Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

rannum posted:

Wonder when we'll touch base with Leana.

This is the big question I have right now. One bad night leaving you the only surviving member of your team, with the others either dead or magic-less. Cube clearly stating here that writers that use subtext are cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Did Kokoro have blue eyes before? Or is this why she has her mother's hair and blue eyes?

ETA: Nope, I was confused. She always had them.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 22, 2021

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This seems like a pretty clear parallel to what happened with Tessa. Someone pushing her power so hard it burns itself out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I wonder how many MG end up "retiring" like that. And if the general public is aware that it's a thing that can happen.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This seems like a pretty clear parallel to what happened with Tessa. Someone pushing her power so hard it burns itself out.

Except Tessa poured her power into Undine - which is where Undine's new eye color thing comes from, and where her power boost seems to have come from.

So it's not quite the same.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Joe Slowboat posted:

Except Tessa poured her power into Undine - which is where Undine's new eye color thing comes from, and where her power boost seems to have come from.

So it's not quite the same.

Sure, the application of the power was different, so the external result of the application was different. But they both poured all their power into doing something extreme, which seems like the relevant detail.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Mary Cagle says the next update will be delayed a bit to help her sister move to Washington. Texas to Washington is quite the drive.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Sure, the application of the power was different, so the external result of the application was different. But they both poured all their power into doing something extreme, which seems like the relevant detail.

I think Tessa is a special case, is the thing, because her power survives in Undine in the same way Kokoro got power from her mom.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think Tessa is a special case, is the thing, because her power survives in Undine in the same way Kokoro got power from her mom.

It's still close enough to be a fairly strong narrative parallel.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's still close enough to be a fairly strong narrative parallel.

I suppose, I just think that 'girls burning out' is constant enough in the story to be not a singular parallel but a running theme and operation of the setting; this is how characters end their career without dying. It would feel more like a narrative parallel if it were more unusual-feeling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
From what we know, Tessa did something completely unprecedented that she shouldn't even have been able to do. She didn't know how she was doing it, she just did it because the alternative was letting her best friend die. It was noted in the story how Tessa was uniquely extremely powerful and it was pretty clear that she was kinda just better than all of the rest of Team Alchemical put together. It's very likely that she's the only one who could've done what she did and the fact that it soaked up all of her power (when we've seen examples of how overwhelmingly strong she was) to bring Undine back proves it's something that probably no other Magical Girl can do.

What happened to Ming seems relatively more common. She pushed herself too far when she had nothing left and burnt all of her power up.

Mechanically, they're different, because of how unique Tessa and her level of power are within the setting. Thematically and narratively, yes, Mary is definitely trying to draw a parallel between Ming and Tessa sacrificing their power to save the life of the person they care about the most.

It's pretty overt, Ming sees herself in Undine's situation.

Also, y'know, like somebody said, it's an overarcing theme throughout the story that the magical girls regularly burn themselves out because as far as their profession is concerned, they're disposable soldiers, not people.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 23, 2021

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial

So I've been watching the podcast episodes that Mary Cagle has been putting up on youtube where she and her friend discuss anime and RWBY. Mostly it's post-Meguca "dark" magical girl shows (plus the one made by Subaru the car company where the girls fly around on magical driveshafts), but the RWBY stuff has been holding my interest, as someone who has never watched it, because I am having trouble believing it's a real show based on my impressions of their discussions. Any way, one of the videos I just, just got finished watching was about a character in RWBY and how their powers are inconsistently shown and how it makes the show hard to watch because they don't understand why this character isn't using their powers in all these situations where it would make sense to achieve their goals and Mary goes on this big discussion about how if people don't understand something that happens in one of her comics, she feels like she needs to somehow explain it better, that she did a bad job. And how she might insert something later to better explain what the confusion was about. And then I refresh SD and here's this bonus page that helps explain something that some posters in here seemed like they needed a little clarification. It's just a fun bonus page with a couple of cute jokes and laying out what happened in really clear terms for anyone who might be a bit confused.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think a possible way it could have been made clearer, but also a cool moment, is if the transformation was kind of falling apart as she went, but she held it together and kept going anyways.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

girl dick energy posted:

I think a possible way it could have been made clearer, but also a cool moment, is if the transformation was kind of falling apart as she went, but she held it together and kept going anyways.

It's a cool moment and the bonus page is clearly also about the artist burning out and having to take a hiatus recently.

