Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I can delete minibosses such as enemy wizards and monster kings in one, maybe two cascades

the level 1 death bolt spell has an upgrade that makes it permanently gain 1 damage whenever it kills something. you can get that upgrade at floor 2. At floor 4 you can pick up a spell called Death Cleave, which makes it so that whenever you kill a target with a spell it will recast that same spell on another random enemy. you can combine these 2 to literally wipe a floor in one cast(you can use Death Cleave before entering the portal).

when i got to the last boss Death Bolt did 700+ damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

cock hero flux posted:

the level 1 death bolt spell has an upgrade that makes it permanently gain 1 damage whenever it kills something. you can get that upgrade at floor 2. At floor 4 you can pick up a spell called Death Cleave, which makes it so that whenever you kill a target with a spell it will recast that same spell on another random enemy. you can combine these 2 to literally wipe a floor in one cast(you can use Death Cleave before entering the portal).

when i got to the last boss Death Bolt did 700+ damage.

lol there's also an echantment spell that reduces enemy dark and holy resistance so that would make this a build with no hard counters as long as you got that spell (twilight gaze or something)?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

lol there's also an echantment spell that reduces enemy dark and holy resistance so that would make this a build with no hard counters as long as you got that spell (twilight gaze or something)?

yeah you have to pick up that spell eventually. death bolt also creates skeletons from living units which will take care of dark immune enemies to begin with but eventually that falls off because their damage is fixed and not especially great.

late game you want to pick up Twilight Surge to deal with dark immune enemies and Shield Siphon to deal with enemies that have multiple shield layers. With those two spells in your kit your combo is almost unstoppable. There is only one enemy that will give you trouble: bone shamblers. They're undead and dark immune and when they split the split versions of them lose the Twilight Surge effect and get all their resistance back. A level with a lot of them and no living units to make skeletons out of is extremely painful.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I got my second win in Rift Wizard: Ice Tap + Word of Ice + Dominate to instantly steal control of most of a level.

I even Dominated the final boss, which caused the game to glitch out spectacularly, awarding me the Two Consecutive Wins achievement (this was not even close to consecutive with my first win), two wins towards Win Five Games, and five(!) wins towards Win Ten Games.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 27, 2021

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Monthly chunk of ADOM Ultimate seems to have finally, at least temporarily, dragged them out from the many suspect handed muck that is Mixed review quality on at least one front:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1266820/view/3023583167975070144

quote:

New content:
Two new languages!
You can now play the game in French and Spanish (the latter in both a South American and a European variant).

Brannalbin himself has intervened and deemed magic in general too weak. As a result, all spells are now much more powerful.
A major new game mechanic: Possession.
Become a frog, a dragon, a worm, a rat, an ogre, a hill giant or anything else that crawls, sneaks, runs or slithers through the Caverns of Chaos. If you find the magical means to do so.

Possibly related to the previous point, the enigmatic Temple Of The Frog is no longer empty.
Dark Elves emerge from the Deependark to test their skills and prowess against the terrors of the Caverns of Chaos.
Dark Elves have access to a very special skill tree available only to them for now.

Originally the class was meant to be introduced much later, but as Dark Elves share a natural affinity for such things, you can now play as an Assassin and skulk in the darkness, expertly wielding poisons and the very shadows themselves as weapons.
Magical Wands have been implemented!
You can find 22 different, fully functioning wands in the dungeons below. Enjoy experimenting with them!

Several new skill trees make their appearance, including the first “secret” skill - skills that will only unlock when you meet a certain prerequisite of other skills.
Because this is the first of them and not terribly secret yet, you will unlock Assassination only after spending points in the Stealth skill.
Arachnomancy (15 skills and 10 spells) will allow the summoning of spiders and is only available to Dark Elves for now.
Assassination (14 skills) will greatly increase the damage dealt while sneaking, among other things.
Poisoning (11 skills) is the first foray into alchemy, creating poisonous concoctions and improving their efficency.
Finally, you can now become a deadly warrior wielding whips (with 23 skills), if that is your thing. We are not judging.

