Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah iirc the main forum community basically died with the first forums, only a handful of people bothered to move to the new ones with the crappier interface.

The thing about modding knowledge is true, though, so many questions I've had have been solved by Google leading me to old-rear end archived forum posts. Searching Discord logs sucks in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The old Bethesda forums were basically my 'internet home' for most of my teenage life. Played on their Minecraft servers, made some good internet friends, the whole shebang.

I bumped over here to SA at some point and fell out of contact, but yeah, the historical Bethesda forums died and what is there now is not much.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I have a sneaking suspicion that the next es game will put mods exclusively in the creation club, in which case skyrim will be the only es game I play ever again so here's to the next 3.4k days

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Rainbow Knight posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the next es game will put mods exclusively in the creation club, in which case skyrim will be the only es game I play ever again so here's to the next 3.4k days

There's starting to be some leaks coming out around Starfield and if some of them are accurate it sounds like Microsoft is actually doubling down HARD on mods.

Todd has always said that TES and Fallout games sell really well for a really long time and they know full well it's because of mods. More to the point modding actually makes people buy the DLCs- even Hearthfire is required by a large portion of housing mods. It's self-perpetuating monetization. For free.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

The old Bethesda forums were basically my 'internet home' for most of my teenage life. Played on their Minecraft servers, made some good internet friends, the whole shebang.

I bumped over here to SA at some point and fell out of contact, but yeah, the historical Bethesda forums died and what is there now is not much.

Yeah, I moved over to SA from the old Bethesda forums a long time ago too. It was a pretty chill place, except for the occasional crazy modder drama. Some of those folks were/are weeeeiiiird.

Sky Shadowing posted:

There's starting to be some leaks coming out around Starfield and if some of them are accurate it sounds like Microsoft is actually doubling down HARD on mods.

Todd has always said that TES and Fallout games sell really well for a really long time and they know full well it's because of mods. More to the point modding actually makes people buy the DLCs- even Hearthfire is required by a large portion of housing mods. It's self-perpetuating monetization. For free.

Well that sounds encouraging, its one of the things that really distinguishes ES games from everything else. That said, it would be kinda funny if they overcompensate and make a Roblox style *user generated content* platform :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 26, 2021

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sky Shadowing posted:

An overreliance on mods makes me wary. It's already bad enough that people will wave away problems with a game because "I can just install mods!" so that might make them gut the game of content because they know mods will just fill in the blanks. And Bethesda fans are made up of enough sheep that they'll eat it right up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TheLoneStar posted:

An overreliance on mods makes me wary. It's already bad enough that people will wave away problems with a game because "I can just install mods!" so that might make them gut the game of content because they know mods will just fill in the blanks. And Bethesda fans are made up of enough sheep that they'll eat it right up.

I have the same worry. Then again, the QOL improvements from Skyrim to FO4 have me very cautiously optimistic for the future.
Then again, the most important elements for me are building stuff like settlements, decorating and fashion. Going out killing dudes is a diiiiiistant second.

If the next ES game gives you one huge plot of land with a heavily refined settlement mechanic (that actually, you know, does something) then I will be happy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TheLoneStar posted:

it's a videogame, not youtube.

most people don't even play these games with mods.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's a videogame, not youtube.

most people don't even play these games with mods.
I don't know what that even means.

And considering some mods will have millions of downloads by themselves, I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. And not really the point either.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I ditched all my regular mods and got some creation club mods, they're pretty sweet

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

I ditched all my regular mods and got some creation club mods, they're pretty sweet

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TheLoneStar posted:

I don't know what that even means.

And considering some mods will have millions of downloads by themselves, I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. And not really the point either.

is your point that some people wave off your criticism of games by saying "you can just fix it with mods"?

if so, good point, i also hate when people do that.

is your point that people making a game will wave off work by saying "they can just fix it with mods"?

if so, i don't think that's real. i didn't enjoy oblivion or skyrim but people worked hard on them. just, you know, wrongly.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Before caring about the modability of Starfield, I'd like to know what the game even is.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

is your point that some people wave off your criticism of games by saying "you can just fix it with mods"?

if so, good point, i also hate when people do that.

is your point that people making a game will wave off work by saying "they can just fix it with mods"?

if so, i don't think that's real. i didn't enjoy oblivion or skyrim but people worked hard on them. just, you know, wrongly.
It was sort of both. I especially hate the former. I can't help but roll my eyes when someone talks about how a game is a classic that MUST be played...but only if you install a list of about fifty mods. Looking at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Morrowind with that one.

But maybe I'm just jaded, but I can kind of see it happening with game developers taking shortcuts because mods will fix the problems, especially with how much mods for Bethesda games boomed with Skyrim and Fallout 4. I feel like they already do that with bugs and glitches.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I definitely think the prevalence of mods has a huge impact on the priorities of the developers, though it's hard to pinpoint that to a direct consequences

It's similar to devs being able to pump out day 1 or big post-launch patches. The ability to fix your game after launch doesn't by itself cause developers to become lazy or incompetent, but the goal of "this game absolutely has to be finished by launch" isn't quite as important as it once was, and that leads to more rough and underbaked games being released

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Most of the time people talk about "fixing" the game with mods, they're not actually fixing anything, rather they're tailoring the game to their preferences. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you recognize that your preferences are not absolute.

A good example of this is for Fallout 3 a lot of mods will up the base damage of weapons, decrease the damage scaling from skill, and increase the amount that skills affect accuracy. This is actually how Bethesda originally had set up the game, before playtesting revealed that most people didn't like it! People would rather hit 4/5 times for 20 damage than 1/5 for for 80.

