Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

munce posted:

There's ex cia directors literally saying it could be aliens. Words like extra terrestrial, non-human technology etc are appearing all over the news reports so it's definitely being pushed as an angle.

Anyway it's amusing that they'd have to go to these lengths to reverse a stigma that only exists because they created it in the first place.

No empire plans for the day it’s going to collapse. In the 50s, the only weird craft that could possibly be seen anywhere in the US were experimental US craft. They’re probably a good ten years behind on detecting foreign or non-state drones because realizing you can’t dominate your own airspace is probably really humbling if your whole thing is force projection and dominance.

It’s doubly ironic because the pentagon simultaneously encouraged people to believe in ufos while bullying anyone who saw anything that could then be seen to be a ufo as disinfo to protect their secret projects. Just one more iteration in the proud US tradition of creating its own worst enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpeSpA3e56A

This is a nice little video about the navy videos with some animations in it

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

i am harry posted:

have been sending this vid to my friends. something about the animations scares me more than when i just think about what happened abstractly.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hatebag posted:

Sociopaths and narcissists take over every hierarchy in every human society, and that's why humans are doomed, because sociopaths and narcissists are only concerned with themselves and their families, who they view as possessions. They only serve themselves so they destroy the societies they lead eventually. Human societies that don't have hierarchy collapse or accomplish nothing.
Hierarchy as a social necessity started because of specialization of labor, which allowed for science eventually. Maybe that specialization of labor is what caused our cultural adherence to hierarchy. Perhaps, if the aliens practice participatory economics, or ParEcon,

TRUPm

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

tic tac Toop

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ross DaouThot posted:

100 years beyond our tech capabilities is better than 1000! by next week we might have an explanation that involves 2040ish tech

and I still won't have 5G :(

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Crow Zone posted:

Anyone who tries to explain to me why this isn’t aliens is ruining my day please stop

aliens are definitely real

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Carl Von Awesomwitz posted:

man there have been a few too many reports of clearly physical craft straight up burning people and giving them radiation poisoning for me to buy the idea that its all a fancy gigawatt light show

cool UFO cases cited in this post:
Cash–Landrum
Falcon Lake

All that tells me it's spaceships. All the descriptions, of the insane speeds and impossible maneuvers that would just destroy even theoretical craft, to say nothing of anyone on board, tells me it's an image reflected or projected in some way. Maybe a satellite with the ability to do it, or a nearby stealth aircraft or ship (although what's "nearby" when the radar images are pinging from state to state).

e unfortunate coincidence that I always misread it as "crash-landium"? It's not up to me to decide

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

i am harry posted:

Yeah pro click, i can't say it looks a lot like the tech demo I posted back there

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usFeWJ94Ak&t=179s

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i am harry posted:

drat I didn't make the connection that the December 2017 NYT video was from ATS in 2007. I bet I saw it roughly when it was originally posted there, because I'd periodically check that for fun. crazy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nichael posted:

drat I didn't make the connection that the December 2017 NYT video was from ATS in 2007. I bet I saw it roughly when it was originally posted there, because I'd periodically check that for fun. crazy.

I posted about this earlier in this thread but ATS has turned into full right-wing q bullshit and its sad, as someone who used to post there in the 2000s and argue with John Lear about how no, there aren't actually alien or human bases on Venus and Neptune

he's probably right tho hahaha

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my newest hypothesis is that this recent UFO kick is to encourage scrappy startups to team up with SpaceX to design and deploy the first lunar dogecoin mining rig

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

I posted about this earlier in this thread but ATS has turned into full right-wing q bullshit and its sad, as someone who used to post there in the 2000s and argue with John Lear about how no, there aren't actually alien or human bases on Venus and Neptune

he's probably right tho hahaha

qanon is so much more boring than aliens

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The part of that animation where the tic tac looking object moves around above turbulent water made me think of this

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsroom/articles/year-2018/magnetic-surgery.html

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
gently caress you all for talking about plasma balls, the only balls I acknowledge are the balls rolling off cliffs

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Paradoxish posted:

We've got plenty of history to understand how secret projects work in the US, though

Anything is possible, but secret tech developed by the US government/a contractor inexplicably tested in front of the uninformed air force and navy and then released to the public is somewhere below "actually it's just aliens" on the likelihood scale

I still think the most likely explanation is just de-stigmatizing reporting weird poo poo, followed maybe by some kind of disinfo campaign that's actually intended for foreign consumption.