Some monsters have become slightly smarter and now band together, patrolling the dungeon and hunt for adventurers.
11 new monster types have been added.

Bug Fixes:
Potions often didn’t work quite as intended. They should do that now, no matter if you coat your weapon, pour them out on the floor or actually drink them.
Giant spiders now actually work.
A ton of minor bug fixes.

The Roadmap is now in need of updating though, as this was some future plucking compared to all prior to now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh wtf, I've been really overlooking Arcane spells in Rift Wizard. Siphon Shields is super good and helps enormously, and it's so cheap too. Shield Steal only costs 1.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got my second win in Rift Wizard: Ice Tap + Word of Ice + Dominate to instantly steal control of most of a level.

I even Dominated the final boss, which caused the game to glitch out spectacularly, awarding me the Two Consecutive Wins achievement (this was not even close to consecutive with my first win), two wins towards Win Five Games, and five(!) wins towards Win Ten Games.

You got rewarded for beating the code!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anyone try vivid knight yet?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does anyone know how Death Cleave interacts with Death Shock? Does Shock propagate twice on a kill when Cleaved?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I really don't understand how any of you are getting anywhere with Rift Wizard. I can't even get past realm 4 and usually die by 3.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oldstench posted:

I really don't understand how any of you are getting anywhere with Rift Wizard. I can't even get past realm 4 and usually die by 3.

Early on, depending on what spells you've gotten (nukes or summons), you may need to prioritize spawners or to prioritize having enough space to summon an army.

Also, be careful with checking your enemies on the upcoming rifts. A summon build is going to have a real bad time with void/flame orbs, a nuke build is going to have a rough time dealing with mantids or boggarts (for example).

Don't over-focus with your memory orbs early on unless you can access something "broken" (like Death Bolt + Soul Battery), it's sometimes better to pick up a couple cantrips and Chain Lightning than it is to spend all your orbs on a level 4 skill or a level 4 spell that has only 8 charges.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oldstench posted:

At its core, the game is about efficiency. A level can spawn infinite enemies, so destroying spawners is a priority; you need to not get bogged down in fighting trash.

There are nearly infinite ways to do this and figuring them out is the core of the game -- a lot of it is build-oriented, but playing even the most broken build on total autopilot will eventually get you killed, and will be less efficient than stopping to think and prioritize.

e: also echoing "pick 2-3 elements and get the cantrips for all of them" -- once you're better at the game you can actually get pretty far by beelining for your combo and leaning hard on items to complete the early levels, but this is both demanding and risky and not worth it unless you already know that what you're going for will mean smooth sailing as soon as it's online

translocation spells are also indispensable; Teleport is expensive but extremely powerful (and it eventually leads into a build-agnostic engine that lets you recast powerful spells without chugging mana potions) and conversely any Arcane shrine is a good excuse to pick up Blink and the upgrade that makes it not require line of sight

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 28, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also join the official discord, people are happy to help new players and there's also a channel where people post their wins, if you want to see what viable builds look like. (i think as of a recent patch the victory page even displays spells and skills in purchase order instead of UI order)

https://discord.com/invite/NngFZ7B

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 28, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DrManiac posted:

Anyone try vivid knight yet?

Have you? I'm a little intrigued. The art is nice and bright although a bit basic and childish, and I do enjoy roguelikes with slightly different mechanics. Let me know if you've tried it and it's any good

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
In Rift Wizard, if you've ever looked at Knightly Oath and thought "I don't know if these knights are worth potentially 120 holy damage of feedback, especially as no enchantment spells give you holy resistance", you are smarter than I am, the person who said "I'm sure I can just use Healing Light to top them off" and watched the arcane knight teleport through a wall and get mobbed by frogs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

In Rift Wizard, if you've ever looked at Knightly Oath and thought "I don't know if these knights are worth potentially 120 holy damage of feedback, especially as no enchantment spells give you holy resistance", you are smarter than I am, the person who said "I'm sure I can just use Healing Light to top them off" and watched the arcane knight teleport through a wall and get mobbed by frogs.

