Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Haifisch posted:

Michigan has a bunch of wineries, I'm not surprised Ohio does too.

e: Looking at wikipedia, most states produce at least some wine but Ohio manages to be the 6th biggest wine state. (although California dominates American wine production by a lot)

American wine production was a lot different before Prohibition. There were quite a few major wineries in the Hudson Valley, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Prohibition did an exceptional job at destroying artisan alcohol that beer and liquor are only just now successfully fostering it again.

The only good wine I've had has been industrial taking advantage of specific wine climates so artisan wine can kiss my rear end.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ohio tourism season? Who the gently caress goes on vacation to Ohio?

The Donut Trail is a thing people go to Ohio for.

https://www.gettothebc.com/donut-trail

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quantum tunnelling. You just wake up one day in the middle of Milwaukee. It wouldn't happen so often except for all the people leaving Ohio to become astronauts to get as far away from Ohio as possible, and ironically, nature abhors a vacuum

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Kentuckans who want to see one of them newfangled cities the picture box keeps talking about.

louisville is the 29th most populous city in the us

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s forty-sixth in metropolitan area population.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mandatory lesbian posted:

At least compare Cincinnati which is the most populous Kentucky city.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haifisch posted:

Michigan has a bunch of wineries, I'm not surprised Ohio does too.

e: Looking at wikipedia, most states produce at least some wine but Ohio manages to be the 6th biggest wine state. (although California dominates American wine production by a lot)

Honestly the best wine I've had was from the midwest, there are a lot of orchards that add in other fruits like apples/cherries/etc to make really nice fruit wines.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly the best wine I've had was from the midwest, there are a lot of orchards that add in other fruits like apples/cherries/etc to make really nice fruit wines.

https://youtu.be/hrJEoGIGAxs

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Rollercoaster enthusiasts.

Cedar Point 71 rides, 17 roller coasters - the second highest amount of any park in the world. Has the most hypercoasters of any park in the world, and has the coaster with the second largest drop (420 feet).
Kings's Island 100 rides, 14 roller coasters, including The Beast the longest and most renowned wooden coaster.

Indeed, one day I too will go to Ohio.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Amish country is nice if you're a very boring person.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's also #1 in horse art per capita.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Amish country is nice if you're a very boring person.

Amish Country is horrible and the tourists make it dangerous.

"Oh man this buggy going up the hill is making me go slow, better pass it not knowing if someone is about to come over the there side!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

It’s forty-sixth in metropolitan area population.

The Phoenix metropolitan area is 15,000 square miles.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Madsen Donuts is my favorite Ohio winery, though Geneva on the Lake Public Golf Course is a pretty good winery too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

HelleSpud posted:

Rollercoaster enthusiasts.

Cedar Point 71 rides, 17 roller coasters - the second highest amount of any park in the world. Has the most hypercoasters of any park in the world, and has the coaster with the second largest drop (420 feet).
Kings's Island 100 rides, 14 roller coasters, including The Beast the longest and most renowned wooden coaster.

Indeed, one day I too will go to Ohio.

I was going to say this. The whole living in Ohio thing is eh, but the fact that I can either drive 2 hours north or 2 hours south and ride some world class coasters is ace

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

The Phoenix metropolitan area is 15,000 square miles.

Look, MSAs are perfect, but Phoenix is a great example of why cities proper is even worse.

Is Phoenix the fifth most populous city in the United States, deservedly placing above Philadelphia and Dallas? Hardly.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

It's also #1 in horse art per capita.

I didn’t know Mike Pence moved there.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Siri show me something that says Europe.jpg

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1398260285979381762?s=20

quote:

Racism row erupts after Spanish 'equality' stamps give lower value to dark skin tones
The Equality Stamps range was launched to coincide with the anniversary of the murder of George Floyd by a US police officer
ByJames Badcock
MADRID
28 May 2021 • 12:42pm

The stamp scheme has been slammed
Spain’s postal service has been rebuked by anti-racism campaigners after it launched a limited-edition run of skin-toned stamps in which the dark skin tones have a lower monetary value than the light ones.

The Equality Stamps range was launched to coincide with the anniversary of the murder of George Floyd by a US police officer.

The Correos postal service said the concept of having to pay more for the white skin stamp and progressively less for darker ones was “a protest against a painful reality”.

“The darker the stamp, the less value it will have, therefore, when making a shipment it will be necessary to use more black stamps than white,” Correos announced, explaining that the idea is to make people “reflect on the inequality created by racism”.

“The message is an absolute disaster. It’s racist,” said Moha Gerehou, a journalist and anti-racism activist in Spain.

