principles and simply what they fear will hurt revenue. Like what was going on in the production of The Mandalorian is just absurd in retrospect, what did they think would happen by leaving it unaddressed for so long.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

BurritoJustice posted:

Anti-vaccine rhetoric kills children

I'm not saying Disney cares, it's obviously a business decision, but limiting the outreach of dangerous nonsense is good actually

You misunderstand me. I was referring to Chris Pratt being a member of a church that might be anti-gay. My point was that since he has not actually said anything then I think it's wrong to demand he get fired.

Carano or Wright could just have shut up and they would still have careers.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Oasx posted:

Carano or Wright could just have shut up and they would still have careers.

Agreed, women and especially black women should shut the gently caress up so I can merrily consume my Disney Mindpoison Slop.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
What a dumb hill to die on but you do you (make sure to get vaccinated though)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
disney and big government wants you to believe that 1x1=1 but don't believe their lies brother

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Agreed, women and especially black women should shut the gently caress up so I can merrily consume my Disney Mindpoison Slop.

Lmao

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Well...:suspense:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve got them on ignore.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

lolwut

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Primo post user name combo A+ gimmick

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Posters in this thread are justifying Letitia Wright, the black woman actress of Shuri from the popular Black Panther franchise, being deliberately sidelined because she shared a video on twitter of another speaker that was critical of mass vaccination using a vaccine developed in a world record amount of time. While I may disagree with her opinions, the speed and efficacy with which the Disney Corporation (whose connection with the US Military Industrial Complex has been detailed time and time again) swept to silence one of their young black actresses should be alarming for everyone. It should be especially alarming given that the Walt Disney Corporation has made diversity and representation critical to their recent marketing. Is Disney's diversity for all black people? Or is it for a (white) hand-picked, properly behaving talented tenth?

Most folks know that Walt Disney's early career relied on stealing from black culture and using blackface archetypes (Micky Mouse) while also glorifying the sharecropper life during reconstruction (Song of the South). I'm sure folks at the time were pleased with that kind of "representation" - the modern kind serves the same function. Like Mickey Mouse, Official Disney Black Heroes are fun and cool, and even though white folks may hold all the actual power, ODBHs get to laugh while singing and dancing their hearts out.

Notably when Pratt was under fire for his LGBTQ-critical church affiliation, multiple Marvel movie stars came to his defense. None have come forward for Letitia.

ANOTHER SCORCHER fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Do you do research for this bit or is this extemporaneous?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have Disney even sidelined Letitia Wright at all? I thought after her tweets she closed her Twitter account, and that was basically the end of it. I don't even see anything on a quick Google about Disney dropping her, censoring her etc. She just hasn't been relevant, since there's been basically no film or project beyond maybe Captain America & The Winter Soldier in which she could theoretically have even appeared. There's been no information on Black Panther 2 as of yet, beyond a title, but there's nothing indicated she's been dropped from it or anything yet that I can see.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah, people are mostly just making assumptions with no like actual basis on what the actual plans going forward were.

It's not like anything changed, there was just a lack of any info at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
She was cast in Black Panther 2 after all that happened and has shown up at Marvel press events.

I don't think she was sidelined so much as she got tons of flack (mostly from Don Cheadle) publicly and closed down her Twitter.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She was cast in Black Panther 2 after all that happened and has shown up at Marvel press events.

I don't think she was sidelined so much as she got tons of flack (mostly from Don Cheadle) publicly and closed down her Twitter.

Yes. Disney hasn’t actually done anything from what I’ve heard, so SCORCHER is literally yelling about a theoretical. All we know about that franchise is that they’re not going to CG Chadwick Boseman, and Okoye is in the Wakanda show.

Shuri is fine, still slated to be in BP2, still involved in press.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Posters in this thread are justifying Letitia Wright, the black woman actress of Shuri from the popular Black Panther franchise, being deliberately sidelined because she shared a video on twitter of another speaker that was critical of mass vaccination using a vaccine developed in a world record amount of time. While I may disagree with her opinions, the speed and efficacy with which the Disney Corporation (whose connection with the US Military Industrial Complex has been detailed time and time again) swept to silence one of their young black actresses should be alarming for everyone. It should be especially alarming given that the Walt Disney Corporation has made diversity and representation critical to their recent marketing. Is Disney's diversity for all black people? Or is it for a (white) hand-picked, properly behaving talented tenth?

Most folks know that Walt Disney's early career relied on stealing from black culture and using blackface archetypes (Micky Mouse) while also glorifying the sharecropper life during reconstruction (Song of the South). I'm sure folks at the time were pleased with that kind of "representation" - the modern kind serves the same function. Like Mickey Mouse, Official Disney Black Heroes are fun and cool, and even though white folks may hold all the actual power, ODBHs get to laugh while singing and dancing their hearts out.

Notably when Pratt was under fire for his LGBTQ-critical church affiliation, multiple Marvel movie stars came to his defense. None have come forward for Letitia.

