Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Darkrenown posted:

I'm curious as a non-Souls-player, did Glare miss stuff or is this really as obscure as it sounds? "OK, so monsters drop souls and you spend these souls to level, oh but don't spend these souls or you can beat some boss at the end of the game" sounds like a horrendous trap for players. Especially if they have an item description telling you to spend them.

It's not quite that bad. You have a currency counter for generic "souls" that monsters and bosses all drop, which you can spend directly.
Bosses also drop specific consumable items called, like "The Soul of the Pursuer" etc, which you can either eat to gain a chunk of currency-souls or use up to craft unique boss items.

Personally I never use the consumable boss souls in dark souls games because they're one-time-only drops and I'm an item hoarder and completionist. You can always farm more generic currency souls but you'll never get another chance to craft the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword. (actually in DS2 this isn't quite the case because of bonfire ascetics -- you can advance an area of the map to newgame+ mode permanently, and fight the boss again for more drops.)

edit: also it looks like the translation for that specific giant soul item made it worse. The original japanese said "使用によりソウルを獲得するが・・・" which translates to "Can be used to obtain souls, but...." -- the TL changed that "but" to an "only...." which misleads a lot of players.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Does Far Cry 5 have any of those annoying missions where you're on drugs and have to kill a bunch of enemies?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

rain dogs posted:

Does Far Cry 5 have any of those annoying missions where you're on drugs and have to kill a bunch of enemies?

Yes

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

:rip: Beyond the incredibly ambiguous "only..." bit (I'd bet it was more overtly mysterious and leading in Japanese but hell I know) I think they do also put the Giant Souls down with the rest of the consumable-but-technically-still-key items and away from the other souls. Still not at all obvious, though.

Spoilers for stuff you're now locked out of:

Killing Vendrick does these things:
1) A pile of his discarded armor will appear in the arena where you fought him, which will resonate with the Ashen Mist Heart and allow you to go into his memories from before he was hollowed and talk to him.
2) Way back in Shrine of Amana was a side path to a mysterious door. Once Vendrick is defeated and you're human, the door will open and allow you to loot Vendrick's armor, his soul, and his crown.
As an extension of 1&2) Each crown you bring him will unlock some extra dialogue. Once you obtain all four crowns and bring them to him he will bequeath his blessing onto them - from then on if you die while wearing any of the four crowns, you won't lose your humanity.
And finally, that bonus boss: If Vendrick is dead and Nashandra hasn't been confronted yet, Aldia will show up immediately after you kill Nashandra. Aldia as in the stupid goopy faced monster head that keeps rambling at you from all those bonfires. And he doesn't transform into some cool sword dude form or a dragon or whatever, he just teleports around as-is and does some fire magic at you until you exhaust his health. The only thing you get from the fight (he doesn't even drop any souls, let alone items) is that it will unlock the alternate ending where you can choose to walk away from the Throne. And Aldia, not being truly killable, rambles some more about how nothing you did really mattered either way. So no, you really didn't miss a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

There is one more really cool boss you can go track down after Alonne that would be another pretty solid cap off to your adventure. It involves Darkdiver Grandahl and it's a whole process, but it has a pretty good payoff.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 28, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PlushCow posted:

Weird, I play Red Dead Online (on Steam) pretty regularly on PC and this doesn't happen. I wonder if the campaign is different somehow; any cursor disappears once I touch the controller (xbox controller). What kind of controller are you using?

Wireless 360 Controller

Play posted:

Yeah I have never had this problem either. Maybe upon startup make absolutely certain that your mouse is off the screen is never touched while the game is running?

You could even experiment with unplugging your mouse completely right after starting the game up and see if that does anything.

Closing the wheel re-centers the cursor. 99% Sure unplugging the mouse wouldn't do anything, but I guess I could give it a shot? Like Windows still has a cursor, there's just no peripheral plugged in to control it. So I doubt that'd make the game go, "no, gamepad only"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sab669 posted:

I've started playing RDR2, one of the few games I prefer a gamepad instead of KBM.... and I gotta say, it annoys the absolute poo poo out of me that every time I open the Weapon Wheel, the mouse cursor appears in the center of the screen and doesn't go away.

Only thing I can seem to do is simply drag mouse off the screen, then switch back to the gamepad. Every single time I wanna change my weapon. :staredog:

Try turning off the steam overlay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rain dogs posted:

Not only does it have a lot of them they’re even main missions this time!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

And you're ripped out of the open world and forced to play through them no matter what you're currently doing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Palpek posted:

And you're ripped out of the open world and forced to play through them no matter what you're currently doing.