I really want Knightly Oath to be good but it isn't at all. If you're going to use it you need Word of Beauty and a lot of Max HP at which point you're up at 18ish points for a combo which is both less good and more painful to build into then just maxing out a level 1 spell.

This is generally true of higher level offensive spells in Rift Wizard, they aren't as good as a combo centered on a level 1 spell which you are forced to take anyway, but it's especially egregious that Knightly Oath also kills you for casting it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you usually do want one because they're all good-to-great, but note that you are not actually forced to take a level 1 cantrip if you really don't want to -- there are three memory orbs on the starting floor and you start with one skill point. you just have to not get cornered by monsters on the way to getting them

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hmmm, I don't know, that sounds like a lot of work when I could just solve the level in 3-4 death bolts

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you usually do want one because they're all good-to-great, but note that you are not actually forced to take a level 1 cantrip if you really don't want to -- there are three memory orbs on the starting floor and you start with one skill point. you just have to not get cornered by monsters on the way to getting them

While it is technically true that you can take up to a level 4 spell on floor 1 they mostly seem designed such that doing so is a bad idea. They're typically scarce on charges and will cause you to burn through mana potions to sustain them. Running into a floor without any potions will leave you either dead or buying a level 1 spell as backup anyway.

Heavenly Blast, Fan of Flames and Giant Bear are all sorta viable level picks but I haven't won with any of them and they all have issues in one way or another.
Heavenly Blast doesn't do enough damage so you'll struggle for a few floors until you can afford whichever top tier summon you want to pair it with(don't go Knightly). Fan of Flames scales badly so late game it'll be pretty useless and also one time it stopped being able to deal damage at all and I couldn't figure out why. Giant Bear has low charges and is melee only so you'll have a hard time on any floor with evasive enemies, or shield enemies, or enemies that spawn things.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i started off a few games with only Dominate that went pretty well :v:

it was purely as a conceit, though, there's no strategic reason to do it

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Easy mode to get to realm 10 is spider queen + steel upgrade.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Summons in Rift Wizard seem extremely willing to include me, the wizard, in their blast radius.

Ice drakes are very useful for CCing enemies, but it’s less handy when they CC me!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nrook posted:

Summons in Rift Wizard seem extremely willing to include me, the wizard, in their blast radius.

Ice drakes are very useful for CCing enemies, but it’s less handy when they CC me!

they kind of have to have various drawbacks to make up for how wildly efficient they are compared to everything else

if the final boss weren't so hostile to pure summoning builds they'd be the easiest way to win

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 28, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that my talking about rift wizard on multiple discords has probably led to like 8-10 people buying it at the least, it's neat and deserves more funding. i'm excited to see whatever the dev adds since every single new bundle of spells/skills could add so much weird synergy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does anyone know how Death Cleave interacts with Death Shock? Does Shock propagate twice on a kill when Cleaved?

I seem to recall that death cleave annihilate only propagated once per kill but I'll have to double check.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that my talking about rift wizard on multiple discords has probably led to like 8-10 people buying it at the least, it's neat and deserves more funding. i'm excited to see whatever the dev adds since every single new bundle of spells/skills could add so much weird synergy.

Rift Wizard recently set a peak record for concurrent players :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3969073

There's definitely some small amount of attention buildup. I've submitted some feedback/UX requests (whyyy doesn't the cursor wraparound at the top or bottom of lists?), hopefully it gets some attention.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Rift Wizard also just updated today:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1271280/announcements/detail/3008947103099054315

quote:

Game Modes:
Added Archmage Trials. Trials have various mutators that make the game much more challenging, generally in a way which drastically alters the balance of the game and encourages different builds. Each challenge has a corresponding steam achievement unlocked upon completion. There are 14 challenges.
Added Weekly run. Weekly run is a randomly generated challenge. It has a random set of mutators, some of which are from archmage trials, some of which are unique to weekly runs. The weekly run uses a seeded levelgen system based on the current week, so the run itself will be identical for all players attempting it.
Reworked main menu a bit to make it more obvious when a run is about to be abandoned.

