Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly I'd make an SA mart thread asking for people's older cards. Someone probably has something they'd part with that would work for that, at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacegrass posted:

What's the best video card at or under $50/75 that will work? I just want to play simcity 3000 and cs go/source

i hope you don't mind but i asked in the GPU thread and someone has a 750ti spare if you want it? that would solve your problem entirely. unfortunately you don't have PMs - reply with idk a discord or something and we'll sort something out

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Originally posted in the PC Building thread but realized it might be better here.

I want to share a bunch of peripherals between my Mac and my PC, given my work from home setup, and I want to switch as few wires as possible. However, I'm trying to power a lot of stuff, so a normal USB switch doesn't seem like it'll work.

My plan is to add a TB3 card to my PC, which is using the Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO mobo: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qXBhP6/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-pro

This is a sketch of the setup I'm considering. Note that the dock doesn't support 144hz so I'm connecting the monitor using two cables and manually switching the input on the monitor, since I'm gaming on my PC.

So two primary questions here:

1. Anything seem especially crazy about this? Is there an easier to way to accomplish this?
2. Any recommendations on a TB3 PCIe card I can throw into my PC? Should I just get the cheapest one?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

CoolCab posted:

i hope you don't mind but i asked in the GPU thread and someone has a 750ti spare if you want it? that would solve your problem entirely. unfortunately you don't have PMs - reply with idk a discord or something and we'll sort something out

Thanks anyway, but I just want to research this on my own. Anyway; I got paid today but my banks computers were all broke down.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacegrass posted:

Thanks anyway, but I just want to research this on my own. Anyway; I got paid today but my banks computers were all broke down.

aye, no worries. if you change your mind let me know, again dude was throwing it away- 750ti is about perfect for your power budget/game objectives and you'd be saving it from winding up in a landfill, although you might need to reapply the thermal paste to it.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

How much does he want for it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacegrass posted:

How much does he want for it?

nowt, mate. i'd have sent you something myself but it would cost more to ship it from over here than it's worth. goons are all tech hoarders, here it's this dude, if you're interested give him your email in there or whatever, you don't have PMs. i got parts in my machine i got when a goon friend of mine upgraded, i mean poo poo. it saves it from a landfill.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

I have a 750ti I'll just straight up gift him if he's in the continental US.
It came out of an Alienware so it's kinda lovely, but it was working when I replaced it however many years ago.

you might wanna reapply the thermal paste, it goes bad after about five or so years and that might cause you some thermal issues but i'm sure there's a youtube out there for it (and tbh i'm sure there are worse 750tis in operation out there even if you didn't). it's an older part and as such i don't know if it will last forever but with maintenance cards like it go to a decade of active service quite often. and like in the youtube it might need a riser to fit in the case.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

OK, give me his email and I'll send him a message. Thanks a million.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Spacegrass posted:

OK, give me his email and I'll send him a message. Thanks a million.

That's me!

Toss me an email: [REDACTED]

CAR CRASH CRACKERS fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 27, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's the proper way to dispose of a PSU?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bring it to an E-waste recycling center/collection point.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

In addition to what the poster above me said, absolutely don't open it up to grab spare components for projects, those are serious capacitors in there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

In addition to what the poster above me said, absolutely don't open it up to grab spare components for projects, those are serious capacitors in there.

But those are good for projects! Just be certain you know how to safely discharge them if you want them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It was dirt cheap when it was new a decade ago, those caps aren't going anywhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda disappointed someone didn’t recommend throwing it into the ocean.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone tried to tell me that pushing the power button for 15 seconds ought to clear the CMOS.

That even true? Because that'd be a helpful tip for when dealing with cheap as poo poo boards. But the Internet doesn't know about it, and the only explanation why it should work is because that guy has a quasi dead CMOS battery.

--edit:
Nevermind, this wisdom just came, so I guess I'm to ignore any other claims.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 29, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone tried to tell me that pushing the power button for 15 seconds ought to clear the CMOS.

