Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wolrah posted:

I run a two-over-one setup and mounting options for that are limited. Basically just the one unit sold under VIVO, WALI, and a few other brands.

Even as is the big one is mounted low enough that if I sit up straight my eyes are almost level with the top of the screen and with the upper bar mounted at the absolute top the upper monitors barely clear. Thus the offset VESA mount part, I have plenty of width to work with in the arms I just need the upper monitors higher than the mount I have allows for. I haven't been able to find any compatible desk mount bars that are taller either.

I think my stand could handle that. Put the bottom monitor a bit to the side from the stand, one of the top monitor arms would be extended out while the other hinged close.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Holy poo poo my man. I think you may have spontaneously converted me into a cable management nazi.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Monitors are implementing the spec correctly, but the spec is garbage and shouldn't exist and monitors should just pretend they don't have the feature.

It's quite likely that Microsoft's fix is really just some hacky poo poo where they delay making a decision, which just transfers some of the suck from the sleeping monitor situation to actual unplug situations like laptop docks.

Microsoft does that to avoid a situation where you have windows or icons out of the screen space but can't actually move your mouse to them so you can't get them back. It makes sense, it just needs to not kick in when a monitor goes dark.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What the actual gently caress.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yes, that was my point. There's not really a way for Microsoft to truly fix a poo poo spec where the GPU can't tell if a loving monitor is connected or not. That whole concept is absolute trash.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
If a monitor seems to disappear the windows absolutely have to be moved, I've had enough experience with Linuxes that don't do that. But there really should be a simple solution for it. If a window had to be automatically relocated, if the monitor reappears before someone manually moves the window the OS should move it back to the original spot.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

you sick son of a bitch

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Saukkis posted:

I think my stand could handle that. Put the bottom monitor a bit to the side from the stand, one of the top monitor arms would be extended out while the other hinged close.

I'm getting hives.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p 144hz+ monitor, budget around $400 US (but I'm in Canada so asterisk.)

Amazon currently has the Gigabyte M27Q and LG 27GL83A at the same price. Should I go for the M27Q? Is there anything else to consider?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The 27GL83A has worse contrast. The M27Q has BGR subpixels, which means that any app that does RGB subpixel text anti-aliasing on its own rather than using Cleartype (including chromium, the issue is more common than you might think) will have... not great... looking text.

Any time you're outside the US it's worth looking at what else is available. Monitor pricing varies much more, not as much in Canada as other places but enough to be worth looking around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anecdotally, having used both, I prefer the M27Q to the 83A.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Any time you're outside the US it's worth looking at what else is available. Monitor pricing varies much more, not as much in Canada as other places but enough to be worth looking around.

Any suggestions for comparable models to price check?

I use Firefox typically so the Chromium one isn't an issue at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I did some reading up on it, and since my second monitor would be RGB it sounds like it will probably look bad if I do the Cleartype settings for the M27Q.

What if I raise my budget? I don't want one of those absurd $1500 Predator monitors or anything, but if I'm looking up to like $750 is there a stand-out there or should I just go with the LG and save the cash?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I bought the Gigabyte G27Q and I am happy with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Cleartype settings are per-monitor, that's not a problem.

There are more expensive 1440p monitors, but it's really hard to justify any of them. You're talking about paying 50-100% more for a monitor that's better, but not THAT much better unless you have extremely specific desires. Cheap 1440p high refresh monitors are in a good spot and have been for a while now, you're probably going to be perfectly happy with any of them.

As far as things that might be in the same price range, there's the Viewsonic VX2758-2kp-mhd (the slowest of the good monitors but often significantly cheaper than the rest, worth considering), LG 27GL850 (same thing as the 27GL83A but with a USB hub), the 27GP850 (newer, slightly better version), the Asus VG27Q (decent performer with better contrast than the LGs, but it does deep sleep so until and unless MS's fix is implemented this fall multi-monitor would be annoying), and then all those good but really expensive higher refresh monitors like the Odyssey G7, AW2721D, XB273U GXbmiipruzx.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

K8.0 posted:

Cleartype settings are per-monitor, that's not a problem.

There are more expensive 1440p monitors, but it's really hard to justify any of them. You're talking about paying 50-100% more for a monitor that's better, but not THAT much better unless you have extremely specific desires. Cheap 1440p high refresh monitors are in a good spot and have been for a while now, you're probably going to be perfectly happy with any of them.

As far as things that might be in the same price range, there's the Viewsonic VX2758-2kp-mhd (the slowest of the good monitors but often significantly cheaper than the rest, worth considering), LG 27GL850 (same thing as the 27GL83A but with a USB hub), the 27GP850 (newer, slightly better version), the Asus VG27Q (decent performer with better contrast than the LGs, but it does deep sleep so until and unless MS's fix is implemented this fall multi-monitor would be annoying), and then all those good but really expensive higher refresh monitors like the Odyssey G7, AW2721D, XB273U GXbmiipruzx.

I have an AW2721D and it is really good, but would be even better if I had something newer than a 4 year old video card to push it... If I had to name a major downside it would be the built in USB3 hub, which causes windows to force install the dell alienware control center and a bunch of other drivers that are absolute garbage and will frequently lock up or sit idling at 100% CPU usage in the background. So just don't ever plug in the USB cable to it.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 31, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just picked up the Philips Brilliance 279P1. Why is this thing so hard to find?

Actually, why are a LOT of monitors hard to find? Is it the semiconductor shortage?