UI:
The UI is now much more liberal with displaying spell, item, and skill icons. Overall I think this gives the game a more colorful and inviting vibe.

Content:
Added Silkshifter upgrade: Makes you a web spewing spider, refunds translocation spells that target webs.
Added redcaps, mid level fire mushroom tossing monsters and distant cousins to gnomes
Necromancers now raise living units rather than non undead, bringing their reanimation passive in line with player reanimation spells
Clay hound cost 3->6
Reincarnation now stuns the reincarnating unit for one turn
Renamed '-1 LOS' upgrades to 'Blindcasting' upgrades
Summoned Bloodbears are now properly tagged as demons
Secondary explosions caused by the spreading flame upgrade no longer consume charges. If you somehow gain charges via flame burst (demonbane shrine for example), you can now keep them.
Fixed crash that occurred when putting White Candle shrine on Blue Lion
Choir of angels now properly uses minion damage bonuses
Mordred is no longer stun immune, but gains stun immunity after recovering from stun, just like the wizard

Misc Bugfixes:
Fixed bug where damage bonuses were not applied to melee attacks (including but not limited to bloodhound bloodrage)
Fixed several bugs which led to damage being attributed to the wrong source, or to 'unnamed buff'
Fixed a bug where fleeing vampire bats would try to swap position with lairs, swapping them into chasms and crashing the game
Fixed a bug where clearing a level and dying on the same turn would cause an infinite loop, crashing the game
Fixed a bug which wrote spurious 0 damage entries to the combat log
Fixed crash that occurred when pressing m while the message log was already open
Fixed a pointless delay while aborting portal peeks
Added little spell (and item, and skill) icons to the character sheet and shop screen
Made shrine tooltips slightly clearer

A note on savefiles: if you have an old save file, it might not be compatible with the new game version. If you run into crash-on-load, try setting your beta version to "Upgrades Upgraded" until you finish your current run.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Death Bolt + Charred Bone owns

Not sure what else to add to this build. Current spells are:
* Magic Missile
* Chain Lightning (+Cascade Range)
* Death Bolt (+Soul Battery, +Max Charges, **Charred Bone** (when skeletons die they deal half their max HP as fire damage to 4 random targets))
* Blink (+Blindcasting)

I kinda want to try out Ghostfire (summon burning ghosts when enemies take Dark + Fire damage in the same round) but I'm not sure what a good spell would be to trigger that since Death Bolt only targets one enemy at a time and the skeletons do physical damage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostfire would probably be really good if there were as many ways to trigger it as there are Steam Anima but unfortunately your options are all extremely limited and inconsistent. I've tried really hard to make it work but the fact that you have to rely on minions or ambient effects to get an activation is like ten times harder to achieve for a smaller payoff (one guy instead of like half a dozen).

e: that said, Death Cleave will definitely make Death Bolt target many enemies per round :v:

the only issue is if you have the Death Cleave + Bolt engine going, Ghostfire becomes a pure vanity pick and there are like half a dozen or more skills that would be a better use of your points to support it

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 29, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking over the Fire/Dark list I think the most reliable way to trigger Ghostfire would be something like Eye of Fire (or just plain Fireball) combined with Nightmare Aura or Ghostball.

Maybe Death Gaze would be good for that, but you'd need a bunch of minions first. Flame Gate + Fan of Flames + Death Gaze maybe?