And she should take hiatuses as she needs them! It's a very good comic (and I love her podcast), and she deserves to not run herself ragged and, I guess, magically de-power permanently?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

girl dick energy posted:

tbf we did get a minor version of that. Her hair was already transitioning back to black before her powers burned away completely.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

tbf we did get a minor version of that. Her hair was already transitioning back to black before her powers burned away completely.

The way I read the increase of blood spatter as she ran was the magic was sort of "keeping it together", even untrasnformed, but as it ran out the wound opened back up and in full, too

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial

So I've been watching the podcast episodes that Mary Cagle has been putting up on youtube where she and her friend discuss anime and RWBY. Mostly it's post-Meguca "dark" magical girl shows (plus the one made by Subaru the car company where the girls fly around on magical driveshafts), but the RWBY stuff has been holding my interest, as someone who has never watched it, because I am having trouble believing it's a real show

RWBY isn't a real show, haven't you been listening, Mary makes it very clear near the start of the episodes near the end of the season :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TwoPair posted:

RWBY isn't a real show, haven't you been listening, Mary makes it very clear near the start of the episodes near the end of the season :v:

their rwby vol 8 series makes a very strong case for this being a fake show, being ppropped up by false flag actors

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Haha, yessssss. I finally finished all the season 8 stuff and it's just-- baffling how the show only seems to work if you take each scene as being wholly disconnected from any other scene, not just in the show or season, but even within the episode itself. I forget if it was Cube or Feen who mentioned that you'd have to really put intentional effort into writing something that is that badly done.

In the context of the other magical girl show reviews, I hope that as they do more they expand into the broader genre and not just keep focused on Madoka followers. Precure has been mentioned offhand a couple of times, but iirc it didn't sound like either had finished an entire season. And to be fair, a 50 episode season is a much bigger ask than a 12 episode single cour show. But I think it'd be it would be interesting to hear the thoughts on magical girl shows that don't have a Madoka/Homura main character dynamic, or ones that aren't marketed mainly toward a male audience.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Haha, yessssss. I finally finished all the season 8 stuff and it's just-- baffling how the show only seems to work if you take each scene as being wholly disconnected from any other scene, not just in the show or season, but even within the episode itself. I forget if it was Cube or Feen who mentioned that you'd have to really put intentional effort into writing something that is that badly done.

In the context of the other magical girl show reviews, I hope that as they do more they expand into the broader genre and not just keep focused on Madoka followers. Precure has been mentioned offhand a couple of times, but iirc it didn't sound like either had finished an entire season. And to be fair, a 50 episode season is a much bigger ask than a 12 episode single cour show. But I think it'd be it would be interesting to hear the thoughts on magical girl shows that don't have a Madoka/Homura main character dynamic, or ones that aren't marketed mainly toward a male audience.

They mentioned recently that one of their big next projects is going through sailor moon.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

rannum posted:

They mentioned recently that one of their big next projects is going through sailor moon.

Crystal or the original show?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Crystal or the original show?

Original, using the new dub

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

rannum posted:

Original, using the new dub

Interesting! I haven't heard the new dub, but it'll be interesting to see how they view the show through 2021 eyes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

rannum posted:

their rwby vol 8 series makes a very strong case for this being a fake show, being ppropped up by false flag actors

as far as I can tell, the protagonists destroyed two cities and got a whole bunch of people killed for like, no reason? also they're doing the equivalent of bringing the one ring to sauron and just begging him to take it

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I know Cube has been watching this years precure anyway, she mentions it in their season taster episode.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Chapter 17 - Interstitial

Huh. She can generate healing potions, but still has times when she winds up injured on the following day. Very dangerous work, the Magical Girling.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah she's used healing potions at least once before. It seems pretty taxing, magic wise, and she's not able to fully fix herself up a lot of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah we've seen her run dry on being able to generate enough potions before, it seems like she usually goes right up to her limit so it's not uncommon for her to not have enough to heal with. Hopefully Zoe might knock some sense into her on that front.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The fact she can heal herself so casually now says to me that Zoe is helping her a lot to work efficiently and conserve her energy.

It's almost like Rue would have been better off in a team this entire time!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Zoey thinking Rue was about to nuke herself. :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:five:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:allears:

These two make a very cute couple.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

:sickos:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
New page

tess tess tess

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

haha too late Goops got to her first

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What? No, she's going to tell the president.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
clearly the outsider dude....'s pet rat

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe telling her mom would be appropriate.
Also her manager, this might be awful for her ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

What? No, she's going to tell the president.

The Tessident.