Making a game mod friendly is a hell of a lot of work just by itself. Don't poo poo on devs that do it by claiming they're doing it to be lazy.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 26, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

I definitely think the prevalence of mods has a huge impact on the priorities of the developers, though it's hard to pinpoint that to a direct consequences

It's similar to devs being able to pump out day 1 or big post-launch patches. The ability to fix your game after launch doesn't by itself cause developers to become lazy or incompetent, but the goal of "this game absolutely has to be finished by launch" isn't quite as important as it once was, and that leads to more rough and underbaked games being released

I suspect games back before patching was a thing were still buggy and partly finished, they just never got fixed. Or are we gonna pretend Daggerfall was from some bygone age when games were shipped in a finished state?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'm excited for starfield and elder scrolls

the more games released the most things i have to play, and as a gamer this is what i'm into

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Thats hosed up, but I wish you well

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheLoneStar posted:

Some people secretly lust after Roblox but will never admit it.

It's okay to build and modify things!

Most people just want to play the drat game, though.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

alright i'm just gonna run through the parts of the lore i'm confused about. spoil away ftr this game is 100 years old

So the Tribunal used to be homies with this dude Neverar and the Ashlanders want Neverar reincarnated to drive all non-Dunmer out of Morrowind. Great. So why don't the Tribunal, who I think also enjoy the tall glass of racial prejudice or whatever that everyone else in this game does, want that to happen? I guess when they say the Neverarine is gonna get rid of false gods they mean getting rid of the Tribunal and going back to worshipping the Daedra?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Doc Fission posted:

alright i'm just gonna run through the parts of the lore i'm confused about. spoil away ftr this game is 100 years old

So the Tribunal used to be homies with this dude Neverar and the Ashlanders want Neverar reincarnated to drive all non-Dunmer out of Morrowind. Great. So why don't the Tribunal, who I think also enjoy the tall glass of racial prejudice or whatever that everyone else in this game does, want that to happen? I guess when they say the Neverarine is gonna get rid of false gods they mean getting rid of the Tribunal and going back to worshipping the Daedra?
Because on top of that, the Nerevarine is also supposed to dismantle the Tribunal and cast them down. Those two actions would go hand-in-hand as part of the prophecy.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

However at this point vivec is aware his power is waning and would rather see dagoth ur defeated even if he dies too

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

vivec specifically is also "godly" from another source of power, i.e. CHIM. he may have gotten there through the power he shares with almalexia and sotha sil, but as vivec possessed a half of himself "outside of time" while alive, he was able to touch any part of the timeline achronologically and thus can't be said to ever be "dead" in the same sense you would use for a mortal. you could be walking around 4000 years later and bam, there's vivec just chilling.

this is basically similar to talos's ascension; tiber septim died, but not all of him.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

While Lorkhan just sometimes forgets he is dead, and this turns out poorly for his enemies.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Doc Fission posted:

There's also the part of the story where the Tribunal betrayed and brutally killed Nerevar as part of a ritual to attain their divinity. There's a hint of revenge in the prophecy that the Nerevarine will cast down the Tribunal while kicking out all the other races.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I just got Skyrim for PS4 and I’ve never played it before. Are there any mods I should download that will improve the game considerably but won’t change the gameplay experience too much?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

I just got Skyrim for PS4 and I’ve never played it before. Are there any mods I should download that will improve the game considerably but won’t change the gameplay experience too much?
If they're available the unofficial patches fixes a lot of bugs and doesn't do anything else.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

MeinPanzer posted:

I played a billion hours on 360 without mods, so you really don't need them at all. After having access to mods on Xbone, I can say the only mod truly required to enjoy the game at its fullest is Khajiit Child Maisha

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TresTristesTigres posted:

I played a billion hours on 360 without mods, so you really don't need them at all. After having access to mods on Xbone, I can say the only mod truly required to enjoy the game at its fullest is Khajiit Child Maisha
I think you accidentally linked the wrong child mod. The Fat Idiot Son Mod is much better.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

I think you accidentally linked the wrong child mod. The Fat Idiot Son Mod is much better.

I looked this up on youtube, and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPjE75WMAWI

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Is it possible to have a 100 percent freeing slaves completion rate in Morrowind. Please remember I am new to this game and a dumbass

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

No, some slaves dont have keys

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

No, some slaves dont have keys

What about that farmhouse that the slaves ask you to take them to that also has a slave of its own? Also, is that the entirety of the Twin Lamps? Or is there more? I don't want to look this one up.

panic state fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 8, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Inzombiac posted:

I wonder if they're going to do anything for the 10 year anniversary of Skyrim.

One more remaster.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The Washington Post did an oopsie and released the Starfield Trailer too soon.

11-11-22.
Also "Creation Engine 2", so it's a good guess we're going to get the same level of being able to mod the game. It'll likely have the same jankyness too of course, but that's because it's Bethesda.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

The Washington Post did an oopsie and released the Starfield Trailer too soon.

11-11-22.
Also "Creation Engine 2", so it's a good guess we're going to get the same level of being able to mod the game. It'll likely have the same jankyness too of course, but that's because it's Bethesda.

I wonder what clipping out of space looks like

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

It'll be like those memes where someone falls through a dimensional portal and ends up in the Skyrim intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So it turns out that when Bethesda got into a trademark fight with some author over the name "Redfall", that wasn't about TES VI.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1404146297033068549?s=19