Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

shades of eternity posted:

Haven't heard of the other two until now...what happened?

Which two are the other two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

They're actual rapists.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Jack - Sexual harassment
Mickey - Sexual harassment / sexual assault
Adam - Sexually assaulted 2 women

Bruno Langley, the actor who played Adam, plead guilty but explained to the Judge that he was drunk during the assault and asked that be taken into account. He was sentenced to a twelve-month community order, 40 days of rehabilitation activity, he was required to observe a curfew, wear an electronic tag, pay compensation to his victims, and register as a sex offender for 5 years. He got off light.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1394336918586937344?s=20
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1396175289093402633?s=20

The Mystery of the Disappearing and Reappearing Mustache

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Way to bury the lead that James Joyce is working at Big Finish now. Maybe if he keeps the fart stuff in check they'll let him write something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

Way to bury the lead that James Joyce is working at Big Finish now. Maybe if he keeps the fart stuff in check they'll let him write something.

Maybe he could do a follow-up to Aliens of London.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

They also have Mark Twain.

https://www.bigfinish.com/contributors/v/Samuel-Clemens-668

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1396859038856581125?s=20

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I picked up Static in the Sixth Doctor sale. Between this and Curse of Davros, Flip is going in the higher tier of Big Finish companions. She's a little Lucie Miller, a little Donna Noble, while still having a fleshed out and unique personality. Colin Baker just seems to get very lucky with casting companions who have good chemistry with him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I picked up Static in the Sixth Doctor sale. Between this and Curse of Davros, Flip is going in the higher tier of Big Finish companions. She's a little Lucie Miller, a little Donna Noble, while still having a fleshed out and unique personality. Colin Baker just seems to get very lucky with casting companions who have good chemistry with him.

I just hope Lisa Greenwood, who plays Flip, is doing well. She caught COVID, and in Feb tweeted that she was having some serious post-covid health problems, and has only tweeted once since then. :(

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That's a shame, she seems nice, hope she recovers alright.

The Sixth Doctor has had some great audio original companions - Evelyn, Charley, Flip, Constance. That and they've improved Peri from the TV version.

Just listened to Static, and rather enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great, it felt like it could be one of those really creepy episodes of nuWho. I don't think its as good as The Chimes of Midnight, as some reviewers have suggested (for one, it lacks the personal hooks for the Doctor and the companion that Chimes did so well).

The 7th Doctor votes are out and....no Fearmonger or Flip-Flop? Odd. Most of the winning entries aren't stand-alone, and I've not really listened to any of the Hex story stuff. Anything that's worth picking up that works standalone?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Fires of Vulcan (Mel)
Dust Breeding (Ace)
Colditz (Ace)
Bang-Bang-A-Boom (Mel)
Night Thoughts (Ace & Hex)
Frozen Time (no companion)
Robophobia (introduces Liv Chenka, who later joins the Eighth Doctor)
House of Blue Fire (introduces Pvt Sally Morgan)
The Defectors (Jo Grant; finds himself in the Third Doctor's place at UNIT in the 70s)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

The Fires of Vulcan (Mel)
Dust Breeding (Ace)
Colditz (Ace)
Bang-Bang-A-Boom (Mel)
Night Thoughts (Ace & Hex)
Frozen Time (no companion)
Robophobia (introduces Liv Chenka, who later joins the Eighth Doctor)
House of Blue Fire (introduces Pvt Sally Morgan)
The Defectors (Jo Grant; finds himself in the Third Doctor's place at UNIT in the 70s)

Oh I meant from the Radio Times winners, but thanks anyway! I was hoping Robophobia would make the poll. since Liv is great and I haven't listened to her first story yet, but nope.

I'm really surprised that Colditz, Flip-Flop and the Fearmonger didn't chart. Next is the Eighth Doctor poll. Chimes of Midnight is currently winning.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Checking the RT list, Night Thoughts is on it, and it's creepy as hell (it was also submitted to the BBC in the late 80s at TV script, so it's a bit of a Lost Story).

A Death in the Family is amazing, but it does require knowledge like Hex's backstory, and the villain Nobody No One (who first appeared in the story "The Word Lord" for the Monthly story "Forty-Five". Fortunately, the one part ep is FREE! https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-forty-five-the-word-lord-337

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Checking the RT list, Night Thoughts is on it, and it's creepy as hell (it was also submitted to the BBC in the late 80s at TV script, so it's a bit of a Lost Story).

A Death in the Family is amazing, but it does require knowledge like Hex's backstory, and the villain Nobody No One (who first appeared in the story "The Word Lord" for the Monthly story "Forty-Five". Fortunately, the one part ep is FREE! https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-forty-five-the-word-lord-337

Protect and Survive sounds amazing, but isn't it the middle part of a trilogy? I've got the Word Lord unlocked, I'll give that a whirl.
As for Hex, I did listen to Project Twilight and Project Lazarus.