Correos said it had collaborated with the country’s leading anti-racism NGO, SOS Racismo, on the project, but the organisation denied having any involvement in the campaign.

SOS Racismo said in a statement that the “unfortunate” Correos campaign “underlines the need to create greater anti-racist consciousness in Spain”.

“Racism is not just about skin colour, but a systemic and historical problem constructed to give ascendancy to some sectors of society and downgrade others,” the statement continued, accusing Correos’ campaign of perpetuating the idea of a hierarchy of races according to skin colour and exhibiting “negrophobia”.

A spokesperson for Correos told The Telegraph that stocks of the stamps have been exhausted due to high demand, and that the “campaign is now over”.

A promotional video for the Spanish Tourism Ministry’s recent relaunch of the country as a tourism destination aimed especially at British and other European markets called “You deserve Spain” failed to include any Black or Asian individuals or families.

“Maybe they don’t deserve Spain,” one journalist wryly commented at the launch.

teen witch has a new favorite as of 05:56 on May 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What.

As a work of fiction, that would be too heavy‐handed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

teen witch posted:

quote:

A promotional video for the Spanish Tourism Ministry’s recent relaunch of the country as a tourism destination aimed especially at British and other European markets called “You deserve Spain”

To be fair, you can read this somewhat sarcastically, like "You deserve Spain, you dumb piece of poo poo"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cedar Point is real hosed. They're offering $20/hr but can't get enough workers to stay open. They plan to close 2 days a week in June.

https://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/1395812850812297219?s=21

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Besides the general anarchy in minimum wage, Cedar Point had traditional relied on overseas work-study visas which so that we can use them as a litmus test to if they are back to normal or not (good riddance). Turns out you still can't import indentured servants yet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Every major theme park does this and it’s disgusting as hell.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

zedprime posted:

Besides the general anarchy in minimum wage, Cedar Point had traditional relied on overseas work-study visas which so that we can use them as a litmus test to if they are back to normal or not (good riddance). Turns out you still can't import indentured servants yet.

My friend's condo pool is staying closed for the same reason. Apparently the company they contract to maintain the pool and provide lifeguards imports workers from overseas normally.

It's weird as hell. Like are there no local teens who would want to be lifeguards?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

7of7 posted:

It's weird as hell. Like are there no local teens who would want to be lifeguards?

What if Cornpop comes at them with a straight razor?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

7of7 posted:

My friend's condo pool is staying closed for the same reason. Apparently the company they contract to maintain the pool and provide lifeguards imports workers from overseas normally.

Local teens tend to have inconvenient things like "school" and "parents" and "labor laws" and "skin colors that will make people sympathetic to them"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

7of7 posted:

they have lifeguards? that's fancy

my apartment just has a sign that says swim at own risk

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1398697338068160515
https://twitter.com/StetsonUSA/status/1398772331619643392

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Captain Monkey posted:

Conkers Bad Fur Day is older than I thought.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers

It's a dumb British schoolyard game and the papers here like to throw 'conkers banned due to elf and safety gorn maaad' stories around so it's part of the meme here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How dare you, conkers is ace and a great example of ever changing and evolving rule sets and other localized fun. Nothing better than trying to work out which rumored prep method would turn your conker into a piece of brick on a string.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just about to say, conkers is a great game and like all great games, open to manipulation, dirty dealing, bad blood and constant drama.

Don't knock conkers.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Pookah posted:

I was just about to say, conkers is a great game and like all great games, open to manipulation, dirty dealing, bad blood and constant drama.

Don't knock conkers.

If you aren't knocking the conkers, what are you doing with them?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I've lived my entire life in the midwest so I'm aware of how many orchards/etc we have. Just added a wiki link for the people incredulous that we have anything but corn and cows here.

:cripes:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The A class stamp is even less than two thirds of the Class C.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Der Kyhe posted:

The A class stamp is even less than two thirds of the Class C.

I think this is supposed to be a three-fifths compromise joke, but you’re Finnish, so close enough.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Theswarms posted:

If you aren't knocking the conkers, what are you doing with them?

CONKER SMASH

(I was just wondering if anyone had faked a conker out of say, concrete and...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/forensic-tests-to-be-carried-out-on-conkers-421144

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This probably deserves a place here. Probably the most catastrophic customer promotion of all time

https://thehustle.co/the-worst-sales-promotion-in-history/

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I think this is supposed to be a three-fifths compromise joke, but you’re Finnish, so close enough.

I have dishonored our education system, so I have to commit to a ritual sudoku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

smellmycheese posted:

This probably deserves a place here. Probably the most catastrophic customer promotion of all time

https://thehustle.co/the-worst-sales-promotion-in-history/

Lol that's a stunningly bad set of decisions. Really good read.