Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Captain Dan and the Scurvy Greys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

do you think aliens are all shitheads like us?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i am harry posted:

cattle mutilations are the equivalent of taking a baseball bat to a rural road's worth of mailboxes. don't give teen aliens laser scalpels, they can't be trusted with the responsibility of such a tool.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

i am harry posted:

I am inclined to think that while life probably exists elsewhere in the universe, sapience as we understand it is probably not a given, and certainly the conditions we grew up under and our historical record could be wildly different from any other intelligent life.

Therefor, I think aliens are probably all shitheads in wholly unique ways which we may struggle to even imagine

B-illions and B-illions of shitheads throughout the cosmos

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

PawParole posted:

the aliens use quantum energy teleportation to break vacuum passivity, and extract negative energy from the zero point field via injecting small amounts of energy into squeezed states within local-vacuum regions.

It’s pretty obvious actually.

Turns out the way UFO’s fly is by pozzing the neghole in a vacuum.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i am harry posted:

Sociopaths and narcissists take over every hierarchy in every human society, and that's why humans are doomed, because sociopaths and narcissists are only concerned with themselves and their families, who they view as possessions. They only serve themselves so they destroy the societies they lead eventually. Human societies that don't have hierarchy collapse or accomplish nothing.
Hierarchy as a social necessity started because of specialization of labor, which allowed for science eventually. Maybe that specialization of labor is what caused our cultural adherence to hierarchy. Perhaps, if the aliens practice participatory economics, or ParEcon,

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
this is probably the insomniac delirium talking, but by far one of my favorite dumb things to come up in a sci-fi game is the idea of 'exotic vacuum states' as a tradeable commodity. Like here, your engine can only efficiently extract energy from the quantum field if you have a renewable source of the exotic energy state required to refresh its generation chamber with, better stock up on some tubes of fancy-nothing at the space gas station while you can

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

this is probably the insomniac delirium talking, but by far one of my favorite dumb things to come up in a sci-fi game is the idea of 'exotic vacuum states' as a tradeable commodity. Like here, your engine can only efficiently extract energy from the quantum field if you have a renewable source of the exotic energy state required to refresh its generation chamber with, better stock up on some tubes of fancy-nothing at the space gas station while you can

the world economy will be based on the us vacudollar

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

i have also considered this option and whereas the aliens from space are cool and sexy, aliens from the ocean are deeply, existentially terrifying

i will be sticking with the chill space friends tyvm

if they're from earth's oceans they're not aliens even if thy're really weird

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

if they're ocean aliens they must be pretty loving peaceful to have not vaporized us for the poo poo we do to their home

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if they're ocean aliens they must be pretty loving peaceful to have not vaporized us for the poo poo we do to their home

what if theyre like dolphins or whales...mammals that were like "uhhh nah" to land after a while

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1398349140158038017?s=20

hrmmm

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm the secret government tech so advanced we can't even use it or even publically reveal it lest it fall into enemy hands for 30 years straight

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i have yet to read up on the uap stuff but seti is also a recently relatively more active science investigation topic, partially due to breakthrough listen: https://arxiv.org/abs/2101.11137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwue4L8m2Vs

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what if theyre like dolphins or whales...mammals that were like "uhhh nah" to land after a while

that’s the seven eves timeline

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

extremely normal stuff!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

cattle mutilations are the equivalent of taking a baseball bat to a rural road's worth of mailboxes. don't give teen aliens laser scalpels, they can't be trusted with the responsibility of such a tool.

I'm pretty well convinced cattle mutilations are just what cattle look like after they've been dead a few days

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

extremely normal stuff!

It's not unprecedented for the UK to do something stupid or carry water for the US but I'd sure feel stupid if my ally lied about weird poo poo for funding and didn't cut me in on the joke before making national policy changes

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's not unprecedented for the UK to do something stupid or carry water for the US but I'd sure feel stupid if my ally lied about weird poo poo for funding and didn't cut me in on the joke before making national policy changes

what national policy changes? they just said they might restaff the ufo desk which was last disbanded in 2009.

thAt guy who said it’s the same grifters who do this every 10 years to get more funding and target the most credulous senators to make it happen seems to be more and more true

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

what national policy changes? they just said they might restaff the ufo desk which was last disbanded in 2009.

Calling it just "a desk" seems a bit of mischaracterization. It was enough of a resource suck that that's the reason the MoD shut it down. Like it's not the end of the world but it'd still be a hilariously dickish move to not tell them the truth behind the scenes

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

it's time to reinstall deus ex

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

as boring as cynicism is, i cannot imagine a realistic scenario in which some part of the US government has secret proof of alien visitors and lets it be revealed to the public

people have mentioned it already but like, elected civilian officials only get to know what they need to know despite technically having security clearance for everything, if there's alien technology locked up being studied somewhere the obamas and schumers of the world don't know about it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wheeee posted:

as boring as cynicism is, i cannot imagine a realistic scenario in which some part of the US government has secret proof of alien visitors and lets it be revealed to the public

people have mentioned it already but like, elected civilian officials only get to know what they need to know despite technically having security clearance for everything, if there's alien technology locked up being studied somewhere the obamas and schumers of the world don't know about it

It's because the aliens are hot and if you do this you might gently caress an alien. Obama set this up because of his history of being an incel and Donald continued it because he wants to "kiss some pretty alien women"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Based on the relative power difference are you really loving the alien or is it loving you?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

Based on the relative power difference are you really loving the alien or is it loving you?

Prayers they hide the saddest view
(Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Crusader posted:

i have yet to read up on the uap stuff but seti is also a recently relatively more active science investigation topic, partially due to breakthrough listen: https://arxiv.org/abs/2101.11137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwue4L8m2Vs

Lol that this only has like 30 views, its good poo poo

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UAP/comments/nn6yso/us_navy_laser_creates_plasma_ufos_video_in/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf here’s a cool post

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think it's this, confused pilots and radar guys are cats chasing a laser pointer

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

the way it bounces around on camera looks exactly like a laser pointer

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I wish it were my job to get paid in excess of six figures by the military to posit that using gargantuan amounts of energy to project lil balls of plasma extremely briefly is a great way to replace flares on aircraft

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

so it's like when you shine a laser pointer at a cat

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

sorry guys. i got a really high powered laser from wish during the protests last year and have been shining it in the sky once in a while. im p sure im causing all these uaps. ill stop

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

plasma ball projection is what they testing every week at area 51 for over a decade, hell they probably still are just not up in the atmosphere anymore

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

it explains the lack of friction and sonic boomy ness

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i guess that has to be the explanation, it's the most disappointing one so it's perfect for this timeline

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

plasma ball projection is what they testing every week at area 51 for over a decade, hell they probably still are just not up in the atmosphere anymore

I was trying to find videos of this, are there any

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

yea check out r/ufos

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

I was trying to find videos of this, are there any

tikaboo peak is some dozens of miles from groom lake and the stuff in question was very high up. the viewing parties had some good binoculars/telescopes/nvg but youd be hard pressed to get good film or video of it. im pretty sure ive seen footage over the years but it was standard blurry orange pixel ball

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Projected plasma balls is such a slam dunk explanation, has all the observed properties and has obvious military use (spoofing radar signatures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

project ed plasma balls