The Eighth Doctor poll should be interesting - with it only covering the Monthly Range, and not any any other Eight content, that's a lot of material excluded. 8/Charley was a very strong pairing though (and it would be nice if Charley could actually get a somewhat happy ending at some point, rather than just having more and more misery heaped on her!). Dark Eyes was outstanding, but it doesn't count due to be being a boxset, shame, when its one of McGann's strongest performances.

I like the underlying juxtaposition of the Eighth Doctor - this romantic, adventurer who slowly gets pushed and burnt out by a universe that rejects his philosophy in the Time War. and Zagreus is good, just strange :colbert:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 25, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Protect and Survive sounds amazing, but isn't it the middle part of a trilogy? I've got the Word Lord unlocked, I'll give that a whirl.
As for Hex, I did listen to Project Twilight and Project Lazarus.

The Eighth Doctor poll should be interesting - with it only covering the Monthly Range, and not any any other Eight content, that's a lot of material excluded. 8/Charley was a very strong pairing though (and it would be nice if Charley could actually get a somewhat happy ending at some point, rather than just having more and more misery heaped on her!). Dark Eyes was outstanding, but it doesn't count due to be being a boxset, shame, when its one of McGann's strongest performances.

I like the underlying juxtaposition of the Eighth Doctor - this romantic, adventurer who slowly gets pushed and burnt out by a universe that rejects his philosophy in the Time War. and Zagreus is good, just strange :colbert:

Protect and Survive is good, but depressing, and it comes within a unique storyline where it turns out that with the TARDIS being split in two, a black one and a white one, the Doctor has a second set of companions that Ace and Hex have no clue about

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1397560657491369986

Time to see what lies in Season 6b

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, BF released next years Classic Doctors boxset schedule

Jan: First Doctor
Feb: Third Doctor Vol 1 (plus Ninth Doctor Vol 4)
March: Fourth Doctor S11 Vol 1
April: Fifth Doctor Vol 1 (plus Eighth Doctor Stranded Vol 4)
May: Sixth Doctor Vol 1, Seventh Doctor Vol 1 (plus War Doctor Begins Vol 3)
June: Fourth Doctor S11 Vol 2
July: Second Doctor: Beyond War Games (plus Ten & Six in Out of Time 3)
Aug: Sixth Doctor Vol 2
Sept: Fifth Doctor Vol 2 (plus Tenth Doctor: Classic Companions)
Oct: Third Doctor Vol 2
Nov: Seventh Doctor Vol 2, Eighth Doctor Vol 1
Dec: Eighth Doctor Vol 2 (plus War Doctor Begins Vol 4)

The First and Second Doctors only appear to be getting one box set apiece.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So this is where we get the Jo Martin regen?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I know they've had Fraser Hines do his Troughton impression for ages now, but did they actually get other actors to do Hartnell and Pertwee as well? I only ask because I remember way back in the early days, when BF were asked "would you ever consider hiring other actors to play Doctors One, Two, and/or Three, since their actors are no longer with us", and BF replied "Oh no, that would be terribly disrespectful".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know they've had Fraser Hines do his Troughton impression for ages now, but did they actually get other actors to do Hartnell and Pertwee as well? I only ask because I remember way back in the early days, when BF were asked "would you ever consider hiring other actors to play Doctors One, Two, and/or Three, since their actors are no longer with us", and BF replied "Oh no, that would be terribly disrespectful".

They have three actors who play the First Doctor: William Russell in stories that feature Ian, Peter Purves in stories that feature Steven, and David Bradley plays his version of the First Doctor alongside Jamie Glover as Ian, Claudia Grant as Susan, and Jemma Powell as Barbara (the actors who played William Russell, Carole Ann Ford, and Jaqueline Hill in "An Adventure in Space and Time")

Tim Treloar plays the Third Doctor in the Third Doctor Adventures. Some don't like his performance, but I think he does a good job.

Jonathan Carley will be playing a younger version of The War Doctor in the upcoming "The War Doctor Begins" series.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 26, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve been thinking about the big finish competition. Your story has to be absolutely exemplary to get noticed and stand a chance, but the established BF writers can turn in any old lazy story full of gubbins.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been thinking about the big finish competition. Your story has to be absolutely exemplary to get noticed and stand a chance, but the established BF writers can turn in any old lazy story full of gubbins.

*cough* Ravagers *cough*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Even if you don't win, you've at least got a look-in. Sophie Iles on Twitter mentioned that she entered the contest, didn't win, but later wrote one of the "Time Lord Victorious" Short Trips featuring the Master.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1397839999324860423?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 27, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wow, amazed to see Jo Martin is already doing Big Finish :hai:

The_Doctor posted:

So this is where we get the Jo Martin regen?

