Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

MrLogan posted:

Dog goes in the frunk.

In all seriousness, crash-rated crate strapped to the truck bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Phuzun posted:

Chrysler Pacifica can fit sheets and close the hatch with the seats flat. Also comes in plug in hybrid for the daily usage. Pretty sure it has some tow capacity as well.

I just bought a Pacifica hybrid. I had a gas SUV with a hitch before, and towed my 10 ft trailer as my pickup.

Hybrids have 0 tow rating, so you can't get them with a factory tow package. I spent $1k and a weekend installing the factory tow hitch from the gas pacifica, but now i need to get an aftermarket wiring kit because the factory trailer harness comes from the ECU, and I doubt they will code my ECU to have a tow package the car can't have.

There isn't anything out there currently for family/pickup duty that is electric, except maybe the Model X. The Lightning looks great, and I wanted a Rivian SUV, but the Nissan SUV was going to need a fourth transmission soon and just came out of warranty.

Manufacturers are encouraging everyone to get a pickup instead of a minivan which is very annoying - the pacifica is great except for the lack of towing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I wish like 10x as many people would buy the Chrystler Pacifica hybrid van cause the batteries in it are among the best for DIY EV repurposing, but they are pretty rare now

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I drove a Pacifica when my wife had some body work being done and I did like it but 32 miles isn't enough for me, if one came with a 50 mi range or full EV I would absolutely consider one.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bawfuls posted:

I wish like 10x as many people would buy the Chrystler Pacifica hybrid van cause the batteries in it are among the best for DIY EV repurposing, but they are pretty rare now

Same but Zero motorcycles instead. 14.4 kWh isn't a lot but it would take care of 90% of most people's daily activities in a small car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm suddenly giving some serious thought to building my own pedestrian warning system for my older Model 3.

I bet I could come up with something using an accelerometer, a GPS reciever, a class D amplifier, and a speaker. I'd use the Arduino FM synthesizer code I've already made for my bagpipes, and you could probably fit the whole thing into about the size of a cat food can and get it loud enough for this application. 12V DC would be easy to find in the frunk.

Hmmmmmm

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Honda Odyssey PHEV when

(if you're ok with only 5 seats, the RAV4 Prime has a 42mi electric range and is tow rated for 2500lbs. but if you get the high end model you have to work around the kick sensor to install the tow hitch & toyota dealers may/may not want to do this for you)

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

blindjoe posted:

There isn't anything out there currently for family/pickup duty that is electric, except maybe the Model X. The Lightning looks great, and I wanted a Rivian SUV, but the Nissan SUV was going to need a fourth transmission soon and just came out of warranty.

Manufacturers are encouraging everyone to get a pickup instead of a minivan which is very annoying - the pacifica is great except for the lack of towing.

This really can't be emphasized enough for people that are not in the US - Right now my entire cargo space is taken up by a freaking stroller with the family occupying the seats. The EV offerings that isn't an F150 Lightning or Model X aren't much better than that - they're usually just tall hatchbacks that are marketed as CUVs at best.

I bought the Focus as a cheap transitional vehicle while I was waiting for the EV offerings to pick up speed and it's been a frustrating wait.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

marshmonkey posted:

Marques Brownlee thinks that Ford might be lowballing the range numbers after taking a look at one:

https://youtu.be/J2npVg9ONFo

Yeah apparently the EPA ratings they're advertising are with 1000lbs in the bed, so he thinks an empty long range F-150 could get in the 400-450 range.

That's pretty great.

I can't believe I'm actively considering buying an F-150.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A friend posted this, I’m not up on the cybertruck specs, what is being hidden or changed as this seems too fanboyish to me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
to me the biggest difference is that one is real and one is not.

there's very limited sighting of Cybertruck being tested in the wild, versus Ford clearly has a bunch of prepro Lightnings assembled.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's very limited sighting of Cybertruck being tested in the wild, versus Ford clearly has a bunch of prepro Lightnings assembled.

Yeah that was my main critique is that all the cybertruck specs are very possible to change drastically. Or that only 5 a year are made. Or that the glue holding it together dissolves if you get it wet, etc.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Precisely. The F150 is throwing down real world miles while the cybertruck is throwing down spreadsheet hype. 100% don't bet on those specs ever coming to fruition.

Almost like Freightliner versus Nikola.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

priznat posted:

Yeah that was my main critique is that all the cybertruck specs are very possible to change drastically. Or that only 5 a year are made. Or that the glue holding it together dissolves if you get it wet, etc.

Bolded the funny (and probably accurate!) part :sun:

Ford is late to the party, but man, if that F-150 is actually as good as it looks on paper, then it won't matter all that much heh. They'll probably sell a ton of these :eng101:

Now about that charging network...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cybertruck is a good marketing exercise, it got them some extra cash and as far as I'm aware they're not in production yet? Vaporware until I see otherwise. They'll probably be able to get 500 miles by the time they get round to making them...

*speaking of trucks, where's the semi?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 28, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Also, the Cyber truck doesn't have 58,000 aftermarket accessories that already fit it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like the ?? for Cybrtrk on "Power your home" has Tesla ever even mentioned this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cybertruck is a good marketing exercise, it got them some extra cash and as far as I'm aware they're not in production yet? Vaporware until I see otherwise. They'll probably be able to get 500 miles by the time they get round to making them...