That even true? Because that'd be a helpful tip for when dealing with cheap as poo poo boards. But the Internet doesn't know about it, and the only explanation why it should work is because that guy has a quasi dead CMOS battery.

--edit:

If you unplug your pc/turn off your PSU and hold the power button I think it actually can do some kind of BIOS reset. Not sure how long! Most decent mobos now have pins that you can bridge to do the same thing IIRC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

VelociBacon posted:

If you unplug your pc/turn off your PSU and hold the power button I think it actually can do some kind of BIOS reset. Not sure how long! Most decent mobos now have pins that you can bridge to do the same thing IIRC.
The pins have been there since the dawn of time, AFAIK. At some point better mainboards introduced an easy to press button either on the board or on the IO backplate. This power button thing is news to me. The only references I can find to that is a suggestion to do that to force discharge some caps, after yanking the battery, in case you're going that far. Thus the question.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've definitely revived a few dead laptops back in the day by holding down the power button after removing the battery. Something to do with a residual charge on the CMOS? I still do it as an early troubleshooting step since it only takes a minute.

There's usually a pin or special button combo for resetting the BIOS/restoring to factory default but the steps vary between manufacturers and models.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:

This is definitely true of some laptop OEMs but not a universal fact. On laptops you usually remove the battery and hold down the power button to do this trick.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
What's the cheapest pre-built home theatre PC I can buy that can play 4k video without hiccups? If my current TV-dedicated laptop stutters at another 1080p video I'm going to put it through the window.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

just another posted:

What's the cheapest pre-built home theatre PC I can buy that can play 4k video without hiccups? If my current TV-dedicated laptop stutters at another 1080p video I'm going to put it through the window.

What are your laptop specs? It’s possible that you’re facing an IO bottleneck rather than a processor or gpu bottleneck, and you could get away with a simple upgrade from an HDD to an SSD.

Otherwise probably an old enterprise workstation. Like a Dell optiplex or the HP thing, or even a Lenovo Thinkcentre.

Your best option is probably some kind of set top box anyway, you can’t really match the cost/benefit of an NVidia Shield or Apple TV or Roku and Plex running on a raspberry pi or something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Call a local computer store and ask if they take e-waste. The local computer store closest to me is actually owned by a recycling company (which makes sense, I guess)

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Anyone familiar with readers for old hard drives? I recently pulled a MHA2032AT out of an old lap top, and I'm curious to take a look at it. However, I can't seem to get this reader, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHDTRJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, to work on it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MooselanderII posted:

Anyone familiar with readers for old hard drives? I recently pulled a MHA2032AT out of an old lap top, and I'm curious to take a look at it. However, I can't seem to get this reader, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHDTRJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, to work on it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

According to specs that drive requires 1100 mA for spinup, which I believe is double what standard USB can deliver. You would need an old style 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter, and then you need to find molex power from somewhere.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Saukkis posted:

According to specs that drive requires 1100 mA for spinup, which I believe is double what standard USB can deliver. You would need an old style 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter, and then you need to find molex power from somewhere.

Thanks! I am not particularly familiar with this sort of thing, I use that item to then connect to my other adapter and USB that into my current computer?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I bought a UPS in 2013. Today I noticed it clicked on its fan, ran it for a few seconds, clicked it off/on very rapidly, ran a few seconds, clicked off/on, etc. Then it spun the fan down, then it spun back up again a few seconds later and repeated. It did this for maybe a few minutes, then stopped. Is this a known Bad Sign for UPSes? Any recommendations on replacements if one is warranted? I could just get the same thing again, it's done its job well enough I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I bought a UPS in 2013. Today I noticed it clicked on its fan, ran it for a few seconds, clicked it off/on very rapidly, ran a few seconds, clicked off/on, etc. Then it spun the fan down, then it spun back up again a few seconds later and repeated. It did this for maybe a few minutes, then stopped. Is this a known Bad Sign for UPSes? Any recommendations on replacements if one is warranted? I could just get the same thing again, it's done its job well enough I guess.