Good lord that sucked so bad.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I specifically remember flying a helicopter around trying to see what the game ceiling was when my character was suddenly hit with sleeping powder and abducted. I actually found it amusing, what really annoyed me with the storyline was how obvious it was to me that it was a bad idea to destroy the missile silo after defeating the bad guy stronghold. It was the first boss I did and it seemed pretty clear that it would be a short sighted decision

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sab669 posted:

Closing the wheel re-centers the cursor. 99% Sure unplugging the mouse wouldn't do anything, but I guess I could give it a shot? Like Windows still has a cursor, there's just no peripheral plugged in to control it. So I doubt that'd make the game go, "no, gamepad only"

That's true but it sounds more like a RDR2 issue than a Windows issue and it could help if RDR2 never thinks that the mouse is an option. It's bringing it to the center of your screen because that's where it would be if you were using a mouse. So clearly it is momentarily believing that you are trying to use that.

I still think you're probably right, but couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Palpek posted:

I think I managed to escape it a couple times by diving underneath the water. Although I'm not positive it's been a while

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I had a real trippy moment where I went to a Walmart and all of a sudden "Only You" started playing over the PA system and I got REALLY nervous. Then I realized why I got nervous.

Thanks, Far Cry 5. :ohdear:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1398328927043604483?s=21

:ughh:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Not that I would put it past Ubisoft to do that, but the headline is cherry-picked.

quote:

But we also fell in love with the culture and people we met. When we came out of that, it wasn’t that we felt we had to do Cuba, we realised it’s a complicated island and our game doesn’t want to make a political statement about what’s happening in Cuba specifically. Beyond that, we’re drawing inspiration from guerilla movements around the world and throughout history. For us, it felt like doing the island of Yara would help us tell that story while being very open with our politics and inspiration.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Volte posted:

Not that I would put it past Ubisoft to do that, but the headline is cherry-picked.

Yeah that seems pretty reasonable. I can also understand not wanting, as a drat video game company, to take a serious political position on a very complex issue. Just stick to the simplistic "oppression and cruelty=bad" message that they have already perfected throughout the series

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Play posted:

That's true but it sounds more like a RDR2 issue than a Windows issue and it could help if RDR2 never thinks that the mouse is an option. It's bringing it to the center of your screen because that's where it would be if you were using a mouse. So clearly it is momentarily believing that you are trying to use that.

I still think you're probably right, but couldn't hurt to give it a try.
I think I managed to escape it a couple times by diving underneath the water. Although I'm not positive it's been a while

I had a similar cursor issue once long ago and it was some Discord game overlay I think, I turned it off and the problem was solved.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

check your steam invites you git :arghfist::v:

WELL I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS YOU

don't harass me I've been sick

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I loved the Batman Arkham games (well, maybe not Origins), but ended up not getting Arkham Knight at launch because of the whole performance fiasco and then I kept hearing comments about it being overbloated (especially the riddler poo poo)/having too much batmobile that it kinda fell of my radar.

How accurate are those complaints? Is the bloat mostly optional stuff like, let's say Mad Max where you'd have to be insane to 100% it but it's great fun as long as you go in knowing that? Or did they tie it to progression somehow and you have to run it?

How's the Batmobile?

And finally, if I get it, is it worth getting the complete edition over the base? (Gonna guess no considering I'm already assuming the base game may be more than enough but there may be some hidden gem)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Edmond Dantes posted:

I loved the Batman Arkham games (well, maybe not Origins), but ended up not getting Arkham Knight at launch because of the whole performance fiasco and then I kept hearing comments about it being overbloated (especially the riddler poo poo)/having too much batmobile that it kinda fell of my radar.

How accurate are those complaints? Is the bloat mostly optional stuff like, let's say Mad Max where you'd have to be insane to 100% it but it's great fun as long as you go in knowing that? Or did they tie it to progression somehow and you have to run it?

How's the Batmobile?

And finally, if I get it, is it worth getting the complete edition over the base? (Gonna guess no considering I'm already assuming the base game may be more than enough but there may be some hidden gem)

It's fun, dont know/remember about the DLC. The batmobile is fine and pretty neat for 90% of the game but can be a real pain at the end, as your talent points are a shared pool between Batman and the batmobile and some of the endgame batmobile sequences are a huge loving pain and if you didn't put some points into it you will regret it.

Riddler poo poo is overbloated in every Arkham game so ignore it and watch whatever poo poo it unlocks on youtube after you beat the game. Have fun!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You only have to 100% Arkham Knight if you want the special good ending.

The batmobile is fine but some people don't like that they use it a lot for various things

I'm just now finding out it even had dlc so I guess it wasn't any good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most of the DLC is skippable, but the Batgirl mini-campaign was pretty good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's the Batmobile?