I think the plant for it (Texas) is still under construction?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I like the ?? for Cybrtrk on "Power your home" has Tesla ever even mentioned this?

Tesla has said they're not interested in this.

Kinda chaps my hide, if I'm being honest, that my daughter's Leaf can do this but the Tesla can't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Kinda chaps my hide, if I'm being honest, that my daughter's Leaf can do this but the Tesla can't.

I imagine they want to focus on power wall or whatever it’s called

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have no doubt the Cyber truck is going to kick all kinds of rear end when it comes out, but the F150 is about as non-niche as you can get, which is why EV nerds are all flipping out right now.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

priznat posted:

A friend posted this, I’m not up on the cybertruck specs, what is being hidden or changed as this seems too fanboyish to me

This person has no idea what the term ‘clearance’ means, only that Tesla is throwing out a huge number.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

If those numbers are true wrt the range of the eF150 its absolutely going to own bones. If the eExplorer can get the same with less batteries (and less weight) its absolutely going to dominate the EV scene. Hopefully Ford rides VW and Electrify Americas rear end about taking the quality of the charging experience up to Supercharger standards.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Outside of the charging network the Mach E is extremely competitive with the Model Y. I don’t think the mythical Tesla technology advantage exists and there’s no evidence to suggest that they have the ability to build a truck that is substantially better than the Lightning in the next year or two.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

I'm pretty sure the base model can power the home too, but it doesn't include the stuff you need to do it. The charger / inverter is less powerful too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Outside of the charging network the Mach E is extremely competitive with the Model Y. I don’t think the mythical Tesla technology advantage exists and there’s no evidence to suggest that they have the ability to build a truck that is substantially better than the Lightning in the next year or two.

in fact there's quite a bit to suggest that they'll build a truck that will be substantially less well assembled :haw:

watch this post come back to bite me in the rear end when Lightning has all the same product launch problems that every recent Ford launch has had

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Really liking this Seat or Cupra or Seat Cupra. Cupra Born, apparently.

Play around with colors here: https://www.cupraofficial.com/cars/cupra-range/born.html

Charles posted:

I wonder if it's more aerodynamic than the ID4. It's more swooshy.

This one is based on the smaller id3, not the id4.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I was very impressed by the Mach-E, and that’s coming from someone who swore I’d never buy a Ford again after my 2008 Escape gave me years of woe.

The reasons I didn’t order it were that the charging network is bad around here (there are places I sometimes visit that are simply not reachable in a non-Tesla electric car unless you stop at a parking lot and L2 charge for 3-4 hours), the wait to get one is much longer than the Model Y, and it was drat near impossible to convince a dealership to waste their time on letting me drive their niche electric SUV when they could just give me the hard sell on a last-model-year pickup truck instead.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:hmmyes:

I had a friend try to explain to me that since Ford has only shown prototypes which means the Lightning is in exactly the same place as the Cybertruck…

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

IF the cybertruck specs are achievable, they'll have to come from the delayed 4680 batteries.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cruft posted:

Funny thing - it means gently caress-all what *they're* interested in. It's what the *customers* are interested in that sells.

Also:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

AhhYes posted:

Yeah apparently the EPA ratings they're advertising are with 1000lbs in the bed, so he thinks an empty long range F-150 could get in the 400-450 range

This is an excellent way to rate a vehicle meant for haulin stuff and way exceed expectations when it's not full most of the time

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I have not a lot of doubt the Cybertruk will come out in some form once the Texas plant opens but I still got this huge question of .... what exact crash safety standards are they working with for that thing? I dont see how it'll pass any frontal or offset. So much of that just doesnt seem to obey any design rules so what gives?

The answer would be.... there are no design rules for a truck so gently caress it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Have we discussed the body swap options of the Lightning yet? Since it's body on frame, any vehicle that has a similar enough wheelbase can use the lightning frame. So what Pre 1950's vehicles have a wheelbase around 145"? Any 40's Buicks?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

Ford is late to the party

It's not even that they're late, it's just that if you're already making tons of saleable vehicles you're better off making sure that your first entries into EVs are incredible . Tesla is the only mainstream company that's happy to excuse their garbage by spitting in everyone's face being a silicon valley disruptor.

They'll eventually learn that there's a reason that automotive seems to move at what looks like a glacial pace and it's not because OEMs don't know that they're doing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

McTinkerson posted:

Have we discussed the body swap options of the Lightning yet? Since it's body on frame, any vehicle that has a similar enough wheelbase can use the lightning frame. So what Pre 1950's vehicles have a wheelbase around 145"? Any 40's Buicks?

A few iterations of the Rolls Royce Phantom come in around there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

all the giant postwar land yachts top out around 135, but you could probably massage the wheelbase out like the Ring Brothers AMX.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm really wondering if the range test included a bed cover. The 1000lbs of load is really good. But aero will also be a big range boost.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You get a cybertruck so your keyboard matches. Duh.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Speleothing posted:

I'm really wondering if the range test included a bed cover. The 1000lbs of load is really good. But aero will also be a big range boost.
I was under impression that bed covers do absolutely nothing for aerodynamics and mileage. Do you know different?

Edit: https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 29, 2021