How was Wright sidelined?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

If you want to talk about Disney stars clearly being told to shut up. Mark Rufflo's pathetic backtracking on I/P is the most recent example.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I/P?

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Spacebump posted:

How was Wright sidelined?

There's little information at present but folks are saying Okoye is the main character of BP2. Rumors suggest the villains of BP2 will be Namor and Princess Zanda. Obviously Namor will become a good guy or at least antihero, so we'll have another Black Panther film where the heroines ultimately team up with the would be white conqueror (CIA/Namor) to fight the badly-behaved and villainous Black person (Killmonger/Zanda). At least Ryan Coogler will get to go to all the coolest parties! Maybe he'll even be at the Harris inauguration...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Israel is up to shenanigans again, check the news

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

There's little information at present but folks are saying Okoye is the main character of BP2. Rumors suggest the villains of BP2 will be Namor and Princess Zanda. Obviously Namor will become a good guy or at least antihero, so we'll have another Black Panther film where the heroines ultimately team up with the would be white conqueror (CIA/Namor) to fight the badly-behaved and villainous Black person (Killmonger/Zanda). At least Ryan Coogler will get to go to all the coolest parties! Maybe he'll even be at the Harris inauguration...

Ah yes, because as we all know, rumors are definitively truth and people should be judged based solely on rumor.

Azhais posted:

Israel is up to shenanigans again, check the news

I have literally never seen it referred to in that manner or using that acronym, and do not know why you'd get smarmy that someone didn't immediately know what you were talking about simply because they don't recognize an acronym.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Sounds like there is no evidence then if people are going off rumors. Even though it isn’t a similar situation, it reminds me of when a bunch of people got angry about Last of Us 2 rumors/leaks that weren’t actually true. While I will give you sometimes MCU rumors are true, it seems like they’ve gotten way better in recent years at stopping leaks/behind the scenes info from getting out. Though clearly they don’t stop everything as some big WandaVision spoilers were out early.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 28, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Just from a pragmatic standpoint an actor that knows when to shut the gently caress up on social media on all political opinions must be worth its weight in gold. Like, I'm sure Pratt has some heinous views but at this point it's all conjecture because he's been dead silent.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Just from a pragmatic standpoint an actor that knows when to shut the gently caress up on social media on all political opinions must be worth its weight in gold. Like, I'm sure Pratt has some heinous views but at this point it's all conjecture because he's been dead silent.

Yeah it took years drilling message discipline and media training to kill interesting late night tv appearances and now the same is coming into affect on social media.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
People of color, and especially women of color, are definitely held to different standards by fandom sometimes and it is a big problem.

That being said...in this particular context, leftist internet is just as dismissive of white men like Kevin Sorbo or Dean Cain who openly espouse fundamentalist bullshit, so trying to make it sound like Letitia Wright got turbo-canceled for being a black woman feels a lot like trying to appropriate a legitimate problem just to make Disney look bad.

Disney does a great job making themselves look bad all on their own, there's no need to reach like this.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BrianWilly posted:

…trying to make it sound like Letitia Wright got turbo-canceled for being a black woman feels a lot like trying to appropriate a legitimate problem just to make Disney look bad.

I agree with this take. I’d rather not defend a massive corporation, and absolutely see Disney’s interest in casting POCs to be more opportunistic than genuine, but complaining that Disney is racist because they *might* sideline a black actress for her lovely political beliefs in a franchise with an almost all-black cast is a reach.

I’m on board with any conversation about how the MCU’s politics are warmed-over centrist dogshit, and its interest in representation only runs as deep as whatever they deem marketable to the most people. But…truly, what an odd hill to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

I agree with this take. I’d rather not defend a massive corporation, and absolutely see Disney’s interest in casting POCs to be more opportunistic than genuine, but complaining that Disney is racist because they *might* sideline a black actress for her lovely political beliefs in a franchise with an almost all-black cast is a reach.

I’m on board with any conversation about how the MCU’s politics are warmed-over centrist dogshit, and its interest in representation only runs as deep as whatever they deem marketable to the most people. But…truly, what an odd hill to die on.

Hot take, I actually found Falcon's speech to have teeth because of what he did vs what Karli and the GRC did to get what they want back from the other side. Karli did nothing but use her followers and everyone who helped her survive as nothing more than a symbol of sacrifice in an losing and escalating war that so many failed revolutionaries and activists before her, she could have kickstarted a worldwide revolution using the woke and breadtube revolutionaries who are moved by her message and instead arrange a kidnapping like how the Red Army Faction did and shared the same fate. Meanwhile the GRC relied so heavily on being the big bad government that they think of everyone as replacable from Walker and Hogskin and the military who already been through a war on terror now having to fight a war against 20 million refugees and creating more John Walkers and making it look like a Rich Man's war against the displaced refugees.

Meanwhile Falcon show that getting the community together from both sides is how he got his stuff back without stepping on others, how people who were gone for 5 years like Bucky found a place and purpose that made him slept well for the first time in so long and made him proud to say "I am not the Winter Soldier, I am Bucky Buchanan Barnes and I am a part of the community who helped fixed Sam's boat"