Have you replaced the batteries recently? It generally needs to be done every 3-5 years or so.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
poo poo, really? No, I've never replaced the batteries. :downs:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

poo poo, really? No, I've never replaced the batteries. :downs:

Yeah, they'll last until they don't. Here's the instructions:
https://dl4jz3rbrsfum.cloudfront.net/documents/CyberPower_UM_CP1500AVRLCD.pdf
Here's a cyberpower video on doing it which is nice because it shows the screw locations (and yes it may be hard to get the door off even with the screws out):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOaXXMU78E

You don't have to use Cyberpower branded batteries since they don't make batteries, they just slap a sticker on whatever they get. I bought these last year for a similar model and they've been fine plus it's like half the cost:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRXR223/

Note that the yellow wire just hooks the + of one battery to the - of the other so that the total voltage is 24v for the UPS, the red and black actually power the unit. The batteries are sealed lead acid so make sure to dispose of the old ones with whatever the local government wants, you don't want to put a brick of lead in the landfill. Around here they take them during e-waste events four times a year or so.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 31, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rexxed posted:

The batteries are sealed lead acid so make sure to dispose of the old ones with whatever the local government wants, you don't want to put a brick of lead in the landfill. Around here they take them during e-waste events four times a year or so.

Any store with an automotive department that sells and replaces car batteries will probably take them off your hands for free any time of the year (they actually get money for recycling them).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MooselanderII posted:

Thanks! I am not particularly familiar with this sort of thing, I use that item to then connect to my other adapter and USB that into my current computer?

Yes, in theory it should work, those are completely passive. But getting power for it may be a problem. Most likely source is a desktop computer's PSU, but I'm not sure if newer PSUs still have the old molex cable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, they'll last until they don't. Here's the instructions:
https://dl4jz3rbrsfum.cloudfront.net/documents/CyberPower_UM_CP1500AVRLCD.pdf
Here's a cyberpower video on doing it which is nice because it shows the screw locations (and yes it may be hard to get the door off even with the screws out):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOaXXMU78E

You don't have to use Cyberpower branded batteries since they don't make batteries, they just slap a sticker on whatever they get. I bought these last year for a similar model and they've been fine plus it's like half the cost:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRXR223/

Indiana_Krom posted:

Any store with an automotive department that sells and replaces car batteries will probably take them off your hands for free any time of the year (they actually get money for recycling them).

Great, thanks for the advice, both of you!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm starting a new job next week fully remote so I'll need a webcam for work stuff and skyping with clients etc. I've been out of the webcam game for like 20 years so I don't know what's good anymore. Nowadays is anything cheap off Amazon that's 1080p going to be fine or do I still need to buy a $100 Logitech to look and sound professional?

For the past year I've been using my laptop next to my desktop as a Skype machine and I'd like to stick to just using one computer for work going forward.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d spend the $100 tbh.

Some of the cheaper ones say 1080p but have poo poo sensors or cameras.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
You can’t really go wrong with a Logitech 920. They’re not the cheapest, but I’ve always had good experiences with the quality.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The cheap webcams tend to have OK sensors but lovely microphones. Most of them use basic Windows webcam drivers which will randomly stop working. Buy the Logitech or alternatively a Microsoft cam.

I bought a B920 right when lockdowns started and was glad I didn't wait later when they were impossible to find. C920 is the updated version.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Thanks, I'll stick to the Logitech then.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey there. For reasons, I wanna give making youtube videos a shot. I dont have the money right now to spend on a new fancy camera so I was just going to use my galxey S9 phone. But one problem I ran into is it stops recording after 10 minuets. Are there any apps out there that can allow me to record longer videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Much easier to just plan your shooting so that you're not doing clips longer than ten min. Almost nobody actually does ten min uninterrupted uncut shots - by the time you've done b roll and have other stuff on screen you're showing you'll find your clips are closer to 2-3 min long.