i mean isn't the occam's razor here just... that it's done being tested and moving towards deployment? the f-117 was a secret, and then it got a national television debut

like that is what is going on here, no? lockheed has been working on some secret something with all the money we're told is to fix this fighter that turned out lovely for some reason. it's now mature technology after a secret flight test program, now they're doing more wide-ranging tests against other equipment in the us inventory, and some suit had the bright idea that spinning up lots of hype about aliens is cheaper recruitment buzz than making a new transformers film

biden will do a press conference in front of one and make a lovely joke about how old cars are still cooler or whatever

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

err posted:

gently caress you all for talking about plasma balls, the only balls I acknowledge are the balls rolling off cliffs

you have to acknowledge pig balls as well, c’mon

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

err posted:

Crow Zone posted:

Anyone who tries to explain to me why this isn’t aliens is ruining my day please stop

:kstare:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

i mean isn't the occam's razor here just... that it's done being tested and moving towards deployment? the f-117 was a secret, and then it got a national television debut

like that is what is going on here, no? lockheed has been working on some secret something with all the money we're told is to fix this fighter that turned out lovely for some reason. it's now mature technology after a secret flight test program, now they're doing more wide-ranging tests against other equipment in the us inventory, and some suit had the bright idea that spinning up lots of hype about aliens is cheaper recruitment buzz than making a new transformers film

biden will do a press conference in front of one and make a lovely joke about how old cars are still cooler or whatever

Nah, not for literally decades while concurrently developing the operating current and next gen conventional aircraft among 50 other reasons

munce
Oct 23, 2010

I'm going to be dissapointed if i never get to kill a sectoid with a cricket bat

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Nichael posted:

qanon is so much more boring than aliens

well tbf since qanon is based on a fundamental truth (politicians form an international cabal of pedophiles) there isnt as much room for fun like aliens

munce
Oct 23, 2010

*** Upcoming events alert ***

Australian investigative journalist Ross Coulthart has a tv piece on sunday 30/5/2021 (Aus time) - based on his upcoming book about the whole ufo topic which should be good. This guy a is legit hardcore journalist.
Not sure about streaming or whatever but i'm sure it'll be up on youtube pretty quick.
https://twitter.com/7NewsSpotlight/status/1398209178292817922

Also
Paul Stonehill has an AMA on reddit on June 5th.
This guy is much more fringe and less well known. He has a thick ukranian accent. He focuses mostly on Soviet/Russian historical UFO/USO cases, which no one else seems to cover. And he doesn't really ever provide sources for anything he claims, but there's a lot of good stories in there. Just don't go in expecting proof of anything.
A few topics from his youtube include:

STRANGE REVELATIONS OF EASTERN BLOCK COSMONAUTS
PLASMOID ANOMALIES: RUSSIAN CASES AND REPORTS
NEW RUSSIAN UNDERWATER WEAPONS
UFOS, NAVY, AND NUKES IN THE RUSSIAN ARCTIC
MILITARY BASE “ICE FIST” (SECRETS OF ANTARCTICA)
HIGH STRANGENESS: SECRETS OF RUSSIAN COSMONAUTS
MONGOLIAN CRYPTIDS AND UFOS

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTzjRCRST1H65rC-dzCh18g/videos
Reddit AMA
https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/comments/nlwxv4/upcoming_ama_paul_stonehill/
I have no idea how reddit works so don't ask me i just copied the link

munce has issued a correction as of 14:50 on May 29, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

plasma is stored in the balls

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my newest hypothesis is that various governments are aware that we live inside of a simulation and it's glitching out harder and harder because the aliexpress mini pc running it is just brimming with dust so they're going to announce that + legalize a ton of recreational drugs before our universe-computer bursts into flames

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

plasma is stored in the balls

Plas ma balls

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

blatman posted:

my newest hypothesis is that various governments are aware that we live inside of a simulation and it's glitching out harder and harder because the aliexpress mini pc running it is just brimming with dust so they're going to announce that + legalize a ton of recreational drugs before our universe-computer bursts into flames

reality can't be simulated. EVENTUALLY you'd have to run into some weird computational hacks, probably at really small scales, where things stopped being deterministic and instead were just statistically determined only when observed and had weird but absolute rules

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
what are the singuarities of black holes but bugs in the simulation

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Log082 posted:

reality can't be simulated. EVENTUALLY you'd have to run into some weird computational hacks, probably at really small scales, where things stopped being deterministic and instead were just statistically determined only when observed and had weird but absolute rules

welcome to shamanism

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Log082 posted:

Isn't that quantum physics

e a piece about how I'm not insane, you're insane, or maybe all of us

https://twitter.com/willdizard/status/1398685810023702534?s=19

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 18:18 on May 29, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Isn't that quantum physics