Anyway I'm still not sure what direction to take my current Death Bolt + Charred Bone build. Maybe Death Cleave and Necrostatics and then figure out some sort of high-powered lightning spell to nuke everything on the map after I've turned everything living into skeletons?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eye of Fire + Nightmare Aura would let you do it passively, which would be nice, although IIRC Nightmare Aura randomly alternates between two damage types for some reason and Eye of Fire only targets one enemy per turn so you're still looking at a deep investment for a so-so result

Nightmare Aura + Searing Heat is probably the "intended" way to do it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Got my first win with this build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAavMB2gNoM
(this is the floor before the last boss, so no spoilers here!)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 29, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nice! I'm surprised you didn't take Lightning Form, though, it'd give you immunity to your own effects and potentially-infinite duration mobility is also a hoot.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I probably should have, yeah, but for the most part it wasn't necessary, floor 24 + 25 are the only floors I really took self damage on. For every other floor I just looked for a wide open floor with no walls and destroyed the entire map in 1-2 turns without nearly killing myself.

e: Now that I understand that going all in on one element in your spellbook is totally ok as long as you focus on things that multiply that damage as other elements, I feel like build creation is a lot more flexible and I can't wait to try the same thing with other elements! The amount of Holy/Dark/Ice being added to my lightning spells was enormous. I ran across a few enemies with 100% lightning/100% dark/50% holy resist which was about as tough as it got, but I was doing enough Holy damage to kill them in 2 Lightning Bolts.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 29, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those archmage trials the dev added with the update are loving brutal, good lord

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

okay i splatted on Realm 16 after not really diversifying my build enough, but Ghostfire isn't quite as bad as I thought. it's still not as good as Steam Anima but Steam Anima is probably one of the best and easiest ways to win in the game right now, so that's not that big of a deal

Nightmare Aura + Searing Heat is definitely the way to go, and Boiling Blood was the sleeper hit of the build -- the buff to your minions stacks with itself, so you cast the upgraded version twice and now your guys are doing +24 damage

i'm not sure i'll ever bother with Ghostfire again but I'm definitely taking the Dark-upgraded version of Boiling Blood next time I do a necromancer build

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Flame Gate is really great and similar to Steam Anima, I think I like it more actually because it's just raw power instead of relying on the combo of freeze -> hit with fire. You just cast fire spells every turn and upgrade their radius/range to let you hit basically the whole map from anywhere and the map gets flooded with fire constructs. You could even combine it with a steam anima build if you want to get frisky.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Now that I understand that going all in on one element in your spellbook is totally ok as long as you focus on things that multiply that damage as other elements, I feel like build creation is a lot more flexible and I can't wait to try the same thing with other elements! The amount of Holy/Dark/Ice being added to my lightning spells was enormous. I ran across a few enemies with 100% lightning/100% dark/50% holy resist which was about as tough as it got, but I was doing enough Holy damage to kill them in 2 Lightning Bolts.

Redealing doesn't work if the enemy doesn't take the initial damage, though. Like you may have been getting bonus Holy damage from something that adds it directly but e.g. Holy Thunder doesn't do that, it's useless against Lightning-immune enemies.

e: Most cantrips have upgrades that give them straight bonus damage of multiple types, but that's just the cantrips.

e2: i guess i'm just underestimating how much of it comes from clouds or other riders

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 29, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

That's funny, because reading about it here has convinced me that it's a masterclass in bad design and not to touch it with a ten foot pole. Hundreds of different spells! (Just upgrade the one you start with.) Millions of potential combos! (But you'll use the same one every time.) 25 levels of increasing difficulty! (That you'll either steamroller or be hard countered by.)

Am I missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Loving Rift Wizard, it's really fun to just spin it up a couple times a day and see how far I get (not far, but I'm getting better).

Honestly it's embarrassing but I keep dying with healing potions in my inventory because I get so drawn into the cycle of blowing up enemies I forget to make sure I'm not almost dead. I never look over there and the health number is so small and unemphasized! Doesn't help that it's not always super clear on-screen when an enemy is hitting you with some spells. Hopefully they'll add a low health popup or red screen borders or something like that to wake me up.