If you liked Arkham City I feel like Knight is a slam dunk. I actually enjoyed the batmobile although I totally understand people who were annoyed at certain points in the story when it is forced on you. Getting the ability to shoot yourself like a rocket out of the batmobile is a super fun way to get around the city.

Also don't feel forced to 100% it. You can always watch the 'special' ending on youtube. The riddler stuff isn't much different than it was in City but there is just MORE of it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

rain dogs posted:

Normally the bad guys send 100s of mooks with guns at you which you mow down. At half a dozen points in the story they send out all their elite crack shot troops armed with magical drug bullets that let them capture you so the big bads can throw a monologue at you and then allow you to escape and kill a few 100 more of the regular armed guys bit this time on drugs.

Somewhere, someone asked a monkey’s paw to never use malaria as a mechanic in a Far Cry game again and this was the result.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, thanks. I'll get the base version, will probably be more than enough to scratch the itch, and I can always get the dlc down the line.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Holy hell it's only 4.99? I think I'll grab it too why the hell not. It's a pretty new game with excellent graphics and tons of content. And I played a few hours of it before and really enjoyed myself.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, I didn't realize how deep the Arkham discounts had gotten... am I right that if I enjoyed asylum & city, I should just skip right past Origins and go to Knight?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play posted:

Yeah that seems pretty reasonable. I can also understand not wanting, as a drat video game company, to take a serious political position on a very complex issue. Just stick to the simplistic "oppression and cruelty=bad" message that they have already perfected throughout the series

"We talked to Cuban guerrilla fighters not because we want to acknowledge what they were fighting for but we do want to monetize their aesthetic"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, I didn't realize how deep the Arkham discounts had gotten... am I right that if I enjoyed asylum & city, I should just skip right past Origins and go to Knight?
Origins is simultaneously the best written of all of the Arkham games, but by far the jankiest, so its up to you really. You don't miss out on much plot wise, but I still have a soft spot for Origins.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

Origins is simultaneously the best written of all of the Arkham games, but by far the jankiest, so its up to you really. You don't miss out on much plot wise, but I still have a soft spot for Origins.

I loved, loved Origins. The boss fights were awesome.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Play posted:

Just stick to the simplistic "revolution and fighting bad guys=bad" message that they have already perfected throughout the series

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao UBISoft strikes again.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Omi no Kami posted:

I really liked Origins, and the Mr Freeze dlc especially was good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"We talked to Cuban guerrilla fighters not because we want to acknowledge what they were fighting for but we do want to monetize their aesthetic"

That just about sums it up, lol. Still probably a smart decision on their part.

Plus the bad guys in the game supposed to be Batista? Or Castro? I assume Batista so does that make your character an authoritarian communist themselves? It just opens up a whole can of worms that can be avoided by borrowing from but not explicitly representing in detail. For better or worse

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wish I could say that nobody buys Ubisoft's whole "It's not political guys, we swear" bullshit but I see it get brought to bear against criticism in other parts of the internet all the time so they'll probably keep trotting it out while making objectively political games.

I feel like once you paraphrase Niemöller, like they did in that live action Watchin' Dogs Legion trailer, you're kind of out of rope.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The villain is drawing upon Batista but he was voted in democratically so it's the people's fault, no external coercion here don't look too deeply into why a Latin American coded nation might be facing economic pressures or political malaise

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

meh

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 29, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Play posted:

That just about sums it up, lol. Still probably a smart decision on their part.

Plus the bad guys in the game supposed to be Batista? Or Castro? I assume Batista so does that make your character an authoritarian communist themselves? It just opens up a whole can of worms that can be avoided by borrowing from but not explicitly representing in detail. For better or worse

ten to one not-Batista is fighting not-Castro and you choose which one to help

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh lol I was working off bad intel from another poster who said that the Esposito character was Batista-like...

Yara is described as "an island frozen in time" because of international blockades and he's trying to modernize his country with limited resources but ends up building a militarized cult of personality, I wonder who they might be trying to not reference with that... no political argument embedded in there I'm sure

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I think it must be a joke for someone at Ubisoft to see how often they can get away with using the phrase "not trying to be political" when discussing games that are clearly being political. See also: Corporate-facist post-Brexit London (W_D Legion), the US Government's failed attempt to deal with a pandemic that kills a significant portion of the population (Division 2). Okay, that game did come out before the COVID-19 pandemic, so them predicting the future shouldn't really count. :) Instead, what about the "press release" they put out that said Mexico was stationing troops at the border and building a wall to keep American refugees out of their country? Or pretty much anything about the Division itself - the Secure Homeland Division are a bunch of sleeper agents who pick up guns and start shooting "bad guys" (other Americans) when they get activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metro Exodus is only 11.99 this weekend, 70% off. In case anyone who likes shooters hasn't played it. It's pretty good.