:hfive:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I doubt Ruthdoc's from 6b, since Three falls out of the TARDIS wearing Two's clothing, even after all the work Two does for the Time Lords during his exile

Unless that's why the Curator notes that sometimes the Doctor might revisit a few old faces during their lives?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really not confident that RuthDoc is going to stick. Martin was great but it just fucks the franchise way too much to not be later retconned into an merged alt universe or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I do admire the way they've been sticking her in promo stuff all the time though when they show ALL the Doctors.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yeah, it is pretty impressive how well they've been able to sell her as a real-deal Doctor just by consistently framing her as one without revealing basically anything about how she actually fits into the lineage.

Before the Series 12 finale I would have said her being a 6B Two-and-a-halfth Doctor is unlikely because the show doesn't usually go to those weird margins of canon for plot points as big as that - and also because I personally kind of dislike 6B because it's just a big mess of fan-rationalisations for things like why Three had a tattoo (it's because Pertwee had a tattoo) and why Two's hair was grey in the Two Doctors (it's because Troughton's hair was greyer in the 80s than in the 60s) and in general I just think we as viewers and fans should be capable of taking things like that as they are - but then it turns out the season arc was Morbius Doctors so who even knows at this point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

I doubt Ruthdoc's from 6b, since Three falls out of the TARDIS wearing Two's clothing

When they gave her amnesia (which was so powerful she has multiple relapses when she was 8) she got confused and put on her old clothes! Problem solved once and for all!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They'd never let BF do 6B if they're going to do it on screen. Bf is doing 6B so...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1398308840404312070?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yesssss

I want to go to it, but it’s £60 a ticket, and that’s yikes money.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What do they actually mean by immersive theatrical experience?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

What do they actually mean by immersive theatrical experience?

From the website:

What is an immersive experience? posted:

One of the fastest growing forms of live entertainment! Audiences become participants in an experience rather than purely spectators at a show. We build detailed worlds that audiences can explore at their leisure. Productions feature multiple spaces, big and small, all with working features and amenities.

So I'm guessing some sort of semi-guided tour of set recreations with live actors, possibly with some CYOA-style stuff with the pre-taped material, something like that?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but where is the '6b' theory coming from for Ruthdoc?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

happyhippy posted:

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but where is the '6b' theory coming from for Ruthdoc?

Considering she has a TARDIS stuck as a phonebox, it’s the only period of time that works without going stupid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

From the website:
So I'm guessing some sort of semi-guided tour of set recreations with live actors, possibly with some CYOA-style stuff with the pre-taped material, something like that?

Sounds kind of neat!

happyhippy posted:

The alternative as shown in the show so far (which has presented VERY little info and from a notoriously unreliable source of the Master via a supposedly infallible device that was shown to be fallible in its first ever appearance thanks to interference by... the Master!) is that there have been a million different versions of the Doctor before Hartnell, and they aren't really a Time Lord, and also their TARDIS looks like a Phonebox pre-Hartnell. Which is.... incredibly loving stupid. So people latched on to a different silly old fan theory (less dumb than the Morbius Doctors thing Chibnall is referencing that has been negated and countered a billion times in the show itself) that between Troughton falling into the void in The War Games and stumbling out of the TARDIS in Spearhead from Space he was forced to engage in a variety of missions for the Celestial Intervention Agency (seriously, the CIA, this was an actual thing in the show) including the events of The Two Doctors.

As Forktoss said, a lot of this is just fans trying to figure out how to reconcile contradictory things seen across the 50+ years of the show, when the simpler explanation is purely,"Because the actor was older" or "the writers had an idea that didn't work out and they just discarded it" - unfortunately it seems like Chibnall was one of those people who was absolutely determined to "solve" the "problem" of the Mobius Doctors from The Brain of Mobius, and just hosed everything up gigantically in the process.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 29, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

Considering she has a TARDIS stuck as a phonebox, it’s the only period of time that works without going stupid.

We know there are alt universes, so why not an alt doc?
Tennantdoc clone went to that alt dimension with Rose, so have some way of Ruthdoc being the 13th from her universe.

Edit: Oh I have watched all of Doctor who, just not into the books/audio/comic, so was wondering if it came from something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Season 6B is an old, OLD fan theory thing from WAY back. It posits that, following The War Games, the Second Doctor was NOT immediately exiled to earth and forcibly regenerated into Pertwee, but instead spent some amount of time in servitude to the Time Lords, acting as their agent, possibly alongside Jamie and/or Zoe, whose memories were restored to facilitate this and wiped later.

This is "supported" by various appearances by Troughton in 3, 5, and 2 Doctors and remarks made therein, and by large amounts of Wilderness Years material produced by the fans running the asylum. Arguably, The Two Doctors was an active effort to "canonize" 6B way back when!

The notion that Ruth!Doctor might originate from this same period, between Two and Three, lined up with her narrative role and her position as working for the Time Lords, made people think that the "6B" concept might be being reimagined. I would have preferred that to what they've done here.