Don't be silly. next you're going to tell me that certain physical values have a hard cap. like you'd see THAT outside of a computer simulation

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Imagine getting zapperoo'd in the old ballsack by one of these ufo plasma ball things. Mama mia

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Log082 posted:

Don't be silly. next you're going to tell me that certain physical values have a hard cap. like you'd see THAT outside of a computer simulation

That did always seem weird to me tbh

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taco Duck posted:

Imagine getting zapperoo'd in the old ballsack by one of these ufo plasma ball things. Mama mia

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Plasma is projected in the balls

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

That did always seem weird to me tbh

can't go faster than light. the sim crashes and an annoyed grad student has to reset it if you do just can't be done

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Log082 posted:

can't go faster than light. the sim crashes and an annoyed grad student has to reset it if you do just can't be done

It's lame to just have an impossible limit, matter should just annihilate or turn into photons, that would be more believable imo

E there's probably some pretty reason for it but we have to be able to go to other planets eventually how boring would it be to just look at the rest of the universe forever

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 19:49 on May 29, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

It's lame to just have an impossible limit, matter should just annihilate or turn into photons, that would be more believable imo

agreed. When I write my own world simulation I'll be sure to write that into the code.

I'm also gonna add a bunch of easter egg events that appear just to gently caress with isolated simpeople with no recording devices and

holy poo poo i think I just solved UFOs and bigfoot at the same time

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If we're talking about fringe science, there is this Chinese lady who claimed to have invented gravity propulsion in the 80s, patented it, founded a company, and then left her university and vanished off the face of the Earth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ning_Li_(physicist)

Probably, she was just a fraud or deluded and did what frauds and deluded people do, which is just slink away and live in anonymity doing something else and it's just that nobody ever looks for them. Maybe she died. Or maybe things began to get very strange after that. Her job was at the University of Alabama, so I can see why someone would want to just walk away from that if they were not competitive for other physics jobs somewhere better.

I don't know poo poo about physics, so I don't know how good any of her stuff was, but there is this recent youtube video if anyone thinks it would be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_rEzKdzBA

I've looked into her before, because of all the bullshit antigravity claims that have come and gone, this one seemed to be based on an actual calculation and I thought "hey, I could probably check that work." This is all from memory now, because while I did find her papers at one, I haven't had much luck lately. Her first paper laid out the theory, the second paper reported a null result, and there was some talk that the expected effect was orders of magnitude too small to ever be detected in a lab, let alone useful. That's what I wanted to investigate.

Her work starts from a speculative extension of general relativity. The details might be hard to grasp if you're not familiar with GR, but the basic idea (Einstein-Cartan theory) is to essentially allow general relativistic effects to not only stretch and compress spacetime but also to twist it. Technically: GR starts with an assumption of a torsion-free connection. You relax that assumption to get Einstein-Cartain theory. The torsion component of the connection would have to couple to matter's intrinsic angular momentum, analogous to how the metric couples to matter's stress-energy tensor. That means quantum mechanical spin enters the equations.

Einstein-Cartan theory is generally ignored because it adds enormous complication to an already difficult theoretical framework, for predicted effects that are wildly smaller than anything we'd ever hope to detect. On the other hand, why shouldn't the connection have torsion? Unlike a lot of speculative extensions of the standard model or MOND or what have you, Einstein-Cartan feels like a very natural extension of what we already know, just with physics and predictions that are largely irrelevant and safely ignored.

So Ning Li's idea, if I have it right, was to create a large coherent spin state in condensed matter and use that to couple to the gravitational field. I believe the idea was to use rotating superconductors (this is where my understanding / expertise gets hazy). The initial ideas might have been motivated by Podkletnov's crackpot garbage science, which does not bode well. The null result was published and Ning Li disappeared.

So here's the challenge: reproduce the basic order-of-magnitude calculation for a spin state coupled to gravity, and estimate how many particles you'd need to get a measurable effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

So here's the challenge: reproduce the basic order-of-magnitude calculation for a spin state coupled to gravity, and estimate how many particles you'd need to get a measurable effect.

This is why I love this thread, we can go from shitposting to someone who actually knows enough relativity to dig into the math on some lady's possibly insane, possibly feasible antigrav idea.

If you actually find the papers or whatever I'd love a link. Probably won't actually understand the math, though; I top out at stress tensors. That said, check out the stress--charge coupling tensor for a piezoelectric material. It's hilariously big. 4th order, if I remember right, but it's been a while since I tackled one of those.