Also, is that a good monitor to stick on an M1 MBA?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The sale price on the 27GL83A ended bringing it back up to $500 CAD.

I decided I'll test out the even more absurdly named MAG274QRF-QD, since it's only $100 more but rated solidly higher.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just picked up the Philips Brilliance 279P1. Why is this thing so hard to find?

Actually, why are a LOT of monitors hard to find? Is it the semiconductor shortage?

Also, is that a good monitor to stick on an M1 MBA?

I know for a period companies/employees were scrambling to get monitors for WFH, may be some residual effect of that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of 27GLwhatevers, the new one I just got has that sleep mode thing that my other two 27GLwhatevers don’t have which has led to my computer crashing

It’s that or g-sync doing it I guess

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I know for a period companies/employees were scrambling to get monitors for WFH, may be some residual effect of that.

I could see that. I found the 279P1 randomly on a list of "best monitors for USB-C" and it was sold out, then it came back in stock hours later and I grabbed it. Now it's no longer in stock and it's kind of weird.

It's hard to find a 4K 27" monitor under $400 it seems.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My x34 is starting to crap out on me. I am considering making the jump to an LG c1 48".

I know burn in is a concern, but how bad is it for static Windows ui elements if the brightness is turned down to something reasonable?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I just got my 55" bx like a month ago. I have a completely black background, hide the task bar, and don't have any icons on my desktop. I also set my screensaver to turn on after 10 mins. I also shelled out the extra cash for the 5 year protection plan from best buy, that covers more than 3 stuck pixels and ghost images (burn in).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Saukkis posted:

Oh my gently caress, I’m disorganized but what in the actual gently caress MY EYES MY loving EYES

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's the back, that's where all the cables go. Under my desks looks worse but I have five PCs here.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rexxed posted:

It's the back, that's where all the cables go. Under my desks looks worse but I have five PCs here.

Are you saying anything in that photo that is not the back of the monitors looks any better?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Three Olives posted:

Are you saying anything in that photo that is not the back of the monitors looks any better?

I keep my power strips on the ground but assorted desk cruft of someone with a bunch of projects going on looks normal to me.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I gather the LG 27GL83A is Freesync capable but can it do the 144 Hz needful when using that?

Sorry, I'm a big monitor dumb :dumb:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

I gather the LG 27GL83A is Freesync capable but can it do the 144 Hz needful when using that?

Sorry, I'm a big monitor dumb :dumb:

Yeah that won't be a problem. The Freesync range for that display is 48-144Hz and it will multiply frames if you dip under 48hz to meet that range.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Shipon posted:

Yeah that won't be a problem. The Freesync range for that display is 48-144Hz and it will multiply frames if you dip under 48hz to meet that range.

Cool. So I'm sitting in front of one with a Radeon 5700 and Windows 10 and the Radeon software insists the monitor can only do 60 Hz but it does recognize it can do Freesync. I installed the LG "driver" by downloading their package and manually pointing Windows 10 towards the driver files. No luck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

Cool. So I'm sitting in front of one with a Radeon 5700 and Windows 10 and the Radeon software insists the monitor can only do 60 Hz but it does recognize it can do Freesync. I installed the LG "driver" by downloading their package and manually pointing Windows 10 towards the driver files. No luck.

Does Windows show you other refresh rates under Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Does Windows show you other refresh rates under Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings?

It does not:

Also if it helps this is what the Radeon software says:

It is connected via the LG provided DVI cable.

Edit 2: Gonna try HDMI.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 3, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sorry, no idea. have you tried HDMI?

i'd also see check if disabling adaptive sync on the monitor does anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

It is connected via the LG provided DVI cable.

Edit 2: Gonna try HDMI.

the 83A doesn't have a DVI port, afaik

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

the 83A doesn't have a DVI port, afaik

Apparently this one does, the quick setup guide says "27GL83A" and references a DisplayPort port and included the cable. It is indeed a DP cable and the monitor has two HDMI ports under it.

Turning off adaptive sync forced everything to 144Hz according to Windows and the Radeon software, but now the Radeon drivers think the display doesn't support Freesync anymore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

Apparently this one does, the quick setup guide says "27GL83A" and references a DisplayPort port and included the cable. It is indeed a DP cable and the monitor has two HDMI ports under it.

Turning off adaptive sync forced everything to 144Hz according to Windows and the Radeon software, but now the Radeon drivers think the display doesn't support Freesync anymore.

Yeah freesync is adaptive sync. That was more to test if you can get it to 144hz.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Yeah freesync is adaptive sync. That was more to test if you can get it to 144hz.

Please forgive my stupidity on this matter: So if I have adaptive sync enabled on the monitor and the video card drivers are thumbs up on the Freesync support I can disable vsync in various video games and everything will just take care of itself between about 48 to 144 fps?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

Please forgive my stupidity on this matter: So if I have adaptive sync enabled on the monitor and the video card drivers are thumbs up on the Freesync support I can disable vsync in various video games and everything will just take care of itself between about 48 to 144 fps?

you should ask one of the resident experts, but afaik yes that should work, except from what I understand it's preferable to set the max fps just under the monitor's max refresh rate.

are you now using DisplayPort?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

you should ask one of the resident experts, but afaik yes that should work, except from what I understand it's preferable to set the max fps just under the monitor's max refresh rate.

are you now using DisplayPort?

Always was using DisplayPort, haven't tried HDMI since the adaptive sync switch seemed to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

well unless i'm confused, DP isn't DVI.