Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

General Dog posted:

Watson is too much of a hot potato to get traded/signed by anyone else right now, I think, no matter how much of a bargain it is.

Nobody's going to trade even meager draft capital for him when a) you're going to face pretty strong PR backlash for bringing him to town and b) there's a pretty high likelihood Goodell eventually puts him on the exempt list before he ever sees the field.

Sounds like a perfect fit for Dan "I pimped the cheerleaders" Snyder. Hell they even need a QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

General Dog posted:

Watson is too much of a hot potato to get traded/signed by anyone else right now, I think, no matter how much of a bargain it is.

Nobody's going to trade even meager draft capital for him when a) you're going to face pretty strong PR backlash for bringing him to town and b) there's a pretty high likelihood Goodell eventually puts him on the exempt list before he ever sees the field.

I've been thinking this too, but if suddenly all these cases settle and/or get dropped will the NFL actually do anything?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I've been thinking this too, but if suddenly all these cases settle and/or get dropped will the NFL actually do anything?

Maybe not, but if the teams all decided a quarterback just wasn't worth doing business with for fear of the public response, that wouldn't be unprecedented.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

General Dog posted:

Maybe not, but if the teams all decided a quarterback just wasn't worth doing business with for fear of the public response, that wouldn't be unprecedented.

Watson is significantly better than Kaep was.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Watson is also accused of something that bothers less people than what Kaep was on tape doing multiple times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure that’s the comparison as the public was not the people who disliked Kaep

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure that’s the comparison as the public was not the people who disliked Kaep

A portion of the public certainly did. The ones that the owners happen to share sentiments with anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Sounds like a perfect fit for Dan "I pimped the cheerleaders" Snyder. Hell they even need a QB.

Watson isn't gonna go play for Rivera lol

he saw what Cam looked like last year

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

indigi posted:

Watson isn't gonna play

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh to be young and naive

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Imagine Watson playing this year while Flash remains banned because reasons.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

indigi posted:

oh to be young and naive

I actually have a mild amount of faith that he won't play

No other team wants to take the PR bullet and he refuses to play for the Texans. That particular problem takes care of itself

I just hope he doesn't manage to escape legal culpability if he's guilty which it seems like he almost certainly is

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If the XFL ever comes back, that's where he's headed

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
She Bate Me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the safest guess is that he does not play in 2021, but that we have not seen the last of him in the NFL

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Laterite posted:

She Bate Me
:eyepop:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nick Jr. Face posted:

If the XFL ever comes back, that's where he's headed

He's gonna join Trent Richardson with the Caudillos de Chihuahua of the Fútbol Americano de México. :mexico:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m sure the Fan Football League would take him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah lmao, some one is going to trade for Watson like the moment he gets all of his cases settled.

Watson is like top 5 QB in the league talent lol. Public backlash doesn't mean poo poo to them.

Sports watching public loves a comeback narrative. It'd get annoying for the socials management team. But other than that, if Watson is good for the team that trades pennies on the dollar for him, the larger fanbase of that team likely wouldn't give a fuuuuck.

The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because the cases aren't settled, and there is an off chance that something reaaaaaal bad comes out(a video) that would actually end his career.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

There are ongoing criminal investigations as well. I'm not sure how you can make any sort of move to trade for him until there is a resolution with the criminal investigations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ehud posted:

There are ongoing criminal investigations as well. I'm not sure how you can make any sort of move to trade for him until there is a resolution with the criminal investigations.

If none of the victims want to work with investigators because he's settled with them, then they won't continue to pursue those.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dexo posted:

If none of the victims want to work with investigators because he's settled with them, then they won't continue to pursue those.

I guess I'm making an assumption that a victim filing a police report means they want to pursue this as a criminal matter. What would be the point of going down that route if they want to treat it as a civil matter and eventually settle?

Is it just a way to put more pressure on Deshaun's legal team? Like hey if you don't settle then we'll move forward with investigators and pursue this as a criminal matter?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

If we're taking Buzbee at face value the victims aren't settling and want to wreck him. Unless he's facing real prison time he's going to play again and likely will even after if he gets out under 40.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Unless he's facing real prison time he's going to play again and likely will even after if he gets out under 40.
Yup. There's a meaningful chunk of the population that doesn't believe victims, and there's no doubt he's talented. It might take a while, and it might not be for much money, but Watson will play again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If he wasn't already sitting out I would bet any amount of money of him playing week one. The fact that he hypothetically requires a team to expend draft capital for him to play makes me think it's somewhat possible he still holding out week 2 or 3.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

indigi posted:

Watson isn't gonna go play for Rivera lol

he saw what Cam looked like last year

tbh cam has more to do with cam being busted up than rivera

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
the weird flying-under-the-radar element of this case (relatively, given the NFL) can't continue forever. At some point, if the Texans won't suspend him, Goodell will have his hand forced by public opinion.

He will not play next year

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Laterite posted:

She Bate Me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ehud posted:

I guess I'm making an assumption that a victim filing a police report means they want to pursue this as a criminal matter. What would be the point of going down that route if they want to treat it as a civil matter and eventually settle?

Is it just a way to put more pressure on Deshaun's legal team? Like hey if you don't settle then we'll move forward with investigators and pursue this as a criminal matter?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was to combat the “they just want money or else they’d have gone to the police” narrative that was building the first few weeks, and it gets dropped upon settlement

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laterite posted:

She Bate Me

:hmmyes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ehud posted:

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If we're taking Buzbee at face value the victims aren't settling and want to wreck him. Unless he's facing real prison time he's going to play again and likely will even after if he gets out under 40.

Yes to Ehud, and also everyone has a number. Lawyers lie to try and create leverage for their clients.

Also they'd almost assuredly lose the criminal case, unless there is like video evidence or something. Might be able to eek out a win in the Civil case, but in that case you are still just getting money. And have to go through all sorts of bullshit and having your name run through the mud.

It's why these generally always end in settlement, unless the person like genuinely does not need or give a poo poo about money. If they are willing to go down in legal fees and getting their name run through the dirt.

It's bullshit but it's just kinda how these things go.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Right now what's going on is in the best interest of the league.

Watson continuing his holdout means that the league isn't really forced to step in and do something about him.

Most likely this whole thing gets settled and swept under the rug, but it's too late for Watson to go anywhere. After it's settled the NFL says it never found any evidence and doesn't suspend him.

When trading opens up next pre-season, by then someone trades for him and the vast majority of NFL fans are more then willing to act that since they victims took the money, Watson did nothing wrong and were just out for the money.

The worst thing that could happen is if he reports to the Texans and proceeds to force the NFL and the Texans hand. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's some back door communication between him and the league for him to not report so the league doesn't have to take action.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/aaronjreiss/status/1400532862365888513

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that seems pretty significant

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It doesn't necessarily mean anything from the league side or legal side, Watson has continued to insist he'll never suit up for the team so they have to move forward with that mindset

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No one has gotten so many and so few opportunities to start as Tyrod Taylor.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

fsif posted:

No one has gotten so many and so few opportunities to start as Tyrod Taylor.

Remember the Tuh-rod vs. Tie-Rod controversy?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

What controversy? Anyone that says Tuh-rod is a moron, plain and simple.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

What controversy? Anyone that says Tuh-rod is a moron, plain and simple.

Tyrod says Tuh-rod lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Tyrod says Tuh-rod lol

Well he'd probably get more starting time if he stopped.